Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  (Read 169099 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: June 26, 2011, 12:28:17 PM

So if I start on this Golden Valley server and then decide to sub, do I take my character with me to one of the premium servers?

Which premium server should I go to? Which one are you on, TGR?

Bloodworth, your registration is currently down. It throws up this message:

"Phase one registration failed:
Key: error
Entry: An error occured when sending the mail: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25. No account was reserved."
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #316 on: June 26, 2011, 01:36:03 PM

I'm on the first premium server, i.e. I haven't moved to wild yet. I forget its name offhand.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:41 PM

I recently tried this after reading one of Raph's blogs about sandbox implimentation.  I think it looks like an interesting game, and there is clearly a lot of depth to it.  The targeting however was simply abysmal.  Oh and I never did figure out fighting either, so when I met up with a ferocious adolesent bear it ended up wiping the floor with me before I was able to even take a swing against it.

Another problem was urban sprawl... and I mean everywhere.   Spent two hours running and was unable to cut down any trees because it wasn't permitted in owned forests  ACK!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:38:50 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #318 on: June 26, 2011, 04:35:54 PM

You should probably just take a peek at http://noizeviolation.com/wurm/Freedom_map.png and find areas of land which aren't that well visited. I haven't been back to samling since the initial starting point was up there, but it looks fairly sparsely populated right now from the map.

At least the area around dragon fang mountain and inner mountain looks packed.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:38 PM

It is a very promising sandbox. unfortunately digging dirt and carrying rocks is not exactly my idea of fun gameplay
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #320 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22:00 AM

It definitely caters to the creative people more than other types.  It's awesome when you finish a large project you've been working on, though it's tedious in the interim.  I had two toons working and that made it better.  However the upkeep on the free shard at the time broke me, and I decided I rather liked my wrists without the scars.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:51 AM

I've given it a try a few times and it just hasn't caught me early enough to want to keep playing.  I know that is part of why people like it, that it doesn't give you things for free and you need to sort of work to get/make stuff, but if it was easier to feel like I had some investment in the game early on (like a space that was very clearly defined as my own), then I'd be more likely to want to play. 

To me, the biggest competitor with Wurm is Minecraft, and I can build a decent enough wooden house in 15 minutes.   Again, I know that long term stuff in Wurm is part of the point of it all, but when I compare my experience there to my experience with something like the very first time I logged into the original F13 minecraft server, it just wasn't even close.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: June 27, 2011, 06:16:16 AM

"Phase one registration failed:
Key: error
Entry: An error occured when sending the mail: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25. No account was reserved."

Should be good to go.

Golden valley does not technically exist anymore, you can not settle there, its a tutorial only server.

Oh and I never did figure out fighting either, so when I met up with a ferocious adolesent bear it ended up wiping the floor with me before I was able to even take a swing against it.

Another problem was urban sprawl... and I mean everywhere.   Spent two hours running and was unable to cut down any trees because it wasn't permitted in owned forests  ACK!

Yeah, not sure you would have survived that bear, as for combat primer, its one of the next sections of the tutorial we are working on.

We have a few wiki articles located here:  Fighting Skill Tips and Fighting and the names of creatures are important. Animal conditions

IE: The bear you ran into:  Fierce - red, size slightly increased, increased attack speed, increased stamina, frenzies more

As always the CA chat is a great place to get questions answered. Also turn on spam mode in options, its basically a verbose combat log toggle.

As for space, Yes, our population has been growing rather rapidly and a side effect os so many free user accounts is the tend to congeal next where they start. The map is a great guide http://noizeviolation.com/wurm/Freedom_map.png, i know from my flights around the south east is less populated. I still highly recommend that if you guys are going to try this out, group together, it will increase the enjoyment 10 fold.

To me, the biggest competitor with Wurm is Minecraft

They are related.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:19:16 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:46 AM

I have formally left this project.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: September 02, 2011, 10:43:45 AM

I hope that it was by choice or for a better opportunity.  Thanks for the updates!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #325 on: September 02, 2011, 10:45:57 AM

I hope that it was by choice or for a better opportunity.  Thanks for the updates!

aye thx
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:41 AM

Yes, I left. More for some soul searching and some personal refinement reasons. Three years and a lot of lessons learned isn't a bad run. It's just time for new things.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:46 AM

Yes, I left. More for some soul searching and some personal refinement reasons. Three years and a lot of lessons learned isn't a bad run. It's just time for new things.

Glad to hear it.  Best of luck in your new endeavor!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: September 02, 2011, 11:35:40 AM

Good luck in whatever you do down the road. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: September 16, 2015, 08:45:31 AM

Arise!

Wurm to go on Steam, with the ability to play locally and server hosting:

http://www.wurmonline.com/2015/09/16/wurm-unlimited-announcement/

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:15 PM

Arise!

Wurm to go on Steam, with the ability to play locally and server hosting:

http://www.wurmonline.com/2015/09/16/wurm-unlimited-announcement/

This is now available on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220/
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:29 AM

I'll keep my eye on this. A lot of the concepts looked interesting but I didn't want to deal with internet dickheads. Now that I can play solo or with a few friends, it might be worth it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: October 22, 2015, 11:23:13 AM

I put a bunch of time into the old WURM and I have to say it's a little weird to me to split an already small player base into yet another game mode/world.   I assume they are continuing the MMO part in tandem?  Again, that seems strange.

It does alleviate the biggest problem I had with the game which was it was just too expensive.  Monthly premium + $$ plots + $$ tools just made it too much (not to mention paying for the currency conversion).

Dunno, I really did like the game so I am interested.  Then again, I'm not sure if I would enjoy playing in a completely empty world.  Part of the fun is exploring and seeing all the crazy stuff people have done.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  
Jump to: