Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 04:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 825241 times)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2205 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:51 PM

Not exactly Android, but my Chromebook arrived today and I've been playing with it all afternoon.  It's an odd device, and really, I don't think their marketing is entirely that far off (though some of the things such as printing aren't quite as intuitive as it probably should be).  I definitely like a lot about it, but we'll see how the app support comes along for this.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2206 on: November 20, 2012, 01:35:14 AM

So I didn't stay up all night waiting to purchase a Nexus 4 as soon as it came on sale with the result that I didn't manage to get one and really hadn't expected the backlog in orders there seems to be. People who did put a purchase in after stock ran out are being informed it'll be a 1-3 week wait to get their order filled with no indication of when they'll be restocked for new orders, which sort of sucks as I would like to get a new phone and the N4 is the first aside from the SIII that's been tempting. What's more annoying is seeing people selling 3 or 4 on eBay for a £250 mark up, I'm really not sure why they didn't limit initial orders to 1 per customer as who the hell needs to buy 4 phones?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2207 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:05 AM

I generally despise scalpers, but this is one are where I find it just funny. If you can find someone willing to pay a 100% premium on phone to avoid a two week delay, go for it. The people paying these prices, 99% of them already have a functional phone in their pocket, that they bought brand new six months ago.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2208 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:57 AM

Goddamn Nexus 4 is never going to be in stock again.

To Bunk's point, my phone is actually barely functional now.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2209 on: November 26, 2012, 05:29:23 PM

Going back a bit, I have been using an Android PDF reader with animated page turns for WAY more than a year. I don't see how this one can hold up, there has to be an absolute shitload of prior art.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2210 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:04 PM

Goddamn Nexus 4 is never going to be in stock again.

This. Holiday season too. Google does not know how to do hardware.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2211 on: November 26, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

I have not been happy with my Motorola Triumph at all, lucky for me Virgin runs some pretty kick ass Black Friday-Cyber Monday deals.  Getting an Evo 3d/4g for $149, nexus 4 looks great and all but for $35/month i'm fine with Evo's 2 year old top of the line tech and since the wi-max network is pretty much a ghost town the 4g speeds rock.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2212 on: November 27, 2012, 07:28:06 AM

RUMOR is Nexus 4s should be on the Play Store 12PST today, Nov 27th. My buddy got a message from google about it. I'll have to check it.

edit: rumors were true and it was, yet again, another clusterfuck on ordering.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:07:52 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2213 on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:05 PM

If it makes anyone feel better (probably not), there are a lot of engineers who worked their butts off to get the 4.2 release ready for this launch and are yet again very, very grumpy.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2214 on: November 27, 2012, 05:01:52 PM

I've been annoyed at the Nexus 4 bumper being out of stock and not being able to find a case in any store. Finally just ordered a case on Amazon, sight unseen.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2215 on: November 28, 2012, 04:47:17 AM

Traded in my Incredible yesterday for a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon.  Going from using Gingerbread for 2 years to Jellybean has been rather  awesome, for real.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #2216 on: November 28, 2012, 05:36:09 AM

If it makes anyone feel better (probably not), there are a lot of engineers who worked their butts off to get the 4.2 release ready for this launch and are yet again very, very grumpy.

I actually found it quite amusing that with soooo many people trying to hit the server at the same time, people would have that much of an issue with the process itself. Guess they are not gamers by nature.

And with all the bitching about not taking pre-orders... This is a pre-order, in a basic sense. Product ships in 4-5 weeks means, to me at least, that the stock is not there and stuff is being built. Either way, spamming the proceed button worked and I am finally going to be able to shed Verizon and cut my monthly in half.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2217 on: November 28, 2012, 08:50:10 AM

I'm sure there were also plenty of people out there hitting the server every 5 seconds with check4change/autorefresh, gotta love it when 500k people generate the load of 10 million.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2218 on: November 28, 2012, 09:51:40 AM

Don't even have a way to say this nicely - preorders can suck my dick. This is 2012.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2219 on: November 28, 2012, 10:50:15 AM

What does 2012 have anything to do with it?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2220 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:17 AM

I stopped preordering things years ago. Kickstarter is the only pass I'll give anyone on that.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2221 on: November 29, 2012, 02:16:17 AM

What people mean regarding pre-orders in the N4 case is being able to place orders when the item is out of stock. For the launch itself Google was only accepting orders on items it had in stock, which combined with the server getting hammered and people getting the phone dropped out of their cart after they'd started the order process along with maybe Google adding more stock a couple of times, meant that you had hordes of people F5'ing to try and be able to order the phone. So in this case it means being able to place the order and just wait for the phone to turn up, safe in the knowledge that it should be arriving in a month rather than having to keep tabs on Google's site and hoping you get prior warning so you can log on half an hour before and start F5'ing again.

That said they've only got that pre-order opened in the US, the rest of the world is still out of stock (although we did all get that nice banner when the Play Store was getting hammered telling us it wasn't actually out of stock even though it was). The bumper is still in stock in the UK though awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2222 on: November 29, 2012, 02:49:23 AM

My galaxy nexus updated last night.

A review.

New clock is a bit ugly, new lock screen too busy, but do like being able to access the camera without unlocking.

Camera updates are neat. Can be summed up as 'lol fb paid one billion dollars for instagram'.

The music app seems to be trying to sell me things. Also audio search has disappeared - was hoping this would get developed into a full blown shazaam thing.  (Fake edit: oh, I gather this happened a while back)

Not noticed any other changes yet.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:51:46 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #2223 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:45 AM

Fiancee needs a new phone like now yesterday since she's switching jobs. I need a new phone like now yesterday because my phone has AIDS. Given our inability to order a fucking Nexus 4 and have it get here in the time we need it, we may be just sucking it all up and saying Fuckit and get a pair of iPhone 5s on Sprint this week. As gross as that sounds, I'm left with little choice. Bleh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2224 on: December 03, 2012, 12:01:12 PM

What's wrong with a Samsung Galaxy S III?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2225 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:20 PM

The only Android phone I'd be willing to get right now is the Nexus 4 due to the ability to get it cheaply without signing a contract. If I'm signing a contract, I'm just getting an iPhone. I have zero tolerance for the way cell phone companies do business. Just the worst. I haven't been on a contract for nearly a decade.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2226 on: December 03, 2012, 12:15:23 PM

Basically, we're both willing to drop $700 on two of the Nexus 4s to not be on a contract, but we're certainly not willing to sign a contract for the roughly equivalent phone with a savings of a total $300 or so. It's just utter fucking nonsense.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2227 on: December 03, 2012, 12:16:24 PM

You have virtually zero carrier mobility, though, here in the US. AT&T and T-Mobile are the only two you can switch between with an unlocked GSM phone. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA so you are locked into them with whichever phone you get.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2228 on: December 03, 2012, 12:32:06 PM

Well fuck me then.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2229 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:12 PM

Pretty much awesome, for real

Though now that I think about this some more some CDMA phones include GSM bands so that they can be "world phones". If the GSM baseband is unlocked or easily unlockable, in theory you could switch between a single CDMA provider (Verizon or Sprint) and AT&T or T-Mobile. The Version CDMA iPhone 5 is actually such a beast as it's been confirmed that Verizon left the GSM baseband unlocked on that device (e.g. AT&T nano-SIM will work fine). Sprint will apparently unlock an iPhone 5 for use in foreign countries but not in the US.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2230 on: December 03, 2012, 02:16:43 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 7 with att data compatibility, hopefully I can just swap the sim from the increasingly crashy and slow Pantech Element I've been using.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2231 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:36 PM

What Trippy said. Though I am in no way officially confirming it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2232 on: December 03, 2012, 03:48:52 PM

You do have to be careful with GSM/UMTS support to be sure that your preferred US carrier is supported, since due to quirks of US spectrum allocation it actually requires a pentaband UMTS device to support both ATT and TMO as well as Europe and Asia.  Often phones sold in the US market will support only one of ATT/TMO to reduce cost/complexity -- you'll want to verify that you get the right combo if that's the case with the iPhone5.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2233 on: December 06, 2012, 08:32:01 PM

Looks like I might end up on Verizon. Is the Droid DNA better than the Samsung Galaxy SIII? I mean, what's the best phone if I can pick anything?

Edit: The Samsung Note2 is also an option.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:38:42 PM by schild »
Terracotta Army

Reply #2234 on: December 07, 2012, 04:05:40 AM

Looks like I might end up on Verizon. Is the Droid DNA better than the Samsung Galaxy SIII? I mean, what's the best phone if I can pick anything?

From my circle of mobile nerds on G+, the NoteII is hands down great if you are willing to put up with the stylus. It has the best functions out of anything my friends have owned. However, they do say it is large - which is great for the screen and multiple windows, but bad for transporting around.

I think the SIII is Samsung's best phone as of right now for those dimensions.

-these are opinions of self-professed mobile junkies so YMMV. Droid Razor I believe is hands down the best battery life out of everything atm.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2235 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:04 AM

If being able to change batteries and add storage are important you should go with the SIII or NoteII. 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2236 on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Based on this thread, I've just picked up the Samsung Galaxy SIII and it's awesome.  Most of it is easy to figure out, but a couple of items still elude me.  With my old SIM card I've got all of my old contacts, pics and videos.  Good stuff.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2237 on: December 08, 2012, 06:47:41 AM

With Android phones you're syncing your contacts to a gmail account. So I'm not exactly sure why you would need a SIM card to get those. As for pics and videos, I'm a guy so that shit doesn't exist on my phone.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2238 on: December 08, 2012, 06:52:59 AM

Didn't need my SIM card for my contacts, but I did for my pics and vids.  They were previously downloaded to my PC but I like to have them on my phone.  Didn't realize I lost a Man Card doing this.  I'll make up for it by shaving a grizzly with a rusty tin can.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2239 on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:11 AM

So, my GF finally took me at my word regarding my whining about Apples decline and wants to buy me a Nexus 4 for Christmas.

She will use some relatives to buy it in the German Google Play store. Will there be any problem getting it to work another Goggle account than the one buying it?

Is it realistic to wait for another Nexus 4 model with more than the pitiful 16GB or should I swallow that bitter pill right now? That would be quite the downgrade from the 64GB I have now, my Podcasts alone run at ~9GB?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: