Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624348 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #420 on: May 03, 2010, 12:07:30 PM

Heart Sontarans.  Mr.PotatoHead Fascists.  Great stuff.   
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: May 03, 2010, 12:08:37 PM

Yeah, but there was that fucking horrid 'Two Doctors' with Colin Baker that just ruined them.  It's sometimes hard to get Sontarans right and that two parter with David was just THE BEST.  The whole thing worked well.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: May 03, 2010, 01:47:29 PM

was that Timothy Dalton character last season supposed to be Rassilon, the first Timelord?  swamp poop

They called him Rassilon. I don't see why they'd use the name unless they meant the first Time Lord. That's probably one of the least strangest things about the Time War. (Nightmare Child, King of the never beens, whatever...)

I also wasn't hot on this episode. I think they're straying into Voyager Borg territory, where the tail is wagging the dog.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #423 on: May 03, 2010, 03:14:29 PM

I also wasn't hot on this episode. I think they're straying into Voyager Borg territory, where the tail is wagging the dog.

And sadly, Matt will suffer. Bad writing aside, I really quite like Smith as the Doctor.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:08 PM

If you can believe the last episode, the Daleks won't be a problem at all.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #425 on: May 03, 2010, 04:17:05 PM

The "successor" Daleks were supposed to be a return to some more "pure" Dalek form or something, right?  I couldn't tell, that episode made no goddamn sense.  But I got the impression that the "new" Daleks were in fact supposed to be an older fork off the evolutionary tree, or something.  They destroyed the Daleks that had woken them up because they were further from the Dalek ideal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:57 PM

I guess they want to go back to the more old school Daleks that had different colours to designate rank and roles, I'm not sure why that seemed like anything more than stupid camp for modern audiences but apparently they're more 'pure' than Davros' remnants. Which seems odd considering Davros created the first Daleks and with them being about racial purity and their original lot being the eventual evolution of the Kaleds you'd imagine the ones Davros made would be pure as any others. I'm guessing that trying to make it make sense beyond, "This sounds like a cool idea," is doomed to failure, much like the Smilers. And somehow unlike the Weeping Angels which were a cool idea that didn't need explaining because they were something new and alien.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: May 03, 2010, 07:31:57 PM

I guess they want to go back to the more old school Daleks that had different colours to designate rank and roles, I'm not sure why that seemed like anything more than stupid camp for modern audiences but apparently they're more 'pure' than Davros' remnants. Which seems odd considering Davros created the first Daleks and with them being about racial purity and their original lot being the eventual evolution of the Kaleds you'd imagine the ones Davros made would be pure as any others. I'm guessing that trying to make it make sense beyond, "This sounds like a cool idea," is doomed to failure, much like the Smilers. And somehow unlike the Weeping Angels which were a cool idea that didn't need explaining because they were something new and alien.

Well, lets not forget the Daleks were imprisoned on Skaro for quite some time (ending scene of Genesis of the Daleks). I'm assuming the 'progenitor' Daleks were some of the original batch that perhaps never got used and the Daleks we all now know and love have been cloned so many times or created through substandard processes (remember they had to dig up Davros because they couldn't muster the intelligence or strategy to win against the Movelianss) that they're sufficiently genetically different as to be viewed as inferior.

As for the multicolored models, Emilia not remembering the Daleks moving the earth, I'm really wondering if things are not quite what they seem. That damn crack in the universe is popping up everywhere and I'm thinking that best case, a whole slice of time has gone missing or worst case, the Doc somehow got sucked into another dimension when the Tardis was falling apart (E-Space maybe?)

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:36:11 PM by raydeen »

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: May 04, 2010, 10:44:10 AM

The Daleks that were rejected for being impure in the recent episode are what remains of the Dalek army created directly from Davros' DNA in the Stolen Earth (I think), so they should be as pure as can be.
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: May 04, 2010, 12:32:57 PM

I guess they want to go back to the more old school Daleks that had different colours to designate rank and roles, I'm not sure why that seemed like anything more than stupid camp for modern audiences but apparently they're more 'pure' than Davros' remnants.

Which "season" did the Daleks have color and role/rank in? I am curious in that the GF and I have started collecting the old Dr. Who series and would like a Dalek theme'd night. We already bought the Genesis of the Daleks and I was looking to procure the Destiny of the Daleks next.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: May 04, 2010, 12:44:38 PM

Hmm... I think I might have exaggerated somewhat in my head. This site has some of the stuff I was talking about, some of the Dalek movies had different ranks different colours and they definitely were different colours when the Supreme Dalek was at war with Davros' Daleks (which was definitely McCoy's run, not sure if it started earlier). The idea was certainly there before though.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: May 04, 2010, 02:55:06 PM

The Daleks that were rejected for being impure in the recent episode are what remains of the Dalek army created directly from Davros' DNA in the Stolen Earth (I think), so they should be as pure as can be.
Or they were those human-cell-based daleks from Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways. There's no way to tell for certain, but the whole 'impure' thing does tend to hint at that.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #432 on: May 04, 2010, 04:20:50 PM

Yeah, but there was that fucking horrid 'Two Doctors' with Colin Baker that just ruined them.  It's sometimes hard to get Sontarans right and that two parter with David was just THE BEST.  The whole thing worked well.

huh, I really dug that episode, of the multi doctor specials (two, three, and five doctors) I think the two doctors is by far the best.  Each to their own.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:48 AM

huh, I really dug that episode, of the multi doctor specials (two, three, and five doctors) I think the two doctors is by far the best.  Each to their own.

No disputing matters of taste, some say, but on this:  swamp poop

Really a bad one. Quite aside from C. Baker.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #434 on: May 09, 2010, 12:03:41 AM

Vampires, plagues, and doctors oh my.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: May 09, 2010, 01:03:08 AM

I liked it even though, as you say, it's been done countless times before.

I'd much rather have a flatline than a peak and then 8 troughs.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: May 09, 2010, 06:20:16 AM

Seeing Amy try to jump on the Doctor the night before her wedding in last week's episode made me like her a bit less.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: May 09, 2010, 06:51:44 AM

A nifty little episode, rather Who-by-numbers but I'm generally happy with that so long as it's entertaining. Lots to like, too... especially the pre-titles scene.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:54:18 AM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: May 10, 2010, 06:22:27 AM

Like people said, a very standard Who episode but since I felt the first few big episodes were really just trying and failing to be big impressive episodes I liked it. Next weeks looks like it could be a really good one too, seems slightly different from the average without trying to just be 'big'.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #439 on: May 10, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

The first part of the Weeping Angels episode was fantastic. It made up for the shitty Daleks episode, and made me really want to get to the part where the Doctor marries/shacks up with River Song.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: May 10, 2010, 02:21:03 PM

Don't watch the second part.

Heartbreak

Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: May 10, 2010, 02:41:06 PM

Heartbreak

I hate you.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: May 10, 2010, 03:08:48 PM

But he's right. The second part probably wasn't any worse than the two before it but after the first one was so solid it was a big let down.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: May 11, 2010, 11:46:58 AM

I liked it even though, as you say, it's been done countless times before.

I'd much rather have a flatline than a peak and then 8 troughs.

Heartbreak
You preferred generic seen it all before a million times Dr Who by-the-numbers to the Angels two-parter? Really?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:20 PM

Have you read any of the thread ?  Like, maybe the last couple of pages where I gave my....review of the Angels ?

A fucking trainwreck.

So, yeah, really.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #445 on: May 13, 2010, 05:39:37 AM

I just watched this last night and I can't, for the life of me, remember how it ended.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: May 13, 2010, 09:23:10 AM

I watched blink on netflix last night. That was enjoyable.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: May 13, 2010, 09:23:52 AM

Blink was awesome.

Absolutely fucking awesome.  In almost every way.

Such a shame.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: May 13, 2010, 08:33:23 PM

I'm curious.  When did the Angels go from freezing when people looked at them to freezing when people FAKE looking at them, with their eyes closed?

That was about the time I wandered away and forgot to watch the rest. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:39 AM

In that case you should also be wondering when the Angels managed to start looking at each without freezing. I'm pretty sure that not only were there a few clearly seeing other Angels in that scene but just having that number of angels around pretty much guarantees a load of them catch sight of the others and are frozen forever. The second part was horrible.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: May 14, 2010, 06:21:40 AM

Plot holes I could drive a bus through.

Plot holes so big, I could fill them with King Kong and Godzilla.

Plots holes that I could almmmmost manage to squeeze my penis into.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #451 on: May 14, 2010, 07:38:27 AM

It's that small?  awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #452 on: May 14, 2010, 04:50:15 PM

In that case you should also be wondering when the Angels managed to start looking at each without freezing. I'm pretty sure that not only were there a few clearly seeing other Angels in that scene but just having that number of angels around pretty much guarantees a load of them catch sight of the others and are frozen forever. The second part was horrible.

This was my biggest problem with that episode.  The clever trick the Doctor used in Blink just suddenly doesn't work, for no particular reason.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:32 PM

Wow. Part 2 of the weeping angels was one of the most awesome brilliant things I've seen on TV in a long time, and those who don't like it are clearly the retarded children of Sarah Palin's retarded children's incestuous pairing. No, worse than that. Whatever's worse than that. Every square inch of that episode was distilled goodness.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: May 16, 2010, 01:57:36 PM

Anyway the last episode was pretty good. Not great but I felt it worked well and worked plot-wise

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: