Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: A heavy update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A heavy update  (Read 43200 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 10:21:05 AM

But they already do just give it to you.   Head scratch

Unless you consider just playing the game at all to be some sort of chore, like Bhodi does.  But that comes back to hating fun.  And if you hate fun to begin with, I'm not sure why you hate fun any less when it comes with slight modifications to your weapons.  I mean, if you hate playing a heavy right now, a new gun that slows people down a little bit probably isn't going to make you change your mind.

I thought I understood it, but no matter which angle I try to follow the thought process from, I end up coming up with a contradiction.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 12:37:02 PM

I thought I understood it, but no matter which angle I try to follow the thought process from, I end up coming up with a contradiction.

They don't come through normal play, in my experience though.  I don't think about achievements while I'm in the middle of playing and thus it's rare that I do some of the wacky stuff that it wants and thus I get achievements at an extremely slow pace.

That pace is slower then I want to be able to play with the new toys.  I don't mind the achievements being slow, I mind the "physical"  rewards for getting the achievements being slow to get.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 01:08:10 PM

Are you talking about the medic achievements (as originally launched, where lots of them were hard to do and you needed all 36), or the pyro achievements (where you only need 20 and about 30 of them are things you get automatically)?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 02:02:06 PM

God damn.

I LIKE Achievements.  I don't like equipment unlocking.

What he said.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 03:00:38 PM

Someone who hates equipment unlocking in all cases wouldn't use the .exe, because it unlocks equipment.  The only solution in that case would be to not play that class at all, since that's the only way you're guaranteed to avoid unlocks.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 03:16:54 PM

Someone who hates equipment unlocking in all cases wouldn't use the .exe, because it unlocks equipment.  The only solution in that case would be to not play that class at all, since that's the only way you're guaranteed to avoid unlocks.

Now you're just being silly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 03:19:41 PM

why so serious?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:36 AM

That doesn't even make any sense.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 09:57:46 AM

Nor does your phrasing.  It would probably be more accurate to say that you hate equipment locking, not equipment unlocking.

But if that were the case then I'd be hearing a lot more complaining about pre-loading, since that gives you content on your machine that is locked from you.

Is it perhaps stuff that is locked away from you that other people might have access to that gets your goat?

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:38 AM

swamp poop
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 02:37:26 PM

Nor does your phrasing.  It would probably be more accurate to say that you hate equipment locking, not equipment unlocking.

But if that were the case then I'd be hearing a lot more complaining about pre-loading, since that gives you content on your machine that is locked from you.

Is it perhaps stuff that is locked away from you that other people might have access to that gets your goat?

Glad you can have an actual discussion here, but I guess you had to make the green in your name fit.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 07:26:36 AM

Yes, that's all 100% true.  That's my whole point though.  It's cockblocking so that people who have more time or whatever can get new gameplay modes.  It's stupid.  Don't lock the equipment.  Patch it all in.

Achievements are just for ePeen.  Gameplay modes actively change the way that I can play the game.  I'd like access to those without having to grind through ANYTHING.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:07 PM

Monday...ish?

I guess this will change when it goes up.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 07:19:04 PM

so someone on another forum noticed something.

In the scout video it has a heavy eating a sandwich.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 07:24:28 PM

There were people that didn't notice that?

It's a pretty sure thing that the shotgun replacement is a sandwich, given that one of the heavy achievements is eating 100 sandwiches.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:37 PM

New game mode announced.  At first reading it sounds like they took most people's least favorite part of the game (sudden death) and made it into a game mode.  If this is true, I predict that it will get a handful of staunchly dedicated servers (probably run by people who miss the nail-biting tension of Counter-Strike) and everyone else will shun it like tc_hydro.

The maps look pretty, though.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:55 PM

ewww swamp poop
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 09:23:03 PM

I suspect they are hoping to convert some of their CS player base into TF2 players. The fact that there is only one central capture point should minimize the excessive camping we see in sudden death. I suspect the fact that arena is a dedicated game mode will also loosen people up a bit. Sudden death tends to come after a long engagement and after 15 minutes or more of playing, both teams are pretty risk adverse. People will hopefully have less invested in any given round of arena.

Honestly, I'm kinda jazzed about arena. One of my favorite things about CS was bullshitting with other players between rounds. As long as it changes to all-talk like it does in CS:S, this should be fun. It'll be a great mode for laundry folding.   awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:27 AM

Hmmm, not sure about Arena mode. One the one hand, it sounds kind of fun, OTOH, it sounds like a ridalin-soaked clickfest.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:57 PM

Anyone see the TF2 Weighted Companion Cube Soccer?  Looks kind of fun.

Not to go too off topic of course.

schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:46 PM

Anyone see the TF2 Weighted Companion Cube Soccer?  Looks kind of fun.

Not to go too off topic of course.

Why would you ever be anything besides a sniper or a soldier?

I think this would only work if it were restricted to one class with a Heavy as a "goalie"
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 01:14:08 PM

That does in fact look like a good time. Doing hail mary "kicks" with a demoman would be fun, not to mention airblasting the cube as a pyro. Actually a pyro team would be pretty sweet; they could pass fairly accurately and block soldier/demoman kicks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:18:02 PM by Prospero »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2008, 01:46:14 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 01:53:27 PM

MY BLOOD!!! HE PUNCHED OUT ALL MY BLOOD!!!!    DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:36 PM

Such a copout.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 19, 2008, 02:09:05 PM

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #61 on: August 19, 2008, 02:43:59 PM

Om nom nom?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:07 PM

It's copyright OMMNOMNOM. Look closely.

I like the sandwich idea, but I think 4 seconds may be a bit too long for half health. We'll see how it balances.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 03:29:44 PM

That's funny, my first thought was that making it unlimited was pretty overpowered.  But 4 seconds of vulnerability... tough to say.

One thing is for certain: the scout WILL have a "kill a heavy while he's eating a sandvich" achievement.  Shit, if I were them I'd go back and put a "toasted sandvich" achievement in for the pyro while I was at it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: August 19, 2008, 03:30:38 PM

Kill a heavy WITH a BAT achievement. It should be called 'Sup?'
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008, 04:00:48 PM

I wonder if he drops his sandwich if you kill him while he is eating it, and if so, do you get health? Or ammo? I can shoot rockets after picking up a baseball bat, why not a sandwich?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:48 PM

He almost has to drop it; it's pretty firmly ingrained in TF2's design that you get a useful reward for killing someone, even if all they had out was a baseball bat or whatever.  In all other cases the reward is equivalent to an ammo pickup, but making a dropped sandvich work like a small medpack instead would be awesome.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #67 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:19 PM

So, anyone tried out the Arena mode?  I was pleasantly surprised.  Rounds are much shorter than Counter-Strike due to the small map size and central objective, and the teams are shuffled automatically.

Also, got 6 new achievements in the hour or so I played last night.   why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:53 PM

The update's out?

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:12 PM

Yup, popped yesterday around 3 PDT.

I was pretty happy with arena, but I like CS, so take that with a grain of salt. It's all of the fun parts of sudden death, minus the obnoxious camping. I think the longest round I saw ran around 1:45; the shortest was 27 seconds. I also really dig the automatic team scrambling; I can see it minimizing the number of times you get steamrolled.

Also the heavy achievements are pretty cool. I picked up two in my first 45 seconds of playing.  Heart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: A heavy update  
Jump to: