Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 760740 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3535 on: January 21, 2015, 09:26:20 AM

Looks like a good F2P model, especially for new players that don't particularly care about bonus xp and crafting gains, but just want to level a couple characters to the cap. No lame inventory/chat/character slots limitations, apparently.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3536 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:06 AM

Now the question will become, how pay-walled will this game be?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3537 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:04 AM

Now the question will become, how pay-walled will this game be?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3538 on: January 21, 2015, 09:53:32 AM

were any date guesses set or
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3539 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:04 AM

They stopped selling 6 month subs in December, and pulled from stores shortly thereafter, so we all knew it would be in less than 6 months. Don't think we started going into specific dates, though.

Looks like a reasonable monetization approach too; experience gain, cosmetics, and actual content.

Looking forward to this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3540 on: January 21, 2015, 02:26:34 PM

I look forward to playing again myself. I liked the game but didn't enjoy the unfinished feel of it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3541 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:30 PM

You can play free if you want in March.  If you still want to sub, you get what ever their cash shop money is called every time you sub.  It's like 1500 for 1 month, 4500 for 3 months... that sort of thing.  I think it'll be stuff like mounts and pets and clothing.  They claim there won't be items sold for real money that would put freebie players at a disadvantage.  In June they'll have the Mac stuff and console stuff launched.  I don't know what that will be like but I can't afford to update my consoles.  A shame, really, because there are things in this game, like the quickslots that I don't even use much because it's a pain.  I think that sort of stuff would work much better on a console.  I think I'll sub one more month just to see if it's better.  The new things they're adding should really improve it.  If enough people from here start playing we should join a guild together.  I miss playing with you guys.  You make me laugh.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3542 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:19 PM

At this point, slight variations on things that have been worn out for at least a decade just isn't going to cut it.

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3543 on: January 21, 2015, 05:50:13 PM

I still think the game will go F2P by March, and have shut down or completely retooled before the end of 2015. Ingmar and I have a steam game riding on this.

I'm feeling confident. Don't think they shut down by Jan 2016, F2P will give them a decent boost, even if it is a dead cat bounce. Unless they blow it on the cash model of course.

Well one of you won a steam game it seems.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3544 on: January 21, 2015, 05:57:14 PM

Back when I was still playing there were addons that made quickslots suck a little less.  Have they added that new solo zone or is everything in the endgame still group only?

Honestly the biggest thing that upsets me is Signe saying there are still bugs in the quest lines.  That is completely insane, they have had enough time to fix that crap by now.  Of the thousand or so quest lines in the game an acceptable rate of bugs at this point would be five.  Having to fix things in three places for PC, PS4 and XboxOne is only going to slow them down.  Maybe that console launch will have all the bugfixes that should have been done months ago...

I still think the game will go F2P by March, and have shut down or completely retooled before the end of 2015. Ingmar and I have a steam game riding on this.

I'm feeling confident. Don't think they shut down by Jan 2016, F2P will give them a decent boost, even if it is a dead cat bounce. Unless they blow it on the cash model of course.

For the love of spite whoever loses needs to buy the other ESO as the steam game.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3545 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:32 PM

Standalone TES games are typically on a five-year ship cycle.  This positions the online game to create a tie-in to the next standalone game.  I don't expect their systems to integrate, but their marketing and online content sure will. 
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3546 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:54 PM

Their next game should be fallout so this whole thing shouldn't have any relevance.  If it isn't fallout, that would suck.  I want fallout.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3547 on: January 21, 2015, 09:14:55 PM

ESO is deliberately set thousands of years before the single-player games so direct continuity is not really a concern.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3548 on: January 21, 2015, 09:15:15 PM

Their next game should be fallout so this whole thing shouldn't have any relevance.  If it isn't fallout, that would suck.  I want fallout.

Me, too.  So much.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3549 on: January 21, 2015, 11:23:01 PM

Not yet. The bet is about whether the game folds entirely, and we'll see in a year who wins.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3550 on: January 22, 2015, 07:11:12 AM

I have an unused retail key, if I activate this now does it qualify me for anything over free players or should I wait until free to play launches? (could I even use it then?)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3551 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:38 AM

You still have to buy the game itself, there is just a no sub option, so you wouldn't have to buy the game.  They used to have some way to transfer your PC account to console, that was time limited I think.  So maybe if you activate it now you might still be able to swap it to a console version for free (if you wanted to do that).  You'd have to look into it to make sure.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3552 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:35 AM

Not yet. The bet is about whether the game folds entirely, and we'll see in a year who wins.

We all knew the game would go F2P, that would have been a silly bet. The idea was if the game totally shit the bed. The fact it went F2P earlier than I thought it would is a good thing for my bet. But after about August we'll have a decent idea if it's going under.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3553 on: January 22, 2015, 08:35:27 AM

Going Buy-to-Play might give it enough legs to last the year.  Going f2p definitely would have.  We'll see if it's enough of a bump, but I doubt cutting the sub alone is enough to ensure its long-term prospects.

I still think it's a better model, but you still need a decent game since that initial cost acts as a barrier.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3554 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:58 AM

My hope is that they screw up the release and make the cash shop so ridiculous it confuses everybody.

I'd say it's still 50-50 if it lasts the year if the console influx of cash bombs out.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3555 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:54 AM

They plan to relaunch the game with the console release, that's why all the PC SKUs were pulled from shelves. They also revamped the new player experience (again).

ESO could do quite well as a B2P game. Bioware turned SWTOR around and they're incompetent tools, the Zenimax Online guys seem (slightly) more clueful. But of course that depends on implementation, and we just don't know enough yet.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3556 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:19 AM

ESO is deliberately set thousands of years before the single-player games so direct continuity is not really a concern.

I must have missed that when I was playing the beta... makes me wonder what happened in all that time to make the good looking denizens of TESO into the Gordon Ramsay-esque troglodytes of Skyrim...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3557 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

They plan to relaunch the game with the console release, that's why all the PC SKUs were pulled from shelves. They also revamped the new player experience (again).

A total relaunch with the console release would win me the bet if they closed all the servers down for an extended time. So I'm fine with that.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3558 on: January 22, 2015, 07:45:57 PM

[...] makes me wonder what happened in all that time to make the good looking denizens of TESO into the Gordon Ramsay-esque troglodytes of Skyrim...

Nothing happened.  You're a prisoner in every game; the guards punch you in the face just before the initial fade from black, thereby ruining your vision, so you just see the world at whatever resolution and with whatever faces each game has.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3559 on: March 17, 2015, 12:32:02 PM

The Elder Scrolls Online is now The Elder Scrolls Online: Trammel Tamriel Unlimited and is now using the Guild Wars model of free to play after you buy a box (i.e. no more subscriptions).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3560 on: March 17, 2015, 01:17:00 PM

The Elder Scrolls Online is now The Elder Scrolls Online: Trammel Tamriel Unlimited and is now using the Guild Wars model of free to play after you buy a box (i.e. no more subscriptions).

I believe the term is Buy To Play (BTP).

Honestly, I think it is the best compromise with the FTP crowd. Buying the box encourages at least a little investment into the game, where as FTP just brings the browsers, griefers and gold farmers and such to generate infinite troll accounts..

I imagine you can still have a subscription if you want to?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3561 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:47 PM

I'd rather a 3-7 day free trial to try it out before I actually throw money at the box cost. Going to be waiting some more.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3562 on: March 17, 2015, 02:00:02 PM

I believe the term is Buy To Play (BTP).

Honestly, I think it is the best compromise with the FTP crowd. Buying the box encourages at least a little investment into the game, where as FTP just brings the browsers, griefers and gold farmers and such to generate infinite troll accounts..

I imagine you can still have a subscription if you want to?
Yes. There's an ESO Plus membership you can purchase. So I should've said no more mandatory subscriptions.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3563 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:50 PM

Been playing it the past few weeks in anticipation of this.  For some reason it's grabbed me better this time than my attempts in beta.  (I suppose way better since those ended with me quitting in the tutorial and two minutes after landing on the starting isle.)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3564 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:40 PM

It was good before and I am sure it's even better now after all the patching and fixing and adding (stuff, including the Justice System). It's definitely worth a reinstall if you had bought it before.

Is it worth getting a box now? Depends on where you stand to MMORPGs (Not Skyrim) these days. If you can still stomach the formula, compared to all the traditional ones out there this is definitely good.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3565 on: March 18, 2015, 02:16:31 PM

Hmm. I remember having some fun with this game near launch (completed the main quest + first set of maps, then quit). I had four gripes that kept me from subbing:
  • Greedy cash shop for a game with a monthly sub (I guess this is resolved now)
  • Lots and lots of bugs (I suppose this one got better too)
  • Responsiveness and latency problems, especially when it came to blocking / getting the most out of strong attacks; exacerbated by playing on a US server from EU
  • Obnoxious inventory issues (and no, I wasn't a hoarder)

For those who played recently: has the game improved in any of these areas, and if so, how? I'm especially curious about latency and combat responsiveness.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:27:29 PM by Zetor »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3566 on: March 18, 2015, 05:19:34 PM

Latency is fine for me, but I'm in Texas, so not far from where ever the NA servers are located.

Inventory is a problem, but I am a hoarder.  Would probably be okay, but I'm saving metal, wood, cloth, leather, runes, and reagents.  The did revamp Provisioning so there are fewer ingredients, but there still seem to be a ton.

Having a 1 month sub from just starting the game I got 2000 ESObux.  I could buy a pet or two with that.  There wasn't much else in the shop that interested me, but there also wasn't anything that wasn't ignorable either.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #3567 on: March 18, 2015, 05:51:49 PM

Are combat animations any better than they were at release?  I think my biggest problem in terms of game play was that combat didn't feel engaging at all.

Over and out.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3568 on: March 19, 2015, 02:34:31 AM

TESO combat isn't that great coming from TERA, but is otherwise more than OK and much better than the rest of the competitors. To me the simple fact that you click the left mouse button and your weapon actually swings is enough to make the combat more compelling than pretty much every other MMORPG out there that doesn't use the same system. But to each their own and about that, I am curious, the combat of what MMO do you consider engaging these days?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3569 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53:14 AM

They are better, yes.  Nothing to write home about, but I didn't feel like I had to force myself through the tutorial, either.

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: