Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2072680 times)
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #1050 on: May 14, 2009, 03:24:35 PM

Do you know what "nemesis" means?

It's what comes after 'Laser Squad'

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1051 on: May 15, 2009, 06:45:10 AM

It means your an orrible cunt.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1052 on: May 15, 2009, 07:25:52 AM

Right. Now fetch me a cuppa tea, Errol.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:36 PM

So much star wars geekery, I thought the original was an amusing space opera but it seems to have almost become a religion for many. Anyway, this was a rumor (via FoH) about the gameplay that sounds extremely believable on a lot of levels.

http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6975&highlight=kotor+mmo

Below Im posting an inside view of The Old Republic based on an inside source. And no I didnt have to dumpster dive this time to get this info rofl.

Oh and before the flame wars begin, lets not forget I was dead on correct when I said Bioware was making a Star Wars theme MMO. And this was despite Bioware and LA both stating for a fact that this would not be a star wars MMO.

This is going to be long and so I'll do my best to organize what I know as best I can.

Many MMO's start out as an idea. Developers formulate a basic concept and then workshop ideas. A basic blueprint is written up and a budget is estimated. Then work begins. At this point some of the larger MMO dev houses present their blueprint to a marketing team. The team will do research to determine what kind f projected revenue they can expect and if the game will reach an intended target. Ideas are given back to the development team who may or may not revise their blueprint.

I describe this as whats normally done within a development of an MMO. I mention this because TOR didnt start in this traditional sense.

TOR was born from a business model. This business model was handed over to developers who were then asked to design a game around it. What was this business model you ask, it was a book.

This book was written by Lucas Arts and inspired by KOTOR and its success. I dont know the origins of when and why it was done but this book is the framework for TOR.

The game has been designed to play like a virtual book. Each chapter will have alternate endings based on which dialog you chose in the quests. The goal is to make the game replayable and new each time you start over.

Each chapter has roughly the same content as a KOTOR game. And there are several chapters so the game does have a ton of content.

The game is heavily instanced. If you have ever played Lord of the Rings Online, its similiar to the beginning quest sequence and some of the books. You will literally watch a story unfold in front of you in your own little world. There are several cinematic scenes in the game.

Its definitely NOT open. There are no giant worlds you can freely explore. Its sort of like Guild Wars or a variation of Age of Conan. No player cities and no housing.

There is no space content so if your hoping for a JTL in TOR you better look elsewhere. There is a few quests involving boarding a ship but you arent going to fly around in an X-Wing doing missions.

The story evolves. Think Books in Lord of the Rings. They plan on adding new chapters to the story. Here is the catch, you will likely have to pay for each new chapter. Its not really an expansion, so its more like buying some additional quests.

There are classes in the game but not in the traditional MMO sense. There isnt a tank class or a healing class really. Each class can dps and has some healing abilities.

Each class will start on its own planet and will have a unique series of quests to start the game. Once you leave the planet, the quests will be mostly the same as other classes but the dialog is unique to each class. Of course there are different possibilities based on the dialog you choose. Also cinematic sequences will be different depending on class.

You can solo through the entire game. Not to say there arent group quests, there are but you can skip them.

If you dont like questing, this game isnt for you. There really is no other means to play the game.

There is no non-combat class.

There is a limit to the number of companions you can have. And in a group you cant have two of the same companions out at the same time. Also you can only have one companion out at a time.

Crafting is very basic. You craft your own lightsaber. There is no weapons crafting or armor crafting of any kind. There are some quests that require you to do some basic crafting like fixing a shield generator or fixing a droid. There are some modifications you can add to your gear. But you arent going to make your own gear.

There is currency and you can buy consumables like health pots. There will be a standard auction house.

Its definitely a PvE focused game. PvP will be limited to duels at this point. There are no raids, at least not in the traditional sense where 25 people go into a dungeon like in wow.

combat is classic rpg with a toolbar and specials with cooldowns.

Bioware wont support addons and apparently it will be considered an exploit to use one. No idea why.

The game currently is in full alpha test mode.

To summarize the game, its not really an MMO in the traditional sense. Some people are going to be upset by the design. Others like KOTOR fans will absolutely love this game. Oh and there will definitely be RMT plus a subscription fee.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: May 26, 2009, 06:13:33 PM

Heavily instanced?  No PvP except duels?  Wow, that would fucking suck.  I find the latter a bit hard to believe though.  You'd think they'd throw PvPers a bone with a contested planet or two. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1055 on: May 26, 2009, 06:16:11 PM

Why?

What do they gain from adding pvp to a game like that?  Nothing but whines about class imbalance and whines about PVP being "tacked on" - because it is.  NOTHING.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: May 26, 2009, 06:18:57 PM

Its just amusing that in a game revolving around Jedi and Sith, they can't actually fight each other.  What bullshit.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: May 26, 2009, 06:20:38 PM

Sounds dreadfully like Hellgate: London, but with the caveat that it's from some unverified lolsource.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1058 on: May 26, 2009, 06:28:08 PM

That post fits with the comments that BioWare was making KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 with SWOR.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:44 PM

Still sounds like a fun game.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:47 PM

Why?

What do they gain from adding pvp to a game like that?  Nothing but whines about class imbalance and whines about PVP being "tacked on" - because it is.  NOTHING.

Subs? are people really interested in games with not even wow style pvp anymore?

I am the .00000001428%
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: May 26, 2009, 07:03:07 PM

Still sounds like a fun game.

Maybe. But if the write up is true, or even close, Bioware would be smart to ditch the MMOG aspect altogether and focus on a kind of multiplayer Mass Effect instead. (Which just might be what they're aiming for)
Unless they have some whizbang way to make a single player experience integrate with MMO style gaming. Which is possible... but I wouldn't hold my breath that they can pull it off in any kind of satisfying way.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1062 on: May 26, 2009, 08:50:08 PM

Why?

Subs? are people really interested in games with not even wow style pvp anymore?

Yes.  Simple question, easy answer.   The hard answer is what percentage of people demand it vs those who don't care one way or another and will pvp if it's available but won't kick-up a stink if it's not.   Add them to the guys who won't pvp, ever, even in WoW.  I know there's a number of those out there, too.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:51 PM

Why?

Geez of all the problems i foresee this game having i don't think bioware turning up its nose to persistent butt fucking is a bad idea... yes its a shame this game is looking a lot like hellgate london and less like guild wars.... i guess its much to late to retrofit there game for even a bloody arena at this stage, no point in going down that road when your clearly pushing it to make a semi enjoyable pve experience.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1064 on: May 26, 2009, 10:10:57 PM

Geez of all the problems i foresee this game having i don't think bioware turning up its nose to persistent butt fucking is a bad idea... yes its a shame this game is looking a lot like hellgate london and less like guild wars.... i guess its much to late to retrofit there game for even a bloody arena at this stage, no point in going down that road when your clearly pushing it to make a semi enjoyable pve experience.

That's one hell of a run on sentence. Frothing over vague rumors about a game in alpha, and claiming it too late to make changes?  swamp poop
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: May 26, 2009, 10:16:54 PM

Well you can make serious changes in alpha, but as far as balance is concerned, your going to have a hell of a time making a balance pvp (still strictly talking about an arena) when it didn't even make the alpha priority list.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:10 PM

So when you said:

i guess its much to late to retrofit there game for even a bloody arena at this stage

You really did not mean its much too late?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:40 PM

So when you said:

i guess its much to late to retrofit there game for even a bloody arena at this stage

You really did not mean its much too late?

Can they add an arena during beta, end of alpha, or just before launch if they wanted to? Yes. Will they have the sense to give classes a semblance of pvp balance before they add such arena. No. So is it much too late? Yes.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:46 PM

Whats the name of that other game that added an arena after launch? And isn't "balance" an ongoing process regardless of stage of development including after post release?

Will they have the sense to give classes a semblance of pvp balance before they add such arena. No. So is it much too late? Yes.

How did come up with this conclusion?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:38 PM

WoW was 5 years ago, and if an mmo did something like that now you would have probably end up banning forum accounts by the thousands due to the flame wars. Tacking on pvp at the very end of development is a bad idea, almost as suicidal as tacking on an end game post production. Unless your idea of pvp is buttfucking on a pvp server, you are really asking for drama you really don't need or want.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #1070 on: May 26, 2009, 11:14:49 PM

PVP is usually nowhere NEAR as pleasant as buttfucking.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: May 26, 2009, 11:15:14 PM

If i wear 3d glasses will i understand your posts? What does buttfucking on a pvp server mean? Why would people be upset at receiving consensual pvp content that does not negatively impact them? This is not the very end of development. This is vague rumors on a game in Alpha. Why would you assume all the silly things you are assuming on next to 0 information? You state the most absurd things as a certainty.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1072 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:40 PM

If i wear 3d glasses will i understand your posts?

Look who's talking. I have to consume Peyote of the Philosopher to decipher half of yours.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:22 PM

Sad but true.  Heartbreak
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1074 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:50 AM

So it's a series of single player games but with group quests and /duel so they can charge a sub fee. Color me shocked.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: May 27, 2009, 04:35:41 AM

I also think another label (if the rumour is true, that is) for the game would be fitting.

Or eventually we'll be calling all Multiplayer games "MMO's"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1076 on: May 27, 2009, 04:37:13 AM

That's the general idea.   MMOs cost you money and you don't own the game to resell it later.  It solves piracy and generates more money than a SP game.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: May 27, 2009, 04:58:11 AM

If i wear 3d glasses will i understand your posts? What does buttfucking on a pvp server mean? Why would people be upset at receiving consensual pvp content that does not negatively impact them? This is not the very end of development. This is vague rumors on a game in Alpha. Why would you assume all the silly things you are assuming on next to 0 information? You state the most absurd things as a certainty.

I like i think everyone else responding to the spoiler alert, is assuming under the benefit of the doubt that it is true. Common sense tells me that hopefully bioware will message 2/3 of people concerns. Hell the fact that the spoiler info listed making your own light saber as the only craftable, is in and of it self a reason to disregard it, since it makes no sense for bioware to insist on having none jedi classes but only the lightsaber craftable.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:10 AM

Why? Lightsaber crafting is a required part of Jedi training. Other classes can just get their gear the old fashioned drop/purchase method. There's otherwise no business reason to put crafting in SWTOR. That audience is even smaller than the folks who will be turned away by the lack of PvP.

Having said that, I imagine they'll add PvP down the road. As Triforcer said, Sith vs Jedi really doesn't make sense without it. It'll be an unbalanced trainwreck when it first gets patched in, but I would bet large that it'll go in. As will space flight eventually.

Both of these only happen if the game is hugely successful though, since they're considerable expenses. It remains to be seen if the LoTRO tutorial stretched out over 200+ hours of gameplay will work as a business. But then, we don't really know yet if this will be the usual $15/mo either.

That's the general idea.   MMOs cost you money and you don't own the game to resell it later.  It solves piracy and generates more money than a SP game.

This.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: May 27, 2009, 05:37:37 AM

will pvp if it's available but won't kick-up a stink if it's not.

There's also the segment that approaches PVP like it was PVE. For example, I would join a PUG raid to Wintergrasp, then wipe to or clear the trash mobs (opposing side players) until we either went home or killed the raid boss in the back room.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2009, 06:47:16 AM

This game does sound like a really stretched out version of KotOR with some multiplayer aspects tacked on, which could be fun but I don't I'd really want to pay $15 a month for. This is especially true if I have to pay for each chapter on top of the subscription fee and it really just is a SP game with chat. Of course who knows, maybe there's some more tempting features in there somewhere and I'll end up giving it a go and getting hooked.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: May 27, 2009, 07:59:29 AM

I think the monthly fee is really just a guesstimate at this point. I could see them going up-front purchase and then bi-annual purchased content packs. If I recall, that was the rate Guild Wars was supposed to be at.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:44 AM

Why? Lightsaber crafting is a required part of Jedi training.

I read an EU source where the Jedi get their lightsabers from the lazer sword fairy, and it's G-17a canon, so it must be true! It might have been in a deleted scene from the Holiday Special, I think.

Yipeee!

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:40 AM

will pvp if it's available but won't kick-up a stink if it's not.

There's also the segment that approaches PVP like it was PVE.

For example, full-loot upon death.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:35 AM

Wasn't that big long thing already posted once in this thread?  Either way, Its pretty much what I expect this game to be, and also why I'm not particularly interested in it at all.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: