Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186375 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4060 on: January 12, 2018, 02:36:46 AM

So what IS the console of choice these days ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4061 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:14 AM

Switch or PS4 (regular, not Pro).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4062 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:55 AM

Why not Pro ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4063 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:13 PM

Basically Sony left it up to each developer/publisher how they want to support the more powerful hardware in the Pro. And the extra hardware in the Pro is not powerful enough to real native 4K at locked 30fps or 60fps for the most demanding graphics titles that do support 4k so compromises have to be made in various ways (less resolution upscaled or checkerboarding, FPS not locked, etc.). And 1080p users don't necessarily benefit from a better experience either. So if you care about this sort of thing you have to research each game you are thinking about getting to see whether or not it supports 4k or runs better at 1080p and what that experience might be like.

Digital Foundry is the best source I found for a technical examination of how games run on the PS4 Pro but they only examine a small subset of them:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalFoundry/search?query=ps4+pro

Other references:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/5/15684152/playstation-4-pro-interview (state of the Pro back in June, not actually an interview)
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/235274-how-sonys-playstation-4-pro-does-4k-without-delivering-4k
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkerboard_rendering
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4064 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:16 PM

I would've bought a PS4 for the games, but I prefer the MS controller. Yes, I'm aware there are ways around that.

Still, apart from PS exclusives (which are enough to warrant buying the PS4 imo), the xbone is a solid machine that does what a console needs to do. Xbone S if you go that way.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4065 on: January 12, 2018, 02:07:59 PM

I like my PS4 well enough but haven't compared vs the Xbone.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4066 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:44 AM

No one is buying Xboxen, from what I gather.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4067 on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:36 AM

No one is buying Xboxen, from what I gather.
Gather skill -1

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4068 on: January 19, 2018, 02:14:47 PM

That's because everyone already has a PS4, jackass. awesome, for real

Why would MS give a Xbox to Terry Crews that had both his name and his face on it? Because they need to sell a few units and are scraping the fuck out of that barrel.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4069 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:03 PM

I honestly struggle to think of one game that I'd need to buy the Xbox One for - the latest Forza games are the only ones that come to mind. However, now that I have Gran Turismo Sport on the PS4, Forza has no draw.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4070 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:23 PM

If you have a decent gaming PC there's almost no reason to get an Xbox One cause all the newest Microsoft games like Forza are on both.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4071 on: January 21, 2018, 12:44:11 PM

I'm just curious about the people still buying a 360 or PS3.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4072 on: January 21, 2018, 12:56:55 PM

I've actually thought about getting a PS3 on the cheap just to grab some games I've missed but nothing has been so monumental that I have to go out and do it right this minute.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4073 on: January 21, 2018, 08:15:23 PM

The Switch has a fine lineup, but you've played literally all of it before. The Switch, also, I would not call a home console. It shines as a portable unit.

The PS4/Pro is the best box for just games.

The Xbox is a fucking joke and Microsoft should kill it. But if you really want to watch 4k Blu-Rays, the XboneS or whatever is your only option among the consoles.

tl;dr: This console generation is the exact same as EVERY OTHER GENERATION since the PlayStation first came out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4074 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:12 AM

I've actually been really happy with my PS4 but I can say this generation is really the first console generation where there seems to be literally no reason to own every single console unless you are just OCD and have to have everything. Platform exclusives are so rare nowadays and I'm not sure there's enough of a difference in hardware for one to matter over the other. The Switch's portable option seems a neat trick but again unless you are a big Zelda or Mario fan, there's not much of a library for it to push it over a PS4 or Xbone.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4075 on: January 24, 2018, 03:35:53 PM

Is anyone using a curved display for gaming? How is it? Does it distort/confuse the picture on the sides?

Something like this:     https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4076 on: January 25, 2018, 08:02:27 AM

Is anyone using a curved display for gaming? How is it? Does it distort/confuse the picture on the sides?

Something like this:     https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO
If you sit at the focal point, it actually removes the distortion you have learned to ignore on flat screens. If you sit considerable closer or farther than that, no so much, but still no worse than a flat screen.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4077 on: January 26, 2018, 03:49:24 AM

So. I am baffled.

I upgraded to a Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB.
I used to use a rather old Flatscreen TV (Telefunken brand, an old German manufactor that has been sold to some Turkish company and ceased to do any customer support at all) as my monitor via HDMI. There was the odd bug that I would only be able to boot up my PC when the HDMI cable was not connected to said TV, I could connect tit just fine once I got past the first windows screen.
Now. With my new Geforce card I run into a different problem. I can see my desktop on the TV but for some reason the TV itself does not seem to be able to detect that it is actually connected so I get a rather annoying pop up on the screen telling me the device is going to shut down in 5:00 minutes.
I'll try to rephrase that to make it more clear.

TLDR: I try to connect an old TV via HDMI to my PC and the TV does not detect the connection, but it displays the desktop just fine before shutting down after 5 minutes.

Any ideas ? German television is garbage so I have no other use for that thing. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4078 on: January 27, 2018, 06:03:06 AM

Might be the cable, I had a similar ssue with a Dell monitor at work and it was the cheap minidisplay port cable they shipped with the monitor.

Telefunken used to make the best reel to reel tape recorders  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4079 on: January 28, 2018, 11:47:38 AM

My PC's power button appears to be dying; turning the PC on requires me to kinda wiggle the button and press several times to get it to boot up. Is this a replacable part, generally, or should I look into buying a new case? Are there any ways of booting a PC without using the power button?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4080 on: January 28, 2018, 11:59:11 AM

The mechanism behind the button might be replaceable but it depends on how "custom" your case is (i.e. whether or not it uses a non-standard switch). You can also get a replacement generic switch and just bypass the button on the case. Some motherboards also have a setting in BIOS to power on via the keyboard. Otherwise in an emergency you can short the two power switch pins on the motherboard header yourself with a screwdriver, paperclip, etc.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4081 on: January 28, 2018, 02:01:26 PM

So. I am baffled.

I upgraded to a Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB.
I used to use a rather old Flatscreen TV (Telefunken brand, an old German manufactor that has been sold to some Turkish company and ceased to do any customer support at all) as my monitor via HDMI. There was the odd bug that I would only be able to boot up my PC when the HDMI cable was not connected to said TV, I could connect tit just fine once I got past the first windows screen.
Now. With my new Geforce card I run into a different problem. I can see my desktop on the TV but for some reason the TV itself does not seem to be able to detect that it is actually connected so I get a rather annoying pop up on the screen telling me the device is going to shut down in 5:00 minutes.
I'll try to rephrase that to make it more clear.

TLDR: I try to connect an old TV via HDMI to my PC and the TV does not detect the connection, but it displays the desktop just fine before shutting down after 5 minutes.

Any ideas ? German television is garbage so I have no other use for that thing. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It depends what you want to run on your PC and display on your TV, but I picked up a cheap second-hand Alienware Alpha R1 as a secondary machine to use with my TV. It is a small gaming PC that looks like a console, designed to be connected to a TV. It's good at running games released up until about a year ago, so I found lots of people were selling them in order to upgrade. I sometimes also do my work from home on it. I added a Roccat Sova couch gaming keyboard. Cost me a few hundred bucks all up, and leaves my other PC in a more office-like environment in another room.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:06:48 PM by Tale »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4082 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:28 PM

I added a Roccat Sova couch gaming keyboard.
Oooo....

I was wondering why nobody had made one yet. I probably should've invented that 15 years ago! Though I am pretty used to them being separate.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4083 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:32 AM

Might be the cable, I had a similar ssue with a Dell monitor at work and it was the cheap minidisplay port cable they shipped with the monitor.

Telefunken used to make the best reel to reel tape recorders  why so serious?
Tried different cables, no luck. I connected an Amazon Fire stick, just for testing purposes, same "no sognal detected" message.
Deactivated and then reactivated all avaible Sources in the OSD-menu and now at least the fire stick works.
Weird.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4084 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:11 PM

Where do we stand on password managers at the moment? It looks like 1Password shifted to cloud based storage from what I can see, wondering if there are better alternatives but also trying to get an easy to use program to keep my family using it too.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4085 on: June 11, 2018, 05:15:13 PM

What's wrong with cloud-based storage? The 1Password password file is encrypted so even if they somehow got into the cloud storage account it'll take a substantial level of work (like NSA-level) to unencrypt your password file assuming you didn't use a weak password.

I'm still using older non-subscription 1Password versions (OS X, Windows, iOS, Android) with Dropbox as the shared storage mechanism so I can't really help you on alternatives. I do check every once in a while but haven't heard of anything better.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4086 on: June 11, 2018, 05:20:21 PM

Where do we stand on password managers at the moment? It looks like 1Password shifted to cloud based storage from what I can see, wondering if there are better alternatives but also trying to get an easy to use program to keep my family using it too.
I've started using Google Auth for 2FA on everything that supports it. If it involves money and doesn't support it, it's a reminder to use payment methods that can't tap my bank account directly. Squarecash, usually (it informs me immediately of every transaction).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4087 on: June 11, 2018, 06:57:09 PM

Thanks both. I'm using 2FA for anything that offers it. I just need to get a secure handle on all my passwords.

It looks like 1Password is now a subscription only service and works somewhat like LastPass, which has had a few notable security flaws over the last few years. However, it looks like 1Password hasn't had the same flaws come to light yet. I'm just being cheap and don't want to pay a sub. :/
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4088 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:12 AM

I still use KeePass.  It's free but there's no mobile or cloud support (at least that I'm aware of), I back it up to manually.

Works great though.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4089 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:37 PM

If you have iOS devices, Codebook (was Strip Password Manager previously) is pretty awesome in terms of usability. It has a Windows/Mac client that you get like 5 installs for if you buy a license (separate from the few bucks for the iphone version). It can sync via wifi, dropbox, and google drive.

I have been using it for probably 4 years now and like it a lot overall.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4090 on: July 11, 2018, 06:29:28 AM

So, question for anybody who may know.

I just built myself a new PC (wooo).  I made sure to link my Windows 10 installation to my Microsoft account on the old machine, and have the actual product key written down as well.  However, I apparently forgot to deactivate my old installation on the old machine (boo) before I ripped it apart and formatted the drive.  I have 10 installed on this new rig, but it informs me they cannot activate it (obviously still letting me use it for the time being).  They wont take my product key, and even though I'm logged in under my Microsoft account, wont recognize my digital licence.  When I hit the option that says 'made hardware changes recently', it shows my old PC.  If I tell it that 'that's the device I'm currently using' (which is literally my only option I can choose) it errors out and says it can't activate. 

So, question is, if I forgot to deactivate my install on the old machine that is now dead and gone, is there any way to get Microsoft to transfer my active windows 10 licence to the new machine?  1.)  Hoping there is a way to do it without having to get on the phone with MS tech support for 5 hours from Laos.  2.)  Want to know ahead of time if MS will just tell me to fuck off in this situation anyways before I get on the phone with them for 5 hours.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4091 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:05 AM

MS was a cunt about my reinstall on a new drive in the SAME MACHINE. So I just bought a new copy of W10, because it cost less than my time trying to get them to understand something so simple.

I'm sure that's the plan, anyway.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4092 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:45 AM

So, question for anybody who may know.

I just built myself a new PC (wooo).  I made sure to link my Windows 10 installation to my Microsoft account on the old machine, and have the actual product key written down as well.  However, I apparently forgot to deactivate my old installation on the old machine (boo) before I ripped it apart and formatted the drive.  I have 10 installed on this new rig, but it informs me they cannot activate it (obviously still letting me use it for the time being).  They wont take my product key, and even though I'm logged in under my Microsoft account, wont recognize my digital licence.  When I hit the option that says 'made hardware changes recently', it shows my old PC.  If I tell it that 'that's the device I'm currently using' (which is literally my only option I can choose) it errors out and says it can't activate. 

So, question is, if I forgot to deactivate my install on the old machine that is now dead and gone, is there any way to get Microsoft to transfer my active windows 10 licence to the new machine?  1.)  Hoping there is a way to do it without having to get on the phone with MS tech support for 5 hours from Laos.  2.)  Want to know ahead of time if MS will just tell me to fuck off in this situation anyways before I get on the phone with them for 5 hours.

I haven't had to in a while, but the times I've had to call Microsoft tech support over an activation issue usually was completed promptly. Like maybe five minutes tops -- they had the process streamlined pretty well.

That said, this was before Windows 10, so maybe they're being pricks about it now.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4093 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:35 PM

I believe if you read the fine print, individually licensed copies of Windows are not transferable between computers. At least that was the case with previous versions. Not sure what the fuck is up with Windows 10.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4094 on: July 13, 2018, 04:49:04 AM

Yeah, I'm getting info all over the place on that when I google.  Hypothetically, you can deactivate your current install of windows via command line.  Then when you go to install onto a new machine, it will activate.  But I forgot to do that before I killed my old machine, and even on that I'm seeing mixed info.  Oh well, weekends here, I'll have time to give them a call and see whats what.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: