Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:55:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624526 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:50 AM

And it's STILL pantomime. Another "it's BEHIND you!" episode. I'm not enjoying it.
Well, yeah. It's a family programme that airs at just gone six on Saturday evenings. You were expecting on-screen eviscerations and "they're coming outta the fucking walls", perhaps?
I thought it was dreadful. It feels more like Doctor Who fanfic.
In what way?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #386 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:22 AM

The constant "I'm the Doctor" the recycled enemies with new (stupid) powers, the Doctor's 'wife', the companion saves the day, etc. Just felt hackneyed.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #387 on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:34 AM

The "I'm the Doctor, booga booga booga" thing is indeed wearing thin.  Otherwise I thought this was a pretty good episode.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #388 on: April 26, 2010, 05:07:18 PM

It was ok.  That's about it.  Maybe it's because I enjoyed the David Tennant series so much.  I'm not finding the story to be inspired so far and the acting is so so.  I kind of think I like the new companion more, too.  Not in a pervy way, though, like you pervy pervs.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: April 26, 2010, 06:52:14 PM

But it's way more pervy if we think of you having pervy thoughts about the new companion!     awesome, for real
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: April 27, 2010, 03:33:22 AM

Just caught episode 2 (Starship UK) and have watched it twice (original air date and again 'cause the lil' one missed it). It felt disjointed and rushed except for the end which I liked. It also felt like a C.Baker/McCoy episode. I'm beginning to see where Ironwood is coming from. I hope these are just growing pains until everybody finds themselves and start cranking out some epic episodes.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #391 on: April 27, 2010, 06:56:33 AM

My advice would be to skip ep. 3 entirely then. I actually enjoyed 4 more than I thought I would. I went in expecting 45 minutes of "Oh shit, don't blink!"

I get the criticism on the Doctor's ego trips, but I don't find they bother me that much. I also don't mind that they are throwing back to previous episodes, because hey, they were the good epsodes.

I thought the conversation with Bob really made this episode.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:36 AM

"I am the doctor" has been said in just about every episode ever. Especially after he has regenerated.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #393 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:06 AM

Having finally gotten around to watch the first two episodes on my DVR, I can't say I am disappointed. I am not expecting deep storylines or any intrigue, its Dr. Who - it does nicely in keeping the threads in it. Guess I didn't have any expectations or standards with Smith coming in. I recall loathing Tennant for the first three episodes - Smith I am taking to much easier. I figured the first couple episodes would be those set-up episodes for people... to be continued I suppose.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: April 27, 2010, 06:37:01 PM

My advice would be to skip ep. 3 entirely then.

My advice would be to watch it. This thread is full of sore-headed nerds unable to grasp the subtle fact that they aren't the programme's core demographic, or willing to give the new series the credence to get past the teething stage. I personally think it was a clever stroke to get the Daleks in and out early, so they don't hover over the series like a bad smell waiting to happen. Plus, it was actually a really fun episode all round, with some hilarious (and gloriously out of character for Daleks) lines and the sheer unbridled joy and silliness of Spitfires in Space. The second episode has been the weakest so far - it had its charm, but it was a half-formed idea rushed to completion with too many plot holes to realistically fill in.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: April 27, 2010, 07:33:41 PM

Sometime this season the doctor needs to find the scarf in the Tardis.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:29 AM

My advice would be to skip ep. 3 entirely then.

Oh nooooo no no no no. I never miss a Dalek episode.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I think the only things I've really facepalmed so far have been the lines 'WHO DA MAN!' and Queen Liz's 'Basically, I RULE!'. I mean, it's cute and I grinned but things like this just seem so out of context and character that it breaks the immersion for a minute or so. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I've been watching Blake's 7 for the first time in probably almost 30 years and am in a certain serious business sci-fi mode right now.

Oh well, shutting up now.

[/Kryten "Lurk Mode on Sir."]

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: April 28, 2010, 04:30:59 AM

Don't talk to me about Blake's 7.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #398 on: April 28, 2010, 07:15:08 AM

Don't talk to me about Blake's 7.

But what about the time when it stopped being Blake's 7 and all the interesting characters that you cared about disappeared or took a back seat to the shitheels?

As for the "Who da man?" I loved it. because he actually looked around and realized how utterly stupid it sounded.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #399 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:06 AM

Finally got around to watching the Smilers episode. Yeah, there were some "Why would you do that?" moments in the episode, but overall, I liked it. The Smilers really did make no sense, but I kind of wrote them off as a "Quirky British way to inject some creepy menace" into the story. His use of "GERONMINO!" was quite appropriate. I do like this Doctor, though I agree the writers haven't quite found his consistent voice yet.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:37 AM

Finally got around to watching the Smilers episode. Yeah, there were some "Why would you do that?" moments in the episode, but overall, I liked it. The Smilers really did make no sense, but I kind of wrote them off as a "Quirky British way to inject some creepy menace" into the story. His use of "GERONMINO!" was quite appropriate. I do like this Doctor, though I agree the writers haven't quite found his consistent voice yet.

A buddy of mine observed that so far in the new series we've gone from 'FANTASTIC!' to 'BRILLIANT!' to 'GERONIMOOOOOO....wait...what...?'  awesome, for real

I thought it was funny.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: May 01, 2010, 11:16:03 AM

Ok, fair enough, but naaah.

Nah.

Work harder.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:28 PM

Work harder? Compared to the crap that made up a good third-to-half of Ten's episodes, they are working harder.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: May 01, 2010, 05:47:51 PM

Great episode tonight, and a good two-parter all round.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: May 01, 2010, 07:18:15 PM

My advice would be to skip ep. 3 entirely then. I actually enjoyed 4 more than I thought I would. I went in expecting 45 minutes of "Oh shit, don't blink!"

I get the criticism on the Doctor's ego trips, but I don't find they bother me that much. I also don't mind that they are throwing back to previous episodes, because hey, they were the good epsodes.

I thought the conversation with Bob really made this episode.

Ugh... I watched because I have to, but the 3rd episode was bad, and I can stand a lot of bad writing. Flying spitfires in space with barrel rolls and shit?  swamp poop

And my god, what the fuck is with the mighty morphen power Daleks?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #405 on: May 01, 2010, 11:51:38 PM

The Dalek episode was pretty weak all around. They may have run out of Dalek ideas a while ago, but feel obligated to actually include Daleks. The Spitfires in space I didn't mind, but on the whole, the story felt weak. They still don't really seem to have a handle on who they want this Doctor to be. The crack in the wall clue to the overarching series story was a bit too obvious this time. I look forward to seeing the return of the Doctor's future wife from the library episode along with the angels next week.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: May 02, 2010, 12:23:02 AM

Work harder? Compared to the crap that made up a good third-to-half of Ten's episodes, they are working harder.

He just wrote himself right into a corner.

Anyway.  Vampires Up Next.  Cool.  Curse of Fenric all over again.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #407 on: May 02, 2010, 12:24:14 AM

but feel obligated to actually include Daleks.

I've read a couple places that it was a requirement from the BBC as a condition of funding.

This season is the first of the reboot I've watched. It's weird having things wrapped up in a single episode rather than 5-7.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: May 02, 2010, 03:12:29 AM

There's supposed to be a clause in the Nation Estate's leasing of the Dalek intellectual property to the BBC that states that if they're not used for a year then the terms of the lease must be renegotiated. Allegedly.

Plus at least that episode broke away from "the last dalek/dalek warship/etc. that survived the Time War" and said "Yep, they've won and they'll be building up a new Empire now"

He just wrote himself right into a corner.

Anyway.  Vampires Up Next.  Cool.  Curse of Fenric all over again.
Yeah, it's not like the
And Curse of Fenric was good.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: May 02, 2010, 03:28:10 AM

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:32:20 AM by Ironwood »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: May 02, 2010, 05:09:42 AM

It was lazy writing but it wasn't so bad that I've lost hope. I thought it was an enjoyable enough 2 parter that had some good moments, might not be anywhere near the best of Tenant's run but it was better than the last few. It had some scary moments (although the sudden new powers the angels started acquiring got a bit worrying. I was waiting for them to discover that angels can fly and phase through walls if it had gone on a lot longer.)

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: May 02, 2010, 02:44:21 PM

I was thinking maybe that the pessimists were being overly critical of the Dalek episode.

No, no they weren't. Terrible. The color Daleks would have been fine if the episode had been even marginally coherent. Just bad in every way.
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: May 02, 2010, 05:02:57 PM

I was thinking maybe that the pessimists were being overly critical of the Dalek episode.

No, no they weren't. Terrible. The color Daleks would have been fine if the episode had been even marginally coherent. Just bad in every way.

Maybe they are doing some Voltron-esque thing with the Daleks from this episode... ACTIVATE INTERLOCK! -.-

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #413 on: May 02, 2010, 09:37:04 PM

I am with Ironwood in part at least. 

that said definately better than Spitfiiiiiiires in Spaaaaaace!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #414 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:10 PM

All I could think of with this new episode was that Simpson's episode where Shatner goes "Again with the Klingons...."

Did we really need the Dalek's resurrected -- what? 5th or 6th time?  Christ sake.

Too bad we can't get some interesting nemeses like Omega/Rassalon. Ole skool.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:42 PM

Rassilon again? Its been 6 or so episodes since the last time.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:01 AM

The thing we kept saying about the new Daleks was that they were the Dalektubbies. "Tinky-Winky! Dipsy! Po!" If they were going to reboot them, I wish they'd said something like "wow, they came out kind of weak, but don't really know it" so that we could get back to "Daleks: very bad but not omigod Time War destroy-everything bad" for their next inevitable appearance. Maybe that's essentially what they'll do. To be honest, I'd be happy to never see them again.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:09 AM

I wouldn't like to never see them again but I'd be happy with reappearing no more than once a series and only in cases where there are a small number presenting only local threats wherever the Doctor is rather than facing Dalek Empire after Dalek Empire. Let them be nasty bad guys but they don't have to be threatening universal domination every time they show up, that gets tired really fast.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #418 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:04 PM

was that Timothy Dalton character last season supposed to be Rassilon, the first Timelord?  swamp poop

I dunno, I just wish they would troll some of the more interesting old baddies some times other than recycling cybermen and daleks.  Or make new ones equally threatening they can re-use.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:10 PM

Shush.

The Silurians are coming back this season and I fully expect my childhood to be raped again.

Though Tennant totally made the Sontarans AWESOME again.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: