Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Baseball Trades '08 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trades '08  (Read 11007 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 30, 2008, 10:33:17 AM

The one that means the most to me Currently is the Texiera trade to the Angels, because it signifies for the first time in almost 2 decades that the Braves are sellers at the deadline, which sucks.

Also, I expect Manny to get dealt before week-end. That guy is acting like a huge shit-heel in Boston right now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37:28 AM

Manny is Manny. He will always be a shitheel. Who wants to take on a shitheel with that much salary?

The Braves had to be sellers. Their pitching staff is not going to let them compete for another year or two, and if they can trade for some good young arms, so be it. Though the fact they only got 1 arm who doesn't look that great and Kotchmann tells me there wasn't a lot of takers. Kotchmann is good, but I'm not sure I'd have made that trade if there was a deal on the table with two good pitching prospects. If you were going to lose this year anyway, put a warm body in at first base and get the young arms.

I'm happy with the Cubs getting Harden and that reliever whose name I always forget, though Harden's glass arm worries me. Still, they just took a 3 game lead in the Central with two more games left in the series in Milwaukee, so they may be able to let him slide on 5-inning games until September/October.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:38 AM

I don't think he's going anywhere.  The Sox are contenders and will need his clutch hitting (if he doesn't decide to take the month of September off for personal reflection) and quite frankly won't get anything near his value in return.  They need his bat and can ignore his talk until after the season when they can just dump him or pick up the club option and go for a serious trade.

And... I think the trade deadline is just a little over a day away.  So anything that happens, needs to happen now.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:40:41 AM

Yankees or anyone else pls to be  taking Jarrod Washburn off the Mariners' hands. Also Jose Vidro, but even the Yankees aren't that stupid, right?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:43:02 AM

Rumor going around Atlanta now is that the Braves are also looking to unload reliever Will Ohman. Oh, and there's a 50-50 shot that Hudson's elbow injury could need Tommy John surgery. If that's the case, the Braves will have ONE starting pitcher left that began the season, not counting Hampton because he never actually started.

That would mean they could possibly be fucked for 2 years minimum. There's almost no way Glavine and Smoltz are coming back next year, Hudson would be gone all next season, and Hampton is in the last year of contract which was horrible for the Braves.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45:36 AM

The Braves had a ridiculous run. Now it is time to pay the karmic piper  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:08:26 PM

Yeah, the Braves major league rotation is shot. Even if Hampton can come back, his health is always going to be iffy. Glavine's just old and not nearly as effective as he was before going to New York and Smoltz' elbow isn't going to last forever. If Hudson gets Tommy John, that team is going to stink on ice without some major signings next year. And I just don't see them doing that. They'd be more likely to trade away a couple of their young position players for young arms.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:52 PM

Go Tampa Bay?

That's right, I was there on opening day and when Boggs hit 3000.

FUCK YEAH!  awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:36:33 PM

The Braves had a ridiculous run. Now it is time to pay the karmic piper  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Uh, we did that in the 80s before the run. We set records even the Royals couldn't beat in suckiness. Please, not again, kthx.

EDIT: Also, Pudge is a Yankee now. I used to like him a lot, but that pretty much destroys me giving a shit about him now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:39:08 PM by Paelos »

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:19 PM

As a New Englander who now lives in Miami, I have to say the Sox/Marlins trade talks involving Manny is making me sprout a tall one.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:28:17 AM

How ridiculous is it that the Marlins, running on the lowest payroll they can with guys not even eligible for arbitration, are not only contending with the overpaid Mets, they are looking to trade for a guy who makes more in a year than their entire fucking payroll? I mean, seriously?

Not that he couldn't help them a lot, but the funny part is that I don't think they need him.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:25:29 AM

Griffey Jr's a White Sox player now, and the Manny deal is going down to the wire. Florida is raking Boston's nuts over the fire on this one, and I totally agree with that approach. They are going to try to bleed Boston dry because we all know they want Manny on the first bus out of town.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:45:53 AM

Griffey, Jr. is a good pick up for the Sox, what with Swisher hitting .230 in center. I hate that he couldn't finish his career in Cincy, but who knows, maybe he'll go back there next year.

The Marlins just picked up Arthur Rhodes for bullpen help. That team is much better than they have any right to be after the way the owner has fucked with them for years. I don't know if they have enough to get to and through the playoffs this year, but if they keep that core together, watch out for a few years to come.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:25:09 PM

Griffey, Jr. is a good pick up for the Sox, what with Swisher hitting .230 in center. I hate that he couldn't finish his career in Cincy, but who knows, maybe he'll go back there next year.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

The city has been yelling for him to be traded for the last 3 years.  He's underperformed in comparison to his pay for the last 8 years.  We got more out of Freel than Jr.  The latest hub-bub between him and one of the radio commentators was, apparently, the last straw.

Also there had been speculation by the local sports folks ever since the season started that he'd be traded this year AFTER he hit #600.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:27:28 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:53:40 PM

Manny's a Dodger. Enjoy the left coast, you cock-knocker. Also, kiss all that national exposure goodbye. Most of the country can't name a single Dodger.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:09 PM

Andruw Jones?  Nomar Garciaparra?  Russell Martin?

But yeah, not many Angels on the national radar either and they're blowing the AL West out of the water.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:29 PM

You think Andruw, you think Brave.

You think NOMAAAAAAAH, you think Boston.

Manny will fall into that same category and be forgotten over there.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:58:45 AM

Yeah, this MIGHT help the Dodgers, but not as much as getting Jason Bay will help the Red Sox. His numbers are almost equal to Manny's this year, and in THAT park with THAT lineup... that motherfucker should hit well. And he won't be a cancer on the fucking organization. Torre's going to have one helluva time getting the other guys in the outfield enough playing time, because he's GOT to play Manny. But at the least the Dodgers aren't having to pay his salary. How bad do you want a guy out of town when you'll eat his entire salary for the year just to ship him off somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind about Andruw Jones. I just saw his batting average... .163? And he's getting paid $14 million to sit on the bench these days? Fuck me.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 07:27:58 AM

Jones continues his suckass performance that he was putting up at the end in Atlanta. Everyone in town was drinking the Haterade on him because he hit .222 had 138 K's and less than 100 RBI's as the "cleanup hitter" in a contract year. I was ready to drive him to the airport so someone else would inherit his poisonous stench of failure. I don't know what happened to him that's made him absolutely suck. It could be he was on performance enhancers and they got close to him, which would explain a lot.

Manny will definitely play over Jones. Torre also might have him whacked. Either way, he's gone and out of the national spotlight in a few weeks.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:30 AM

On another related note, I don't understand Florida fans yet again. I pretty much consider most of the state a third world country when it comes to sport, what with the asshole Gators leading the pack. Teams like the Rays turn it around a bit though.

Then, we have the Marlins. A team that's 7 games over .500, 1.5 back in the tighest division race in baseball, and on EVERY SINGLE HIGHLIGHT you see on Sportscenter, their entire stadium looks like a ghost town. According to ESPN Baseball Attendance Records Florida is dead last in average attendence with less than 16,000 a game. That's insane for a team in the thick of a major playoff race. Hell, Tampa Bay has a chance to actually win a division that only the Yankees and Red Sox have dominated for the last decade, and they are only drawing 20,000 on average.

Washington is in dead last, and 21 games out of first. They still average 30,000 a game at home. Florida, that is shameful. You don't have fans, you have a bunch of idiots who wouldn't know good sports if they bit you on the ass.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:42:43 AM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:31:01 AM

To be fair to the Marlins' fans, that franchise, under two different owners, has delighted in taking a tremendous dump all over them as soon as the franchise tastes some success. 1997 they win the World Series and a year later they dismantle the team completely. That was under Hzungiea (or however you spell that asshole's name). Then Lorie buys them (why MLB let him buy another franchise after deserting the Expos I'll never know), they win the '03 World Series and he immediately dismantles the team and spends the next few years fielding a Triple-A lineup. The reason? Because the city won't pay for a new stadium. So he decides he'll tank the team so badly that MLB will let him move the franchise (or sell it for an overinflated value). The joke's been on him, though. Thanks to some seriously good GM'ing, the team's farm system is chock full of major league talent, and even fielding a team with less major league service than Crash Davis and a first-year manager yields him a .500 team.

The fans? They probably stopped caring because they knew no matter how well the team did, the owner would just junk-punch them again to try to hold the city hostage. That owner doesn't deserve a fucking team.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:10 AM

I've been to a couple Marlins game with less than 4k attendance. Last year, John Smoltz was starting for the Braves and we found ourselves watching a future Hall of Famer with about 2,500 other people. Talk about exclusive. Putting the Marlins in Dolphin Stadium is the real problem. Even though Miami-Dade and Broward counties border each other, Dolphin Stadium manages to not be anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. It is, however, in a bad neighborhood in the middle of nowhere. I live in the middle of Miami and going to a game means a 50 mile round trip for me.  swamp poop

Dolphin Stadium looks like a giant can of tuna sitting on the concrete.  smiley

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:40 AM

That still doesn't explain why the Nationals are drawing more fans than the Rays.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 12:08:13 PM

Tampa Bay sucks?  awesome, for real The city, not the team. But really, up until last year, the team did suck it hard. And the owner before the current one did almost as bad for the team as the current Marlins' owner is doing now.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 01:45:05 PM

The Rays:

Poor uniforms.
Little name recognition.
Ugly ballpark.
Average logo.
No tradition.
Also, Tampa? Talk about Vanilla City.

The Rays have been making improvements over the past couple years, but damn, they nearly started themselves six feet under upon launch. When Tampa Bay was lobbying MLB for a team back in the 80s/90s, the city built Tropicana Field and MLB decided to go to Miami instead. lulz. Once the city finally had a team, they drafted Josh Hamilton first overall. He ended up as a drug addict while with them. Talk about an awful start. Anyways, the new park they have in the plans looks pretty damn cool.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 02:31:53 PM

Tampa Bay sucks?  awesome, for real The city, not the team. But really, up until last year, the team did suck it hard. And the owner before the current one did almost as bad for the team as the current Marlins' owner is doing now.

Coming from a guy who lives in Mississippi. Give me a break.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tampa Bay is amazing. All of you haters can go hate elsewhere. At least when our team wins we show up.

Also, none of those park plans will come to fruition. You're checking outdated sites -- all the plans got turned down by the proposers because St. Petersburg (And how many of you know that the Rays actually play in St. Pete?!) refuses to give the builders breaks.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 05:08:01 PM

That's funny. The city was in such a hurry to lure a professional team that they built one of the ugliest parks in baseball. Now, they have something unique to put up and the wheels can't be greased. I knew the Rays played in St. Pete, but I didn't want to nickel and dime. At least it's not as bad as the Giants playing in Jersey.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 02:27:12 PM

Tropicana was built to support more than just baseball. It functions better as a concert venue than a baseball field.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:30:59 PM

WTT Brian Sabean for a bag of baseballs and some shoes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Baseball Trades '08  
Jump to: