Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  (Read 169115 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #280 on: January 14, 2011, 06:16:04 AM

Yep, I do have a coal pile ready to be lit, I'm stuck. At least the wiki isn't giving me a nice way to light the coal pile, as the campfire workaround doesn't work.

Actually, I would've thought it should be possible to make fire by banging two flints together as well, not just steel+flint, so that could be one way of giving people the ability to bootstrap themselves.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: January 14, 2011, 06:22:03 AM

That's a possibility. However, why do you not have a flint and steel? That's a noob set item. Only way to loose it is if you drop it (It does not drop on death). Drop as in right click and drop it.

Current solutions: Get one off another player (Buy/trade/beg). Check the merchants at a place like freedom market. Make one yourself (the path I think you are on).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:24:24 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:25 AM

I've probably misplaced it somewhere and I'll find it sometime later on, I'm pretty anal about having a clean inventory you see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: January 14, 2011, 06:30:06 AM

Yeah, that item, should never really leave your inv :) Steel is a high end metal. Takes quite an investment to work with it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:50 AM

I still think it should've been possible to make a poor-mans lighter by f.ex combining 2 flints, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's doing this.

Hell, if worst comes to worst I'll just go to FM and buy the damn thing, but there's literally nothing I NEED it for except to make a new one or to optimize the process of cooking other crap. I'm not playing the game (currently) to make THE BEST QUALITY ITEM EVAR, my skills suck too much for that. I just want to get shit done. If campfire is what'll be needed, so be it. vOv

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:38 AM

I still think it should've been possible to make a poor-mans lighter by f.ex combining 2 flints, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's doing this.

I don't disagree with this. However short of making the item no drop, its not like we can stop people from tossing out or loosing items. This may sound wrong but, you did it to yourself, somewhere along the way.

However ask others around you if they have a spare, or ask a PA in the PA chat. They have stockpiles of noob tools.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:34 AM

I haven't said I didn't do this onto myself, because obviously I have. I also put the shovel, pickaxe etc down when I'm not using it etc, all I think should be possible to do is to somehow bootstrap yourself up after making a fuckup such as that. It shouldn't be a gamebreaker, because in real life I'd just mash two flints together and make a fire instead. Or use kindle+woodscrap to light up an oven, etc.

As I said, if I absolutely need one I'll go buy one. I just figured I'd point out an area where you as a player will HAVE to either buy or ask someone else for resources if you fuck up and drop things which "shouldn't be dropped", and it's either stolen or you just misplace it. Or, actually, aren't the noob tools destructible if they reach 100dmg, as well? I've had a few spades lost because I've gotten lost in f.ex digging or fishing.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: January 14, 2011, 07:17:14 AM

Yeah, we addressed the others base tools a bit ago. We should look into something of that nature for flint and steel, I agree.

Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: February 04, 2011, 08:11:37 AM

curse you wurm!  Why do I keep coming back to you!  :)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:51 AM

I just started playing this last week for the first time, I'm hooked.

I'm pretty much at the point now where I'm ready to get a deed and start building something that won't disappear on me once I log off.  The only problem I'm having is how far do I have to travel before I find an area that isn't taken?  I walked around for the better part of two hours the other night and never found an area that wasn't either settled or a cliff face that I had no hope of climbing. 

I guess I just need to buy a deed and then wander around until I find something.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: February 04, 2011, 10:50:32 AM

Here is a community made map that may help.

http://gmapuploader.com/iframe/LjA1NmOy52

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: February 11, 2011, 04:14:53 PM

Gave wurm  a try last night,  it stuck in tutorial at compass part. Poked around for 30 min or so to see if I could get out  of the tutorial area -to no avail. So I gave up.

Anyways it looks much nicer than I expected . On the downsides - UI is very sucky though (and no key rebind options?), no jump also makes for bad first impression. And of course broken tutorial lol

Real question I have is what you guys using for server back end? Network stack?- Client I guess is jmonkey or something?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:40:12 PM by Dark_MadMax »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: February 11, 2011, 06:10:36 PM

I actually just went through the tutorial, and it worked fine for me. Well, fine, except for the fact the popups were annoying and the fact I couldn't skip it was annoying.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:27 AM

Gave wurm  a try last night,  it stuck in tutorial at compass part. Poked around for 30 min or so to see if I could get out  of the tutorial area -to no avail. So I gave up.

Anyways it looks much nicer than I expected . On the downsides - UI is very sucky though (and no key rebind options?), no jump also makes for bad first impression. And of course broken tutorial lol

Real question I have is what you guys using for server back end? Network stack?- Client I guess is jmonkey or something?

Broken how? How were you stuck?

Here is how to do keybinds. We are working on a fancy GUI for it. Also if you ever have an issue use /dev in the chat for ticket submission, its cross server so someone will be with you when they can.

Also, we have some brand new server hardware going up today ( maybe ) 3 Dell R410. They will have two E5620 processors, 64GB RAM and SATA disks for the OS. Then we’re adding SSD’s for the database. We expect vaporize pretty much all lag with the SSDs. We have had a rather big influx over the past few months, and are constiantly hitting the free player cap (Premium gets priority)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:08:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 04, 2011, 07:15:04 AM

A user made a nifty video of the game.

Wurm Online

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 04, 2011, 11:07:23 AM

Wurm Online

Not to be harsh, but that video would only be interesting to someone that knows the game well.  As someone that dabbled in Wurm, it struck me as "stuff you'll never have the time to make and upkeep".  Is there a video of footage that shows how fun and engaging the building is?  Combat?  Exploration?  THAT's the video that I want to watch.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:12:10 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: March 04, 2011, 02:15:00 PM

Wurm Online

Not to be harsh, but that video would only be interesting to someone that knows the game well.

Yes I know. I was happy it showed some of the new tutorial however.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: March 04, 2011, 03:12:08 PM

Broken how? How were you stuck?

Stuck at compass section .didnt do anything - didnt let me go anywhere or advance tutorial

I  created new char afterwards and played it. Good things  - reminded me of URW with survival and crafting elements. Crafting system is pretty solid.  It is not buggy. Graphics and world are pretty atmospheric

bad things  - combat is complete meh. UI is  #$&#*&% . Nothing going on in game besides building stuff (but I not gonna spend 2 month to dig a tunnel with statues  just for show).

So my suggestion is really to polish the obvious  (UI -there are open source LUA UIs - USE THEM) . and more imporatntly polish gameplay. If you making survival style crafting mmo  polish the survival part (it does not feel very survivalist compared to URW for example). Imho good combat system is a must as well more stuff to do part . But really a lot of things good combat would solve  (heck I would love play wurm if it had wow combat and the rest just like it - would sub right there )

Also, we have some brand new server hardware going up today ( maybe ) 3 Dell R410. They will have two E5620 processors, 64GB RAM and SATA disks for the OS. Then we’re adding SSD’s for the database. We expect vaporize pretty much all lag with the SSDs. We have had a rather big influx over the past few months, and are constiantly hitting the free player cap (Premium gets priority)

I  was more interested in the software /framework side. Did you guys use java for server? Any  existing libraries /frameworks? What about client? What about network stack  (custom made, java nio, something else? What about db backend? sql+hibernate? straight sql? memcachd layer?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:42 PM

Stuff..

Yeah, OK I figured that's where you got stuck. We are working on a solution. I agree, much of our stuff is exciting if you like MUD's :) Its all slated to be improved. Our client and server is java, the DB I'm not sure, net code is custom. AFAIK. Im currently focused on GUI re-skin (We need a programmer for this slot really) Player models and new animation system ( We have a New model format ), and we have been filling in the spell effects.

Thanks for the input.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Teledahn
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: March 08, 2011, 06:31:10 AM

Wurm Online

Not to be harsh, but that video would only be interesting to someone that knows the game well.  As someone that dabbled in Wurm, it struck me as "stuff you'll never have the time to make and upkeep".  Is there a video of footage that shows how fun and engaging the building is?  Combat?  Exploration?  THAT's the video that I want to watch.  

Hello, I am the video's author.  Noticed on my statistics I had some views from this forum, thanks for the crosspost MR B  awesome, for real

Anyway, thank you for your criticism.  This is the first of hopefully more videos that may showcase more in-depth features of Wurm.  This video was just meant as more of an over-arching tribute to the game and a story of my journey through Wurm the last 6 months.

I had originally wanted to include more but quickly realized that if I wanted to stay with the timing of the song I couldn't pack much in.  Also I am in no way a pro at video editing.  This is entirely self taught through 'click menu, see what happens, press undo'.  All feedback though helps me improve.  Grin
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: March 08, 2011, 07:10:00 AM

Anyway, thank you for your criticism.  This is the first of hopefully more videos that may showcase more in-depth features of Wurm.  This video was just meant as more of an over-arching tribute to the game and a story of my journey through Wurm the last 6 months.

You did a wonderful job of displaying the best aspects of the game.  My comments were more about my selfish desires as I love building games.  I'd love to see how all of that was created, under what circumstances, and the pains it took to both maintain and protect it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: March 08, 2011, 07:22:54 AM

thanks for the crosspost MR B  awesome, for real

Np, I enjoyed it :) Especially showcasing the tutorial, something I was heavily invested in making. I'm biased  tongue

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:42 PM

on GUI re-skin (We need a programmer for this slot really)
Jesus I wish I didn't think that fiddling with things like GUIs were mindnumbingly boring, or I would offer some of my time. This whole rightclick to do anything-interface has to die in a fire. I'm getting pretty sick of having to schedule 3 dig actions, only to have the third action be flatten, because the menu decided to move up one notch.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: March 15, 2011, 03:50:30 PM

Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:00 PM

Hey mr. bloodworth!  come back here and tell us about the new update!

PS - like the toolbelt look now :)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 02, 2011, 06:43:34 AM

I do like the spawn changes so far.  It's been nice having things actually around in the woods and not needing to wander for 3 hours when I need a fur or something.   It seems like hunting is actually viable now as a food source for meals rather than having to fish all the time.   I'm not sure how the bears got into my mine through the mine door but that was a fun surprise.

Also the new item models look great.  The weapon racks in particular are a really nice addition.  Here's hoping for armor/shield racks ;)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:25 AM

Heh, notch caused our web server to suffer with his tweet powers.  awesome, for real

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: May 02, 2011, 07:22:59 PM

Has fun been patched into this worldy builder game?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: June 23, 2011, 08:23:35 AM

Rather proud of this, we have a New particle system, as well as some lighting FX now!

Candle and Candelabra FX

Torch Flame FX

The new tutorial seems to be a hit ( As evidenced by the new population numbers, and failure to complete rates as well as the number of common questions going down for new users ) we clearly have more work to do there though. The Server upgrade went really well. I am currently in the middle of revamping all consumable crop items, leading to 3d crop graphics in the field later. Recent Adjustments to MOB spawning rates and caps have lead to a much more varied wildlife and many more things to hunt.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:27:32 AM by Mrbloodworth »

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #309 on: June 23, 2011, 08:39:12 AM

Nice work. Maybe I'll have to try it again with the new tutorial.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #310 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:17 PM

So I'm assuming that if I try this on the PvP server I'm going to get a beatdown? 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:50 PM

I would not recommend it. Not right off the bat.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #312 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:12 PM

Looking great.  I need a new PC, but I plan to play this.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:42 PM

Looks very nice.  I'm curious, though, what are the plans on upgrading the character models?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: June 24, 2011, 05:48:22 AM

We are developing the tech to be able to do so, like the particle system, it needs to be written from scratch or at least example.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  
Jump to: