Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102202 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13125 on: November 18, 2011, 03:07:51 PM

Yeeeahhhh, but so did everyone else who ever did this stupid idea. AoC and EQ2 both buckled. It might take some time, but SWTOR will, too.

So I guess WoW should make it so you can switch classes too then.

Yes, let's have this argument again.  awesome, for real

Hey, we have 25 more pages to go!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13126 on: November 18, 2011, 03:11:01 PM

I love the Rift Souls system cause I only need 4 accounts awesome, for real but I understand why other games don't do it that way.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13127 on: November 18, 2011, 03:11:30 PM

You probably don't even need two accounts for this game Trippy!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13128 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:10 PM

I have 2 copies pre-ordered so I'll start with those and if I like it I'll get more accounts.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13129 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:43 PM

It sounds like I'd enjoy the Empire side a lot more than Republic, but stupid Slap always has to pick the goody two-shoes side.  Shaking fist cry

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13130 on: November 18, 2011, 03:14:07 PM

I have 2 copies pre-ordered so I'll start with those and if I like it I'll get more accounts.

I think you just like to play with yourself.   awesome, for real
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13131 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:14 PM

Umm if I play a Mage to level 20 and decide I hate it in WoW, I still have to run through the same garbage on another character.
No you don't. Just travel to another races starting area and do quests in it instead. Alternately, you can just fish your way to level 20. Now after 20 it becomes more of the same areas but so many quests still exist you can pick the good quests or the ones you have not done.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13132 on: November 18, 2011, 03:17:34 PM

Umm if I play a Mage to level 20 and decide I hate it in WoW, I still have to run through the same garbage on another character.
No you don't. Just travel to another races starting area and do quests in it instead. Alternately, you can just fish your way to level 20. Now after 20 it becomes more of the same areas but so many quests still exist you can pick the good quests or the ones you have not done.

All the questing in WoW is garbage.  Also, I'd rather repeatedly pound my penis with a hammer than do fishing in WoW. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13133 on: November 18, 2011, 03:18:25 PM

I think you just like to play with yourself.   awesome, for real
Indeed why so serious? Grouping with random Internet people is swamp poop

Actually I started doing it originally cause LFG for EQ was so fucking painful that I got enough accounts and computers so I could quad box and never need to look for a group. With 4 I could crawl through any of the non-raid content in any of the dungeons by myself.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13134 on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:13 PM

Because killing X number of boars in zone A vs killing Y number of spiders in zone B amounts to a huge difference!

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13135 on: November 18, 2011, 03:21:03 PM

Actually I started doing it originally cause LFG for EQ was so fucking painful that I got enough accounts and computers so I could quad box and never need to look for a group. With 4 I could crawl through any of the non-raid content in any of the dungeons by myself.

I haven't dual boxed since SWG, but I think that's mainly because of the one character per server junk they had.  Luckily I managed to meet some people back then that I've been MMO hopping with for years.  But yeah, I also hate pugs with a passion!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #13136 on: November 18, 2011, 03:21:41 PM

Uh, no. Because WoW classes aren't subclasses of a "main" class.

Look, EQ2 and AoC did this *exact* same thing. Play X levels of your big meta class (MAGE THIEF WARRIOR FART) and then choose your "real" class. If you choose poorly, well... reroll and do the first X levels over with the exact, 100% same thing.

I promise you. I'll put imaginary e-money on this now: it will change. It might take a year but they'll change it.

But if you want to change from fire spec to frost spec to arcane spec you have to...?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13137 on: November 18, 2011, 03:23:40 PM

Look, EQ2 and AoC did this *exact* same thing. Play X levels of your big meta class (MAGE THIEF WARRIOR FART) and then choose your "real" class. If you choose poorly, well... reroll and do the first X levels over with the exact, 100% same thing.

I promise you. I'll put imaginary e-money on this now: it will change. It might take a year but they'll change it.

But if you want to change from fire spec to frost spec to arcane spec you have to...?

Huh?  I have no problems with dual specs/respecs within your Advanced Class.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13138 on: November 18, 2011, 03:24:39 PM

Ok, I'll bite.  Without spoiling, who has the 'dogshit' stories?

The Jedi stuff is execrable. I found Soldier really trite, but I'm currently playing that one so we'll see if it shapes up. Smuggler I didn't like, then started to like, mainly because the dialogue was pretty hilarious rather than anything to do with the story, which was fairly predictable.

On the Sith side, I played Inquisitor which I liked enough to almost switch planned class if I buy it. There's nothing special about it but you're just so hilariously over the top evil... campy, like I said. It's like a Hammer film.

Planning on playing BH at release, so I tried to avoid it, but I did it to about 20 and then stopped. I really liked the hook here.

Agent I've messed with and it seems okay. People seem to really like it, almost universally, but I haven't been impressed at level 15ish.

On this AC stuff, you're not getting the sameness aspect. You can't go to a different zone. You're using the exact same abilities until you pick your AC. The way they play isn't different enough to make them really distinct classes. As stated, they're way closer to glorified talent trees than different classes.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13139 on: November 18, 2011, 03:27:51 PM

Because killing X number of boars in zone A vs killing Y number of spiders in zone B amounts to a huge difference!
Having a human voice tell be to kill X number of slugs in zone A and X number of birds in zone B is so much better!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13140 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:37 PM

Having a human voice tell be to kill X number of slugs in zone A and X number of birds in zone B is so much better!

I can't recall a quest where I was told to go out and kill a number of mobs.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13141 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:49 PM

It sounds like I'd enjoy the Empire side a lot more than Republic, but stupid Slap always has to pick the goody two-shoes side.  Shaking fist cry

We are Republic because that's where the Trooper is, deal with it!  cool

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13142 on: November 18, 2011, 03:30:44 PM

Right, exactly. If we're going to be shitting on the Diku for killing boars, nothing's changed. You're still killing boars. It's a dead end argument path.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13143 on: November 18, 2011, 03:31:54 PM

How dark is the rose coloring on your glasses?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13144 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:38 PM

None of the spoken dialogue tells you to kill 10 boars, those quests just appear magically as you do the tasks the spoken dialogue wants you to do.

Yes, you are still killing 10 boars (or not boars really, more like imperial cannon fodder), but this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13145 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:45 PM

No really, they did a pretty good job of not giving you quests where they tell you to go off and kill x of y.  All of those are done as bonus quests.  So say they tell you to go destroy x to stop y.  You would go out to that area and if you happen to kill a mob there may pop a bonus mission that gives you xp if you kill 20.  However it's not a requirement.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13146 on: November 18, 2011, 03:36:40 PM

No really, they did a pretty good job of not giving you quests where they tell you to go off and kill x of y.  All of those are done as bonus quests.  So say they tell you to go destroy x to stop y.  You would go out to that area and if you happen to kill a mob there may pop a bonus mission that gives you xp if you kill 20.  However it's not a requirement.

That's not entirely true. If you skip the "Bonus" quests, you'll fall behind the level/content curve. You can make it up by doing a few space missions for example or maybe a dungeon run, but it is a factor.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13147 on: November 18, 2011, 03:37:12 PM

Ok, I think we got it.

Also, you see fishing to level 20 as a viable leveling path.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13148 on: November 18, 2011, 03:37:42 PM

I think they did a decent job of giving the illusion of doing something different with the quests by using interactive storylines, VOs and secondary quests. Once the newness wears off I'm not sure how well that illusion will hold up.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13149 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:24 PM

I think they did a decent job of giving the illusion of doing something different with the quests by using interactive storylines, VOs and secondary quests. Once the newness wears off I'm not sure how well that illusion will hold up.

Well Metzen's fan fiction carried WoW for half a decade, I'm giving SWTOR at least a few years probably.  why so serious?

Like I said before, it's the new content that will be the big question mark. SWTOR as it is right now will give most people at least half a year of content and fun is my guess, but after that? I have no idea what will happen.

I want to say Bioware is aware and already prepared for this... but who the fuck knows!

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13150 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:49 PM

Maybe it is because I actually read the text in other games that I don't see the difference. Most games try to disguise the kill ten rats quests with dialog but you actually have to read. When a animated character with a actor voice tells me he is doing experiments on the local animal life so go out and gather some parts and I then kill one and a counter goes from 0 of 10 to 1 of 10 I don't understand how you can say it is so much better.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13151 on: November 18, 2011, 03:45:36 PM

I'm not the one saying there's a difference.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13152 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:56 PM

On this AC stuff, you're not getting the sameness aspect. You can't go to a different zone. You're using the exact same abilities until you pick your AC. The way they play isn't different enough to make them really distinct classes. As stated, they're way closer to glorified talent trees than different classes.

Soo the fact that a Sith Marauder has about 40 different abilities that a Sith Juggernaut doesn't have doesn't make them different enough?  How about that the Marauder has stealth and Juggernauts don't?  Or the fact that Juggernauts use heavy armor and marauders wear medium.  Or hey Marauders can dual wield and Juggernauts can't.

Sith Warrior's have like 12 abilites that are shared between the two AC's and half of those are basic abilities they both would have even if they were split up into 2 separate ones.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #13153 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:30 PM

We are Republic because that's where the Trooper is, deal with it!  cool

So there will be a F13 Republic guild? Awesome.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13154 on: November 18, 2011, 03:54:01 PM

Maybe it is because I actually read the text in other games that I don't see the difference. Most games try to disguise the kill ten rats quests with dialog but you actually have to read. When a animated character with a actor voice tells me he is doing experiments on the local animal life so go out and gather some parts and I then kill one and a counter goes from 0 of 10 to 1 of 10 I don't understand how you can say it is so much better.

Are you refering too:

Or:

Those are the only two quests I experienced in the entire game where spoken dialogue refers to the bear asses you collect.

Sand: No, there is not a F13 republic guild.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #13155 on: November 18, 2011, 03:55:11 PM

And the functional difference between a WoW spec and a SWTOR advanced class is?
(Especially come MoP).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #13156 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:15 PM

Sand: No, there is not a F13 republic guild.

Ohhhhh, I see.  Then someone should start one because I want to play a Republic Sage healer.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13157 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:37 PM

Soo the fact that a Sith Marauder has about 40 different abilities that a Sith Juggernaut doesn't have doesn't make them different enough?  How about that the Marauder has stealth and Juggernauts don't?  Or the fact that Juggernauts use heavy armor and marauders wear medium.  Or hey Marauders can dual wield and Juggernauts can't.

Sith Warrior's have like 12 abilites that are shared between the two AC's and half of those are basic abilities they both would have even if they were split up into 2 separate ones.

I sincerely doubt the Marauder has 40 different abilities from the Juggernaut.

They also share a resource and combat model, that is kinda important on the scale of 'are these things the same or different'.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13158 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:39 PM

So there will be a F13 Republic guild? Awesome.

Some of Slap frequents F13.  However, Slap is not an F13 guild per se.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13159 on: November 18, 2011, 04:00:54 PM

And the functional difference between a WoW spec and a SWTOR advanced class is?
(Especially come MoP).

It's better to look at it like current WoW.  A Mage has 3 talent trees: Fire, Frost, and Arcane.  Each SWTOR Advanced Class also has 3 talent trees.  Example a Powertech has Firebug, Advanced Prototype, and Shield Tech.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: