Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dead Space - EA Redwood Shores - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Space - EA Redwood Shores - 360  (Read 43970 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: October 16, 2008, 01:11:30 PM

Been looking forward to this one for a while now.  That Warren Ellis worked on the backstory, and his Fell collaborator Ben Templesmith did the art for the comics (watch the somewhat animated versions on gametrailers.com) only increased my enthusiasm.  Add to that the DVD release of Dead Space: Downfall (which I likely won't be picking up), and it's obvious that EA's ambitions for Dead Space go far beyond just games.  Of course if the game itself ended up being shit, none of those plans would matter.  So, having played a couple hours of the game so far, how do I feel the game itself stacks up?

The first thing that caught my attention was how effective the complete lack of an HUD feels.  Getting rid of all the clutter on screen really does a lot to help the atmosphere, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bioshock 2 copy some of Dead Space's ideas in this regard.  Speaking of Bioshock, while many previews have made the obvious comparisons to Resident Evil and Silent Hill, those who compared it to Bioshock were much more accurate.  Picture Bioshock on a space ship with enemies that have to be dismembered, and you'll get a pretty good idea of whether or not you'll like this game.

So the atmosphere of the game is pretty well done, but how about the controls?  To be honest, I do have a few issues with them.  In particular I hate having to hold down the left bumper to run, and there are just too many controls in general.  It feels odd to have such an elegant HUD (or rather a lack of HUD), and then to have the controls be so cluttered.  This is one game where I can see the controls being somewhat better on the PS3, just for the fact that the left analog stick on the 360 is a little too close to the left trigger and bumper, both of which get heavy use in this game (probably over half the controls require holding down one of those buttons while pressing another).  Just felt awkward to me to have my thumb, index finger, and middle finger on my left hand all crowded together and in constant use like that.  Obviously this is a matter of personal preference.

The other question I imagine people will ask about this game is whether or not it's scary.  Now I haven't really gotten that far into yet, but it does have some scary moments so far.  It's not as creepy as the first couple Silent Hill games, but you'll definitely be feeling some tension while you're playing.  There's enough downtime in between attacks usually that the tension builds to a point where everytime I rounded a corner or entered a room I almost wanted something to attack me just to get it out of the way.  Most of the scares so far have been of the "quick shock of something jumping out at you" variety.

All in all this game is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for (although with some minor control complaints).

- Buy It
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:35:21 PM

On the PS3 the controls are vastly superior, you nailed it. Having played both versions, I really can't recommend this  as a 360 title to anyone that owns both systems.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:08:59 PM

On the PS3 the controls are vastly superior, you nailed it. Having played both versions, I really can't recommend this  as a 360 title to anyone that owns both systems.

Please go in to detail on this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:14:37 PM

Please go in to detail on this.

Running requires holding down the left bumper and moving with the left analog stick.  Since they're so close together on the 360 controller, it cramps the fuck out of my index finger, which also has to spend a lot of time holding down the left trigger for drawing your gun, or using stasis and Kinesis.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:21:20 PM

Argh, why is moving on the left stick!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:03 PM

Uh, why wouldn't it be?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:02:41 PM

Uh, why wouldn't it be?

Cause they where trying to pull a Too Human?
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:05:35 PM

Move is on the left stick in Too Human also.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:06:43 PM

Maybe I got my left and right confused. Shit, now I won't know wtf is normal until I go home and fire up the 360.  swamp poop

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:10:58 PM

Wat
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:11:11 PM

Um yeah. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. swamp poop

P.S. Snape kills Diablo.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:54:39 AM

Um yeah. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. swamp poop

P.S. Snape kills Diablo.

Spoiler that shit!

Asshole.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 11:27:33 AM

How scary is the game?

Are we talking Silent Hill or Bioshock? Bioshock I can do but Silent Hill just creeped me out to much.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 11:28:12 AM

In between. There was one part though, that sticks out, that made my stomach turn. It was great.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:39:41 PM

The movement and controls have halted my progress in the game. For some reason I just have issues with the number of things to press at any time on a controller to do shit. I'd have preferred mappable controls, since they'd make more sense to me (L1 to aim + L2 to fire would be better for my brain), a lot of my scare factor in the game was due to the over shoulder camera (my brain again, I'd be more comfortable over the OTHER shoulder, this side makes my eyes hurt for some reason), and when jumped trying to remember what button does what.

The HUDless system is fucking Wonderful however. Like, amazing and shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 12:42:12 PM

You're finding the controls that complicated?

/shrug

I've already beat the game and through part of my second run through. It's no more complicated than memorizing a hotbar in an MMOG.

(L1 to aim + L2 to fire would be better for my brain)

WAT

Are you crazy? Maybe that's the problem. I don't keep my middle finger on the triggers, index for both shoulder buttons.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 12:47:14 PM

I dislike having to use both hands to do something simplistic, I also dislike the timing on the skills. Basically with having to split aim/fire where if you hit fire too soon you end up punching is strange to me. L1 aim L2 fire would give me a far smoother combat mechanic for how I hold the controller. Hence the love of mappable buttons.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 12:48:48 PM

Did you play through RE4? Did it allow you to remap buttons?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:23 PM

I didn't play RE4 at all, I stopped REs at like, 2 or something.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 01:46:13 PM

Well, in that case, I should warn you, it's become the norm for L trigger/bumper to pull out the gun and right trigger/bumper to fire.

Just keep playing, it's worth it.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 02:06:12 AM

So, wait.  Are we talking System Shock 2, here (exploration, hacking/secret uncovering, careful resource management, chilling statements on humanity) or Silent Hill (more linear, no hacking, oh my god something's eating my face)?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 02:37:46 AM

Like I said, it's more like Bioshock.  It's fairly linear (at any time you can press a button to bring up a line on the ground pointing you to your next objective), with a small amount of exploration if you're looking for items or ammo.  There's also a lot of backtracking through areas.  You have to conserve ammo somewhat, but really it's not a huge problem on normal difficulty as just about every enemy you kill either drops ammo or money (or something you can sell for money) which you can then take to one of the numerous stores in the game to purchase whatever you need.  People who thought Bioshock was too easy might want to just start off on the hardest difficulty here.
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 02:26:53 PM

Dude, get this game. I haven't played much but it's solid. Graphics are tight, controls feel tight. I got startled more than 5 times in the 1st chapter... i was playing in the dark with headphones on. Particularly the "omg theres one right behind me" moments. Have you ever felt a more satisfying melee in a shooter?

oh and the backtracking works because thats what you would be doing in that situation
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:28:57 PM by RUiN 427 »

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 02:42:48 PM

The backtracking doesn't matter once big. The reality is you're in a confined space. As I said in the review - nobody complained about backtracking when they were watching Event Horizon or Pitch Black.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 02:48:39 PM

The sound for this game is fucking incredible. It's giving my finally finished basement home-theatre a real nice work-out.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:40 PM

The sound for this game is fucking incredible.

YES

Possibly better than MGS4.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 03:14:44 AM

In between. There was one part though, that sticks out, that made my stomach turn. It was great.

I'm curious as to what part that was.  Just finished up the game tonight and never came across anything disturbing enough to make my stomach turn.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:17 AM

I'm curious as to what part that was.  Just finished up the game tonight and never came across anything disturbing enough to make my stomach turn.
I've started playing through it again, and turns out it simply won't happen every time. I managed to get myself into a space where something horrific spawned right in front of me. Turns out it wasn't scripted.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:07 AM

Anyone played the PC version? Any comments?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 12:11:20 PM

Anyone played the PC version? Any comments?

I'm hoping Direct2Drive lets me download it soon.  They said Oct 21 but I'm suspicious they are a bunch of cockgobblers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 09:13:01 PM

I played a few minutes of this just now on PC.  I'm not sure I am going to be happy with the mouse settings, but I will keep fiddling with it.  Basically, the mouse is too responsive in the menus and not responsive enough in the game.  This is my only complaint so far.  The UI is incredible and is going to be stolen more than the Butcher Bay health system.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 02:24:07 PM

Any concerns that the game is to short? I heard 5-6 hours.

I reall would like to buy it just to poor, and stuck on WoW. Haven't touched my 360 in a while.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 02:30:55 PM

Took me around 10 hours I think, but I'm the kind of person that likes to wander around and look for hidden items.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 09:48:44 PM

I reall would like to buy it just to poor, and stuck on WoW. Haven't touched my 360 in a while.

Ouch, seriously?

I was thinking of picking this up, but there's no way I'm dropping 50 bucks on a game that lasts 6 hours. This is getting ridiculous.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:53 PM

It's not 5-6 hours. Maybe the second time through with the army gear and all the weapons even then MAYBE. I'm exceptionally good at shooters of the RE4 variety and the first run took me 10-12 I think. Maybe even more, I did A LOT of dicking around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dead Space - EA Redwood Shores - 360  
Jump to: