Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 06:05:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 825248 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #805 on: April 26, 2010, 12:26:05 PM

N1 on VZW is replaced by Incredible on VZW: http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-nexus-one-partnerships.html

N1 on Vodaphone available directly from them: http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/google-nexus-one

Hardware-wise, N1 and Incredible are nearly identical.  I'm a little bummed -- I was looking forward to shipping on three of the four major US carriers with one project, but so it goes.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:35 PM

N1 on VZW is replaced by Incredible on VZW: http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-nexus-one-partnerships.html

N1 on Vodaphone available directly from them: http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/google-nexus-one

Hardware-wise, N1 and Incredible are nearly identical.  I'm a little bummed -- I was looking forward to shipping on three of the four major US carriers with one project, but so it goes.

Excellent.  Perhaps the pace will be picked up in Sense-flavor Android updates.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: April 28, 2010, 11:21:54 AM

Realistically Nexus One does not show a significant performance boost between 768MHz and 1GHz because once you get near 800MHz you're operating as fast as or faster than you can move data across the bus.  Raw cpu speed is a really bad indicator of relative performance, especially on embedded systems where bus interface, hw accel, cache config, etc will have a huge impact on things.
So practically, I can limit its clock to 768Mhz and maybe save a little battery? Or does that not have much effect, because the CPU is stalling itself waiting for data --edit: when running at 1Ghz?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:43:22 AM by TripleDES »

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:53 PM

We dynamically scale the CPU frequency based on load, and the bulk of the time the CPU is halted completely (even when the screen is on).  There is some *slight* savings from moving the max speed down to 768, but it's pretty much in the noise.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #809 on: April 28, 2010, 06:18:17 PM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:46 PM

Yeah, this feels like an variation of their "we have a bunch of secret patents you need to license to use linux" thing that they've been going after various parties for a while now.  Obnoxious.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: April 30, 2010, 05:33:12 PM

I would just like to take a moment and wish that the dev team who made the Listen app for Android be given extra bonuses and a pony and whatever the heck else they'd like.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #812 on: May 01, 2010, 08:33:50 AM

So the GF wants an Android for her birthday. She has Sprint. Should I get her the Hero or wait till the EVO comes out? I"m a total newb at Android phones, being part of the blessed lobotomized iPhone masses myself.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #813 on: May 01, 2010, 09:24:21 AM

I went to the verizon store and played with the new Incredible earlier - holy shit is that thing fast compared to the girlfriends hero.  Looks like I'll be switching to Verizon soon, At&t has pushed the x10 from April to November, and I really don't feel like waiting that fucking long for a new phone.  Not a fan of paying $90/mo for 900 minutes and unlimited data, but the 26% wells fargo discount makes it better than paying $120.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: May 01, 2010, 10:02:40 AM

So the GF wants an Android for her birthday. She has Sprint. Should I get her the Hero or wait till the EVO comes out? I"m a total newb at Android phones, being part of the blessed lobotomized iPhone masses myself.

As a Hero owner, I say definitely wait for the EVO. When I first got it I didn't notice so much since it was my first smart-phone but after I've had it this long and messing around with my roommate's Nexus it really is noticeable how slow it is now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:07:38 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: May 01, 2010, 03:36:15 PM

Yeah, Hero was nice at launch, but the MSM7201A is feeling pretty underpowered these days.   The higher end 2010 Android phones are all pretty zippy.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #816 on: May 01, 2010, 07:14:55 PM

So ya, I think we'll wait till the HTC EVO comes out in June, I think I read somewhere. Should be pretty sweet with 4 g and the ability of using it as a router for 4 devices. If its as good as it sounds, I may ditch the iPhone.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: May 02, 2010, 07:16:38 AM

I would watch out for battery life on the evo.  From what I hear the incredible's battery isn't great and with the evo's huge screen it will probably be worse.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #818 on: May 02, 2010, 07:42:27 AM

I read that that's largely a function of whether you leave apps open or not, at least on other Android phones. Then again, everyone has complained about the iPhone battery life, and I have never ever ever dipped below 30% use a day (70% left). I don't know what people -do- with their phone. Are you calculating Pi? Watching the entire Godfather series on Flash? Jaezus.

schild
Administrator

Reply #819 on: May 02, 2010, 07:59:13 AM

I read that that's largely a function of whether you leave apps open or not, at least on other Android phones. Then again, everyone has complained about the iPhone battery life, and I have never ever ever dipped below 30% use a day (70% left). I don't know what people -do- with their phone. Are you calculating Pi? Watching the entire Godfather series on Flash? Jaezus.
They're using it. I can't think of a phone where I didn't dip below 30% since 2000 or so _every_day_. The Neopoint 1000 was the only exception.

It had a massive battery. This was also something like 1997 or 1998 or something. I loved that phone, until a stray nail at a store in Georgetown went through it. Used it up until then, never even thought about switching but then, suddenly, I had no choice. :( :( :( :(
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #820 on: May 02, 2010, 04:31:01 PM

So, my incredible got here. It's pretty cool, but I do have some complaints.

The HTC sense stuff linking facebook/twitter contacts so that they show up when you hit phone is SERIOUSLY obnoxious. I also couldn't find a way to turn it off, as the sync settings in the facebook app gave no love, nor did the settings->accounts & sync->manage accounts->facebook give any love. I was about to throw it through the wall until I stumbled upon the answer in the SA thread:

Go to People app and tell it not to display Facebook contacts. Sense facebook doesn't sync the same way as normal, so you can't break it down the same way.

I can't describe how annoying it was to have to hunt through 3 different options menus in 3 different places on the OS. That's a thumbs down. I know that's due to the sense overlay, but still.

There is also an app called "City Id" which is installed by default and cannot be removed. It's a city/state number lookup, which is fine, but they (Verizon?) want you to pay $2 per month to use it after 15 days, which is absolutely not fine. The fact that such information is public record, that they are actually asking a recurring fee for such a trivial program, something I have never seen on any other app, and that the information doesn't even show on the incoming call page means that this program is the worst kind of shovelware and I only assume someone got some serious blowjobs at verizon to include it.

But that's not really the huge issue. The issue is that apparently, once your free trial is over, it pops up every time you finish a phone call asking if you'd like to purchase it. This is the worst kind of nagware bordering on malware and you are completely unable to remove it since it's in the protected storage area. I've still got 14 days left, so I assume there will be a patch letting you turn that shit off. I can't believe that a program like that would make it into wide release and that people are getting suckered into paying $2 per MONTH to use it!

How the FUCK did they get a patent on that?! Seriously! They are milking that garbage for every cent. Look at their "revenue calculator".

Here is a list of apps that I like:
barcode scanner
advanced task killer
astro file manager
video player
dc metro transit inf
ustream broadcaster
movies
shazam
listen
last.fm
wikidroid
bump
cardar
connectbot
andchat
goggles
shelves

There seems to be a possible bug with the barcode reader viewfinder size. This ticket suggests that the viewfinder size was increased with 3.0 (current published version is 3.22) but it is still seriously small. There's 3/4ths of an inch wasted on either size and 1/4 inch above and below. I've had real trouble scanning long barcodes compared to my friend's iphone which scanned them fine. Has anyone else gotten one or can confirm/deny that the size is correct? It just seems way too small.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:38:21 PM by bhodi »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: May 02, 2010, 05:43:55 PM

Took me a while to get used to just how much Sense Heart Facebook. You can get it all set up however you want, but it isn't all that friendly getting there - can't imagine a typical iphone user being comfortable with it.

In other news, Google turned on Maps Navigation in the UK the other week - which I'm liking a lot.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: May 02, 2010, 06:07:59 PM

Just got a Droid Eris, it's a sweet little honey!  Strikes me as Verizon's version of the iPhone.  So far the 3G is acceptably fast.  The touchscreen keyboard is a bit small, but I'm getting better with it.  I've been with Verizon for five years and have never had any trouble from them.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: May 02, 2010, 06:36:16 PM

Why get the Eris when the Incredible is just coming out?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:40:26 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #824 on: May 02, 2010, 07:07:37 PM

Oh. My. God.  YEAH BABY, DROID TETHER FOR THE WIN!

For those who missed it last month - I had a business trip, and needless to say the hotel "High Speed Wireless" fucking sucked balls (when it would connect).  Tonight it let me connect (guarantee wont be able to connect to the hotel tomorrow) and was running a STUNNING 500k connection.  Then it dropped off.

Popped on my droid; 1.5M consistently.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ironically, I will probably just play Civ 4 the rest of the night.  Really its the principle of the matter.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: May 02, 2010, 07:26:23 PM

So, my incredible got here. It's pretty cool, but I do have some complaints.

Dude, you are seriously my favorite person.  I just ordered an Incredible tonight and as always, you give me a list of shit that will make life easier.  Now we just need a "Necessary android apps" sticky.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: May 02, 2010, 08:15:24 PM

There is also an app called "City Id" which is installed by default and cannot be removed. It's a city/state number lookup, which is fine, but they (Verizon?) want you to pay $2 per month to use it after 15 days, which is absolutely not fine. The fact that such information is public record, that they are actually asking a recurring fee for such a trivial program, something I have never seen on any other app, and that the information doesn't even show on the incoming call page means that this program is the worst kind of shovelware and I only assume someone got some serious blowjobs at verizon to include it.

But that's not really the huge issue. The issue is that apparently, once your free trial is over, it pops up every time you finish a phone call asking if you'd like to purchase it. This is the worst kind of nagware bordering on malware and you are completely unable to remove it since it's in the protected storage area. I've still got 14 days left, so I assume there will be a patch letting you turn that shit off. I can't believe that a program like that would make it into wide release and that people are getting suckered into paying $2 per MONTH to use it!

Hadn't heard about this.  Yuck.  I forwarded this on to some of our partner management folks and asked them if they could poke VZW about it. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:23 AM

For those who missed it last month - I had a business trip, and needless to say the hotel "High Speed Wireless" fucking sucked balls (when it would connect).  Tonight it let me connect (guarantee wont be able to connect to the hotel tomorrow) and was running a STUNNING 500k connection.  Then it dropped off.

Popped on my droid; 1.5M consistently.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ironically, I will probably just play Civ 4 the rest of the night.  Really its the principle of the matter.

Did you tether via cable or bluetooth?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: May 03, 2010, 11:12:48 AM

So I just found out my contract with Tmobile runs up in October.  My fiancee's contract with them runs out in June 2011.

That's $100 for me and $200 for her.  I'm going to hit up a Verizon store and see what the deal is with an Incredible and another phone for two new lines and the cost of the service and new contract.

It doesn't look good for us.  :(  My G1 is sloooooowing down and I need something new.  Why did I ever leave Verizon? :sigh:
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: May 03, 2010, 04:29:54 PM

My incredible arrives tomorrow. Woot.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: May 03, 2010, 04:46:01 PM

I'm going to hit up a Verizon store

Amazon is discounting by $50 already. If you need a new plan, this might be better than a VZ store:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HC8NUW

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: May 03, 2010, 04:49:12 PM

Amazon had it for $99 yesterday morning but it went out qiuck, you still have to pay the activation through amazon, and can get $30 off on vzw's website using the coupon SMART30.  Comes out to $185 on amazon vs. $169 on verizon.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: May 03, 2010, 04:52:27 PM

Better off at a Verizon website than a Verizon store then. :)

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:12 PM

Better off at a Verizon website than a Verizon store then. :)

The Verizon store wouldn't do the $30 smart30 coupon, AND the $100 rebate isn't instant, it's mail-in, with an expected turnaround of 3-8 weeks.  I really hope I don't have any problems with verizon, because their customer service so far fucking *sucks*.  Seriously the worst I've ever dealt with, everyone seems completely and absolutely incompetent.  The 'manager' at the verizon store was giving me information that 'customers had told her', and had no response to "How can an independent reseller offer a lower price than a corporate owned store, do you even know what those words mean or what you're saying?"

It really is an awesome phone though, and I've had to call AT&T customer service maybe twice in 3 years, so I'm hoping I really won't have to deal with them.  I got sick of waiting for AT&T to bring out the X10 (or another decent android phone) and was pretty unhappy with their whole "no insurance on smartphones" policy anyways.

Edit: It was also only $30 more for the phone with a $35 activation fee (vs $0 activation) to get into a 1 year contract instead of a two.  As fast as technology is moving on new phones, I figured it was worth the $65 to be out of contract a year early.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:07:05 PM by Nerf »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #834 on: May 03, 2010, 07:06:29 PM

Did you tether via cable or bluetooth?

USB cable.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: May 03, 2010, 09:15:26 PM

I decided to wait before switching.  I don't feel like spending the extra 100$ for breaking my Tmobile contract.  It runs up in October anyway.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: May 05, 2010, 08:06:27 AM

So new Intel Atom z6xx series is out with support for Android platform.

Some highlights:
  • Clocking upto 1.5Ghz smartphone/1.9Ghz tablet
  • Hyper-threading
  • Hardware HD decoding/encoding via GMA600
  • Big reduction over previous Atom MID on power consumption
  • AES instructions in core
  • World of Warcraft via Crossover

They are talking up 5-6hrs surfing a day or two standby but I haven't seen a breakdown compared to a snapdragon.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:40 PM

I think Intel's still a year or two away from starting to be competitive in the mobile space...
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:21 AM

I think Intel's still a year or two away from starting to be competitive in the mobile space...

It's 1-2w TDP seems still out of line from the ARM based processors, it really needs another shrink to 32nm or such (currently the core is 45nm and the mp20 is 65nm). Besides that the PowerVR still scares me from driver issues with the kyro ages ago. Oh well the competition is good!

Some more slides from the news release.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #839 on: May 07, 2010, 05:25:51 AM

That was some nice fan mail for Quinton.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: