Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265609 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 12, 2009, 08:37:40 PM

In the post fight interview, he seemed to be up for it; he sounded like he knew he needed time to bulk up though so he and Silva are actually the same size. It would be good for both of them though; Silva and GSP have both dominated their weight classes making most other fighters in those weights irrelevant.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #211 on: July 12, 2009, 08:44:13 PM

Well, Henderson's rockem-sockem block knockoff of Bisping was worth the price alone.

Best part of the night, holy shit.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #212 on: July 12, 2009, 09:22:24 PM

The flying superman-like overkill punch was incredible.

Overall, an average card.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 13, 2009, 06:33:18 AM

You heard it from his own mouth...he would need to put on some real muscle weight to move up, because he walks around at around 185.  Probably close to 15-20 pounds worth of solid mass, and he isn't the kind of guy that will fool around with something like that.  It might take him a long time to do it properly.  

That said, I'm not sure what the upside for him would be to move up in weight (aside from our entertainment value).  I don't think he can take Silva, simply because Silva is a lot bigger than he is.  He can either be the best welterweight ever, or a really good middleweight.  I'd be tempted to stay at WW and wait for the next big challenger - there are always quality guys at that weight.

The way he threw Alves around...should have seen it in coming, but I'll admit I was expecting a much stiffer challenge.

On Brock Lesnar - I don't think I've ever seen anyone land such bone-crushing punches from that position.  He barely had room to cock his arm, but those fists were just brutal.  Also, it turns out that Brock is an unsufferable prick.  That wasn't just a bunch of old WWE song and dance, he seems to be a genuine asshole with no class whatsoever.  Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on earth can do a damn thing about it.  Probably not even Fedor.

Dan Henderson throws a vicious right that everyone on the planet saw coming except for Bisping.  What part of stop moving to the left don't you get?  What part of the guy lifts his left shoulder and telegraphs his punch five seconds in advance escaped you?  It was a seriously great punch though.  Then Dan has to act like a complete douchebag and jump on top of an obviously unconscious opponent to deliver a crushing forearm.  I was almost willing to believe that it was a "heat of the battle" thing, but then he admits to doing it on purpose.  I lost a lot of respect for him, and am now hoping that Silva dismantles him on their inevitable rematch.

Edit: after reading some of Henderson's comments regarding the elbow, maybe it actually was more of a heat-of-the-moment kind of thing.  Oh well.  

Edit: grammar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:37:20 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WayAbvPar

Reply #214 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:11 AM

Enjoyed the card, but I really wish Lesnar would suffer a steroids-related embolism already. God that guy is a cunt.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #215 on: July 13, 2009, 02:21:33 PM

It wasn't a great card, or at least what we saw wasn't great.  Think about it, the Belcher fight was Fight of the Night?  Yikes, that fight started ok but didn't have much to it.

GSP, is well, GSP, none of the AKA kids can take him (Fitch/Kos/Swick) Kos is the best matchup of the bunch considering his wrestling and we've already seen that.  Swick would get run over in a bad bad way.  I thought Alves might score some more damage and make it interesting, sadly though GSP put him off balance in a bad way so fast that he really never seemed to be fighting his fight.

Lesnar, jesus, to be honest I sort of like the guy more then I ever did after that.  The Coors shit was classic.  He's a fucking maniac but there are some other 265lbs fighters out there, the winner of the Cain v Carwin fight?  Fuck yeah I want to see that.  I haven't wanted to see a heavyweight fight for some time.  So he's a great thing for the Heavyweight division.  I wonder if Lesnar wins if UFC will be confident enough to take a Fedor fight.  I really think he might fuck Fedor up, he's just so goddamn freakishly big and fast.

I really wish I got to see the Bones fight.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: July 13, 2009, 03:24:16 PM

Enjoyed the card, but I really wish Lesnar would suffer a steroids-related embolism already. God that guy is a cunt.

To be fair to Lesner, Mir was doing some massive trash talking for weeks before the fight.  Honestly, it was neck and neck whether Mir or Michael "I think I'm a better wrestler than Dan Henderson" Bisping was the biggest asshole before the fight. 

Lesner is a meathead, but I can't fault him too much.  Same for Hendo.  Bisping has been a grade A asshole to him for months, and people are surprised when Hendo doesn't want to play the "after the fight we're buddies, hatchet is buried" game. 

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:25 AM

Maybe I'm an ass but that after knockout punch by Hendo was probably the coolest part of the whole night. If I had to listen to that prick for months during ultimate fighter, endure a ton of shit talk, and watch USA lose to him....I'd sure as hell make sure he was knocked out too.

Fedor would fuck Lesnar up still. In a couple years, maybe not.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: July 14, 2009, 09:45:46 AM

I really don't think Fedor will beat Lesnar, unless he gets in a real solid punch very early in the match (which can always happen with anyone, mind you).  I think Lesnar has all but proven that no matter who you are, he is going to take you down, get on top of you, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.  To make matters worse, without even getting into a good posture or making any separation, he can absolutely smash your head in.  That's something I've never seen before, and it means that he can avoid getting into too many precarious positions.

I would really love to be wrong, because I love me some Fedor and am starting to really dislike Lesnar.  But I honestly think that Brock will knock him the fuck out.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: July 14, 2009, 09:49:35 AM

One thing about Fedor, the guy finds a way to win. I would suspect a similar outcome as Mir, in their first fight Lesnar gets caught in something...and if there was a 2nd he would adjust.

Has Lesnar ever had his chin really tested? We all know Fedor has incredible power behind everything he throws.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: July 14, 2009, 06:23:11 PM

One thing about Fedor, the guy finds a way to win. I would suspect a similar outcome as Mir, in their first fight Lesnar gets caught in something...and if there was a 2nd he would adjust.

Has Lesnar ever had his chin really tested? We all know Fedor has incredible power behind everything he throws.

Lesner took a couple solid shots from Randy, and a few more from Mir in this last fight.

I was really impressed with how much Brock's game has improved:  His takedowns went straight to half-guard, where he locked up Mir's body (preventing subs from the bottom) and then isolated the head to pound on him. 

The Carwin/Velasquez fight is probably going to Carwin, and then we'll see a pretty interesting fight.  Carwin is a 265 lbs. wrestler with serious stopping power on the feet, and probably decent enough wrestling (former Div I All-American) to keep the fight standing.

TUF 10 should actually be interesting.  All Heavyweights, with the big names being Kimbo, Roy Nelson (looks like a shmuck, but is actually a pretty decent fighter), and Wes Simms.  A pile of NFL washouts are in as well, so it should liven up the Heavyweight division with a bunch of solid mid 200 lbs. professional level athletes.

Afflictions third card is set for August, and more than likely this will be the promotion's last card at the rate they've been bleeding money for paltry PPV orders.  We could very well see Fedor in the UFC before the end of the year.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26:26 PM

Well, Henderson's rockem-sockem block knockoff of Bisping was worth the price alone.

That punch earned Henderson a $100,000 KO bonus.

There were some interesting preliminary fights, that you can find if you search a bit.  You should probably check out:

Bonner vs. Marc Coleman
Jon Jones vs. Jake Obrien
Jim Miller vs. Mac Danzig - this fight is the reason there was bloodstains all over the mat for the main card.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:16 PM

Lesner took a couple solid shots from Randy, and a few more from Mir in this last fight.

I don't know, a couple solid shots from Randy? That's not Randy's game. Randy will outwrestle you and ground and pound your ass, feeling fine while you're winded as shit. Fedor beasts people. I've never seen another MMA fighter use his hips so well in his strikes. That is probably offset by Lesnar's pure, unadulterated, roid power.

I'll be truly bummed if they never fight...and they probably won't. They are both freaks of nature in their own respect, but I feel like Fedor has earned his accolades.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: July 15, 2009, 06:45:45 AM

I'm not sure size will make much difference to Fedor, Hong Man Choi is bigger than Brock, although less of a brick shithouse of course. Fedor was literally suspended in the air when armbarring him. I'd say Fedor over Brock by submission Rd1.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: July 16, 2009, 07:19:36 AM

Big is too simple a word to describe Lesnar.  He cuts 30 pounds to get to 265.  He must come into the ring close to 290.  He is faster than shit, and a dominating, smothering wrestler.  Without getting any sort of posture (and put himself at risk doing so), he beat the fuck out of Mir's head.  Unless Fedor can catch him on the way in, I think he'll get the same treatment.  Can Brock take a punch?  I'm not sure we've seen a really good one connect, but have you seen how big his head is?  That skull must be thick.

Choi is a big, lumbering dufus.  That isn't a fair comparison.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: July 16, 2009, 08:17:22 AM

For the record, I don't think Mir's been that good in a long time. Back to commentating in WEC, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgDmhY0K4g

He has fought a lot of good fighters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko

Lost one fight due to a cut. Should be considered undefeated.

Arlovski, Slyvia, Choi, Randleman, Lindland, Minotaro.... 30-1 and nine years of MMA experience.

I'm not saying Lesnar isn't a beast, but Fedor has never been tapped or beat up.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: July 16, 2009, 05:45:55 PM

For the record, I don't think Mir's been that good in a long time. Back to commentating in WEC, bro.

Mir's won three of his last four fights against credible opponents.  He made Nog look like a chump,  and Nog was generally ranked the 1st or 2nd best HW in the world at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgDmhY0K4g

He has fought a lot of good fighters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko

Lost one fight due to a cut. Should be considered undefeated.

Arlovski, Slyvia, Choi, Randleman, Lindland, Minotaro.... 30-1 and nine years of MMA experience.
I'm not saying Lesnar isn't a beast, but Fedor has never been tapped or beat up.

The problem with the HW division is that it has always been pretty spread out between orgs.  Combine that with the seemingly short life-span of top HWs and it makes it really hard to compare fighters who have only ever fought in one place. 

Fedor has some good wins, and he's undefeated.  It's really tough to compare him to guys like Brock or Randy, when they only have a very few fights in common and many times those fighters were on the slide.

Example:

- Gonzaga manhandled Crocop, who then got beat by Kongo, and largely looks to be a bit washed up.  Fedor beat Crocop in a war, back when Crocop was highly regarded. 
- Fedor beat Sylvia and Arlovski, but both guys have been looking more than a bit washed up the last couple years.
- Randy has losses to Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez.  Barnett got caught juicing,  and Ricco now weighs more than Alves and GSP combined.

Really, the UFC seems to have the largest stable of consistently alright HWs (Herring, Kongo, Hardonk, Gonzaga) and up-and-comers (Carwin, Velasquez, Pat Barry, Junior dos Santos), leavened with some decent higher tier guys (Nog, Randy, Mir, Brock).

The only guys outside of the UFC I'm excited about are Overeem, Barnett, and Fedor.  Maybe have Monson back.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 17, 2009, 02:49:34 AM

That punch earned Henderson a $100,000 KO bonus.
Here is the gif:
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #228 on: July 17, 2009, 08:45:00 AM

That's beautiful. 

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:17 AM

That .gif should totally say "Fatality!" in big letters on the bottom before the (unnecessary) finishing punch.  I'm kind of surprised Bisping's head wasn't embedded into the canvas.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:38 PM

You need to find a .gif from the original broadcast or something, because I think the original view (over Henderson's shoulder) was even more brutal.  IMO.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: July 23, 2009, 06:46:39 PM

Well.

Affliction was already pretty shaky, with a good chance that they would fold after this next show.  Now it's all over but the crying:  Barnett just tested positive for roids, which means his license will be pulled for the US for at least a year.  This is the second time for Barnett, who was stripped of the UFC HW title years ago when he tested positive after beating Couture.

To cover the fight, Fedor will now face Vitor Belfort....  Which means if Belfort wins, Fedor got beat by a MW.  Even if Fedor crushes Belfort,  he'll have just crushed a decent but not outstanding MW.

Belfort was slated to face Jorge Santiago on the same card, which would have been a good fight.  Santiago is unbeaten since getting cut by the UFC, and is generally ranked as a top 10 MW, while Belfort has a couple of great wins against Lindland and Martin in his last couple fights.  Now Santiago will either be facing someone who had a week to prepare, or a complete unknown.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #232 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:21 PM

-Rasix
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:45 AM

Yeh, no just a cancelled event, Affliction is finished as a promotion. There's talk of them becoming a sponsor for UFC.

Barnett has managed to take out the whole damn thing.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: July 25, 2009, 10:31:56 AM

I just found out Arturo Gatti's dead.

What a weird way for a boxer to go.  Those 3 fights with Ward were some of the most entertaining boxing matches I've ever - and probably will ever - see.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #235 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:50 PM

I followed Gatti from his days as a raw nineteen or twenty year old newb back in the early nineties, fighting little four-round preliminary bouts in New Jersey and Philadelphia on Tuesday Night Fights. I watch him go from preliminaries, to supporting fights, to main events. It was crazy when he finally graduated to HBO and won a world title, because I had just gotten into watching the sport around the time Gatti started fighting, and he was the first guy I had actually watched go all the way from newbie to champion.

RIP and all that.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: July 28, 2009, 06:47:13 PM

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.

The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/07/fedor-emelianenko-ufc-finalizing-deal.html
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: July 28, 2009, 07:03:11 PM

FUCK YEAH

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #238 on: July 29, 2009, 01:19:08 AM

Oh wowowowowowow

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: July 29, 2009, 06:32:30 AM

Yeah, Dana White is talking about some "crazy stuff" that will be announced on July 31st.  Possibly Fedor, and maybe even an ESPN contract. 

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: July 29, 2009, 06:42:04 AM

I find it hard to take Lesnar's antics as anything other than him playing up the 'heel' aspect that the MMA crowd handed him.

He did that everyday of his life for a couple of years and a lot of the WWE guys are his friends.  The whole point of that stuff is to manipulate peoples emotions and sell tickets/advertising/merchandise, by this point I expect he knows that as well as anyone.

I'm not saying MMA is going the sports entertainment route, I'm just saying that Lesnar is selling himself the way he knows how to.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: July 29, 2009, 08:15:24 PM

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.

The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/07/fedor-emelianenko-ufc-finalizing-deal.html

I so hope this is the case and Dana will have to back down on his stance about his fighters appearing in the EA MMA Game.
http://kotaku.com/5325854/ea-signs-fedor-emelianenko-for-ea-sports-mma
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: July 30, 2009, 01:27:53 AM

That is not even a speed bump on White signing him. UFC does have some unfair Nazi bullshit going on, a headliner like Fedor is beyond that level of bullshit.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:26 PM

Well, turns out that Fedor is either stupid or scared.  Stupid by letting his manager do all his negotiating for him, or simply scared to see if he truly is the best HW in the world.  Signed with Strikeforce.  I think we all lose with that one.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: August 03, 2009, 06:13:53 PM

FUCK NO!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: