Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102363 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2275 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07:20 PM

So...

...Those blasters really don't have much for stopping force, do they?

About as much as any game that uses hitpoints and guns.  Two systems I hate seeing mixed, even if the game is awesome.

Is it any better than melee combat? Protip: Being stabbed through the brain with a sharp metal object does not do 1D6+12 hit points of damage. It kills a person dead.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2276 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07:24 PM

Hating on Star Wars if pretty fun, given that it's the most overrated anything of all time, ever.
Somehow, that's an understatement.

Every country has their thing though, like Japan has Dragon Quest, and England has British Football Teams.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2277 on: September 13, 2009, 06:11:25 PM

So...

About as much as any game that uses hitpoints and guns.  Two systems I hate seeing mixed, even if the game is awesome.

Is it any better than melee combat? Protip: Being stabbed through the brain with a sharp metal object does not do 1D6+12 hit points of damage. It kills a person dead.

Shit, didn't we have this discussion in this thread already, like 50 pages ago.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2278 on: September 13, 2009, 06:21:32 PM

It's only a problem when the mudflation pushes character HPs above a dozen...

of course, that's entirely aside from the catch which is how much fun it is to be Greedo when Han gets to shoot first.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:24:07 PM by tmp »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2279 on: September 13, 2009, 07:52:02 PM

Which D&D addressed long back in terms of saying non-fatal damage indicates a desperate dodge, parry or a superficial wound. The "blade through the head" happens when the hit points run out. And this could be done in MMO's. It would look a lot more dramatic if the opponent visually avoided all but the fatal blows. At least for smaller creatures, very large mobs could still be expected to sit and take it and would look silly dodging anyway.

It all comes down to money for the animations I guess, and secondly the players screaming "why am I not hitting him?" if they don't see each shot connect.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2280 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:13 PM

It all comes down to money for the animations I guess, and secondly the players screaming "why am I not hitting him?" if they don't see each shot connect.

The shots would still be connecting; there's already a mechanic in place for misses and dodges and so on.  You'd just have to show people getting hit in the shoulder or whatever (which is difficult when you've got mobs and PCs of varying sizes).  Even then, though, it looks rediculous if your group is pelting the guy with thirty laser blasts and they somehow all miss his vitals.  And the fact that melee attacks in MMOs usually pass completely through the mob regardless doesn't help.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2281 on: September 13, 2009, 08:26:08 PM

The shots would still be connecting; there's already a mechanic in place for misses and dodges and so on.  You'd just have to show people getting hit in the shoulder or whatever (which is difficult when you've got mobs and PCs of varying sizes).  Even then, though, it looks rediculous if your group is pelting the guy with thirty laser blasts and they somehow all miss his vitals.  And the fact that melee attacks in MMOs usually pass completely through the mob regardless doesn't help.

At the end of the day, I think the point is mostly that would a complex system of animations and whatever else is needed to really make this happen isn't really going to help boxes get off the shelves and monthly fees get paid.  Is it neat to see in videos, definitely, but realistically, its still reducing a bar to 0 to defeat an enemy, and its a hell of a lot less work to do it the "normal" way.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2282 on: September 13, 2009, 09:25:06 PM

I think the point is mostly that would a complex system of animations and whatever else is needed to really make this happen isn't really going to help boxes get off the shelves and monthly fees get paid.

Not that I disagree, but the day MMO developers start developing games which will move more boxes, instead of games which will look prettier in videos, will be the day they stop designing games that can't be played on computers more than a year old.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2283 on: September 13, 2009, 09:28:19 PM

The shots would still be connecting; there's already a mechanic in place for misses and dodges and so on.  You'd just have to show people getting hit in the shoulder or whatever (which is difficult when you've got mobs and PCs of varying sizes).

It actually isn't.  Most of the formats for 3D models support data nodes which can be used as attachment points for animated effects and other models.  You don't have to have a massive lookup table or some such shit for finding where the monster's forehead is when that data can be included in the header of the model file.

The actual hard part would be making it work game mechanic wise.  Realistically you'd want the combat to look like a gunfight with a lot of dodging and acrobatics going on that gets finished when one guy zeroes in and scores a few direct hits, rather than two guys with piss poor aim blasting at the guy standing 30 yards away in the hopes of hitting.  Rename health "focus" or something in that respect and include a whole slew of evasive abilities and stances that buff mitigation or return focus that you'd expect in a space opera.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2284 on: September 13, 2009, 09:53:30 PM

That's something that is disappointing me with these SWTOR game play videos. I was hoping all of the Blaster classes would be able to make use of cover the way the Smuggler does. The Bounty Hunter and the Trooper just kinda stand around all retarded and shooting.

Basically, on top of the animations being shitty, it just looks dumb on a practical level. Super elite HAVOC Squad Trooper heads into battle RedCoat style. 

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2285 on: September 13, 2009, 09:54:28 PM

The speculation about how the game is a failure because we've seen a couple of scripted clips showing off one aspect in an alpha build every single thing they have said about the game, and everything they have showed from the game, reeks of 'we have no fucking idea what we're doing, but we're absurdly self-confident anyway' is pretty spot on, if tiresome.

It's not too early. The only thing that could make it more certain that this game is going to fail would be schild going Hellgate/I Am Legend froth over it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2286 on: September 13, 2009, 10:10:35 PM

That's something that is disappointing me with these SWTOR game play videos. I was hoping all of the Blaster classes would be able to make use of cover the way the Smuggler does. The Bounty Hunter and the Trooper just kinda stand around all retarded and shooting.

It's faithful to the source material.

Edit: The thing about the animations is: this is not a low budget game. Earth Defense Force animations make sense in EDF, which was made for little money and sold at a budget price. A "AAA" title should be able to do a little bit better.

Edit2: The idea of other people in my group outvoting me and choosing quest options I don't like strikes me as inane.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:19:19 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2287 on: September 14, 2009, 12:56:10 AM

So...

Shit, didn't we have this discussion in this thread already, like 50 pages ago.

Probably.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2288 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:15 AM

Which D&D addressed long back in terms of saying non-fatal damage indicates a desperate dodge, parry or a superficial wound. The "blade through the head" happens when the hit points run out.

1. Which is bullshit gamespeak for "This is totally unrealistic, but fun, so just pretend something less ridiculous is happening."

2. If you're going to wank damage mechanics that way, you can do the same with gun wounds.  awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2289 on: September 14, 2009, 01:21:50 AM

Hating on Star Wars if pretty fun, given that it's the most overrated anything of all time, ever.
we have to give star wars credit for some things. At its best it's a Cool Engine that results in really fun shit like X Wing v. Tie Fighter.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2290 on: September 14, 2009, 02:20:23 AM

Given the number of Star Wars games that have been made the existence of a few good ones is just statistics.

I would give the credit to X Wing v Tie Fighter to the people who worked on that game rather than the incredible power of a movie series that features a galactic empire being beaten by logs rolled by teddy bears.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2291 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41:27 AM

About that voting thing, what happens when the vote is a tie?  Everyone just goes home and nothing happens at all?  The leader kicks someone out (if nobody drops voluntarily) and calls a re-vote?

It's gonna happen , so they must have SOME mechanism for handling it!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2292 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:23 AM

About that voting thing, what happens when the vote is a tie?  Everyone just goes home and nothing happens at all?  The leader kicks someone out (if nobody drops voluntarily) and calls a re-vote?

Teams can only be made from an odd number of players.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2293 on: September 14, 2009, 10:01:01 AM

Seems like the easiest way to handle it would be to go with whatever the group leader voted for.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2294 on: September 14, 2009, 10:56:04 AM

Trooper gameplay footage from PAX (starts at 0:15 or so)

That looks like SHIT. Not even getting into the whole mob warping, crappy, stiff animations. What makes it look like shit is that it appears to play exactly like every other MMO ever. Hit hotkeys, global cooldowns, stand in the MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING OPEN while guys with guns shoot at you. The world does not need another company dropping $100 million on another shitty MMOG clone, only with STARWARZ and OMGZORSVOICEOVERS!

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2295 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10:46 AM

No seriously your mad at this and aion gets a pass? seriously?
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #2296 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:59 AM

From a technical standpoint Aion is a beautiful game that runs smoothly, it just has crap mechanics.  The animations for TOR look wretched and since we know nothing at all about gameplay I would say the criticism of TOR is about right. 

And that is not factoring in a lot of residual anger folks here have toward SWG...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2297 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:51 PM

I think some of us are factoring that in. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2298 on: September 14, 2009, 12:18:14 PM

Normally I wouldn't respond to an idiot, but I'm in a giving mood.

I expect nothing whatsoever out of Aion. In fact, I am so incredibly uninterested in Aion that I could give two rat fuck's if it comes out and takes over the fucking world. It just doesn't interest me one bit. It's a pretty Korean grind version of WAR and DAOC with winged characters. That's as much enthusiasm as I can make out of the game.

SWTOR, OTOH and YMMV, is pouring a metric fuckton of money down on another Star Wars MMOG which looks for all intents and purposes to take the worst parts of MMOG content, over-emphasis on questing, and overuse of instancing and turning it into a mediocre snoozefest. The fact that it's using what should be THE best setting of any Star Wars setting (Old Republic) in terms of MMOG licensing to do this, and repeating the mistakes of EQ2's voiceover idiocy while touting the voiceovers as ZOMGNEXTBIGTHING means it gets my goat. It's a huge waste of money, especially when watching what I've seen makes me think of such amazing games as Anarchy Online.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2299 on: September 14, 2009, 12:24:14 PM

Games like SWTOR are only a symptom of what consumers have told mmo devs for the past 10 years. Really with a game like Aion reinforcing the message, potentially steaming piles like SWTOR are to be expected. Simple as that.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2300 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:45 PM

I'm honestly not sure why the animations are creating so much RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2301 on: September 14, 2009, 12:36:59 PM

I'm honestly not sure why the animations are creating so much RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE.

cause they suck?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2302 on: September 14, 2009, 12:38:41 PM

Gosh, everything is clear to me now.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #2303 on: September 14, 2009, 12:41:15 PM

Yeah, I found this weird as well.  There is plenty to be annoyed about, but the animations seem to vex folks the most.  To be quite honest I didn't think they were that bad for an alpha build.  But I have low expectations.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2304 on: September 14, 2009, 12:46:04 PM

While we're at it, I've never really gotten the hate on instancing and quests. People really want to go back to the days of AE farming a single camp over and over to level? Or spawn camping a mob for 3 days EQ-style?

How do you do a story-based MMO *without* heavy reliance on instancing and quests, without make it it totally immersion breaking as people line up to kill Joe Plot NPC #3 over and over?

Is this just I HATE EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T A LORD OF THE FLIES SANDBOX? I haven't been here long enough to sort out where everyone falls on the NGE Sucks/Trammel Sucks/DIKU YAY Venn diagram.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2305 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:06 PM

UO was garbage, sandbox pvp is the special olympics of gaming, and grinding by any other name(skill based system, player created items, quest chains that just happen to boil down to kill 10 rats and go find the someones lost cat) is grinding. I also hate long travel times, downtime, money sinks, time sinks. Do like story telling and pvp based on competition. Do hate "world domination" as a goal for any pvp activity and "because phat loot bag" as a goal for any pvp activity. Geez and I've only scratched the surface as what I've come to hate.... Oh and the next game with community(sever, realm, faction) + pride as a gameplay feature gets an auto-ignore. Those games go to the graveyard in 1 month anyway.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2306 on: September 14, 2009, 01:02:10 PM

Is this just I HATE EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T A LORD OF THE FLIES SANDBOX? I haven't been here long enough to sort out where everyone falls on the NGE Sucks/Trammel Sucks/DIKU YAY Venn diagram.

I, for one, would like to see this sandbox.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2307 on: September 14, 2009, 01:06:31 PM

I'm not really seeing how those animations are terrible. No, it's not the most amazing thing I've ever seen, but they don't make me cringe inside the way 98% of games that have humans moving do. It's not NEARLY as unnatural as I was expecting with all the OMG SO SHITTY reaction here.

God Save the Horn Players
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2308 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:27 PM

It's a good idea to go ahead and decry the game now in public since it's pretty easy to just have a secret subscription to it later.  However, if you hump its leg now and it turns out to suck... well, there goes your f13.cred down the shitter.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2309 on: September 14, 2009, 01:27:42 PM

As if any of us actually has any cred.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: