Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch Version 1.0.2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch Version 1.0.2  (Read 12083 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: October 08, 2008, 04:05:26 PM

Linky
Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Once again into the white lion's mouth we boldly go with another patch. As such, here are some highlights from the next patch. The full patch notes will be posted later today with all the goodness from this patch. We're currently *hoping* to get the patch up and running tomorrow but after last week's patch, we'll hold it up if necessary.

1) We have added a 'Join All' button to the scenario window which now allows players to join all scenario queues in their current tier at once.

2) In order to promote realm and population balance, some realms on some servers will now award their players with a +20% bonus to renown points and experience. This is not a permanent bonus, but rather a temporary incentive to promote balance. Realms currently offering this bonus are marked on the server list with a colored icon; blue for Order and Red for Destruction - Check the Herald for the latest list!

3) In an ongoing effort to deter players from going AFK while in scenario starting areas, we have made the following changes:

a. Players who join a scenario and remain in their realm's spawn area for two minutes will be automatically removed from that scenario.

b. Upon entering the spawn area of a scenario, players will receive a debuff that prevents them from earning renown, renown points and experience. This debuff will be removed when the player leaves the spawn area.

4) In response to player feedback, we’ve added RvR and NPC chat tabs for new players. These tabs filter scenario chat and NPC chat respectively. In order to minimize frustration to users who have already customized their chat window, we will not be overwriting any current settings, so this change will affect only new players. Players who wish to add these tabs may do so through the normal chat configuration options. While in scenarios, players will no longer be able to select "Need" in their loot windows unless their character can use the item being offered according to his/her race and career. In other words, if you are a level 5 WL, you can "Need" on a level 7 WL item.

5) Fixed a bug that prevented players from creating an alliance with more than two guilds. Now that this issue is resolved, alliances can grow to great numbers to crush their enemies!

6) Fixed an issue that was causing the chat window to reset to its default position at logout.

7) In order to deter players from spam-mailing, WAR continues to enforce a 5-second delay between sending mail messages. However, we have reduced this delay to 1 second for mails being sent to alts or guildmates

8) The war against the gold spammers continues. We’ve added new code that will hinder the spammers as they seek to carry out their nefarious deeds! No details, for obvious reasons. This is only the next step, not the final one, in our continued battle against them.

9) All game logging to files will be disabled by default. This should help those with lower-end machines in heavy congestion areas like scenarios, open RvR, etc. It might even help some higher end machines depending on other programs that are running on the user's machine during these events.

Okay, those are the highlights. We have some important hot fixes as well that we are working on as well that affect open RvR. We'll talk about them as soon as they are ready to go. They will bring a smile to the face of the many people who have been asking what steps we are going to take to help make open RvR more inviting to people. And no, we didn't nerf scenario exp, rp, ASAP, ok? 

Mark

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Also, late word on another change in 1.0.2. From now on, all logging to files done by the client is now disabled by fault. It was accidentally left on from beta and will now be disabled. We'll post instructions on how to turn it back as well. Future versions will also have a GUI that will allow players to tune the file logging.

Thanks for the guys at the Vault for pointing this out to us. We do think that it could be the cause of some lagging in open RvR, scenarios, etc. on some machines. While this should have little effect on the high end rigs (unless you have a ton of other stuff going on in the background), it should definitely help on the lower-end machines.

Mark
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:47:38 PM

b. Upon entering the spawn area of a scenario, players will receive a debuff that prevents them from earning renown, renown points and experience. This debuff will be removed when the player leaves the spawn area.

Two issues I see that may present themselves as problematic:

What happens if I take 1 step outside the spawn area and am still protected by NPC guards? Do I still get rewards while AFK?

What happens if I get killed right before the scenario ends and respawn? Scenario ends while I am still inside the respawn area and I do not get my final XP and RP bonus.

This function will need some tuning. Other than that, these look like some cool fixes and additions.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:53 PM

I'll log in tomorrow and test the lag again, as I will do with every patch. My hope springs eternal...until WoTLK occupies me for a month and a half.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:45:08 PM

Even easier than that. We could call upon the old reliable gamer tool, a PILE OF QUARTERS, to weigh down a "run forward" button.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:54:50 PM

Even easier than that. We could call upon the old reliable gamer tool, a PILE OF QUARTERS, to weigh down a "run forward" button.

I had a pretty cool skull paperweight for UO macroing myself.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:16 PM

I always wedged a coffee stick between the key and the side of the keyhole. Didn't have to worry about anything slipping off that way.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:28 PM

Even if they aren't yet doing deeper class changes, is it too much to ask that one of these patches fix obviously broken abilities (root breakers with 10 sec immunity not giving the immunity, etc?) 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:33:29 AM

I think the focus looks okay. They're doing something for realm imbalance, it probably won't be enough, but it was quick, and its a good start. They're doing more to fight spammers. They're fixing some important game mechanics - alliances and abuse of 'need' rolls. They're looking at client performance, starting with some simple things such as logging. Even though there is a lot more that needs fixed (and things like immunity timers seem simple, so they should be fixed in a relatively early patch), they seem to be working on the right things first.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:40:41 AM

I'm inclined to agree with Right. It would appear that they're at least trying to fix this crap. Patches are coming out constantly, which is  awesome, for real
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:01:42 AM

I disagree.  Population is, by far, the most important issue.  If they don't do something substantive, Order is going to further lose morale and go the way of Shadowbane and have a population cascade failure.

Dogs of War pets should be purchasable in the underdogs warcamps.

"Me am play gods"
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:51 AM

I swear I saw an incentive for people to play the outnumbered side in the patch notes. As I mentioned, I don't think this will be enough, but they're clearly addressing the problem, and its good to see them do so this quickly.

For all we know, they have more complex fixes (such as Dogs of War) in testing, due in the very same patch that addresses the miserable NPC pathing. :)

Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:28:54 AM

You mean miracle patch #171, which will also magically make everything having to do with the game instantly fun and provide you with the most exhilarating entertainment experience since the first time you had sex?

I hate to be a sceptic, but I uhh... don't see that one coming any time soon.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:40:36 AM

There's a 7-day 20% bonus for reknown and xp on Bechafen (Open RvR)  awesome, for real.  So yeah things are looking up.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:21 AM

That never worked for Planetside. Also, i bet, on average, all order players have a higher renown rank, and more renown gear (and RvR dropped gear) than most destruction does, simply because the scenarios pop up more for them, so there was already a reason to roll order, now it will be that much more.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:43:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:43:47 AM

There's a 7-day 20% bonus for reknown and xp on Bechafen (Open RvR)  awesome, for real.  So yeah things are looking up.

That's the only server with the bonus right now.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:52 AM

That's the only server with the bonus right now.

Yeah I read my post too.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 12:32:46 PM

Something else I didn't see mentioned in the notes but was new this morning. THe button to roll "need" for loot is greyed out for anything your toon can't use. Having lost a couple pieces of loot that would have been a big improvement for me to some retard running around naked who "nneds it for his alt" I couldn't be happier.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:28 PM

I didn't notice a lot of difference in performance on my computer at work at lunch... but this machine is running an Nvidia 8400 which is really SHITTY SHIT SHIT SHIT. I'd never tried Morlag Temple on this machine, and I had to turn off all particle effects to have it be decent. I'll see tonight if my 8600 GT is any better than it has been.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:51 PM

Looks like something was broken in the patch, as all servers are down. On the up side, the Altdorf PQs were dropping gold bags again so I finally got another part of the Mayhem set. Now that I've leveled past using it :(
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:54 PM

Which Altdorf PQs?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 01:04:35 PM

I saw a gold bag on the Daemonettes and the Bar Brawl, blue on the Horrors, and purple on the Steam Tank.

I got the Wrists of Mayhem from a gold in the Bar Brawl. Altdorf is level 4 now, and that's supposed to increase set drops.

Also: lots of just green. Probably a 4:1 ratio overall of "only green" to "a big 'un and green"
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:37 PM

Fascinating.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 01:11:45 PM

Looks like I should go back to Altdorf again.  I did almost all of the City Rank 1 stuff.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 01:14:16 PM

Sadly it doesn't look like the XP gain for servers is dynamic. Bechamel and Ungry (or something like that) have 7 day +20% Order gains assigned to them.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 01:16:00 PM

Anyone want to help me with altdorf PQs at some point?

As for the servers: down till 6:30 EST. Gogo horribly broken patch!
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 01:34:56 PM

I swear I saw an incentive for people to play the outnumbered side in the patch notes. As I mentioned, I don't think this will be enough, but they're clearly addressing the problem, and its good to see them do so this quickly.

For all we know, they have more complex fixes (such as Dogs of War) in testing, due in the very same patch that addresses the miserable NPC pathing. :)
There is a morale issue involved here.  If they do have some real fixes coming down the pipe, they need to shout it from the roof tops. Order is beginning to wonder why it should even bother to stick around when the only thing in their future is being zerged into oblivion by destro.  Mythic has no answer. This "there may a couple of servers who have a slight imbalance" attitude makes it even worse.  I might not abandon ship if it starts leaking.  But if the Capitian refuses to acknowledge the leak and take serious steps about it,  I don't need to wade through water to know the ship is going down.

That said even if RvR goes down in flames, I wil still play for a while as a Scenario Warrior.

EDIT: So is there no elder testing on these?  I have been periodically looking at the board but I see no calls for testing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:50:56 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 01:39:00 PM

Elder is not back yet. Personal tinfoil: they used the servers for production servers and are getting new ones for test. Mostly because it happened with daoc ;)
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 02:07:53 PM

Elder is not back yet. Personal tinfoil: they used the servers for production servers and are getting new ones for test. Mostly because it happened with daoc ;)

I would hope that they would make the test server, you know, publically accessible instead of keeping a beta test NDA running into perpetuity.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 02:47:35 PM

Wasn't daoc's test server  NDA ?

I know at least the message board for it was.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 03:04:55 PM

Patcher seems to be indicating that Ululant (or whatever the server Bat Country is on is called) is also going to get the +20% Order love.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 03:10:08 PM

Sweet! Uvula gets some Lovin'.

"Me am play gods"
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 05:54:31 PM

Order has better class but less attractive package. If they can just somehow change the attitude of the 'we're doomed' that the NPC is spouting everytime I quest then there may be more people rolling Order with 'We're gonna screw Destro up' opinion

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 07:31:53 PM

Sadly it doesn't look like the XP gain for servers is dynamic. Bechamel and Ungry (or something like that) have 7 day +20% Order gains assigned to them.

Mythic's plan appears to be to manually set reward levels per servers to deal with imbalances. awesome, for real

Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:42 AM

Mythic's plan appears to be to manually set reward levels per servers to deal with imbalances. awesome, for real

They did the same in DAoC.
If XP and RP - Bonus doesn't help a next step might be to give Damage-/Healoutput of order classes a %-boost.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch Version 1.0.2  
Jump to: