Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624363 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #490 on: May 30, 2010, 12:42:13 PM

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:10 PM

I really enjoyed the latest one. A great performance from the actror playing van Gogh, a moving story and Bill Nighy. The monster wasn't very interesting really, and seemed very much like something put into the story simply to make the Doctor go back to see van Gogh (which it obviously was, but it shouldn't feel that way). But it didn't really matter. Overall it was quite something for a children's adventure serial.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:44 PM

Best episode of the season.  The Van Gogh actor was fantastic. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #493 on: June 05, 2010, 09:57:05 PM

homerun

as mentioned the monster felt like an afterthought.. hell I would have been happy with no monster and just more of Vincent.   I would put this episode right up there with the very best of nu who.

And yet again I find myself impressed with Matt Smith, I really hope he sticks around for a few seasons.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #494 on: June 06, 2010, 12:00:54 AM

Saw tonight's epsiode, "Amy's Choice." The one with the Dream Lord.

I think part of my problem with the season is I like both the new Doctor and Amy Pond but the stories aren't just badly written. It's as if they are written with the intent to not only be non-Doctor stories (they really are all about Amy as opposed to how the Doctor solves problems), but they seem to actively want to point out how ridiculous the concept of the Doctor is. It's almost as if the writers don't really like the Doctor, or are more interested in deconstructing the Doctor than making a good story about the Doctor.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:39 PM

I actually liked "Amy's Choice". I agree the plotting of episodes is not always great, though I think the dialogue has often been sharp and engaging. But this one was interesting, there was some chewy stuff going on in the background, and the geek in me is rolling the episode around in my head with some interest in the Dream Lord (really well played) and his implications.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: June 06, 2010, 10:44:09 PM

Best episode of the season.  The Van Gogh actor was fantastic. 

It's Tony Curran... He was Marcus in the second Underworld movie.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: June 07, 2010, 07:16:56 AM

I would never consider myself a fan of Van Gogh - pretty much my least favourite painter of my least favourite school of painting, but between Curtis' writing and the phenomenal portrayal of the man himself by Tony Curran; I don't think Dr Who has ever hit me so emotionally hard, at least not since The Girl in the Fireplace. The monster was basically a silly bit of juxtaposition to bring the Doctor and Amy to that point in time, but as throwaway as it was (its death certainly lacking the pathos inspired by Van Gogh's trip to discover the appreciation he never felt in his own lifetime) it was at least fun, in an omg invisible mutant chicken way. I liked the little quips about Impressionism lacking any kind of useful accuracy tempered with the really rather beautiful digital melding of the night sky into a living version of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Also, Fuck Yeah Bill Nighy.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #498 on: June 07, 2010, 08:26:32 AM

It was exactly what a "filler" episode should be - completely entertaining. I really enjoyed the portrayal of Van Gogh, almost as much as I disliked Churchil in his episode.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: June 07, 2010, 08:35:04 AM

Better filler episode than any of the arc ones.

Bow Ties are Cool.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: June 07, 2010, 09:30:28 AM

Yeah so far I've been enjoying the later episodes more than the early ones and am getting over my initial disappointment. This one was really good and didn't really need any big stuff going on. Importantly it was an episode about time travel not just being attacked by monsters, those episodes work well but unless they do a really good job on the monsters they're not usually my favourites.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #501 on: June 08, 2010, 08:51:42 PM

Bow ties ar NOT fucking cool.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #502 on: June 09, 2010, 09:26:23 AM

I think all ties are not very cool.  Bow ties are just not cool in a more frou frou way.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: June 12, 2010, 11:43:59 AM

That was good.

Can't fault that.

Pandorica looks interesting at least.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: June 12, 2010, 01:01:06 PM

Any episode which has James Corden headbutted repeatedly can't be all bad.  awesome, for real

E: Nice preview, too, if a smidge too heavy-handed. Have a slightly less blatant trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9CBxPj_-U
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:07:41 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: June 12, 2010, 04:24:05 PM

Waaaay too RTDish in my opinion, but at least there wasn't any gay subtext shoehorned in for no discernable reason. Best remembered for some very witty lines and gloriously erratic behaviour from the Doctor and of course, a nice bit of physical violence visited upon the fat head of James Cordon. As a change of pace from the old routine, it was welcome, but the next episode looks much more like it.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: June 12, 2010, 06:24:14 PM

We're only up to the drilling episode in the States, so...do they ever get rid of Roy??? Ugh. I see no need for him to be there and he's actually making Amy Pond look unattractive.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: June 13, 2010, 02:50:38 AM

We're only up to the drilling episode in the States, so...do they ever get rid of Roy??? Ugh. I see no need for him to be there and he's actually making Amy Pond look unattractive.
Hahaha.
Ahahahahahaha.
Ha.

Just keep watching.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:54:37 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: June 13, 2010, 07:22:46 AM

BBCA re aired "Smith and Jones" and I was struck by how similar it was to the new Doctor's first ep. It also made me wonder how the Doctor could be killed by radiation but whatever.

"Did you just 'shush' me?" I thought redheads were supposed to be a timid lot.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: June 14, 2010, 07:39:34 AM

Hahaha.
Ahahahahahaha.
Ha.

Just keep watching.

Oh goodie.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:14 AM

The last episode was good, non-monster, filler. I enjoyed it even if it didn't really go anywhere.

So what are the odds on the Pandoracle containing ?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #511 on: June 14, 2010, 07:49:02 PM

decent, nothing special but it was a decent one episode middle of the road bit.    It would have worked to have had that episode earlier, replaced a crappy episode, and added a better one for episode 11.

regardless, I can't believe we are nearly at the end.   

One thing I will say about this season, is that Matt Smith has acting chops in spades.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:48 PM

Yeah, I've come around on Matt Smith.  At this point I can't say one doctor (out of the three new ones) is "better"- they all show very different aspects of his personality.  I still have a soft spot for Eccleston, though- its a shame the other two always overshadow him. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #513 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:52 PM

Yeah, I've come around on Matt Smith.  At this point I can't say one doctor (out of the three new ones) is "better"- they all show very different aspects of his personality.  I still have a soft spot for Eccleston, though- its a shame the other two always overshadow him.  

He didn't want to get pigeonholed and I guess he has had an ok career post Who, but man I wish he had stuck around.

The last episode was good, non-monster, filler. I enjoyed it even if it didn't really go anywhere.

So what are the odds on the Pandoracle containing ?
I bow to your superior Who-Fu, I had to Wiki
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:05:40 PM by Fraeg »

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: June 15, 2010, 06:27:37 AM

Yeah, I've come around on Matt Smith.  At this point I can't say one doctor (out of the three new ones) is "better"- they all show very different aspects of his personality.  I still have a soft spot for Eccleston, though- its a shame the other two always overshadow him.  

He didn't want to get pigeonholed and I guess he has had an ok career post Who, but man I wish he had stuck around.

Funnily enough, this article is on the BBC frontpage right now...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: June 15, 2010, 06:51:32 AM

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in.

"I thought if I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong."

Um.  Could you be any more vague ?

I'm seriously intrigued as to what the hell he means.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:48 AM

Maybe the flamboyant gay stuff got to him?
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: June 15, 2010, 07:31:38 AM

Only thing I can really get from that is perhaps rather than being worried about being typecast he felt that the show and what they were too doing was too bound by continuity and making more Dr. Who rather than doing what they wanted to do? Or maybe there was a lot of artistic 'guidance' getting sent down from higher up on what should be happening in the show and what they could and couldn't do? I'd imagine the beeb being more hands on with a potentially very valuable again IP.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: June 15, 2010, 07:51:09 AM

I don't think so. If it were something like that why wouldn't he just say so? Instead he used the kind of weasel words you use when you want to say something you know wouldn't go over well.

I'm just guessing of course.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:41 AM

I'm thinking he's talking about RTD.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: June 15, 2010, 08:57:56 AM

This was my thought.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #521 on: June 15, 2010, 11:05:08 AM

Thirded.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:02 PM

Or maybe they had really bad food for lunch.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: June 19, 2010, 01:29:10 PM

That was the best "part one of a series finale" since, oh, Bad Wolf.
Admittedly, that's probably damning with faint praise but still.

E: Seriously though, that's got to be one of the bleakest cliffhangers since Empire Strikes Back. Every time it seemed that things were looking up - It Got Worse.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:42:55 PM by Simond »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #524 on: June 19, 2010, 01:50:45 PM

Where are people watching this in the states, other than torrents? I thought I had read that this is available?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: