Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071652 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1085 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:30 AM

Lack of PVP is not a huge detriment.  No one likes it anyway, they like what it could be, or else they like ganking newbs.  See: Every Game Since UO.  So it's Guild Wars meets DDO or something?  Sure, sounds like a fine idea.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1086 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:32 AM

Can we at least port JtL over, including reverse engineering?  Thanks.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:51 AM

I'd love a JTL addon, but down the road. I first want a SW game that I can care about. Been a long time since those early SWG days smiley
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: May 27, 2009, 09:29:41 AM

Yeah, it has.  Way too long.  Too bad (for me) CH won't be an option.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: May 27, 2009, 11:08:07 AM

I'd love a JTL addon, but down the road. I first want a SW game that I can care about. Been a long time since those early SWG days smiley

I dont think a game without space combat even deserves the SW name.  Theres a shit ton more space combat in star wars than light saber fighting, or motherfucking crafting.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: May 27, 2009, 11:28:29 AM

I'll play the StarWars version of GuildWars, as long as I only have to pay for the game+expansions like GuildWars.

No bloody way I am paying a sub fee for the Guild Wars experience.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:23 AM

YOu won't have to only pay a subscription.  You'll have to pay a sub and use RMT.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: May 27, 2009, 11:45:01 AM

I dont think a game without space combat even deserves the SW name.  Theres a shit ton more space combat in star wars than light saber fighting, or motherfucking crafting.

Damn now you have me curious. All six movies together: is there more space combat than lightsabers? Ep 4 and 6 for sure. Ep 1, 2, and 3 though?

I want more space combat, and in fact would rather have Freespace 3 than KOTOR 3. But I'm curious about the space/lightsaber thing anyway.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1093 on: May 27, 2009, 11:50:54 AM

There's probably more space combat overall, but how much of that space combat is being done by the 'heroes' that PC's would end up being.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:19 AM

I've seen all 6 movies, and at no time does Marilyn Monroe fight Elvis. Totall rip-off.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: May 27, 2009, 12:35:34 PM

There's probably more space combat overall, but how much of that space combat is being done by the 'heroes' that PC's would end up being.
The heroes were involved in most every space combat scene I can think of.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:51 PM

Did you watch a different Star Wars?

All the space combat in Star Wars:

The stupid shit where Anakin accidentally blows up the droid ship
Obi-Wan in asteroid field with Fett
Opening sequence in Ep 3
Battle of Yavin
Millenium Falcon in the asteroid field.
Battle of Endor

There is very little star wars in Star Wars.

OTOH

Neeson vs Maul
Maul vs Neeson/Obiwan
Maul vs Neeson/Obiwan*
Lee vs Obiwan/Anakin I
Lee vs Yoda
Lee vs Obiwan/Anakin II
Yoda vs Palpatine
Obiwan vs Anakin
Obiwan vs Vader
Luke vs Vader I
Luke vs Vader II

* So awesome it counts double.

This is not counting any amount of lightsabre vs not lightsabre antics. You can't go 30 minutes in Star Wars without someone breaking out their space penis, but you barely get one space battle per film.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:03:31 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1097 on: May 27, 2009, 03:11:40 PM

I think the Hoth fight gets to count unless we're being *really* technical. Although it gets lightsabered too.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: May 27, 2009, 03:14:00 PM

What I'm saying, is how many times is there a space battle, while the heros end up boarding a ship or whatever to fight it out, compared to how many times the heroes are the ones doing the flying etc.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1099 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:01 PM

I think people might really just be waxing nostalgic about their experiences playing Tie Fighter!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: May 27, 2009, 03:36:55 PM

But TIE Fighter was fuckin' awesome!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1101 on: May 27, 2009, 04:08:09 PM

I think people might really just be waxing nostalgic about their experiences playing Tie Fighter!

Yes. That entire series and Freespace 2. Someone's gotta make a game like that again. I can't believe there's no market for it. Or maybe that market's only on console and called shit like "Hawx". God I can't believe a guy who may a career on trying to be really right sold out like that. Eh.

Anyhoo, eldaec's post is exactly my point. I appreciate that some of the space battles were awesome, but they do not put the "Star" nor "Wars" in Star Wars, because there simply weren't as many of them as there were mono a mono sword fighting. And his list gives more credit than I would. The only space battles I consider actual space battles are:

Yavin
Endor
Naboo (didn't care about it, but it qualifies)
Coruscant (rescue of Palpatine)

Obi-wan vs Fett was more a chase/evasion than a "battle", since Obi-wan wasn't equipped to fight back. Hoth was on Hoth, and after that the Falcon was just playing cat-and-mouse while running. Then look at the long history of SW games after the X-wing/Tie-fighter/XvT series and Rogue Squadron. Then add the source material for this game. At least SWG had the good grace to plan JTL from day one, but even then I consider ourselves lucky.

So no, I don't think space battles are required for a game called Star Wars. I just want them personally  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:58 PM

Obi-wan vs Fett was more a chase/evasion than a "battle", since Obi-wan wasn't equipped to fight back. Hoth was on Hoth, and after that the Falcon was just playing cat-and-mouse while running. Then look at the long history of SW games after the X-wing/Tie-fighter/XvT series and Rogue Squadron. Then add the source material for this game. At least SWG had the good grace to plan JTL from day one, but even then I consider ourselves lucky.
If you're going to be that picky about it, then a lot of the saber battles were, too.  Like, Obi-wan versus Vader.  Possibly one of the most important as far as getting Luke to take this seriously, but it's not like the fight itself (or many in the original trilogy) were all that epic.

Nitpicking cuts both ways. tongue

When you say Star Wars, people think of both.  It doesn't actually matter what the movies contained so much as what people think of when you say those two words.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1103 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44:16 PM

Yes. That entire series and Freespace 2. Someone's gotta make a game like that again. I can't believe there's no market for it. Or maybe that market's only on console and called shit like "Hawx". God I can't believe a guy who may a career on trying to be really right sold out like that. Eh.

Called Ace Combat, actually. There's a few clones that I might be able to remember, but they're all native to the ps2. Probably something to do with most pc gamers interested in jet fighter games thinking that they all gotta be simulators, and crying that the game is a dumbed down piece of shit when they can't use their ridiculously complex controls.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1104 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:21 AM

Episodes 1-3 aren't technically Star Wars. In my book. Which is all that counts. I'm going the Modern Angel route on this one. It's fact.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1105 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:22 AM

If you're going to be that picky about it, then a lot of the saber battles were, too.  Like, Obi-wan versus Vader.  Possibly one of the most important as far as getting Luke to take this seriously, but it's not like the fight itself (or many in the original trilogy) were all that epic.

Nitpicking cuts both ways. tongue

Well, now I'm gonna argue that a sec smiley  In the mid/late 70s, that fight was epic. And Obi-wan didn't set out to lose that fight. He just realized during it that he couldn't win, so made the best of it by ascending to a level where he could still guide Luke after a fashion. As an aside, my favorite light saber moment was right after Darth Maul killed Qui-gon when Obi-wan went all crazy on him. Man what a waste of a great bad guy.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1106 on: May 28, 2009, 07:10:31 AM

The original Obi-wan versus Vader fight was never particularly compelling from a swordsmanship or action point-of-view.  I suspect it had more to do with the novelty of those crazy laser swords and the fact that Vader scared the bejesus out of most of us at the time.

Qui-Gon/Obi versus Maul was definitely the best of them, with the last part being particularly awesome.  I actually manage to block out how crappy that entire movie is just because of that scene.  I consider it a great tragedy that they killed off Maul.

It almost doesn't count, but you left Obi-Wan versus Grievous off your list.  That was a missed opportunity (not yours, theirs), IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: May 28, 2009, 07:44:50 AM

That fight scene was definitely the best part of that movie but you could tell that Ray Park was slowing down for Liam. Plus, I always thought that Liam should have had a bastard sword sized light saber. Would have fit him better.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:22 AM

Yeah, while he did slow down a bit for Liam, I thought it made sense for the story.  He was just toying with them, after all, and was never really in danger.  Until he made Obi-Wan fucking snap, and then it was game on, motherfucker.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: May 28, 2009, 08:48:14 AM

Well, now I'm gonna argue that a sec smiley  In the mid/late 70s, that fight was epic.
And the space combat wasn't? huh

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: May 28, 2009, 10:03:50 AM

Well, now I'm gonna argue that a sec smiley  In the mid/late 70s, that fight was epic.

The farther you get into the expanded universe, the less space combat becomes a big draw.  Mostly because you can't have novels of nothing but space combat.  Even the Rogue Squadron book series had the pilots become hotshot commandos as well as pilots.

And if it invovles Jedi, it's mostly "PEW PEW!  LAZER SWORDZ!  FORCE EYEBROWS GO!"

Plus, no Star Wars game beats JEDI POWER BATTLES for Playstation. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:05:46 AM by AutomaticZen »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:19 AM

I'm not kidding when I say that's my favourite Star Wars game.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: May 28, 2009, 01:22:21 PM

Yeah, while he did slow down a bit for Liam, I thought it made sense for the story.  He was just toying with them, after all, and was never really in danger.  Until he made Obi-Wan fucking snap, and then it was game on, motherfucker.

The greatest tragedy in Star Wars is that Maul vs Neeson/MacGregor is intercut with the 3 worst sequences in the entire canon.

I personally take the view that Obiwan is not reacting to Darth Maul, or to the death of Qui-Gon, but to a tremor in the force revealing to him just how many megawatts of suck he is sharing his screen time with.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2009, 03:41:36 PM

Never played it, but are you sure? Jedi Knight series in PC is pretty much my favorite.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: May 28, 2009, 04:03:06 PM

Never played it, but are you sure? Jedi Knight series in PC is pretty much my favorite.

Find it.  Hunt it down.  It's like getting kicked in the nuts by everyone you know and love.  That game is so goddamn hard because it has platforming segments that have no reason to be in a Star Wars game, and require you jumping at just the right moment.  Death sends you back to failureville all over again.

From IGN's Review:

The next element of the game that's absolutely crucial to success is jumping. More often than not, its hard to judge how far you need to leap. That happens sometimes in games, and if the game rewards you for learning the skills to play it and enables you to judge, through experience, the length of the jumps, it's forgivable. But with Jedi Power Battles, the collision detection is so bad that sometimes it appears that you have landed on solid ground, but in reality you haven't. You-sa gonna die lotsa. Throughout the 10 levels, there are numerous areas to jump to and from, and the control, and collision detection is consistently poor, and practically forces death upon you. On top of that, every single time you die all the enemies in the level return. That means you have to chop you way through them all over again just to get the same point where you died just to lose yet another life due to the horrid controls.

Oddly enough, I still love it.  It's great with a friend and a couple of drinks.  You can split the time between enjoying it, and laughing about how bad it is.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:09 PM

That was the first line of my list of space battles ([Battle of] Yavin [IV]) smiley

It almost doesn't count, but you left Obi-Wan versus Grievous off your list.  That was a missed opportunity (not yours, theirs), IMO.
That's a good point actually. I enjoyed at least parts of that fight. Not as much as Ep 1, but the beginning part at least was fun.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2009, 05:54:10 PM

I personally take the view that Obiwan is not reacting to Darth Maul, or to the death of Qui-Gon, but to a tremor in the force revealing to him just how many megawatts of suck he is sharing his screen time with.

That had me rolling. Well played.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1117 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:18 PM

Find it.  Hunt it down.  It's like getting kicked in the nuts by everyone you know and love.  That game is so goddamn hard because it has platforming segments that have no reason to be in a Star Wars game, and require you jumping at just the right moment.  Death sends you back to failureville all over again.

You got to be a bit of a masochist to like JPB. It's such a frustrating game you will never break the disk. You'll go straight to punching your tv. It's only redeeming quality is the multiplayer, which can actually be kinda fun because it's jedi versus pewpew and stuff. And Plo Koon rocks. And when you die, which will happen, a lot, you don't have to start over.

Those IGN guys are noobs. They didn't talk that much (or at all) about the bits where you had to fall down off platforms on to little ledges that you can't see so that you can collect all the sekrit items in the game =). Or make complete blind leaps of faith, which is what most of the game feels like. Or making a huge jump and being shot at in mid-air from enemies off screen. Or being in 2 player mode and having your friend respawn nowhere near you because you're on a secret platform and the game camera fixes the situation by jumping to the middle where both of you can't be seen. Or the fact that the final fight against Darth Maul is impossible because he attacks around 8 times a second and has infinite block (which is probably what it would've really been like fighting Maul  awesome, for real).

I would sell my spleen for Jedi Power Battles II.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1118 on: May 29, 2009, 07:02:03 AM

You people are sick.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: May 29, 2009, 08:19:57 AM

The first time I played Ninja Gaiden I thought it was a breeze.

In all seriousness, the lightsaber action in JPB is probably the best arcadey lightsaber action there is out of any star wars game.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: