Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Boosting in BGs: Worthless? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boosting in BGs: Worthless?  (Read 18043 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

on: September 07, 2008, 04:16:44 PM

I don't get this.  I get some more HP, but my spells still suck.  Seems like this implementation is half assed.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:19:27 PM

You don't get new skills, but the skills you do get scale in power to a significantly higher level.  You will be weaker than those of the appropriate rank, but the disparity won't be enormous.  I think it works pretty well.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:20:18 PM

problem is you only get boosted to 8 wheras a lot of people in there are level 11 which is the max and they still own your face because 3 levels is a big difference.

edit to say i just got repeatedly killed and /lol'ed on today by a level 11 named 'hammernigro' somehow i think the worst failing of war not going to be bugs, it is going to be all the people that are actively trying to shit on your fun.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:25:05 PM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Zira
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:41:05 PM

I have had no problems killing level 10s as a boosted level 4.  Unless you play a healer, then they all go for them anyway.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:43:28 PM

Indeed.. my runepriest gets mobbed all the time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:45:54 PM

You don't get new skills, but the skills you do get scale in power to a significantly higher level.  You will be weaker than those of the appropriate rank, but the disparity won't be enormous.  I think it works pretty well.

If you get a good compliment of skills that is. The group most affected by the level/skill disparity is casters. Many good abilities come later in the tiers. Being level 1 in Tier 1 bites, but only slightly more so than level 12 in Tier 2. Healers, melee, and weapons-based ranged seem to fair better.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 11:33:16 PM

I went in at level 2, got boosted to 8 and managed to rack up some kills (finishing blow) and points. At level 2. I'd say it works well, lets you play and score whitout being unfair to who's actually higher than you and earned his/her level.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:21 AM

edit to say i just got repeatedly killed and /lol'ed on today by a level 11 named 'hammernigro' somehow i think the worst failing of war not going to be bugs, it is going to be all the people that are actively trying to shit on your fun.
Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.  why so serious?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:52:27 AM

problem is you only get boosted to 8 wheras a lot of people in there are level 11 which is the max and they still own your face because 3 levels is a big difference.

Dude, seriously, cowboy up.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:27:55 AM

Dunno if it's spell power or itemization but 10-11 players are almost indestructible for me, exercise in futility.

I fire a spell and their health barely moves, if it moves.

Actually it happens often both in scenarios and RvR that a level 11 player charges right into a zerg and is able to stand there a minute with EVERYONE firing at him. Then stroll back and get healed.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:00:14 AM

The problem with jumping right into scenarios with only a couple levels is that you just don't have many skills to use. It's more forgiving once you get to tier 2, and even more so, I'm assuming, once you go beyond that.

Dunno if it's spell power or itemization but 10-11 players are almost indestructible for me, exercise in futility.

I fire a spell and their health barely moves, if it moves.

Actually it happens often both in scenarios and RvR that a level 11 player charges right into a zerg and is able to stand there a minute with EVERYONE firing at him. Then stroll back and get healed.

It's the 'rr6' armor, which will probably be getting nerfed soon. Once you get level 10, and realm rank 6, go to tier 2. Find your keep there and head to the top. A guy there will sell you renown armor sets. Pick up the 10/6 one, and for the next two levels you'll basically break tier 1 scenarios.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:17 AM

It's the 'rr6' armor, which will probably be getting nerfed soon. Once you get level 10, and realm rank 6, go to tier 2. Find your keep there and head to the top. A guy there will sell you renown armor sets. Pick up the 10/6 one, and for the next two levels you'll basically break tier 1 scenarios.

This is almost Funcom stupid. Is there a dark reason for this to happen?

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:31:40 AM

This has already been nerfed, you can no longer do this.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 05:49:02 AM

Can't say I'm sad to see it happen. You know there's a serious problem when a thread posted on Warhammer Alliance asking for the nerf is met with almost unanimous approval.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 06:06:44 AM

The biggest difference is the gear differential by the higher level players in the Tier. Lower levels are a lot less powerful, resistant, etc so they simply get rolled faster.  Meanwhile the top level folks for the tier have good armor/resists, and are very hard to kill.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:36:12 AM

Can't say I'm sad to see it happen. You know there's a serious problem when a thread posted on Warhammer Alliance asking for the nerf is met with almost unanimous approval.

Aye. They actually had it listed as a bug, but that might just be them trying to avoid using"nerf".

However from playing this weekend it does not seem to be fixed/nerfed. I am still fighting level 10-11s who, as has been said before, walk around with impunity pwning face.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:37 AM

Don't worry, most of these guys will go to the Open RVR servers, especially if they win the fight to remove Chickening from them.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 06:41:48 AM

Don't worry, most of these guys will go to the Open RVR servers, especially if they win the fight to remove Chickening from them.

I hope chickening is removed.

And what do you mean by 'these guys'? Last night, I plowed through the influence bar for the first chapter in the tier 2 zones to get a piece of blue tier 2 armor. It has total PvE stats, no resists or toughness/wounds. It has the same graphic, though, and I'd predict that the other people who look like they are in tier 2 did the same thing.

It does have a significant armor difference, however.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:35:41 AM by Nonentity »

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:03 AM

Weapon DPS ramps up a ton, and more attacks. Essentially when you get to certain points your power goes up a ton. For WPs, it's the mitenmoor hammer quest reward + divine assault at 8 that makes you got from "whee, I'm okay!" to "come here so I can pound you some more"

Bolster ups your level based scaling on skills (so the base damage/heal will go up), but not your equipped item stats (so as a caster, you'll have lower int than a real geared level 8 or whatever). It helps, but in Tier 1 you level so quickly and get core skills so fast that it's a huge power difference.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:57 AM

I agree with Kildorn.  I think the thing to keep in mind is that the later game has a lot more parity than the early game.  In the first tier, success depends heavily on gear and what level your class gets a key ability (i.e. a snare, detaunt, debuff, heal, etc).  When everyone has access to a larger host of tools, playstyle matters more.  Granted, being at the top of a higher tier in level and gear still makes you pretty damn tough.  It's less of an issue later on. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 07:29:01 AM

I also heard it was nerfed, but "invulnerable mode" seems still there.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 07:39:47 AM

It's not there as much as tanks being brutally hard to kill with even just a basic HoT on them.

My WP can still wander up to a level 10 magus and proceed to tear him to shreds through chainhealing. An unhealed level 10 chosen however will be a 3 minute grindfest.

I do think something is way out of whack with chosen right now though in general.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:53:32 AM

It was nerfed to the current situation. Which I think was a worse idea. As it stands right now, you cant get good PVP gear until level 10, and at 10 you are already 2 levels higher than any one below level 8, so really the way they nerfed the gear just made it so that people under 10 had less change to compete. At least before when you could get the good PVP gear at level 6, the disparity wants so huge, now it seems like people level 10 and up just completely crush everyone in the BGs.
Personally I think it was a very bad move.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:08 AM

It was nerfed to the current situation. Which I think was a worse idea. As it stands right now, you cant get good PVP gear until level 10, and at 10 you are already 2 levels higher than any one below level 8, so really the way they nerfed the gear just made it so that people under 10 had less change to compete. At least before when you could get the good PVP gear at level 6, the disparity wants so huge, now it seems like people level 10 and up just completely crush everyone in the BGs.

This has been my observation as well. Level 10's and 11's need a full group of level 5-8's on them just to have a chance of being killed.  They basically 2 shot the lower levels it seems. There were a lot of times we'd have one side that was mostly level 9-11 and the other side mostly levels 5-8, and the 9-11 group would win with scores like 500 to 50.  Back when the gear wasn't staggered like it is right now, this seemed to happen less often.

Short version is that this staggered gear idea is bad, and makes the lower levels non-competitive even with level boosts. They may as well be fighting naked.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:10 AM

seems like a lot of pissing and moaning for a bracket you lvl out of on day two/three of play.

if the same issues hold true in your 20s and thirties, then yeah that would be a serious issue.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:49 AM

seems like a lot of pissing and moaning for a bracket you lvl out of on day two/three of play.

if the same issues hold true in your 20s and thirties, then yeah that would be a serious issue.

It doesn't appear to be limited to T1.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 10:44:36 AM

This has been my observation as well. Level 10's and 11's need a full group of level 5-8's on them just to have a chance of being killed.  They basically 2 shot the lower levels it seems. There were a lot of times we'd have one side that was mostly level 9-11 and the other side mostly levels 5-8, and the 9-11 group would win with scores like 500 to 50.  Back when the gear wasn't staggered like it is right now, this seemed to happen less often.

Short version is that this staggered gear idea is bad, and makes the lower levels non-competitive even with level boosts. They may as well be fighting naked.

GEAR BASED GAMES WOOT!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:31 AM

GEAR BASED GAMES WOOT!

Try that one in the WoW forum.  They will eat you alive.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:49:27 AM

One thing is an even progression in levels and powers to give that sense of growth.

Another is a huge leap at some specific levels.

They should simply stagger the gear more uniformly, without major bumps.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 10:57:06 AM

This is very true.  Sadly, first impressions mean a lot in a system that profits from a subscription-based model.  If the early pvp isn't fun out of the box, many won't bother to trudge forward... particularly those new to MMO's.   

-  Mark Twain
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:46 AM

One thing is an even progression in levels and powers to give that sense of growth.

I agree with this and I would also like to add that the real problem is tanks.  Other classes go down fairly quickly to FF even with lower levels.  But tanks become brutes when they are at the top end of the level range.  Ask Tazelbain.  I would throw a Hot on his iron breaker and he would wade into like 10 players while I desperately tried to keep the clothies up.  30 seconds later he would be at half health and I would just throw another HOT on him ;-).
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 10:59:25 AM

GEAR BASED GAMES WOOT!

And just think, only three weeks ago I was being VEHEMENTLY told that there was NO WAY that DAoC 1.5 WAR was going to allow gear imbalances.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:33 AM

That would not have been me, i was hoping, but i wasn't betting.

About my 3ed scenario, i noticed i had no chance. If i ever feel like an ass woppin, or to see that nice hi-rez "you have died" screen, i may try them again.

Going to have to say, i enjoyed AOC's less reliance on gear for PvP, than this. I also want to say, WAR seems to have less Meshes for gear than AOC does as well, its just that they become more overt in higher levels (SHOULDER PADS!!!). Of the three possible sources of gear for my level, all three had the same graphic. PC loot, Quest loot, and drop. Same (talking about the set here, chest, feet, hands).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:06:21 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 11:29:39 AM

GEAR BASED GAMES WOOT!

And just think, only three weeks ago I was being VEHEMENTLY told that there was NO WAY that DAoC 1.5 WAR was going to allow gear imbalances.

There is no massive gear imbalance. PVP gear = PVP gear = PVP gear.

Let me put it this way: As a level say 8rr0, you have really bad gear. Because the game doesn't give you a full set of green gear out of the gate. However, a level 8rr8 will be able to buy about half a set of green gear.

At level 40rr0, you'll have okay gear from leveling. Mostly blue, some purple. Likely not heavy in resists, but heavy in willpower/int/str as you need. A level 40rr40 character in full pvp gear will have lower dps/healing than you, but far more defense/resists/hp. They'll probably kill you, but it's anywhere near Scholo Blues vs Naxx.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 11:35:32 AM

There is no place for uber gear in a pvp-based MMO, staggered or not.

1) Gear should be easily obtainable.  So easy, in fact, that it's not the point of the game.    This is a great opportunity to involve crafters in your community.  A missed opportunity in most games.  

2) Levels should impart a wider variety of abilities, not an increase in power.  Players adept at using a multitude of tools should be the cream.  Learning to use tools takes time... this is what should reward retention.  Play more = get better.  Not:  play more = get more artificial plusses to your stats.  

3) 4 level 5's should have a 50:50 shot at beating 1 level 20.  If this isn't the case, your game is too PvE dependent.

4) Min - Maxxing should have limited value.  

5) A group with 6 different classes > A group without 6 different classes.  It looks like WAR is attempting this, but I think the playerbase will outsmart them by identifying the most overpowered abilities and stacking them.  

Bah... I'm rehashing 1999.  My apologies.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Boosting in BGs: Worthless?  
Jump to: