Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071632 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 06:30:46 AM

Bioware saved Star Wars for me once already, so it will take a lot of disappointing news and schedule slips and feature cuts and the like to burn through their buffer of  Heart Heart Heart.

I'll help you by pointing out that this is Bioware Austin, not Bioware Proper.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 06:58:53 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 07:02:00 AM

Are those potatoes? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 07:17:41 AM

Are those potatoes? 

More like fly's, the two in the back are part of a series. Most times, eating popcorn on the side of the bug zapper, watching games...well... yeah.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:19:51 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 07:23:04 AM

I don't get it.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 07:44:56 AM

The flies are MMOs, the Bug Zapper represents the ultimate end of all MMOs.  Shadowbande and Horizons have been hovering on that brink of death for so long, they have become bitter and sarcastic residents of that purgatorial zone. 

If you're looking for funny, probably best to look elsewhere.  Funny is his acorn, but at least he's not wearing lipstick.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 08:18:46 AM

Re: two faction discussion.  I need to dust of my SW Geek badge, but aren't the Mandolorians a viable possible third faction during this point in the timeline? 

Only other comment I'll make at this point is that, despite all the early hate, this is essentially KOTORO.  It's pure money hats.  It may end up sucking, but I hope nobody here is suggesting it won't sell at least a million boxes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 08:55:37 AM

I can't believe I didn't see that they were flies.  For some bizarre reason, I thought the wings were just some sort of background.  D'oh!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:50 AM

I thought the wings were background or perhaps bubbles, and the potatoes were well-formed cartoon turds.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:09 AM

I thought the wings were background or perhaps bubbles, and the potatoes were well-formed cartoon turds.

They are turds, of a sort.

The Zapper:
The Zapper- Although not a character as much as a representation of the death of things in the game industry, in some cases the characterization includes not just games, but game companies, developers, publishers, and other concepts or things relating to the industry that all share a similar impending doom, it has made numerous appearances in many comics, with a few flies appearing as characters heading towards the zapper, indicating the something's, at least at the time of the comic being made, likely demise. Games,Companies and etc that have been represented by flies unless noted otherwise in these strips at one point or another include; Shadowbane and Horizons are constantly in the comics as either commentators or watchers of the other flies in most cases they provide the dialogue of the strips, Ghostbusters, Wet, Brutal Legend, Wish, Acclaim, Cyan Worlds, Mourning, The Phantom Gaming Console, Uru Live, Asheron's Call 2, Dragon Empires, Mythica, Ultima X: Odyssey, Imperator, Wolfpack Studios, Atari, Infinium Labs, GU Comics, EI Interactive (Although as a Lightbulb), Endsless Saga, Planetside, Auto-Assault, Seed, Gametap (As the gametap emblem), Computer Games Magazine, Massive Magazine, FASA, Ryzom, Gods & Heroes, The Nintendo Wavebird, Star Trek Online, Arden: The World Of William Shakespeare, Perpetual/P2, Netscape Browser, Stormfront Studios, Istaria, Flagship Studios, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Rubies Of Eventide, Warhammer Online.(introduced: July 1, 2004)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:08:49 AM by Mrbloodworth »

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:29 AM

Bioware saved Star Wars for me once already, so it will take a lot of disappointing news and schedule slips and feature cuts and the like to burn through their buffer of  Heart Heart Heart.

Good point! It will be the same assholes who brought us other shit-in-a-box titles like:

Star Wars Galaxies
Shadowbane
Tabula Rasa
Numerous Canceled Projects
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:30 AM

The flies are MMOs, the Bug Zapper represents the ultimate end of all MMOs.  Shadowbande and Horizons have been hovering on that brink of death for so long, they have become bitter and sarcastic residents of that purgatorial zone. 

If you're looking for funny, probably best to look elsewhere.  Funny is his acorn, but at least he's not wearing lipstick.
He used to be mildly amusing before he turned /gu from "Comics I make for my EQ guild " into "Comics I make to pay the rent"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:37 AM

He used to be mildly amusing before he turned /gu from "Comics I make for my EQ guild " into "Comics I make to pay the rent"

Don't be a hater.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:04 AM

His earlier stuff was alright, I read it regularly.  But he seems to have been struggling for a while.  It's almost like he's just going through the motions.  A large part of the break, I think, is he went from EQ comics where he had a more personal connection to the absurdity we all faced, whereas today's comics are largely a few tidbits he gleans from gaming news sites and he slaps a little something together.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 11:17:31 AM

His earlier stuff was alright, I read it regularly.  But he seems to have been struggling for a while.  It's almost like he's just going through the motions.  A large part of the break, I think, is he went from EQ comics where he had a more personal connection to the absurdity we all faced, whereas today's comics are largely a few tidbits he gleans from gaming news sites and he slaps a little something together.

Agreed. Back in the classic EQ - Planes of Power time period, Woody was really dialed in to the pulse of that game and it's community in a way that only another player could be. Obviously he stopped playing and moved on to other things that did not consume him quite as much, and the comic has become unreadable for it. (At least for me anyways.)

This is going to sound pathetic, but it kind of encapsulates the sadness you have when you realize that there will never be another one like 'your first.' (MMO that is.)
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:46 AM

Good point! It will be the same assholes who brought us other shit-in-a-box titles like:

Star Wars Galaxies
Shadowbane
Tabula Rasa
Numerous Canceled Projects

Damn that's cold.  You make it sound like a halfway house for battered mmo developers.

Oh god, someone check on McQuaid ACK!.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 12:33:21 PM

Damn that's cold.  You make it sound like a halfway house for battered mmo developers.

Don't worry. He's on the nod in a pool of his own filth at this point.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:16 PM

Don't worry. He's on the nod in a pool of his own filth at this point.

... but I'm sure they've got his resume.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 11:49:37 PM

Seriously though

I know it's off topic but is he attached or related to any know project at the moment?
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:53 AM

Back on topic sort-of.

if SWTOR is a success, it will be in spite of rather than because of the the Star Wars IP. Like someone said earlier in this thread, NGE was all Lucas' peoples doing.

Add this picture because it made me LOL -

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 24, 2008, 09:24:27 AM

Err...

EA and LucasArts: Star Wars MMO to be bigger than WoW
EA and LucasArts are aiming to take on World of Warcraft with BioWare's newly announced MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Speaking to Videogaming247, EA Games' president, Frank Gibeau, spoke of the company's ambition to use the Star Wars IP to build up a user base to overtake that of Blizzard's.

"We have very high expectations for this," Gibeau explained. "Just look at the base of Star Wars fans, plus what BioWare can do. Trust me: we want to win. EA's reputation is for wanting to win."

"This is going to be a powerful category and there's lots of ways to compete in this category. [Blizzard] created a much larger opportunity for everybody else, but that doesn't mean it's going to stay that way."

LucasArts' Tom Nichols agreed, adding: "When World of Warcraft came out, everybody thought, 'No, the market is only this big, because that's as big as EverQuest was.' Blizzard showed that it could be much larger."

"Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience. Plus, we have the benefit of this huge brand, which has done very, very well for nearly 30 years."

When asked specifically if the game would be bigger than World of Warcraft, Nichols said: "I think this game has that potential."
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 09:36:51 AM

Good old clueless suits. It doesn't matter what industry you look at, they all have 'em.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 09:41:40 AM

I'll confess. KOTORO-meter aside, I'm not really that excited about this project. If it doesn't sound too disastrous in beta I might shell out for a box a bit after launch and play the free month just to see what's up, but that's as far as my enthusiasm goes. That whole bit about the Seventh Battle of Ruusan? I had to look that up on some nerd website.

I'm a huge nerd myself, for the Star Wars movies, but I've basically avoided most of the games/books/comics/whatever. I didn't even play the original KOTOR until last year when I made that thread about it.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 10:03:05 AM

Sky high expectations married to low competence. Should be a good time.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 10:31:07 AM

Worked for Spore.   swamp poop

And Walton was the father of the Sims Online.

Yeah, we'll see.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 10:40:45 AM

Made a few corrections, in teal for great justice.

EA's reputation is for wanting (but failing) to win."

"Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience demonstrate that we don't know jack shit about the genre.

Plus, we have the benefit of this huge brand, which has done very, very well for nearly 30 years except for that minor problem with the last time someone tried an online game with it."

When asked specifically if the game would be bigger than World of Warcraft, Nichols said: "I think this game has that potential," and then burst out laughing, having failed a valiant effort to say it with a straight face.

Witty banter not included.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:07 AM

What do you guys expect them to say at this point (or any point)?

"Yeah, we don't really think our product will succeed, and we think our investors are idiots, but hey we'll take their money and go through some motions.  Oh yeah, and our employees and programmers completely lack any sort of talent, and we have a complete lack of faith in their abilities."

What do you expect a company to say about its product and about its hopes for the future?  Hmm?

EDIT:  In my opinion, if they truly believe that storytelling has the potential to attract so many players, they will have hired a lot of writers.  There are quite a few (popular, contemporary) sci-fi writers who have written Star Wars paperbacks etc., and I'd expect them to tap that talent.  If the game is to succeed or fail based on the quality of storytelling, they have to.

They should advertise the writers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:05:34 AM by ajax34i »
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #62 on: October 24, 2008, 11:16:41 AM

They ought to say nothing at this point.  Hyping your product this far in advance can only serve to create unrealistic expectations.

My post was only to poke fun at the interview or press release or whatever.  I never pay attention to these things until they're at least in beta, preferably release.  Until then, in spite of whatever information people claim to have, it's all (probably wrong) speculation.

Witty banter not included.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 11:27:32 AM

It's bullshit and it seems harmless enough and most people will ignore *now*.  But a month after launch a horde of trolls with shit-eating grins will be plastering these statements all over the forums to show why the game is an abject failure.  You'd just think that one day they'd learn.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 11:29:33 AM

I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it here for those who missed: a lot of people from "BioWare Proper" transferred to Austin to work on Old Republic. I don't know how many overall, but there were six from the writer / tech designer circles I run in. The most important was James Ohlen. He's been with the company since Shattered Steel, was the guiding hand on the Baldur's Gates, and served as head of design for many years.

The game could still be crap, but it would be BioWare crap, made by many of the same people who brought you BG, NWN, KotOR, and Jade.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 11:44:52 AM

What do you guys expect them to say at this point (or any point)?

Lucas got this one right while he was writing The Phantom Menace: "I'm not interested in breaking any records."

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 12:13:07 PM

I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it here for those who missed: a lot of people from "BioWare Proper" transferred to Austin to work on Old Republic. I don't know how many overall, but there were six from the writer / tech designer circles I run in. The most important was James Ohlen. He's been with the company since Shattered Steel, was the guiding hand on the Baldur's Gates, and served as head of design for many years.

The game could still be crap, but it would be BioWare crap, made by many of the same people who brought you BG, NWN, KotOR, and Jade.

It's like dropping your rolex into the dirtiest public toilet imaginable.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 12:26:23 PM

Just a quick note:

SWG did not fail because of the IP. It had huge numbers when it launched remember? It failed because of the execution. Honestly, if I was at Bioware Austin I'd have a board devoted to things to learn from SWG.

Don't:

Launch without vehicles or space.
Make a grind that kills.
Ignore itemization so crafters can rule the game.
Forget the content.
Use HAM or something equally retarded to force players to go see other players who are just running macros anyway.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 12:27:49 PM

This is good to know. I'll be keeping my eye out on this one with very cautious enthusiasm. I've been hurt before.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 01:03:49 PM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: