Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:27:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102062 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13860 on: November 25, 2011, 06:27:33 PM

Add Ceto, Jedi Knight on Canderous Ordo to my characters.

that first flashpoint is a bitch to solo  :/
Uh, you're not supposed to solo those...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:29:54 PM by Lantyssa »

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13861 on: November 25, 2011, 06:32:27 PM

Started right at 11am today with a Jedi Knight.  Had some clunky performance until I reduced shadows.  Was a little bored with the JK, honestly, but the combat animations were the highlight.

Then I tried out the BH and really enjoyed both the story and the class.  Hutta looks great and all the "Grr me am Sith, grr grr" was there.

After a break, I played Smuggler.  Starting planet best so far as regards to quest layout.  Class is hella fun, with me leaping behind cover to shoot some fool.  Got to lvl 8 but logged off when I could no longer loot.  Shades of WoW!

I also like the glowing beams for loot, even color coordinated.  Very nice.  Another improvement is the multiple bind points, only figured that out a while ago.  

Anyway, played all day with no crashes, just hard to find an open server.  Tomorrow I'll get into crafting I hope.  

Oh and the UI is shit, but everyone knows that already.  Great game though.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13862 on: November 25, 2011, 06:42:17 PM

Played the trooper up to 7 and was totally uninspired.  I really felt like I was dragging my way from one quest to another.  I was beginning to despair, particularly since so many of his dark/ light side choices were obvious "kick the puppy/ pat the puppy" choices and you felt like a dick or a traitor picking the dark side ones.  It felt like a real step backwards from the ME and ME2 choices that felt more like "the mission is the focus, screw your protocols."  I was beginning to despair so I quit out and decided to try a Sith.

Wow, what a difference.  Yeah the BH had the exact same gameplay but I liked the story a lot more.  Only got up to level 4 but I didn't feel as bad making the dark-side choices.  You're supposed to be a selfish Sith Empire dude. Even the light side choices presented felt more in-character with needing to get-along.  You didn't feel like you were screwing your character making either one. 

Maybe it's just my perception of things, but I just didn't find the Republic side as fulfilling.  I'm going to try some of the Jedi and Sith later and see if I run into the same problem.  It could just be the parallel story of corruption in the army that caused the Trooper story to go that route.

Had a pretty similar experience, just with different classes. Started out as an Inquisitor and had a blast, the female voice actor delivers the lines with so much snark it's awesome. Then decided to give Consular a go as it's the class I wanted to play since I first heard about the game. Talk about a let down. Managed to slog through about 6 levels before finally giving up out of sheer boredom. The quests and dialog just felt really dull compared to the Sith.

Then went back to the dark side and tried an IA  Heart Having her deliver lines like "If you don't do what I want I'm going to shoot you in the face" is a lot of fun. And she so far has shot about 3 NPC's (and made out with a Zabrak to get out of paying a debt  awesome, for real). Then decided to give Republic another go with a Trooper and it's another yawn-fest.

Gonna give Smuggler a go now and hope that I can salvage at least one Republic class (I honestly don't expect the Knight to be any better than the Consular).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13863 on: November 25, 2011, 06:54:21 PM

Leveled a counsler to 10 tonight already, enjoying it much more than I did my imperial agent.

Also every single survey I've had come up tonight I've bitched about the lack of ability to move my UI stuff around in the comments.  Mob

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13864 on: November 25, 2011, 07:05:25 PM

I think the last survey I did was nothing but about three paragraphs of bitching about the amount of low-level money sinks in the game, and why having so many of them before level 30 is probably not a fantastic idea.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13865 on: November 25, 2011, 07:08:02 PM

Kinda funny, I have not had that experience with the Empire side.  I got the distinct impression of retarded evil.  I also picked up light side points for betrayal.  The inquisitor companion was an extra kick in the nuts.  I beat his ass and he screams and complains when I show respect to my superiors.  I try and plot, he gets pissed, I try and be imperial?  He gets pissed.  This is not to suggest that writing on the Republic side is fantastic.  At least you have a reasonable idea of what you are getting.  
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13866 on: November 25, 2011, 08:30:40 PM

No lag or delays to speak of, how...  unusual.

Played Republic Trooper this time, as opposed to Sith (Consular equivalent) last time.  Uninspired questline so far to 5, but great opening movie.

Still wanted to hold down left-ctrl to loot from DCUO.   why so serious?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13867 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:38 PM

Sith are too stupid to live, too powerful to get rid of. It makes being a NON-Sith on the imperial side sort of amusing.

I heart my imperial agent  (Jassan on Canderous Ordo, he's level 13 or something now). He is the bee's knees. I feel sort of doofy meleeing though, and I'm sure it won't feel any less doofy as a smuggler. But! I have very tight pants. So there's that.

God Save the Horn Players
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #13868 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:35 PM

I was beginning to despair so I quit out and decided to try a Sith.

I think in general they failed a bit on giving every class adequate dark side / light side options.   Some of them are good for both and some are amazing for one path or another.   For me though once I found a class that had the right tone I found it much more satisfying than mass effects "You can't really be good/evil" bar.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13869 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:37 AM

Sith are too stupid to live, too powerful to get rid of. It makes being a NON-Sith on the imperial side sort of amusing.

I heart my imperial agent  (Jassan on Canderous Ordo, he's level 13 or something now). He is the bee's knees. I feel sort of doofy meleeing though, and I'm sure it won't feel any less doofy as a smuggler. But! I have very tight pants. So there's that.

I'd think smuggler would feel a bit stranger, even.

The pistol whipping and such is fine, and NutShot is just awesome, even if completely unexplained against droids. The one that makes me facepalm a bit is the smuggler backstab. My shotgun, only useable in melee range from behind! Because apparently if I shoot someone in the FACE with a shotgun, it just doesn't work right.

That said, I'm so loving the smuggler mechanics and skills. I need to force myself to try out an inquisitor/consular since I think I'd prefer healing with them. The smuggler quest line is just so out there. And you have plenty of options as a smuggler to go less than light side, since.. well.. criminal!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13870 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:20 AM

Of the classes I've played, smuggler has THE BEST HOOK EVER. I immediately stopped playing her because omg I don't want to ruuuuuuin it. So I've been doing the IA instead to see if I like the gameplay. And I heart that story too.  why so serious?

I am re-leveling a consular to 10 ( why so serious? why so serious? why so serious? ) because my consular from my first stress test was busted, and Ingmar and I kinda want to try a FLASHPOINT. Probably. I still love bouncing rocks and urns and T-whatever units off people's faces. I think there's something wrong with me.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #13871 on: November 26, 2011, 01:40:37 AM

I am re-leveling a consular to 10 ( why so serious? why so serious? why so serious? ) because my consular from my first stress test was busted, and Ingmar and I kinda want to try a FLASHPOINT. Probably. I still love bouncing rocks and urns and T-whatever units off people's faces. I think there's something wrong with me.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that too. I didn't expect Consular to feel quite as kickass as it did (although only got to level 6). But I've ended up with some kind of Tuvok character who is rational minded goody-two-shoes and that's pissing me off because I hate him. I also hate the "wow! You're more advanced in the force than I could ever dream of being" storyline.

Smuggler I think I can definitely get behind story wise but I was looking at Tanking.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13872 on: November 26, 2011, 02:16:42 AM

ok, 11.24am here across the pond, let's fire up this thing again  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes, I'm lv7 with my Trooper as well, and like I said earlier I agree regarding the fact it's quite "uninspired", so far: ok, you have dialogue choices, but the situation you are brought in and the context in general pushes you toward a plain "lawful good" character too much, IMO.

Anyways, let's see what's in store...

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13873 on: November 26, 2011, 02:25:27 AM

Well it said two people, so I figured me and fatto can take 'em. We did eventually, but lost something like an hour and a half.

ended up as level 11 yesterday. Went from I'm never getting wow with lightsabers to, well the story IS kinda fun. Also star wars. The only thing I seriously don't like so far is that there are other people in my starwars game :(

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13874 on: November 26, 2011, 02:26:54 AM

I don't think that was a flashpoint then, flashpoints are the 4 player dungeons with bosses, etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13875 on: November 26, 2011, 02:33:22 AM

it said flashpoint and it did have 3 bosses, and like I said it was pretty hard. It was when travelling from the sith fleet to the capital city you had two options - go with a transport ship (flashpoint) or go with a shuttle. Then we took over the transport ship and attacked a battlecruiser or something to get rid of some defecting general. Did it at level 10-11 with the Sith Sorc and the tank companion.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13876 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:12 AM

I absolutely love the codex, no matter how supposedly insignificant it is in the "grand scheme of things". Made for lore junkies like me  awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13877 on: November 26, 2011, 04:16:45 AM

Well it said two people, so I figured me and fatto can take 'em. We did eventually, but lost something like an hour and a half.

Two people. As in two players and their companions, which makes a group of four.

Though it sounds like you were an Inquisitor - Sorcerer, probably - which explains how you soloed it.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13878 on: November 26, 2011, 04:46:58 AM

Flashpoints are two players plus their companions.  A lot of the mechanics make companions not ideal, either.

Heh.  Beaten to it.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13879 on: November 26, 2011, 04:52:08 AM

Flashpoints are two players plus their companions.  A lot of the mechanics make companions not ideal, either.

Heh.  Beaten to it.

What are you talking about?

I'm on follow
I'm on follow
I'm on follow
I'm on follow
FATTO. SHUSH.  swamp poop

Also yeah, iqnusisitor-sorc. CC, heal, stuns. Although some of the group quests on the capital planet are brutal. Especially the one where you have to explode a drill.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #13880 on: November 26, 2011, 05:39:23 AM

When do you get tradeskills? Before leaving the starter planet or later on?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13881 on: November 26, 2011, 05:41:34 AM

Still page 397?  wtf guys!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13882 on: November 26, 2011, 05:55:58 AM

We need to unlock the SWTOR sub-forum, how else can I post a "what went wrong?" thread 5min after release?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13883 on: November 26, 2011, 06:04:47 AM

When do you get tradeskills? Before leaving the starter planet or later on?

You get them on the Republic/Sith fleets. You can actually go and get your set of three at any time, but you can't do anything with any of them until you get a companion on your starter world.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13884 on: November 26, 2011, 06:08:52 AM

We need to unlock the SWTOR sub-forum, how else can I post a "what went wrong?" thread 5min after release?

Lack of imagination on mechanics.

Slavish adherence to the wow model, to the point of parody. In particular, excessive pandering to raidtards.

There you go, what went wrong even before launch.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #13885 on: November 26, 2011, 06:10:39 AM

I leveled up an Hawke Imperial Agent up to 11 just to briefly familiarize myself with the basic stuff, I really liked what they've done- my only concern is in how well they manage to craft their end-game treadmill. On the other hand, I think going through every class' story will take up a long time by itself and I'm definitely planning on doing that.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13886 on: November 26, 2011, 06:12:00 AM

Question for beta people:

It is now 7 years since sidekicking should have become a standard mmog feature, does this have anything in that vein?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13887 on: November 26, 2011, 06:31:17 AM

It is now 7 years since sidekicking should have become a standard mmog feature, does this have anything in that vein?

Nope. In fact, if you run a character of your own through your starter planet 1-10, and then take it to the other planet to help a friend, you will end up overleveled while they'll be underleveled, thanks to you killing their XP.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13888 on: November 26, 2011, 06:34:10 AM

In pvp zones everyone is auto level scaled to 50.  I don't know if there is something similar for grouping.

I'm kind of taking this beta off, Skyrim is fulfilling my gaming needs and I already know I will enjoy SWTOR so I don't want to wear myself out on the newbie zones.

On the story line stuff what people have to realize is that each story line is very different in tone and style and as such appeals to different people.  I love the Consular story and loathed the Bounty Hunter start as over-the-top obvious puppy petting/kicking.  A couple of posts here have panned the Trooper start but on the SA forums Trooper is generally considered the best story line over all (followed closely by IA).  What I am saying is, to each his own, and you should try more than one before making a final decision.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13889 on: November 26, 2011, 06:52:33 AM

I love my imperial agent dude so hard. I'm also incapable of playing a male character and not making out with anyone who will let me. What is wrong with meeeeeeee?

My ladies are WAY pickier.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13890 on: November 26, 2011, 07:02:03 AM

Yeah, having tried a few more now, I'd agree that the story lines are all about the player not the side.  The JK and Smuggler have me interested in trying them out.  It's only the Paladin-trooper that I felt was kind of weak on the dark side stuff, imo.  I'm going to try a few more classes to see how they feel.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13891 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:48 AM

Nope. In fact, if you run a character of your own through your starter planet 1-10, and then take it to the other planet to help a friend, you will end up overleveled while they'll be underleveled, thanks to you killing their XP.

/seethe

I don't even understand how a design guy can actively consider this (they must have considered it in order to put it in pvp) and somehow conclude it is not necessary.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13892 on: November 26, 2011, 07:30:14 AM

You get them on the Republic/Sith fleets. You can actually go and get your set of three at any time, but you can't do anything with any of them until you get a companion on your starter world.
You can gather materials yourself prior to getting a companion.  That way you have a small stash when you do get a companion.  You can take multiple gathering or missions skills, just only one crafting skill.

Plus you can get a level or two out of the quests on the space station.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13893 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:28 AM

I love my imperial agent dude so hard. I'm also incapable of playing a male character and not making out with anyone who will let me. What is wrong with meeeeeeee?

My ladies are WAY pickier.

Manwhore.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13894 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:45 AM

You can gather materials yourself prior to getting a companion.  That way you have a small stash when you do get a companion.  You can take multiple gathering or missions skills, just only one crafting skill.

Plus you can get a level or two out of the quests on the space station.

Yeah, you can get some crafting stuff, but you can really only get them if you go Scavenging or Bioanalysis and loot Strong droids and beasties, as there are no resource nodes on the starter worlds.

Biochem/Bioanalysis as an Empire character is hilarious, since you can just run the path from the spaceport to Kaas City on Dromund Kaas and get samples from the hordes of dead mobs people kill, since nobody goes Biochem. Twenty minutes of back-and-forth got a level 10 Sith Warrior I had to enough Biochem to make medpacs that would last me til my mid-20s.
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: