Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2072423 times)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: April 29, 2009, 05:30:19 AM

There are no straight elves in fiction. Why do you think elves always a dieing race and their women ALWAYS fall in love with a human male? Its because elf males are too busy making hot gay sex to one another. And yes hobbits are just as gay, well except Sam but he had me worried....

Oh you can so argue the Jedi are gay. I mean honestly having sex with women seems to drastically increase your chances of joining the darkside, but hanging around a sweaty dude all day doesn't? Fuck I rather be sith.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:35:01 AM by DLRiley »
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:27 AM

You're terrible
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:31 AM

There are no straight elves in fiction. Why do you think elves always a dieing race and their women ALWAYS fall in love with a human male? Its because elf males are too busy making hot gay sex to one another. And yes hobbits are just as gay, well except Sam but he had me worried....

Oh you can so argue the Jedi are gay. I mean honestly having sex with women seems to drastically increase your chances of joining the darkside, but hanging around a sweaty dude all day doesn't? Fuck I rather be sith.

Did this post actually happen?  Or is it like that time when I was skiing while I was high and wasn't sure if I was actually skiing?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: April 29, 2009, 06:56:34 AM

I'm pretty sure he's trying to be funny.  It was semi-chuckle worthy.

Now we just need someone to come in here and say 'i know rite' in agreement.  Such a horrible movie...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #809 on: April 29, 2009, 07:17:29 AM

I think f13 should just host the SWTOR forums, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

And look at all the members we got from the NGE thread. Speaking of members....
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:54 AM

Penny Arcade'd.

And thats without talking about the Tom Bombadil, naked dancing hobbits scene from the Fellowship book. 
I'll admit that I sometimes miss the hidden meanings in popular literature, but I'm fairly sure that never happened.

There was that scene at Crickhollow where all the hobbits take a bath. It features one of Tolkien's lamer attempts at poetry.

Sing hey! For the bath at close of day
That washes the weary mud away!
A loon is he that will not sing:
O! Water Hot is a noble thing!

O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain,
And the brook that leaps from hill to plain;
But better than rain or rippling streams
Is Water Hot that smokes and steams.

O! Water cold we may pour at need
Down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
But better is Beer, if drink we lack,
And Water Hot poured down the back.

O! Water is fair that leaps on high
In a fountain white beneath the sky;
But never did fountain sound so sweet
As splashing Hot Water with my feet!

I remember making stinkeye at the book the first time I read that.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:38 AM

I usually skipped over all the hobbit/dwarf/elf singing, but even so...

bah, skip it. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:48 AM

There are no straight elves in fiction. Why do you think elves always a dieing race and their women ALWAYS fall in love with a human male? Its because elf males are too busy making hot gay sex to one another.
Sadly, D&D's Book of Erotic Fantasy agrees with him. (Not that it's exactly THE source on fantasy sexuality.) Don't ask how I know that.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:03 AM

This story has polluted all the MMOG sites out there.  It's completely retarded and a waste of time.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #814 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:21 AM

The Tom Bombadil scene being referenced is right after he rescues them from the barrow-wights, talks about Frodo et. al. running around naked and free on the grass etc.

Tolkien came from the English academic scene in the first part of the 20th century, if you don't think homosexuality was a big part of that culture, think again. Closeted, sure, and I'm not saying JRR himself was involved but he almost certainly would have been aware of it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #815 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:46 AM

This story has polluted all the MMOG sites out there.  It's completely retarded and a waste of time.

This. A thousand times this.

And people wonder why I quit writing about games.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: April 29, 2009, 11:20:08 AM

Oh I remember that bath scene. It happens right after Tom Bombadil says "Let's get you out of those wet clothes!"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #817 on: April 29, 2009, 11:34:31 AM

Eh, not really worse than the coverage that they kept giving to Thompson and Boll.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:49 AM

Oh I remember that bath scene. It happens right after Tom Bombadil says "Let's get you out of those wet clothes!"

A caring god-like father figure might rather innocently suggest the same thing.  To automatically assume that it leads to hotgayhobbitorgy means that you are actively trying to interpret it that way.  That doesn't mean that it isn't true or is even wrong if it was, but I don't think it logically fits the context of the story in any way.  Some times, people are just telling stories.  MOST of the time, I'd wager.

schild
Administrator

Reply #819 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:04 AM

This story has polluted all the MMOG sites out there.  It's completely retarded and a waste of time.

Eh, not really worse than the coverage that they kept giving to Thompson and Boll.
It's completely different. Thompson and Boll were filler. They think this is actual news.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: April 29, 2009, 12:07:05 PM

It is a topic that matters to enough people to generate a good amount of discussion, how is it not news?

schild
Administrator

Reply #821 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:17 PM

It is a topic that matters to enough people to generate a good amount of discussion, how is it not news?

Discussion doesn't "make something news."

Edit: Clarity.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #822 on: April 29, 2009, 12:27:39 PM

A caring god-like father figure might rather innocently suggest the same thing.  To automatically assume that it leads to hotgayhobbitorgy means that you are actively trying to interpret it that way.  That doesn't mean that it isn't true or is even wrong if it was, but I don't think it logically fits the context of the story in any way.  Some times, people are just telling stories.  MOST of the time, I'd wager.

Hey, hey Cyrrex?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: April 29, 2009, 12:50:36 PM

Well, OK, but if we apply that standard to 'gaming news' in general we'd quickly be left with nothing but a list of product announcements and release dates. Woo.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #824 on: April 29, 2009, 01:03:12 PM

That'd be kinda nice.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #825 on: April 29, 2009, 01:06:44 PM

Well, OK, but if we apply that standard to 'gaming news' in general we'd quickly be left with nothing but a list of product announcements and release dates. Woo.
A boy can dream.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #826 on: April 29, 2009, 07:20:57 PM

I'll take it as news because someone in an official capacity really should have thought things out before typing "There's no such things as gays". CMs are meant to have some kind of idea about communicating to the player base in such a way that it doesn't piss them off.

There are also plenty of LGBT gamers out there who don't like being told their sexuality doesn't exist, even in a game world.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: April 29, 2009, 07:23:30 PM

I'll take it as news because someone in an official capacity really should have thought things out before typing "There's no such things as gays". CMs are meant to have some kind of idea about communicating to the player base in such a way that it doesn't piss them off.

There are also plenty of LGBT gamers out there who don't like being told their sexuality doesn't exist, even in a game world.

Well, technically, he said those "terms" don't exist in Star Wars.  That's not quite the same thing as saying that homosexuality itself doesn't exist in Star Wars.  Its more like saying "beer" doesn't exist in Star Wars, because even though alcoholic beverages exist they aren't called that.  I honestly think that's the way he meant it, too- it just didn't seem like he was making a grandiose, overarching political statement. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #828 on: April 29, 2009, 07:26:47 PM

I know what he meant to say, but what he said came out very open to interpretation. When dealing with sensitive topics, it is best not to make statements that are open to interpretation.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:59 PM

From what I could tell, they censored the words to keep them from being used in a deragotory fashion towards other players.  The GLBT brigade got pissed because they couldn't say 'gay' or 'lesbian', completely ignoring the fact they were censored to keep them from getting used in derogatory fashion - by extension from being derogatory towards the GLBT crowd.

Much like religion and politics, at this point, it's too sensitive a topic for general game forums.  Should have left well enough alone, left them censored, and been done with it.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #830 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:45 PM

Nope, did the right thing, uncensored when it became necessary. Should've started uncensored, imo. Just ban the fuckers that abuse it.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:09 PM

Maybe so.

Given the signal to noise ratio and the amount of actual moderation that goes on there, an 'offending' thread or post could be there for days before it gets zapped.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: April 29, 2009, 08:15:08 PM

Almost like there should be fewer forums or something?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: April 29, 2009, 08:15:37 PM

shazaaam!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:18 PM

Maybe so.

Given the signal to noise ratio and the amount of actual moderation that goes on there, an 'offending' thread or post could be there for days before it gets zapped.

Very true.  I don't think anyone moderates anything on nights and weekends.  Its almost as if Sean and Amy have no help at all.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:31 PM

Well, technically, he said those "terms" don't exist in Star Wars.  That's not quite the same thing as saying that homosexuality itself doesn't exist in Star Wars.  Its more like saying "beer" doesn't exist in Star Wars, because even though alcoholic beverages exist they aren't called that.  I honestly think that's the way he meant it, too- it just didn't seem like he was making a grandiose, overarching political statement. 
I agree.  However if a CM is unable to communicate effectively, especially on a topic which can get touchy, there are going to be major problems.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: April 30, 2009, 05:37:37 AM

Ok anyone have any news about SWTOR or are you guys going to end up putting a SWTOR thread in politics?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: April 30, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

The Internet's or Schild's definition of news? Grin

There isn't any because they're ramping up the community way too early.  Drama is the only thing this game-in-progress can offer at this point.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #838 on: April 30, 2009, 10:53:04 AM

I predict that drama will continue to be the primary draw even after release.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:31 AM

Probably.  Though at least then some of it would be about mechanics and stupid dev decision of the week rather than if humans in this galaxy should be restricted to speaking like aliens in another one.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: