Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624326 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: December 10, 2015, 07:47:17 AM

I don't even mean that.  Even with an aces team of writers and whatnot, I'm not sure it'd sit right with me.  The Conversation between Sims and Tennant was the closest they ever came to being honest with each other (and that just because The Time War clearly fucked them both right up) and even in that conversation The Master couldn't keep his head straight.  He's an A1 Fucking Nutball and The Doctor is too clever for him.

Actually, it reminds me of that conversation between Will Graham and Lecter, where Will told Lecter that the reason he caught him was because of his 'disadvantage'.  "You're Insane."

It's just like that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:48:48 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2101 on: December 10, 2015, 07:59:51 AM

Well, right. I think it's too established a relationship to pull some major switcheroo like "The Seven Percent Solution" does with Holmes and Moriarity, for example. And the "we're the same, you and I" gets tedious, as does the Doctor fretting too much about being willing to fight against evil.

But I do like the idea of the Doctor taking a damaged or wounded (psychologically or otherwise) person on board and trying to provide some healing by way of giving that person a new set of experiences, or by seeing a wider perspective on things. Say, for example, a minor figure in the French Revolution who was about to lose his life in the Terror and is just very depressed by seeing so much that was potentially good go to shit. Could create an interesting tension in a season or two, since the Doctor often comes to situations rather like that (things that were good go to shit) but also finds ways to argue that saving even one thing or one person is enough grace.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2102 on: December 10, 2015, 08:09:38 AM

Leela was that.  It worked very well.  It was also hilarious.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2103 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:06 AM

I think the next companion really shouldn't be yet another hot chick from modern day Earth - or anyone from modern day Earth. I think those depths have been plumbed aplenty in the last few years. Another male companion might be good, or an alien or just something different.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: December 10, 2015, 08:45:33 AM

I get the impression that for the foreseeable future the Doctor is getting female companions, probably because the producers want to maintain a headline gender balance to maintain the female demographic/keep the attention of the lust maddened male demographic.

I can't really see them ever cutting it entirely and trying a single male lead with a more heavily rotating secondary cast. I realise I'm in danger of coming off as certain segments of the internet but I really don't think the Beeb are going to be willing to have a solo male star in a major series, especially one meant to appeal to a younger audience. Which is one of the problems with the series in the modern setting, they need some audience stand in and having a clueless and less important female character feels wrong but equally not having any females outside single episodes or cameos feels wrong.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: December 12, 2015, 09:28:50 AM

They could have a woman as the doctor after Capaldi is done.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2106 on: December 12, 2015, 09:55:10 AM

I think they should get Idris Elba to be the next Doctor.  why so serious?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2107 on: December 12, 2015, 01:51:52 PM

Poor Idris, reduced to a discussion point to make white folks uncomfortable. What next, "Hey, how about we reboot Magnum P.I. and make Idris Elba the lead."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: December 12, 2015, 02:05:59 PM

They did.  It's called Luther.

why so serious?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2109 on: December 12, 2015, 02:32:45 PM

I've literally never seen a Doctor Who fan complain about the idea of a black Doctor. You could maybe get a rise out of people by saying the next Doctor should be Helen Mirren (although she'd be good, you should suggest Kylie Minogue).

But yeah, Luther is better than Dr Who at the moment and I'd rather have more of that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2110 on: December 12, 2015, 05:52:00 PM

Poor Idris, reduced to a discussion point to make white folks uncomfortable. What next, "Hey, how about we reboot Magnum P.I. and make Idris Elba the lead."

Actually, I think Idris would make an insanely good Doctor, or just about anything else. There's really not a lot that Idris Elba couldn't do that wouldn't be improved by his presence. That the suggestion might also make racist muppets lose their shit just makes it double plus good.

Of course, no actor can save Doctor Who from the shittiness of the scripts that have been floated in the Moffat era.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: December 12, 2015, 06:33:05 PM

Bruce Campbell for the next Doctor!   awesome, for real
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2112 on: December 12, 2015, 06:56:35 PM

"Good, bad? I'm the one with the TARDIS."

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2113 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:40 AM

Of course, no actor can save Doctor Who from the shittiness of the scripts that have been floated in the Moffat era.

This.  And it's a shame they keep getting good actors to try.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2114 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:11 PM

"Good, bad? I'm the one with the TARDIS."

"It's a trick, get a sonic axe..."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: December 27, 2015, 04:27:13 PM

People may pick apart the Christmas special but god damn I enjoyed it.  This to me was the perfect match of River/Doctor and the best way they could have tied up the storyline.  After 11 I was actually pissed they created this interesting character(river) and then just sort of hand waved away all the backstory they gave her(they werent really married, she never really knew his name etc etc) with this at least they can retcon some of the worse writing.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: December 27, 2015, 08:15:13 PM

I thought it was ok. Kind of a queasy mix of tones and plot, but not terrible.

I really wish it were Moffat's last. Apparently at one point he thought it might be.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: December 28, 2015, 05:12:19 AM

On the other hand, 'sonic trowel'.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: December 28, 2015, 02:38:30 PM

I was finally able to watch a couple of episodes a few days ago and I really, really don't get the appeal, much less the fanaticism, people have for this show.  It just seemed like a bad generic sci fi series.  Reminded me how I felt after watching a few episodes of Farscape, another iconic nerd show I didn't like.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:00 PM

To some extent, at its best, Farscape is better than Dr. Who. I dunno, some things involve a level of commitment to the premise. If you can't or won't, that's cool, but don't hate people who do.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2120 on: December 28, 2015, 04:22:48 PM

I liked the Christmas special.  It was fun, light, and we didn't have mind twisting explanations of the rules being bent to justify whatever actions the Doctor was doing.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: December 28, 2015, 04:47:45 PM

I was finally able to watch a couple of episodes a few days ago and I really, really don't get the appeal, much less the fanaticism, people have for this show.  It just seemed like a bad generic sci fi series.  Reminded me how I felt after watching a few episodes of Farscape, another iconic nerd show I didn't like.

Try the David Tennant episodes if you haven't already, and have access to them.

It can't be judged in the same way as other science fictions shows though, its meant to be a little bit silly. If it was a spy show it would be more Avengers (Steed and Mrs Peel) than James Bond, when it's at its best.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:49:34 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2122 on: December 28, 2015, 07:11:08 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2123 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:18 PM

I was finally able to watch a couple of episodes a few days ago and I really, really don't get the appeal, much less the fanaticism, people have for this show.  It just seemed like a bad generic sci fi series.  Reminded me how I felt after watching a few episodes of Farscape, another iconic nerd show I didn't like.

It takes a lot of effort to get past the bad in Farscape.  The first season and a half is pretty horrible.  It has its moments, but the majority of the garbage episodes fall into that range of the series.  That's a lot of episodes to get through in order to find the worth in the series, and it may not be worth the attempt.

That being said, I got like 7 episodes into Dr Who and just felt it wasn't worth the effort. It was mildly entertaining in a low budget, British kind of way.  I have too much to watch and too little time nowadays.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:07:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: December 30, 2015, 02:54:59 AM

Given the quality of television at the moment and the sheer amount of good shit out there, Dr Who is hugely skippable.

Much as it pains me.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:55 AM

It's like 8 episodes per year during the slow season, I think it's still worth watching.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2126 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:44 PM

It's not worth watching but I also spent years reading shitty X-Men stories because I love the characters so I'm hardly the best person to judge that.

As for the Xmas special, I liked it well enough except for the part where they essentially made River the universe's creepiest obsessive girlfriend/stalker only to go all sappy and sentimental in the end.

Too bad Moffat didn't decide to give the world a gift and fuck off after this episode.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: January 22, 2016, 01:40:04 PM

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: January 22, 2016, 02:41:54 PM

Nice! It would be better is if it was sooner, but that is still some great news.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2129 on: January 22, 2016, 04:45:02 PM

Just finished binging the last season.  Some really good episodes mixed in with some not so great.  Taken as a whole, probably the worst season of the new Dr. Who series for me.  We'll see what Moffat's replacement does with it. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: January 22, 2016, 05:33:29 PM

New guy sucks.. he needs to be replaced.   awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2131 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:05 PM

It can't come soon enough. I only hope Capaldi stays around for a season of non-Moffatry.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #2132 on: December 27, 2016, 05:23:13 AM

I enjoyed this year's Christmas special.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2133 on: December 27, 2016, 12:08:56 PM

It was amusing if nearly totally without weight. I ended up liking Nardole more than I thought I would based on last year's special.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: January 30, 2017, 05:45:28 PM

Capaldi has announced he's leaving at the end of the year. This is a shame as I'd have liked to have seen him post Moffat.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: