Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 628681 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:32 PM

That's all, carry on
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:36 PM

Ok, that wasn't all that bad.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: May 07, 2011, 07:14:40 PM

Silly, fun and altogether fluffy, with plenty of Karen Gillan stealing the show.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #808 on: May 07, 2011, 10:43:30 PM

Cute. I'm hoping that dreadful intro is only on the American showings though. The whole, "I'm Amy and this magical man in a blue box came and changed my life" thing rankles mightily.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: May 07, 2011, 11:28:25 PM

Eh ?

We certainly didn't get that.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:18 AM

It's strictly for the Americans. The BBC obviously thinks Americans are stupid and need some extra hand-holding in order to understand the show.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:50 AM

It's Harsh, but Fair.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: May 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM

Reminds me of the dumbed down Pratchett Covers for the American market. I see a trend here.

On topic, this episode, I didn't hate it.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:48 AM

Enjoyed it as a simple and fun episode. Then I started thinking more about the Silence shit and total lack of sense and appreciated this infinitely more in comparison. Also I'm now compelled to list things that annoyed me about the opening 2 parter (spoilered for people who are fed up with moaning about it and, well, for spoilers):

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: May 08, 2011, 11:23:51 AM

Only halfway through the pirates episode, but beforehand was the season opener, and I just had this thought.

Also whenever I type "spoiler" I can hear River Song saying it in my head.  Ohhhhh, I see. Ugh.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: May 08, 2011, 11:26:51 AM

Couple of things :  

1 - This arc ain't done yet.  Silence ain't done yet.  Alas.  Not going to go into my thoughts because lolmoffat, but the hatches in Amys mind are part of it.
2 - The whole story makes no sense.  He's become typecast for stories that don't make any sense.  Girl in the fireplace and Blink were fucking awesome episodes, but THINK about them :  They both have the 'Why ?' factor.  Great stories but, really....
3 - The Doctor actually shot someone with his screwdriver.  Seriously.  I've rewatched it now and he SHOOTS AN ALIEN WITH HIS SCREWDRIVER.  Fucking Clownshoes. (So, not helping the Silence.  Killing 'em.)

I agree the method of sorting it was cool, but again I have doubts about how in character it was.

But yeah, Pirates one was refreshing.  Both for the lighthearted and easygoing story and for the fact that it was a rehash of two Dr Who stories done before, both of which I loved.

Also.  Pirates.  You know.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:16 AM

Well, after watching the first two episodes again, things made a little more sense. There was just a ton of shit going on in those first two episodes that I think I suffered a little mental overload. And now having watched the pirates episode, I'm kind of happy to see another little reoccurring element that apparently only deals with Amy (the woman in the walls). This alone will keep me watching just to see what the hell that's all about.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: May 10, 2011, 11:32:09 AM

I thought it was a traditional silly Doctor Who story which was rather good. The pirate captain was sensible casting. Having a heavyweight actor who's willing to take it seriously makes the silly aspects even more fun. However, I thought they should have saved Lily Cole for an episode which had aliens in it, because frankly she looks like an alien anyway.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #818 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:37 AM

It's strictly for the Americans. The BBC obviously thinks Americans are stupid and need some extra hand-holding in order to understand the show.

They added that piece of shit for the American version? That irks the shit out of me. That's Amy intro is one of the reasons I said they should just call it the New Adventures of Amelia Pond.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: May 10, 2011, 12:52:47 PM

Is this what the Americans see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-HYqcTXev0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:55:05 PM by palmer_eldritch »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #820 on: May 10, 2011, 12:57:01 PM

Yep, that's it. Annoys the piss out of me.

The pirate episode was a decent enough episode. It didn't require mental gymnastics to reconcile and was well-acted.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: May 10, 2011, 02:14:39 PM

I liked it well enough. I find it hilarious that those of you whose vaginas are forever sandy about plot holes seemed to have liked it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #822 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:09 PM

On the list of plot-holey Dr. Who episodes, it's pretty low - but the list has gotten quite long.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: May 10, 2011, 03:32:15 PM

Apart from the Amazing Disappearing Pirate, you mean?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:15 PM

The basic storyline made sense and that's always been good enough for me. Even "making sense" means in sense in the context of Doctor Who, which has never been big on consistency. Most fans of the show will forgive a lot if an episode has a good monster and some jokes and a spooky atmosphere.

When episodes are bad it's not because there's some small plot hole or unanswered question, it's because the basic storyline was nonsensical or just awful. It really makes no difference to this story what happened to the missing pirate, even if it would have been interesting to know, but when a story climaxes with the Doctor returning from the void because if you wish hard enough then wishes can come true! then it's impossible to ignore.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: May 10, 2011, 05:16:21 PM

You know, "coming back if you wish hard enough" made more story sense and was developed better than "the disappearing pirate". The latter, unless Moffat has a huge plan for 'time being rewritten' to be unveiled later, is just a script lapse, not that big a deal unless you're a sand-vagine. But you know, coming back from wishing? It was practically the central theme of that entire season. You may not like it, fine, but what the fuck, it's like complaining that there's a scene in "Peter Pan" where it turns out you can save fairies from death by believing in them hard enough. (or a protagonist who never grows up). Oh, I know, it's NOT DOCTOR WHO in some imaginary bullshit version you guys have in your minds where the Doctor is a hard SF character who used to be a bit character in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books. See, I remember the character who always had a magic screwdriver and survived death a zillion times and tricked rubber-suited aliens with rubbish tricks and technobabble gimmicks. All of which I've always enjoyed, except for maybe in the worst depths of the John Nathan-Turner years.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: May 11, 2011, 12:05:49 AM

In terms of Who gaffes, the amazing disappearing pirate doesn't even raise an eyebrow. Was he skulking in corner behind the water barrel? Was he the one pirate climbing up into the rigging in the storm scene (probably not, but couldn't be bothered to rewind)? I tell myself he likely did his job and kept out of the camera view or he was taken by the Holodoc offscreen for having the wound the boy gave him.

Both cases don't change the way the episode works.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: May 11, 2011, 01:20:00 AM

Hmmm.  Ok.  I can see WHY they do that for American audiences if you remember that A - It's a Kids Show and B - Americans haven't really 'grown up' with it.   I can see how it would annoy the shit out of you every week though.

As to Khaldun :  Psycho.

why so serious?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:10 AM

The basic storyline made sense and that's always been good enough for me. Even "making sense" means in sense in the context of Doctor Who, which has never been big on consistency. Most fans of the show will forgive a lot if an episode has a good monster and some jokes and a spooky atmosphere.

Oh, I know, it's NOT DOCTOR WHO in some imaginary bullshit version you guys have in your minds where the Doctor is a hard SF character who used to be a bit character in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars books.

I'll be back when I have more pics of Amy to post
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: May 11, 2011, 02:32:33 AM

Good Man.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #830 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:50 AM

Ok I watched the first episode of series 6 but wasn't impressed, but just watched the first episode of series 5 it was good, Amy isn't bad looking so I'll see how far through 5 I get.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #831 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:34 AM

Hmmm.  Ok.  I can see WHY they do that for American audiences if you remember that A - It's a Kids Show and B - Americans haven't really 'grown up' with it. 

Actually, a lot of the current audience DID grow up with Doctor Who. But yeah, the BBC America audience might not have. Still don't think it's at all needed, but it appears BBC America is going balls deep on trying to promote the show to anyone who might remotely watch.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #832 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:22 AM

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:58 AM

All my +rep to Sky.  Heart
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: May 11, 2011, 03:04:00 PM

You win the thread.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: May 11, 2011, 11:55:17 PM

One of those was posted a while back.  Second one is new though.

Bet Matt took a couple of good pics.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:45 AM

steven_moffat 8:56am via Web

I've peaked! I've had a tweet that just says "Fuck off!" Clearly I win Twitter.

I'm just amazed it took this long.

why so serious?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:05 PM

Why, when did you post it?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #838 on: May 14, 2011, 08:23:06 AM

That was me.

And yes, i grew up with the bloody Doctor, I don't need Amy's goddamn intro.

"he's a time lord"

"it doesn't mean he knows what he's doing"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:11:22 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: May 14, 2011, 07:41:02 PM

Ok, come on, you guys have to liked that one. I thought it was pretty damn great.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:30:53 AM by Khaldun »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: