Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  (Read 115650 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: September 10, 2008, 09:43:37 PM

You sit at a flag until it's captured. ok so it's not traditional "capture the flag" like grabbing it and bringing it back to your base but from what i've seen of rvr and the scenario's it's all some version of "sit here for X amount of time"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 10, 2008, 09:46:42 PM

Well thats pretty much even what real war is.. either protect x from y or attack x and take y from z.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: September 10, 2008, 10:14:33 PM

Well thats pretty much even what real war is.. either protect x from y or attack x and take y from z.

Uh...maybe when you boil it down to it's most basic components sure but for some reason I think I was looking for more. No vehicles just stationary dps batteries, no destructible environments just keep doors. All there is in the game(in my limited experience) is sitting on flags or killing a keep lord and sitting in a keep. Yes the actual player vs player part is fun but for a game so highly about pvp i was just expecting a bit more than sitting on flags.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:42 AM

Uh...maybe when you boil it down to it's most basic components sure but for some reason I think I was looking for more. No vehicles just stationary dps batteries, no destructible environments just keep doors. All there is in the game(in my limited experience) is sitting on flags or killing a keep lord and sitting in a keep. Yes the actual player vs player part is fun but for a game so highly about pvp i was just expecting a bit more than sitting on flags.

While there is none of what you describe, there is more variation in the higher Tier scenarios, for example: In tier 2 Stone troll crossing the group must capture an item and use it to 3 different locations.  I think the Elder Beta NDA is still up so I can't talk about the level 40 scenarios. 
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:14 AM

One of my favorite is the one where one team must capture a ball, and then the other has to "take" it from the guy holding it on the other team.  You only really gain points while holding the ball... and if you try to hide out of combat the ball starts killing you.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #180 on: September 11, 2008, 06:26:34 AM

Quest gear and the opportunity to get low level blues, greens and purples are worth more than the reknown gear.
I started dabbling with scenarios from level 2... then would just queue up for them while doing some random PvE as it's nice change of pace. Hit renown rank 11 together with level 11, renown gear at that rank kinda makes the quest rewards for my level look like vendor food.

But then in the 9 out of 10 or so PQs i tried in early levels i was regularly placed 6th when there's 5 loot bags handed out, and just once got some green gloves that the renown gear put to shame couple scenarios later. So guess that's varying mileage and all that  why so serious?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: September 11, 2008, 07:42:05 AM

For the first Tier I'm going to quest until the first PQ then sit in the PQ until my influence maxes out and do Scenarios every chance I get.  Because you can queue from anywhere and you get tossed back to where you left after the game I can just sit in the two areas.

Once I outlevel that PQ I'll start questing towards the next one and do the same.  Then when I hit rank 9 or 10 I'll do some open RVR stuff.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: September 11, 2008, 08:31:53 AM

i recently found out that if you just go to a PQ area and AFK, you still get xp and whatnot.  I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: September 11, 2008, 08:48:35 AM

For the first Tier I'm going to quest until the first PQ then sit in the PQ until my influence maxes out
Takes doing the PQ 2-3 times to max out the influence, at least the early ones. So not really much sitting in it awesome, for real
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: September 11, 2008, 09:00:40 AM

For the first Tier I'm going to quest until the first PQ then sit in the PQ until my influence maxes out
Takes doing the PQ 2-3 times to max out the influence, at least the early ones. So not really much sitting in it awesome, for real

It is if you're doing scenarios every 8 minutes or so.  I did it in the first PW and I took me a while to fill up my influence.  Though it depends on how fast your queue's are hitting.

Edit:
you're, your whatever.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:59:53 PM by Draegan »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: September 11, 2008, 09:18:42 AM

Ahh; yeah if you take the breaks in the middle of it then can see it. I'd do the PQ couple times without interrupt (so that i'd actually have some chance to get that loot bag) and then did the scenario queue doing the regular solo quests.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:33 AM

I just have to say, the past 2 nights i have played, on the server i am on, PQ are dead (the dual sided ones, or ones off the batten path), scenarios take forever to cue up, and the RvR zones are vacant in tier one.

Foreshadowing?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: September 11, 2008, 10:20:15 AM

Instead of impeding doom it might be that people aren't bothering to play characters that are going to get wiped tomorrow.

And did you try all 3 Qs? Empire vs Chaos is by far the fastest on Chrace. I've zone hopped to Q all three at once and EvC always pops first.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: September 11, 2008, 10:20:57 AM

I just have to say, the past 2 nights i have played, on the server i am on, PQ are dead (the dual sided ones, or ones off the batten path), scenarios take forever to cue up, and the RvR zones are vacant in tier one.

Foreshadowing?

PQ's get old.  They're better than all the runaround quests, but still only really done for the rewards.  Open RvR in the first tier is all about getting people to overextend, so it's not very exciting either.  I think you'll see people rushing to the endgame in WAR with few lingering in the lower tiers.  The stickiness is all going to hinge on the delivery of the late game PvP.   Since this is really learned MMO behavior, I'm not really saying anything you all don't already know.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: September 11, 2008, 10:21:10 AM

Instead of impeding doom it might be that people aren't bothering to play characters that are going to get wiped tomorrow.

And did you try all 3 Qs? Empire vs Chaos is by far the fastest on Chrace. I've zone hopped to Q all three at once and EvC always pops first.

Yes.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #190 on: September 11, 2008, 10:46:03 AM

PQ's get old.  They're better than all the runaround quests, but still only really done for the rewards.  Open RvR in the first tier is all about getting people to overextend, so it's not very exciting either.  I think you'll see people rushing to the endgame in WAR with few lingering in the lower tiers.  The stickiness is all going to hinge on the delivery of the late game PvP.   Since this is really learned MMO behavior, I'm not really saying anything you all don't already know.  

Does it frighten anyone else that the late game is still under NDA?

I know, I know.. I'm just a hater.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: September 11, 2008, 10:48:22 AM

I don't think it makes you a hater at all.  Looking at past history, the biggest knock against the release of DAoC was the lack of content at the endgame.  That alone would give any experienced gamer cause for at least a little hesitancy. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:23:56 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:15 AM

Please, the DAOC endgame was complete, balanced, and fun! And the dragons later were a well tuned challenge that made everyone happy. And if you couldn't kill it you just sucked, FORDEL.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: September 11, 2008, 11:27:27 AM

It's the main reason I'm not buying.  I don't like the newbie game (obviously) and the end game is under NDA the DAY BEFORE RELEASE.

According to the Mark Jacobs scale, that means trouble.   

Note: This doesn't mean I'm not buying the game EVAH!!.  I'm just going to wait a month or 2 and see how things play out.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #194 on: September 11, 2008, 11:42:15 AM

Wait, what? The endgame is still under NDA? I need to re-read that 'we dropped it' statement.

I'll go so far as to say it was all tested, and what I saw was the same as the first 2 tiers.. just different/ more abilities to play with and some classs balances shifted.  If you don't like the first 20 levels, don't even think of buying.  The game doesn't get any different.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #195 on: September 11, 2008, 11:47:04 AM

Yeah I hate that one. It's like being dumped into a box only just big enough to fit us all in. It especially sucks as a runepriest. I go straight to the human lands when I want to do scenarios now.

Barracks, Fortress, Lighthouse ftw!

You can completely win this map without even taking the barracks or lighthouse, but by simply just holding the Fort.  Unless they up the amount of points you get for the barracks and lighthouse.

they tweaked it.  It used to be that simply holding on to the fort was an auto win.  Now the point accumulation is effected more heavily by the numbers of people your side is killing.  If you just hold up in the fort while the other team has lighthouse and barracks, and picks your people off as they run up to fort you will lose.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: September 11, 2008, 01:14:06 PM

Wait, what? The endgame is still under NDA? I need to re-read that 'we dropped it' statement.

I'll go so far as to say it was all tested, and what I saw was the same as the first 2 tiers.. just different/ more abilities to play with and some classs balances shifted.  If you don't like the first 20 levels, don't even think of buying.  The game doesn't get any different.

They dropped it except for content only seen on the elder servers (the NDA'd from the rest of the beta crew)

The only people who have seen city raids and the overall realm war mechanism in action are in that category. I will happily forum spam when they lift that. A month after release or something.  Ohhhhh, I see.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #197 on: September 11, 2008, 01:19:26 PM

May be.  But nothing quite screams "We have something to hide!" like, well, hiding stuff does.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: September 11, 2008, 01:23:59 PM

May be.  But nothing quite screams "We have something to hide!" like, well, hiding stuff does.

While I have enjoyed the game thus far, and been optimistic, this weeks shenanigans have moved me more toward the "fail" column.  Between the European Beta issues and annoying bugs they assured us would be fixed but are still omnipresent, the general feeling I get is "this is rushed."  Folks like me who enjoy the gameplay will join, but I can't imagine it appealing to the broader community in its current state.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #199 on: September 11, 2008, 01:32:55 PM

I'm with you on bugs but the Euro Beta issue is a classic contractor failure. I would think that GOA is likely in extremely hot water right now and can't afford much in the way of mistakes if they want any more future business from Mythic.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #200 on: September 11, 2008, 01:35:37 PM

I'm with you on bugs but the Euro Beta issue is a classic contractor failure. I would think that GOA is likely in extremely hot water right now and can't afford much in the way of mistakes if they want any more future business from Mythic.

Didn't Mythic use GOA for DAoC and have similar results?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #201 on: September 11, 2008, 02:00:48 PM

I can't think of any single events that were meltdowns on this scale - there was a fairly constant level of complaining from the Euros about this and that but I don't think it was more than the usual level of complaint that customers have about any given MMO service provider. I don't have direct experience with them though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #202 on: September 11, 2008, 03:33:55 PM

Didn't Mythic use GOA for DAoC and have similar results?

Yes.  However, the deal was signed with GOA before EA bought up Mythic.  I'd be surprised if daddy EA allows such a thing to happen again.  If Mythic beats History and lasts long enough to do another project, that is.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #203 on: September 11, 2008, 03:35:04 PM

Ah, you're worried about game breaking bugs and stuff.  That I can't speak on, as I didn't do enough of the City vs City stuff to break the NDA on anyway.  The game had gotten stale for me by then as it's incredibly shallow.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #204 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:30 PM

I can't think of any single events that were meltdowns on this scale - there was a fairly constant level of complaining from the Euros about this and that but I don't think it was more than the usual level of complaint that customers have about any given MMO service provider. I don't have direct experience with them though.

All I remember is that when I hear GOA I think "isn't that that company that all the euros bitched and moaned about in DAoC?"

Which is really kinda sad, because I should probably think of India.  Or trance music.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #205 on: September 11, 2008, 03:49:11 PM

Ah, you're worried about game breaking bugs and stuff.  That I can't speak on, as I didn't do enough of the City vs City stuff to break the NDA on anyway.  The game had gotten stale for me by then as it's incredibly shallow.

No, I'm thinking that despite all the praise of Mythic's beta process, very few people have been handed the game at level 1 and told "okay, go for it, play the full thing from 1 to 40 and see if it's fun".  And of those people, Mythic has decided for some reason to gag them.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #206 on: September 11, 2008, 04:03:45 PM

No reason to worry about it.  Like I said, I did it and if you like 1-20, 20-40 is more of the same.  It just takes longer.  I can't say HOW much longer for certain, but I don't think it's horrible.

Whether or not it's fun is subjective.  I find the PvE really, really boring.  We're talking DAoC levels of boring.  However, since you can PVP frequently to break that up AND level doing it, perhaps it's not so bad.  I preferred to play WoW to repetitively grind dailies and battleground over the WAR beta if I wanted to get my MMO on.  Others think I'm crazy for doing so.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #207 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:20 PM

Why must they piss me off at the beginning of every play session by making scroll down, click a box, then click a button?  Twice.  I hated that in DAoC and I'm not happy it's here too.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #208 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:04 PM

Why must they piss me off at the beginning of every play session by making scroll down, click a box, then click a button?  Twice.  I hated that in DAoC and I'm not happy it's here too.

Woo, it's not just me that hates that!

God Save the Horn Players
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:49 AM

Is it me or did they up the levelling requirements bigtime? my chosen feels like he's been 10 a looong time now and the quests already dried up in the level 11-12 area.
The xp from mob grinding and all pvp xp was fairly heavily nerfed, the xp from quests was increased slightly.

Uggh. Sounds like they are aiming at their loyalist supporters. My friend has been in beta for almost a year an loved levellining off pvp. If they nerf that he's gonna freak cause he's already burned out on the pve quests and refuses to do them.

This is so feeling like Daoc2. At least then they didnt nerf exp gain until they'd sold a lot of boxes. I guess they have more confidence in predicting people will stay around this time.

Oh ya, my friend also mentioned in passing you can get repeatable quests that you can do in the open pvp areas as well. Probably a bit difficult to complete most of them even with the auto leveling to 8 though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:45:28 AM by Phred »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  
Jump to: