Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: A heavy update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A heavy update  (Read 43204 times)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 20, 2008, 05:39:35 PM

Wow. I love the new payload map. Much less cramped than Goldrush.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #71 on: August 20, 2008, 11:23:14 PM

I'm really liking cp_steel.  All the interconnected bits are  Heart.

2 hours in, 15 achievements, which means I've got sandvich.  I swear I haven't run out of minigun ammo once while I was carrying a shotgun, but now that I don't have it any more it seems like every other turn I'm switching over to that slot looking for a gun and coming up with a snack instead.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 02:37:12 AM

I'm really liking cp_steel.  All the interconnected bits are  Heart.

2 hours in, 15 achievements, which means I've got sandvich.  I swear I haven't run out of minigun ammo once while I was carrying a shotgun, but now that I don't have it any more it seems like every other turn I'm switching over to that slot looking for a gun and coming up with a snack instead.

Yeah, I was playing dustbowl last night, defending on the last dustbowl segment. I ran out of ammo clearing the underground hallway, ran up the stairs and was confronted with my pyro nemesis on the other side. Having a sandvich instead of a shotgun (got the shotgun achieve on an earlier segment), I switched to fists, taunted and just barely managed to kill him with my POW fingers before being roasted alive.

It was pretty DRILLING AND MANLINESS and the chat scroll went wild over the kill.

Later on in that game I got the critical-punch achievement off the same guy in essentially the same manner. Seeing him ragdoll-fly down towards my team with just one punch was hilarious.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 06:11:49 AM

As I suspected, the sandwich is too slow to be useful. The shotgun far outweighs it for being able to fire on the move.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:25 AM

Badwater Basin defense= utterly badass for spies.  I got first by over 20 points in a pub my first Badwater round, and I didn't even know the layout of the map that well.  So so many little alcoves for a defensive spy to hide in, come out of, and devastate half the offense. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #75 on: August 21, 2008, 10:11:08 AM

Heart Badwater Basin. Haven't tried the other maps, but that one is fun. I only played as a heavy but I can see how that one will be a lot of fun for most classes. Having the payload game be all in one self-contained map helped a lot.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #76 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:55 AM

Oh, I confirmed last night that heavies drop sandviches and that picking them up gets you health.  I mowed down a snacking heavy in one of the vents on ctf_turbine, and picked up 50 health while running over his bullet-riddled carcass.  Not sure if it scales according to your own max health or not.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:28 AM

Unlocker still works.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #78 on: August 22, 2008, 10:11:32 AM

3 hours in, have Natascha.  I'm not entirely sure yet how useful she is.  I played nothing but Badwater last night and ended up swapping off between Sasha for offense and Natascha for defense, since you definitely need Sasha's damage for punching through a defensive line.  On defense it seems like the slowdown effect might be useful against charging pyros, and I think it might have made a difference a few times in letting me pick off a fleeing sniper or scout before he could get behind cover.

I feel that I have mastered the Zen of Sandvich.  It requires a very different fighting style from what I'm used to, though; you need to avoid over-committing yourself so that you can duck behind cover when your health gets low and have enough time to nosh before a pyro can charge up and toast you.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 22, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

How useful is the Sandvich, really?  90% of the time, when you are that low on health, you've also pretty low on ammo.  So you have to run back from the frontlines to get ammo anyway.  The Sandvich won't help there. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 22, 2008, 10:27:04 AM

I'm very rarely out of ammo, but frequently out of health. I tend to be very aggressive about picking up fallen enemy weapons though.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #81 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:31 AM

If you're low on ammo, either you're spending more than 100 bullets per enemy or tiny men on your team are getting there first.  Damn tiny men.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 22, 2008, 02:56:53 PM

The one wish I had with the Sandvich is that it broke when the Heavy hit max health and was getting healed.

A few times last night I would run off to a Medic! call and see a Heavy chilling there eating a fucking snack.  That may just be a coordination thing I need to get used to as it radically changes my playstyle as a Medic.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: August 24, 2008, 12:23:43 AM

The KGB are awesome.  The first round after I got them I decked a medic and then switched to my kruber-powered gun to mow down his heavy.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

5:30 hours /played when I got them, btw, which is maybe a little less time than all the pyro unlocks took.  I think it's safe to say they learned their lessons from the Medic update.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 24, 2008, 04:33:07 AM

I do not have a single unlock so far.  ACK!

And I HATE HATE HATE the fucking party mode.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 24, 2008, 07:08:30 AM

And I HATE HATE HATE the fucking party mode.

huh?

Also, are there any hints as to which class is seeing the next update?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 24, 2008, 07:36:23 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #87 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:24 AM

I do not have a single unlock so far.  ACK!

Buh?  According to your SteamID page you have 2 of them.  Some kind of bug?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #88 on: August 24, 2008, 09:46:04 AM

where are the unlocks listed? I looked at my page, and DerHelm's page, and I can't see 'em.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #89 on: August 24, 2008, 09:55:51 AM

Team Fortress 2 -> Statistics
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #90 on: August 24, 2008, 10:00:43 AM

I see the "Records and Stats" tab, and the "Achievements" tab, but nothing that indicates I've unlocked anything special. Now, granted, I probably haven't, but DerHelm aparently has, and I'm not seeing anything so marked.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:16 AM

They're implied by the achievements; if you have two "Heavy milestones" you should have the Sandvich and Natascha unlocked.

Here's Helm with 2 milestones.

Here's you about halfway to the first one.

And here's my giant pile of e-peen.

One thing it doesn't keep track of that I wish it did is the playtime for each class over the past two weeks, so you can see how much of each you've been playing lately in addition to your lifetime stats.  The day of the heavy update I had to make a note of the fact that I had 14:41 playtime as a heavy up to that point so I could accurately track how long the different milestones took.

Really, now that I've seen Spore's "timeline" screen I just want that in every game I own.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #92 on: August 24, 2008, 10:07:25 AM

Aha, thanks a bunch! Makes more sense now. So, anything that's a 'heavy only' achievement is considered part of the 'heavy pack' and goes towards getting the 10/16/22 milestones?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: August 24, 2008, 10:09:04 AM

Exactly.  Same with the pyro and medic packs; you get your first unlock at 10 achievements, your second at 15, and your last at 20 (not counting the achievements for the milestones themselves).  Originally the medic milestones were at 12-achievement increments, which made getting the last one basically impossible through normal play, but when the pyro update came out they retroactively shifted them to the 10/15/20 scheme to make them reasonable.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:00 AM

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 26, 2008, 10:30:33 AM

So,  remind me:

How do you get the freeze cam taunting achievement?

Also,  managed to kill someone with the Heavy taunt the second time I tried it in a real match.  I laughed.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: August 26, 2008, 10:36:02 AM

The Heavy one has an extra twist in that you have to do it while ubered.  The next time you have an uber and you kill everything in sight before the uber runs out, hit your taunt button.  The last guy you killed will get a deathcam pic of you taunting him while glowy, and as long as everything got killed or escaped anyway your medic shouldn't be too pissed.   awesome, for real

For the other ones you basically just taunt after you kill someone, which is a fun thing to do anyway, and you'll get it sooner or later (for the medic one I had to try a few times because it was finicky about what was in the frame, but for the pyro one I got each taunt on my first try).

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:01 AM

I fired up tf2 this weekend after a half-year break and got a ton of achievements...

... medic achievements of course, since everyone's playing a heavy. :P I got like 5 of them in one game, heh.

-- Z.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:43 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: August 27, 2008, 02:55:53 PM

That voice actor needs to clear his goddamn throat.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:55 PM

Yeah, those clips are a little extra-gravelly.

Montage of finger taunt kills.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #101 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:50 AM

Ok, so what key do you press to use a taunt as a weapon? I didn't even know you could do that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #102 on: August 28, 2008, 09:51:12 AM

G or Z. I remapped it I think though, so that may be not be right.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:01 AM

The finger point and the hadouken are the only lethal taunts. G is the default taunt key.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:43 PM

Just unlocked the K.G.B.s, it WAS fun to unlock them in real games.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: A heavy update  
Jump to: