Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  (Read 115833 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #140 on: September 10, 2008, 10:50:38 AM

Did anyone seriously believe for one second respeccing would be free?

hey allow me my naive illusions why so serious?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
zubey
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: September 10, 2008, 11:33:04 AM

They definitely need to bolster people to the highest level of the tier...the loot advantage (and having more spells/tactics/whatever) is easily enough for the higher level players.  Also, consider putting a ton of awesome PQs in the lower part of the tier with nice to loot to help out the lower levels.  It's still never going to be good.  Joining a scenario before level 7 definitely ain't fun, and I can imagine it's just as bad at level 12 against level 20s.

I brought up this issue today on the warhammer alliance boards.  Seemingly most people are against it.  I think I got L2Ped a few times too.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81607

I think some people just really like the playstyle of "You get pwned until you're max level.  Then, YOU get to do the pwning."  I don't, though.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:53 AM

I don't know, just keep playing and leveling a long the way and then you get to be the badass for a while.  It's not like you can camp and twink in a tier range for long since you level out of it eventually.

I don't understand the crying.  Everyone hits the level cap eventually.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #143 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:23 PM

The "crying" is because the PVP could be even better with more robust bolstering, that's why.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
zubey
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:13 PM

I don't know, just keep playing and leveling a long the way and then you get to be the badass for a while.  It's not like you can camp and twink in a tier range for long since you level out of it eventually.

That's true, but I think its bad for the game.  I think many new players' first impression of scenarios will be very unpleasant.  First impressions mean so much in a new MMO.  Heck, Age of Conan would have fallen flat on its face at launch if it weren't for how compelling newbie island was.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: September 10, 2008, 12:14:23 PM

That's true, but I think its bad for the game.  I think many new players' first impression of scenarios will be very unpleasant.  First impressions mean so much in a new MMO.  Heck, Age of Conan would have fallen flat on its face at launch if it weren't for how compelling newbie island was.

or, why should I play Mythic's copy of the WoW battlegroup and get stomped on as a newb when I can play the World of Warcraft version with my maxed out character? 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #146 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:12 PM

I disagree strongly that there is no fun in going to scenarios under level 10.  I would suggest most should wait to level 3 unless you are a vet. But that takes like 20mins.  You are going to have learn to play against stiff opposition sooner or later.  Learn to take your beatings like a dwarf.  That said I would wholly agree that the scaling should do more in T1 so it isn't quite the uphill battle it is now. It's fine in T2.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #147 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:50 PM

I've found that questing until the first warcamp, hitting level 7 and then going to RvR is the way I'm gonna go at live.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:49 PM

Its worth getting rank 2 before you do that I think schild, just so you have the option to grab the very first set of renown gear.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: September 10, 2008, 12:19:51 PM

I've found that questing until the first warcamp, hitting level 7 and then going to RvR is the way I'm gonna go at live.

This is pretty much what I do.. RvR and then do Scenarios.  Keep retaking the Kill 10 in RvR quests that gives like 1000 xp a pop and like 6.5 silver.
schild
Administrator

Reply #150 on: September 10, 2008, 12:27:10 PM

Its worth getting rank 2 before you do that I think schild, just so you have the option to grab the very first set of renown gear.

Quest gear and the opportunity to get low level blues, greens and purples are worth more than the reknown gear.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:47 PM

Yeah but it takes all of like 5 minutes to get rank 2, I find that I almost always have a gap or two that it can fill.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: September 10, 2008, 12:46:49 PM

I did just fine joining scenarios as level 1 fresh of character creation.  You wont be able to solo anyone but if you follow the crowd theres no reason you can't contribute meaningfully.  You'll also be about lvl 3 after one scenario.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: September 10, 2008, 12:51:32 PM

or, why should I play Mythic's copy of the WoW battlegroup and get stomped on as a newb when I can play the World of Warcraft version with my maxed out character? 

If you enjoy WoW, play WoW.  Those of us that found WoW pvp unfun and unbalanced, may find WAR a better fit.  More options mean that we all win. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: September 10, 2008, 01:02:58 PM

PQ's to level 8, then PvP scenarios.  If I'm sick of PQ's, I'll open RvR while I wait for my PvP scenario queue.

Anyone else hate the greenskin pvp scenario as much as I do?  (The one with the flags on 2 levels of a brokwn fortress).

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: September 10, 2008, 01:14:17 PM

PQ's to level 8, then PvP scenarios.  If I'm sick of PQ's, I'll open RvR while I wait for my PvP scenario queue.

Anyone else hate the greenskin pvp scenario as much as I do?  (The one with the flags on 2 levels of a brokwn fortress).

You talking about "The gate"?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: September 10, 2008, 01:15:31 PM

If you enjoy WoW, play WoW.  Those of us that found WoW pvp unfun and unbalanced, may find WAR a better fit.  More options mean that we all win.  
I think he meant that it would be the thinking of WoW PvPers arriving in WAR - why play something that's similar to what you already like, but get owned instead. Which I can't answer, because I've not played WAR yet. Or PvP'ed in WoW. So. smiley

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: September 10, 2008, 01:29:43 PM

Yeah but it takes all of like 5 minutes to get rank 2, I find that I almost always have a gap or two that it can fill.

I hit RR 2.5 doing the cannon pve quest in empire.

Ah, I love that the game bugs out randomly and gives you reknown in pve.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: September 10, 2008, 01:42:55 PM

I've noticed it occasionally giving me a bit of renown (no k, people) when healing in PVE if I'm flagged.

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: September 10, 2008, 01:43:04 PM

You sure you didn't just get renown because your realm conquered the zone?  Cuz that happens.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #160 on: September 10, 2008, 02:11:26 PM

You sure you didn't just get renown because your realm conquered the zone?  Cuz that happens.

This.

If you realm conquers the zone you get a significant amount of Renown no matter what you are doing.  My first character, at level 2ish (maybe 3) went from 0 RR to 2.5 RR because the zone was conquered.

My second character (a squig herder) never had the zone captured, and thus was at 0 RR when I started attempting to pvp with it (around level 10ish).

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: September 10, 2008, 02:18:50 PM

I did just fine joining scenarios as level 1 fresh of character creation.  You wont be able to solo anyone but if you follow the crowd theres no reason you can't contribute meaningfully.  You'll also be about lvl 3 after one scenario.

I started doing scenarios at level 4. I did just fine as long as stayed with a group. Also most times been in scenarios there seems to be a few 11's then a good mix of other levels. But on that note I couldn't do squat against the 11's if there was a healer with em so just switched targets or ran away when saw em coming.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: September 10, 2008, 02:19:36 PM

I'm sure about my thing. It was the normal trickle of 1-2 RPs that you get from healing, not the YOU WIN +200 thing. Kildy's, yeah, that was probably it. He's not the most observant guy anyway.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: September 10, 2008, 02:23:51 PM

I've noticed it occasionally giving me a bit of renown (no k, people) when healing in PVE if I'm flagged.

Could you have been healing someone that engaged in PvP with the enemy?  I was doing a PQ the other night and some Destruction guys would come in when people were distracted and get them to attack them or go for RvR flagged people.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: September 10, 2008, 02:40:48 PM

My recollection is that it happened when I was flagged, not my target. I think it was a random little glitch, most of the time, it doesn't happen.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: September 10, 2008, 02:46:48 PM

If you enjoy WoW, play WoW.  Those of us that found WoW pvp unfun and unbalanced, may find WAR a better fit.  More options mean that we all win.  
I think he meant that it would be the thinking of WoW PvPers arriving in WAR - why play something that's similar to what you already like, but get owned instead. Which I can't answer, because I've not played WAR yet. Or PvP'ed in WoW. So. smiley

If that's the case, I think the statement is still valid.  People that enjoy WoW should play WoW.  I think WAR's target audience will be people that aren't enjoying WoW anymore or in my case, never really enjoyed the focus of WoW pvp at all.  I apologize to slog if my comment slighted him in any way.  It wasn't my intention. 

-  Mark Twain
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: September 10, 2008, 03:30:38 PM

What about going PvP-lite? I mean, I want to participate in RvR, but I don't want to roll up my sleeves and get psyched up for a ROCKIN NIGHT OF ASS WHUPPING WAAAAURGH!!! If I could contribute economically, that would be more my speed. But could I, say, make a character that just kinda hangs out in a keep and heals people or buffs them?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: September 10, 2008, 04:03:35 PM

Yeah I hate that one. It's like being dumped into a box only just big enough to fit us all in. It especially sucks as a runepriest. I go straight to the human lands when I want to do scenarios now.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: September 10, 2008, 05:11:58 PM

If that's the case, I think the statement is still valid.  People that enjoy WoW should play WoW.  I think WAR's target audience will be people that aren't enjoying WoW anymore or in my case, never really enjoyed the focus of WoW pvp at all.  I apologize to slog if my comment slighted him in any way.  It wasn't my intention. 

Not insulted.

But that audience you described is me exactly.  I cancelled my WoW sub a few months ago after one too many losses to Warrior/Druid in the 2v2 bracket.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: September 10, 2008, 06:13:13 PM

Yeah I hate that one. It's like being dumped into a box only just big enough to fit us all in. It especially sucks as a runepriest. I go straight to the human lands when I want to do scenarios now.

Barracks, Fortress, Lighthouse ftw!

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: September 10, 2008, 06:23:59 PM

Barracks, Fortress, Lighthouse ftw!

You can completely win this map without even taking the barracks or lighthouse, but by simply just holding the Fort.  Unless they up the amount of points you get for the barracks and lighthouse.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: September 10, 2008, 07:17:59 PM

Heh, that's the one I like.  I hate the one you like...it's alot of running around and doing nothing, then two zergs eventually run into each other.  I find it to be a painfully inferior version of arathi basin.  The gates of ekrund on the other hand is made of tons of action and win.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: September 10, 2008, 07:19:39 PM

is every iteration of pvp in this game some form of capture the flag?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #173 on: September 10, 2008, 07:39:09 PM

Uhm, none of them are really Capture the Flag...

Unless you play it differently.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #174 on: September 10, 2008, 09:19:53 PM

Actually had two huge groups fighting over Mandred's Hold (Troll Country Keep) With about even numbers. Great fun, gained a level and 2 realm ranks in about an hour. Keep guards/Lord have been substantially buffed, making taking keeps a much harder undertaking. Pretty much if it's defended, you're fucked.

Destro made it to the second level once, and got smoked. It was fairly even in skill between the sides, though once there were more than 100 people it became a laggy mess.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  
Jump to: