Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755792 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: June 05, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

What the fuck is that?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: June 05, 2012, 06:35:02 PM

Wow, usually I'm a sucker for a trailer, but that was really bad.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #422 on: June 05, 2012, 07:07:26 PM

Where's the TES music theme?  That was bad, really poor branding.  It doesn't look like TES and it doesn't sound like TES. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #423 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:12 PM

You make it sound like it was really easy for Notch to do what he did. It isn't, and it isn't easy for anyone to make a good game, any more than people can just accidentally make good movies or write good novels.

It's far from easy. But if you're insistent upon repackaging the same shit, it's impossible. That's the point. Without risk, there is no innovation.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: June 05, 2012, 08:34:08 PM

It seems a logo interrupted some people pensively waiting around for something interesting to happen.

Damn trailer, now I am as excited as they were.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #425 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Free to play within 6 months.
Fucking worthless IP in terms of current MMO stock of fantasy stuff.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #426 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:18 AM

I wonder how Todd Howard feels about this.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:12 AM

I would venture to guess somewhere between "indifferent" and "annoyed" depending on how much he thinks TESO flopping would impact the overall TES brand.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:44:29 AM by koro »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #428 on: June 06, 2012, 02:06:59 AM

Even KOA Online would've been more attractive with the actiony combat than this 'safe and uncreative' take on the TES brand.
How did an IP go from single player sandbox with FPS view turn into a Third Person WoW-clone?
So much derp.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: June 06, 2012, 08:03:37 AM

Pretty decent article at mmorpg.com: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6457/You-Got-Elder-Scrolls-in-my-MMO.html/page/1

Here's an excerpt:
An example of PVE content we saw was really promising.  Matt's tank character charged a group of three mobs, one frost mage, a necromancer, and a rogue-like mob as well.  The mage raised a wall of ice to deflect incoming ranged attacks, and laid down a sheet of ice to immobilize Matt.  Meanwhile the rogue got in close to try and take down Matt's HP. Matt dropped him quickly, but the necromancer raised the corpse into a skeleton.  Meanwhile Matt's focus turned to the frost mage, as he used a jumping charge skill to leap over the wall of ice and take out the ranged damage dealer.  The whole time he was blocking attacks, dodging swings, and slamming his shield into enemies in real time.  It's halfway between TERA and GW2 in terms of pacing and "action", if I had to put it to a comparison. It's not as twitch-based as En Masse's game, but it's certainly not just another tab-target affair.

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with the E3 content yesterday.  The teaser trailer seems dumb.  I'm hoping it is a cut down version of something longer that makes a lot more sense.  The game graphics looked pretty good, though (aside from the incredible hulk orc), and it seems a lot of hands on people are describing the combat as action oriented - so, we'll see.  Maybe more will come out today.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:27:20 AM by blackwulf »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #430 on: June 06, 2012, 09:33:35 AM

You make it sound like it was really easy for Notch to do what he did. It isn't, and it isn't easy for anyone to make a good game, any more than people can just accidentally make good movies or write good novels.

Minecraft was not easy. It's also not something a publisher would EVER put money into, because it can't be categorized. But it succeeded BECAUSE it's so different and it's executed well.

As for that trailer? WTF?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: June 06, 2012, 10:04:31 AM

Pretty decent article at mmorpg.com: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6457/You-Got-Elder-Scrolls-in-my-MMO.html/page/1

Here's an excerpt:
An example of PVE content we saw was really promising.  Matt's tank character charged a group of three mobs, one frost mage, a necromancer, and a rogue-like mob as well.  The mage raised a wall of ice to deflect incoming ranged attacks, and laid down a sheet of ice to immobilize Matt.  Meanwhile the rogue got in close to try and take down Matt's HP. Matt dropped him quickly, but the necromancer raised the corpse into a skeleton.  Meanwhile Matt's focus turned to the frost mage, as he used a jumping charge skill to leap over the wall of ice and take out the ranged damage dealer.  The whole time he was blocking attacks, dodging swings, and slamming his shield into enemies in real time.  It's halfway between TERA and GW2 in terms of pacing and "action", if I had to put it to a comparison. It's not as twitch-based as En Masse's game, but it's certainly not just another tab-target affair.

That is an excerpt from a pretty decent article?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Sounds like a lame ass piece of journadvertisingism to me.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:15 AM

Bethesda have apparently released a teaser trailer for E3. It doesn't tell us anything about the game but it suggests their marketing is pretty bad as it's a terrible trailer. Tells you nothing about the game, no interesting visuals, no hint of an interesting storyline or setting. I did not feel at all teased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK57vfI97w

I mean, it might be a good game when it is finally released next year but they'd be better off holding back on the hype until they've got something interesting to show people even if it's just an enticing rendered sequence.

rogues look OP
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: June 06, 2012, 10:26:41 AM

Woops - I almost forgot my earlier oath to not be positive about this game until we've all seen a lot more of it!  I meant to just pass the article along, not *gasp* call it decent.  I hereby recind that compliment!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:39 AM

Yeah, why didn't you stick to your oath?

Seriously, if you put an excerpt and a link to an article that glorifies and narrates five minutes of gameplay of a MMO in the presence of its lead designer as if they were five minutes from the battle of Helm's Deep, and call it a decent article, you don't come out as passionate. You come out as obsessed. I feel bad for you, if this game sucks you will be so heartbroken.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #435 on: June 06, 2012, 11:26:23 AM

There's no IF. This project is doomed and I think the only people that recognize it in-house are the investors. They are just crossing their fingers they can get some of their costs back after release.

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: June 06, 2012, 11:37:03 AM

Yeah, why didn't you stick to your oath?

Seriously, if you put an excerpt and a link to an article that glorifies and narrates five minutes of gameplay of a MMO in the presence of its lead designer as if they were five minutes from the battle of Helm's Deep, and call it a decent article, you don't come out as passionate. You come out as obsessed. I feel bad for you, if this game sucks you will be so heartbroken.

Your concern is heartwarming; I shall meditate upon it.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #437 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:57 PM

Found this E3 presser/interview by chance.   More fly-throughs.  Gave up listening to the interview so I have no idea if anything meaningful or interesting got mentioned.  Sorry. 

http://youtu.be/k1R5R_9Huac
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: June 06, 2012, 12:36:23 PM

There's no IF. This project is doomed and I think the only people that recognize it in-house are the investors. They are just crossing their fingers they can get some of their costs back after release.

Nah. Its all inertia at this point. It can be harder to cancel a project then to just let it ooze along at times because of politics, or someone has a bug in their ear, or because it rained really hard last Tuesday. The investors may actually have no idea because someone internal is blowing smoke.

*shrug*

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #439 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:37 PM

This thing is being lambasted by the press, too.  It's not just us.  If the investors aren't keeping up on the news about the project and are ready to raise their concerns, then they deserve to lose their money when/if the whole things goes to crap.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #440 on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:40 PM

Here's an excerpt:
An example of PVE content we saw was really promising.  Matt's tank character charged a group of three mobs, one frost mage, a necromancer, and a rogue-like mob as well.  The mage raised a wall of ice to deflect incoming ranged attacks, and laid down a sheet of ice to immobilize Matt.  Meanwhile the rogue got in close to try and take down Matt's HP. Matt dropped him quickly, but the necromancer raised the corpse into a skeleton.  Meanwhile Matt's focus turned to the frost mage, as he used a jumping charge skill to leap over the wall of ice and take out the ranged damage dealer.  The whole time he was blocking attacks, dodging swings, and slamming his shield into enemies in real time.  It's halfway between TERA and GW2 in terms of pacing and "action", if I had to put it to a comparison. It's not as twitch-based as En Masse's game, but it's certainly not just another tab-target affair.

" journadvertisingism" ? by mmorpg.com? Unbelievable :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #441 on: June 06, 2012, 02:46:10 PM

Found this E3 presser/interview by chance.   More fly-throughs.  Gave up listening to the interview so I have no idea if anything meaningful or interesting got mentioned.  Sorry. 

http://youtu.be/k1R5R_9Huac

Fuck's sake. That looks better than SWTOR (which I still think looks like shit) and worse than Skyrim. Too bad for them, since the people who would want to play this game all expect it to look like... you know, Skyrim.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #442 on: June 06, 2012, 02:46:51 PM

This thing is being lambasted by the press, too.  It's not just us.  If the investors aren't keeping up on the news about the project and are ready to raise their concerns, then they deserve to lose their money when/if the whole things goes to crap.

Most likely it's too late to pull their money. They've probably been told this as well. It's a sunk cost.

There's two ways to go with something like this. I believe they will salvage some dignity if they release it as a F2P product with some flashy microtrans system, and they tone down the hype. If they up the hype and go whole hog after the box cost + sub? It'll put SWTOR to absolute shame.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #443 on: June 06, 2012, 06:09:28 PM

You make it sound like it was really easy for Notch to do what he did.

He copied Infiniminer and Dwarven Fortress.  awesome, for real

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:51 AM

Nah. Its all inertia at this point. It can be harder to cancel a project then to just let it ooze along at times because of politics, or someone has a bug in their ear, or because it rained really hard last Tuesday. The investors may actually have no idea because someone internal is blowing smoke.

Well, as an investor you can't just say 'ohh, that looks like crap, I'm out' and get all of your money back for free at any time. Even if you have the authority to cancel the project (which is not always the case), you'd still loose what's already been spent on the project. Letting the project go on to completion so that it can earn some money is not always a 'rained really hard' decision; a lot of 'failed' games fell below expectations but at least let the investors get money back in the end, but cancelling means effectively setting the cash already spent on fire.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #445 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:55 AM

The last video of an actual world didn't LOOK particularly bad, but I'm still highly skeptical as to how the game mechanics'll actually play out. Talking about how ~awesome~ it'll be is one thing, actually showing how it'll play in an actual play session is quite another.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #446 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:24 AM

Well, as an investor you can't just say 'ohh, that looks like crap, I'm out' and get all of your money back for free at any time. Even if you have the authority to cancel the project (which is not always the case), you'd still loose what's already been spent on the project. Letting the project go on to completion so that it can earn some money is not always a 'rained really hard' decision; a lot of 'failed' games fell below expectations but at least let the investors get money back in the end, but cancelling means effectively setting the cash already spent on fire.

Setting the cash on fire is often better. Savings between now and a 2013 release, I can almost guarantee you it's going to cost them less than any return they will get upon completion less the variable costs of operation.

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

Savings between now and a 2013 release,

Oh, I didn't pay that much attention to details, I thought it was coming out sometime this year. It was more a general comment on investors trying to pull out than specific to ESO
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:24 AM

You're right. The current investment capitol is gone.

That's no reason to give them *more*.

This goes well beyond games. The hallmark of good project management is to know when something has gone off the rails *And Do Something About It*. I can't think of many instances of when 'just push through and release it' had good results, and I can think of *lots* of instances when this destroyed the company's reputation (at a minimum. More often than not the whole house folds) let alone their ability to contract new work in the future.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:19 AM

Does this still have hot-bar combat?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:02 PM

Can you be more specific or name a game that doesn't have hot bar combat?

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:28 PM

If you go to mmorpg.com for anything other than press releases or advertisements, you will always be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if most of their reviews were written by publisher PR departments.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:51 PM

No. It'll be hot-gesture combat. You waggle your fingers into the Kinect or camera enabled Smart TV. The most convincing and closest to the pre-memorized somatic routine wins.  A giant panda graphic will appear, crushing your opponent in testament to your awesomeness.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: June 07, 2012, 04:58:51 PM

I don't know, the gaming press seems pretty warm on the game to me

http://www.gamesradar.com/elder-scrolls-online-preview-just-another-mmo/
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: June 07, 2012, 05:28:31 PM

Can you be more specific or name a game that doesn't have hot bar combat?

SKYRIM

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: