Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624408 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #840 on: May 15, 2011, 12:43:44 AM

The basic storyline made sense and that's always been good enough for me. Even "making sense" means in sense in the context of Doctor Who, which has never been big on consistency. Most fans of the show will forgive a lot if an episode has a good monster and some jokes and a spooky atmosphere.

Oh, I know, it's NOT DOCTOR WHO in some imaginary bullshit version you guys have in your minds where the Doctor is a hard SF character who used to be a bit character in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books.

I'll be back when I have more pics of Amy to post

name drop time, when i was in Sacramento, my office was across the hall from Lisa,  Kim's wife.  One of the most gentle, kind people I have ever known.

So:   Neil,   maybe it was a good story on paper, but so much happened, or rather could have happened that it felt like it was a two parter that got edited down to one.   I did love the nod to the 70's repeating corridor bit though.

realization time: I have again and again mentioned "Vincent and the Doctor" as the landmark for what this era of Who could be, just rewatched it and realized that matt and karen had very little to do with what made that so amazing.   My god, hire Vincent and any of his friends who happen to be about ASAP plz.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: May 15, 2011, 03:33:08 AM

Apparently it wasn;t so much "ran out of time" as "ran out of budget"  - it wasn't going to be endless corridors but a bunch of TARDIS rooms in a variety of styles (including the Zero Room) and the 'old' console room was going to be one of the old ones, rebuilt from scratch. Oh, and the Ood was going to be a random_other_new_alien but they dragged the ood-suit out of storage instead, because it was cheaper.

Random aside: Supposedly, Neil Gaiman played the FASA Doctor Who RPG back in the day. His character's name? The Corsair.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: May 15, 2011, 08:42:54 AM

Apparently it wasn;t so much "ran out of time" as "ran out of budget"  - it wasn't going to be endless corridors but a bunch of TARDIS rooms in a variety of styles (including the Zero Room) and the 'old' console room was going to be one of the old ones, rebuilt from scratch. Oh, and the Ood was going to be a random_other_new_alien but they dragged the ood-suit out of storage instead, because it was cheaper.

I enjoyed the episode but now am sad to read what could have been. Thanks for that.  Heartbreak
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:06 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I loved seeing the TARDIS personified. She was pretty much what I'd expect. Also great fun to see her relationship with the Doctor through her eyes.

A lot of people try to make "the ship" in any series as "its own character", and most fail. It's a neat kind of sentiment, but you really have to work to make it come out. And working too hard at it just makes it dumb. (In this case, I don't think Doctor Who ever really makes the TARDIS its own character. I never watched much before Eccleston though.)

I totally got the feeling there were supposed to be reconstructed sets here. I got that feeling so much, that I just assumed they did all that off-camera.

Overall, I thought it started wordy and novel-y, but once it got going, it was pretty solid. That one line? Pretty damn thin.
Yawn.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: May 16, 2011, 04:44:46 AM

There's tons of references scattered through the whole series to the Tardis as alive, as organic tech--Jon Pertwee, the third Doctor, said as much at one point. (And calls it "old girl" several times.)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: May 16, 2011, 05:27:00 AM

An ok episode with actually quite a good idea but the execution was a little flat for me.  I think Gaiman really went to his comfort zone, so I wasn't really blown away.

I have to recognise some really good performances tho.  All 4 main cast were excellent and played it really powerfully.

Also, you kind of have to roll your eyes a little bit at building a TARDIS so very easily, but I've often been surprised by the things they manage on Scrapyard Challenge, so maybe I should shut my yap.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:31 AM

It definitely felt squashed, either in terms of time or budget generally, felt like there was space for more to happen and stuff like the 'Old Tardis rooms' chase would have made this a pretty great episode. It was entertaining though, maybe not one I'd tell anyone to watch but I enjoyed it.

Oh God just realised this was my assessment of most of Gaiman's novels as well, not sure if that's his fault in this case though.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #847 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:58 PM

That was the kind of episode I expect out of Doctor Who. It was about THE DOCTOR, not his companions, and for once, it was contingent on Amy doing something to enable the Doctor to do what he does. Best episode so far this season. I was really hoping to see the old Baker era control room show up, but can see where the budget wouldn't allow it. I also think it could have been a better two-parter than some of the stories they've devoted two parts to needlessly.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: May 18, 2011, 03:01:06 PM

That was the kind of episode I expect out of Doctor Who. It was about THE DOCTOR, not his companions, and for once, it was contingent on Amy doing something to enable the Doctor to do what he does.

Hells Yes.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: May 22, 2011, 06:30:52 AM

I was in Portugal when the Gaiman episode aired, so I've only just now caught up with it.

One of the best, imo. Yes, perhaps it could have been made into a two parter, not just because I think they could have explored more areas of the story (not to mention the TARDIS) but also because our time with Idris/'Sexy' was so brief. Suranne Jones had a hell of a part to live up to and I think she nailed it - in fact, and maybe this ties in with what Ironwood said about Gaiman being in his comfort zone - Idris/'Sexy' comes across as something very similar to one of the Endless of the Sandman universe - quite Delerium-esque. Matt Smith's 'don't know if my heart is broken...' face as she dissipated was fantastic, as was the whole depiction of their sadly short anthropomorphic relationship.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: May 22, 2011, 02:38:39 PM

I thought "The Rebel Flesh" was ok. Good conceptually, but the pacing and direction were a muddle in much of the episode.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:51 PM

I almost changed the channel halfway through "Rebel Flesh", due to boredom. But the last time I did that was during last season's episode with the evolved dinosaurs in the center of the earth, and missed out on the big story arc bomb at the end. So I stuck through this one, and no such bomb.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: May 22, 2011, 10:38:24 PM

I almost changed the channel halfway through "Rebel Flesh", due to boredom. But the last time I did that was during last season's episode with the evolved dinosaurs in the center of the earth, and missed out on the big story arc bomb at the end. So I stuck through this one, and no such bomb.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I expected everyone
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:40:07 PM by Raguel »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: May 23, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

I liked the first half of the ganger story. It seemed like a good old-fashioned Doctor Who story.

One thing I'm not sure on (and this makes the whole pregnancy thing a bit confusing)

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: May 23, 2011, 03:26:02 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: May 23, 2011, 04:39:13 AM

Sigh.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #856 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:56 AM

Yeah, ^ that ^.

This was an ok episode, but it felt a lot like a rehash of the evolved dinosaurs living on earth already episode from last season. "We'll all get along!" "NO WE WON'T" *SHOTS FIRED* "Why did you do that?" "Because I'm a human and we are thick and stupid."

Let's hope having a synthflesh Time Lord running around isn't fuckstupid.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:25 PM

So...you're saying it's like a classic Dr Who episode?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: May 25, 2011, 01:07:15 AM

I'd just like to clarify that I was sighing about the spoiler.  I can't read without anal leakage.

I don't judge two parters until they're over.  We'll see what they do to the Doctor copy;  though I will say that the precedent is already there many times so they don't have a lot of leeway to be totally clownshoes.  I suspect that won't stop them.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:57 AM

I'd just like to clarify that I was sighing about the spoiler.  I can't read without anal leakage.
why so serious?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #860 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:46 AM

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:06 AM

We could play this game forever.  I've found it best to wait until the retardery unleashes itself.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #862 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:28 AM

Nothing we come up with could be quite as stupid, insulting, and nonsensical as what they've come up with. I have faith in this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: May 26, 2011, 10:33:48 AM

Yes, that's precisely my point.  It started with TinkerDoctor Vs The Master and, frankly, the arcs have been going downhill since, if that's possible to imagine.

Just leave arcs alone for a while, God, please.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: May 26, 2011, 02:26:32 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: May 28, 2011, 11:25:20 AM

Oh God, Just Please Stop.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: May 29, 2011, 02:38:08 AM

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: May 29, 2011, 07:47:13 AM

<David Tennant Doctor's Voice> "Helllo, I'm the Doctor!"
<Matt Smith Flesh Doctor's Voice> "NO LET IT GO, WE'VE MOVED ON!"

Heart

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #868 on: May 29, 2011, 12:08:21 PM

Was there a new episode in the UK last night? Because we got a double feature of the Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon on BBC America.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: May 29, 2011, 02:14:46 PM

The US episode got pushed a week because of Memorial Day.  There was a new one in the UK.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: May 30, 2011, 01:11:09 AM

I think you call it a 'Stay of Execution' in America.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: June 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

The latest episode, A Good Man Goes to War, was insane but fun. The next episode is called "Let's Kill Hitler", apparently.

If Mr Moffat is reading this, I just want to point out that he is a doctor of science, not medicine. He's called The Doctor because he has a doctorate, not because he heals people.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:53 AM

If Mr Moffat is reading this, I make no apologies for calling him a talentless cunt and would, in fact, wish his children dead of some wasting disease.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:21 PM

ACK! and not in a good way

That is all.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: June 04, 2011, 02:39:28 PM

I never knew hatred was something you could taste in the testicles.  Before that, at least. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: