Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Altdorf is under attack 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Altdorf is under attack  (Read 7884 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: October 03, 2008, 01:37:21 AM

on Karak Eight Peaks (EU)

Linky

Our warband claimed the Dwarf fortress at around 7pm UK time and the second one in Reikland at around 10pm. Thanks to everyone involved (including the few brave Order players who turned up), and we hope there will be some awesome fighting in the streets of Altdorf

Ok, ignoring the pointless bitching in that thread, it's not my server and even if it was my server I think city attacks are a great idea.  Only problem is I know fuck all about them.

Somebody fill me in, is it an instanced thing or how does the server not crash if you have hundreds of players attacking/defending one city?
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:53:07 AM

People complaining about there are too many high level Destruction characters around.

Aren't those the same people who are going to get bored first?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 01:58:40 AM

Yeah, people are stupid.

Some screenshots

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/132674730e7362ce401e5e822b7a98df45c6ad74.png
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3589/umbongom159hv2.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/82526253afe2e09ead45d21eede8924619a46593.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/042d307be0e2fd7a48835ab9c6f85e0b0cde219a.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/54fee7e6794f9b4b83ebec247aac75f080fb6ead.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/beac3900144260ca78fbcb98f87cd713c0cab36a.png

Eurogamer story on it.

The entire process, beginning with the capture of the contested zones, began in the early evening and was over by the small hours of the morning. This despite the fact that Mythic boss Mark Jacobs told Eurogamer in a recent interview that completing a city siege in one night would be impossible:

"We've laid everything out in a manner that your side has to accomplish a lot, so it's going to take time. We've seen the other games out there where people can do things late at night while nobody else is on, but it doesn't work that way in WAR. It's impossible," he said.

"It should be weeks unless we really messed up."

Plenty of members of the WAR community are already crying foul and claiming that Mythic "messed up". There are reports - mostly from the Order side, naturally - that Destruction exploited a bug in the game's most recent patch update.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:41 AM

Wait, are the screenshots saying that Altdorf survived?

Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:19:49 AM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:08:32 AM

I guess it's an instance thing from the screenshots.  I also guess the final bit would be killing the king which I guess they weren't able to do.

That thread is great though, look at this wonderful post from an order player.

I just hope they go back to WoW soon as they clearly do not understand what WAR is about.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:09:09 AM

Grudge on our server (Catass Zerg Guild #79), tried taking The Inevitable City. That's to say Chaos Wastes -> Praag -> TEC. They couldn't.

Another guild, with less people, on another server took Altdorf. Apparently, they could just uhhhhh walk in or some shit. Basically, yea, Mythic messed up. Nothing to see here. I expect next time it'll be nearly impossible for destroy, blah blah. Etc. Etc.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:19:17 AM

If they weren't able to actually take the city, isn't Mythic still (kind of) holding up their end of the deal?

I wonder where they were getting their time frame from? Did they think it was going to take a while before the first city was taken? Or that it would take a while each time a city was taken? If the first, they have obviously underestimated the size of some peoples poopsocks.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 03:54:05 AM

....all I know is Mythic might consider adding more PVE grind just so you can actually scratch the gates or something.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:08:56 AM

You can blame it on Mythic for not making Order more attractive to players, but I blame it on the Elves myself

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:23:11 PM

Somoene commented on blog for that story mentioned that the destruction players were able to walk through the backdoor of the keeps.  Also some NPC's weren't attacking.

Yeah, so bugged.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 02:40:02 PM

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 03:41:02 PM

Linky

Quote from: James_EAMythic
Hi all,

We were well aware of the attempt, and I have to stress not to worry - capturing a city, let alone the campaign, is no small feat.

The group here was able to take advantage of some bugs that have since been fixed (literally within a day of the attempted siege.)

They were able to get in through the postern (back) door of the one of the fortresses which is ordinarily only accessible to the defending side therefore bypassing many of the defenses and guards they'd have to get through to achieve access to the Fortress' Lord.

In addition the timer to lock down two Fortresses in any two of the three pairings (which is how you unlock the city for assault) was set incorrectly at 36 hours instead of 12.

We have also recently increased the difficulty of Fortress Guards and Lords to create an even more challenging experience.

Couple these with a lack of defending players and it's clear how they were able to assault the city.

The city itself worked perfectly as designed and the attacking force was unable to defeat a single Public Quest within barring them from locking the city down and gaining access to the King.

Once many more players enter Tier 4 it will be a whole other ball game and with the changes we've already made you probably won't see this again until players gain the coordination and strength to attempt it...we can't wait for that to happen!

We're all excited for the first big Capture Attempt, but the road is not easy and capturing the city is only half the battle as you have to contend with the champions of the realms of the kings, blessed by the gods themselves, and the challenges they have waiting for you within their castles.

Thanks all, we hope this cleared up any confusion you might have :)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:46:11 PM

So, they exploited a bug and now it's going to be even harder for players to seige after today's changes. lol

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 06:59:38 PM

Good to see that Sieges were well tested.

Ooops we set the timers wrong?   Tinfoil Hat

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 08:43:42 PM

I'm not sure they are ever going to get the numbers to take a city that they think they will get, expect nerfs in 6months after no city is taken.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 10:54:57 PM

I'm not sure they are ever going to get the numbers to take a city that they think they will get, expect nerfs in 6months after no city is taken.

Gee, an over-reaction once the devs get their asses hung out to dry?

Never.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:36 AM

not really, basically devs want cities to be multi-guild affairs involving hundreds of players, they won't get that...ever.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 03:00:25 AM

not really, basically devs want cities to be multi-guild affairs involving hundreds of players, they won't get that...ever.

No, they'll get it once per server per city. Someone always has to be first.

After that though: it'll be hard to get enough people together to bother.

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:24 AM

Nah. It'll happen all the time. There's enough zerg guilds on each server to just obliterate the towns. No matter how hard they make it, it'll still be done. It's where the best loot is. Inevitable, really. Nice thing is, there's like an absolute shitton of top tier loot ^_^  Heart Heart Heart (as in, not just a certain bunch of pieces every damn soul wants)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:14:13 AM by schild »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 06:53:19 AM

All people have to do is show up to the fortress/city siege and it gets done.  There really isn't anything WOW-Raid organization wise needed to do it.  If you've taken down a Keep already, just imagine that + steroids + City PQs/Quests that you do in your own Capitol but in your enemy's instead.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 08:00:34 AM

Linky

Quote from: James_EAMythic
Hi all,

The city itself worked perfectly as designed and the attacking force was unable to defeat a single Public Quest within barring them from locking the city down and gaining access to the King.
Huh. So, am i reading it wrong or are the city sieges designed to make it impossible for the attackers to actually win, and that's even with the advantage of no player-controlled defenders?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit: some more oddities from the same thread

This is completely untrue and I can't believe you even think that. Destruction easily defeated the PQ several times killing the last general and his ogre bodyguards within minutes. The "points" bar moved to the first pip on their first win but on subsequent PQ wins it didn't move at all so eventually as it was 3am people started to log off as it was clear that either the city capture mechanic is broken or (I hope) it's an intended thing that you need xyz defenders online in order to prevent DAoC style alarm clock raids.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:02:10 AM by tmp »
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 09:42:26 AM

So, am i reading it wrong or are the city sieges designed to make it impossible for the attackers to actually win, and that's even with the advantage of no player-controlled defenders?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
If my experience with Altdorf is any guide, they couldn't find the correct PQ and were actually doing a useless one in the wrong area.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Altdorf is under attack  
Jump to: