Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265629 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 10, 2008, 04:22:36 PM

I do have a partial shine to Fiorivanti:

In his fight with Diego Sanchez (who's moving down to 155lbs!),  he got off a Judo throw that we affectionately called "the Captain Kirk".  Basically,  someone shoots on you,  you roll back with them and put your foot into their chest,  and use the momentum to throw the other person right over the top of you.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #176 on: December 11, 2008, 05:53:20 AM

Was a pretty good fight night...

Koscheck fuckin laid that guy out. Bad.

Capt. knees was pretty brutal as well.

Credeur has definetely been working on his striking, and training with the Natural has done nothing but improve his overall game.

Swick-Fu ... whatever, beat somebody good.

Miller dominated that entire fight. Looked good even taking the fight with like 3 days notice.

Cantwell is looking strong.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #177 on: December 11, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

His opponent had possibly the biggest bump on his head I've ever seen.  At the decision announcement it was covering nearly his entire forehead.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:08 AM

Was a pretty good fight night...

Koscheck fuckin laid that guy out. Bad.

Credeur has definetely been working on his striking, and training with the Natural has done nothing but improve his overall game.

Swick-Fu ... whatever, beat somebody good.

Miller dominated that entire fight. Looked good even taking the fight with like 3 days notice.

Cantwell is looking strong.

- Koscheck had a gorgeous KO.  Yoshida wasn't a scrub, either.  It's too bad that he's pretty obviously either 4th (below GSP, Alves, Fitch) or 5th (if you count B.J. as a WW) in his division, which may be fueling the speculation that he's going to take off for Strikeforce.

- Swick worked Goulet,  but Goulet was a B- fighter at best.  Swick works over the mediocre fighters,  then always chokes up a bunch on the tougher guys.  Nice to see him on form, after the unexciting fights against Burkman and Davis.

- Miller looked GREAT.  Wiman has been really working over people in the LW division too.

- Fuck Cantwell.  I was never particularly impressed with him in the WEC, and Al-Turk was a "gimme" fight for him.  The LHW div is just too stacked for him to hang.

- The Credeur fight was alright.  Credeur has always seemed like a good guy,  but it's obvious he's going to have a mediocre run at MW for a few years and retire.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: December 11, 2008, 01:24:05 PM

Warning: Nasty leg break.

OUCH.  And I thought that dude who's elbow popped was bad. 

Looks like they have the fight on UFC.com. 
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: December 12, 2008, 10:24:19 AM

If they do you probably shouldn't watch it. Once you see it you cannot unsee it /shiver.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #181 on: December 12, 2008, 07:25:38 PM

Koscheck -- He's like the official gatekeeper to the elite @ 170.  But I just can't see him with the belt.

Swick -- Its time they gave him a real opponent, I know the crowd likes him but come the fuck on.  If they want to put him against someone they are pretty sure he'll beat, what about Ben Saunders from the fight for the troops?  That might be a fun fight.

Credeur -- I'd like to see him use the stand up to setup BJJ or something, right now he seems like a decent chump to put against newcomers and the like.

Cantwell -- This guy is pretty much crap, will enjoy watching him get smacked by a true striker.

Wiman -- I'd really like to know wtf happened.  Need to see the fight again.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:17 PM

Nogueira got his ass whooped.  He really didn't look like he was in great shape, and Mir was on top of his game.
WitchKiller
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: December 28, 2008, 05:26:52 PM

Nogueira got his ass whooped.  He really didn't look like he was in great shape, and Mir was on top of his game.

Yeah man, I've been looking around a little today to see what his travel arrangements were.  He looked exhausted, not gassed.  Like he had zero energy from the moment he hit the ramp.  I don't think either were in their best shape, but it could of been water.  Either way, Mir rolled him.

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good
of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live
under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies."  C.S. Lewis
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 30, 2009, 04:11:48 PM

Rise from your grave!

Some great cards are coming up, and the new Xbox game is out, so I thought I'd necro.

- Machida womps Rashad last weekend.  Machida has looked like a killer his last two fights, which is good.  He seemed to play it too safe in his earlier fights, never committing unless he knew he wasn't in any danger.  Word on the street is Shogun is going to fight Machida for the title in October, while Rashad and Rampage are set to match up after they coach TUF 10 in the fall.

- Edger beats Sherk, and the ultimate winner is probably Gray Maynard.  Edger pushed himself into the top tier of the LW ranks with that win,  but his most recent fight before this was a dominating loss to Maynard.  BJ and Florian are fighting in a couple of months,  so it's up in the air who the next contender is.  Probably either Diego Sanchez, Gray Maynard, or Edger.

Coming up:

- UFC 99 from Germany:

Main card
Catchweight (195 lb) bout: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Cheick Kongo

Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Ben Saunders
Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy
Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno

Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs. Justin Buchholz
Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Dale Hartt
Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Peter Sobotta
Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Rolando Delgado
Heavyweight bout: Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
Heavyweight bout: Mostapha Al Turk vs. Todd Duffee
Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Rick Story

Main card is pretty solid.  Swick might win himself a shot against the winner of Alves/GSP.  Cain or Kongo could earn themselves a shot for the HW belt.

UFC 100

Heavyweight Championship bout: Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Interim Champion Frank Mir
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher

Preliminary Card
Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar
Light Heavyweight bout: Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
Welterweight bout: Dong Hyun Kim vs. Jonathan Goulet
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
Lightweight bout: Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty

All around fantastic card.  Lesner vs. Mir should be interesting.  GSP vs Alves should be amazing.  Fitch/Thiago (dude that KO'd Koscheck) probably won't be great, as Thiago looks like he got really fucking lucky his last fight.  Henderson/Bisping should be great.  Akiyama (a top 10 MW, fought mostly in Japan and Korea) is set to have his coming out party against Belcher, who is mediocre but managed to ruin Denis Kang's coming out party his last fight.

The Jon Jones fight should be good.  Jones is a rookie who's looked amazing in his last few fights.

Affliction's third card is in August, and should be pretty solid.  Fedor vs Barnett.  Lot's of rumors this will be the last card, as the company is bleeding money on it's promotion.

WEC has a couple of great cards as well.  Faber vs. Brown, Torres vs. Bowles.  Miguel Torres is pretty much a skinny, mulletted, 135 lb. MMA god.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #185 on: May 30, 2009, 07:26:05 PM

Strikeforce has the next good card on June 6th.

I think UFC 99 is pretty crap, not worth paying for and UFC 100 is fucking win, 101 is looking pretty sick as well.

UFC 99:
Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva - Who cares fight for the main event?  Rich Franklin doesn't even get to fight in Ohio anymore he's so weak and Wanderlei is on the Liddel path to failure.
Cain Velasquez vs. Cheick Kongo - Interesting fight, a  big test for someone who will be amazing in the future (Cain) versus a guy who keeps winning but who I don't think can take on the guys who cut weight to get to 265 in Kongo.  Best fight on the card by miles.
Mike Swick vs. Ben Saunders - This could be amazing if both come out explosive or Saunders could just be outfoxed and outclassed, which would suck because Mick Swick is a fucking bitch.  I don't think Swick will take it to him at all.
Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy - A fight so boring they had to invent an internet feud to make it more interesting.  Who cares which one of these guys wins?
Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno - Until one of these top fighters from asian orgs can manage to do shit in the UFC I'm going to stop getting excited about fights like this.  Actually I'm never excited about fights involving 34 year olds who are just now coming to the UFC.  Fisher used to be awesome but he only shines against weak opposition.

The undercard is garbage typical of EU fightcard in the UFC.  I'm more excited for the 3 announced fights for the TUF Finale then I am for UFC99, but I'm a huge Sanchez fan so that may be why.  I hope he looks a little better this time around after the weight cut.  Also a Diaz beasting Joe Daddy should be pretty awesome, I've got nothing against that guy but him and Sherk need to fuck off already for much the same reasons.

Other thoughts:
I don't see how Shogun earned a title shot, but I wouldn't be that shocked.  With Forrest fighting Anderson and Rashad fighting Rampage its a tough pick.  Banha Cane needs to prove it against a top fighter -what's Jardine doing he deserves to be the stepping stone again after standing with Rampage for 3 rounds.  Its hard since there has been no title defenses to think of anyone you really want to see get another shot so soon.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:19:27 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 30, 2009, 07:36:38 PM

Card for 99 looks pretty awful to me. Since when does UFC do catchweight bouts? And I don't see how anyone can care about Rich Franklin after Silva made him his bitch twice.

100 looks great though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: May 31, 2009, 09:21:36 AM

UFC 99 has a solid main card,  but really it can't touch 100-102. 
- The Cain/Kongo fight and Swick/Saunders fights may determine the next challengers at HW and WW.  Shane Carwin is still in the mix, though.
- Franklin/Wanderlei is a tune up fight for Wanderlei as he makes his move to MW, and an interesting fight if you've been following MMA for a while.  Franklin's last fight was a close decision loss to Henderson.
- Dan Hardy has actually been knocking fools out at WW, and may be the second break out Brit in the UFC. 

Uno is past his prime, but this should be a fun fight.  Fisher always brings it.

UFC 101 and 102 are as amazingly stacked as 100.  Couture/Nog, Forrest/Anderson Silva, Florian/Penn, Marquardt/Maia (possibly for next shot at MW), Jardine/Thiago Silva, Hamil/Vera, plus rumors of the return of Cro Cop and attempts by the UFC to sign Overeem (who's been on fire at HW in Japan).

I think UFC is also trying to slot in Koscheck vs. the return of Frank Trig in there.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 31, 2009, 01:31:15 PM

Cro Cop confirmed he will fight Mostapha Al Turk during UFC 99 in Germany.

Overeem had to cancel the Rogers fight, scheduled June 6th, he nearly lost his hand hospitalising 5 bouncers after he got into an argument in which they hit his brother with a flashlight. The argument started because he didn't have any spare change on him to pay for using the toilet in a Dutch club. A cut on his hand developed a nasty infection and had his management not forced him to see a doctor he might have lost it. He'll be out for the summer.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #189 on: May 31, 2009, 01:50:44 PM

A Cro Cop fight doesn't mean much anymore either, UFC 99 still isn't worth the purchase.  I hope that the UFC sees the difference in sales between 99 and 100-102 and gets a clue.

You'd be better off getting Strikeforce on June 6th even without the Overeem title defense, the Lawler vs Shields fight is pretty huge for that weight class.  Those are both guys you wish the UFC would poach for the 170 division.  Diaz v Scott Smith (UFC/WEC guy, was in that epic finish fight w/ the liver punch) isn't that bad of a fight either if your a fan of the Diaz brothers, I'd rather see Arlovski fuck up some chump then Cro Cop.  Cavalcante is one to watch also, I got some of his highlights once somewhere and he looked pretty sick against weak opposition.

When the UFC's card doesn't look worlds better then some second tier promotion you know they are half assing it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:53:03 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: June 02, 2009, 01:23:50 AM

Looks like Kimbo Slice is going to be on the next UFC show. Complete gimmick but should be entertaining to watch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-kimbo060109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 05, 2009, 01:07:18 AM

Looks like Kimbo Slice is going to be on the next UFC show. Complete gimmick but should be entertaining to watch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-kimbo060109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The local late night sports talk guy here is buddies with Dana White and has him on all the time.  Over and over again, Dana has said that if Kimbo wants to fight in the UFC, he should go on Ultimate Fighter and earn his shot.

I don't think it's a gimmick.  I think Kimbo decided to expose himself for a shot at the big time.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:17 AM

Yeah, after all the shit he talked about Kimbo, I don't think he'd use him as a total gimmick.  Otherwise we'd be seeing a Lesnar vs Kimbo match instead.

Kinda excited about Faber vs Brown this Sunday.  Prediction:  I have no fucking idea what is going to happen.  I think Brown got lucky as hell with that punch last time (he nearly got killed by an elbow in the process), but up until that point he seemed to be keeping Faber off balanced.  Should be good.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:20 AM

Im sorry if you don't believe Kimbo is a gimmick. Have you ever seen the man fight? Dana keeps saying "if he wants a shot he can go on the show" knowing it will be great for ratings and the guy has no fucking chance. The same reasons he keeps "popular" guys on the show after kicking less popular people the out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: June 05, 2009, 09:37:09 AM

Small gimmick, yes.  Big gimmick, no.  It might be more of a "see, I told you so".

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: June 05, 2009, 11:45:12 AM

Whatever season Kimbo is on the show will be the ENTIRE focus of that season (unless he gets his ass beat right away). Didn't that kimbo vs nasty ear guy draw the largest crowd for an MMA event ever (or something like that?). Or most viewers?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 05, 2009, 03:14:11 PM

Well, it probably did, but that is largely because it was being shown on a major network during prime time. 

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #197 on: June 06, 2009, 10:26:08 PM

After watching Strikeforce...

I feel bad for Arlovski, its over for him and it looked like he knew it.

UFC needs to kiss some ass and swoop up the Diaz brothers and Jake Shields would add some depth to those divisions with some good fighters.

-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:27 PM

The Diaz brothers are ultra-douches and were average fighters in the UFC.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 07, 2009, 11:55:29 PM

Yeah, after all the shit he talked about Kimbo, I don't think he'd use him as a total gimmick.  Otherwise we'd be seeing a Lesnar vs Kimbo match instead.

Kinda excited about Faber vs Brown this Sunday.  Prediction:  I have no fucking idea what is going to happen.  I think Brown got lucky as hell with that punch last time (he nearly got killed by an elbow in the process), but up until that point he seemed to be keeping Faber off balanced.  Should be good.

Brown did get lucky as hell, and he had to be helped out of the arena; it looked like he could keel over at any time.

Well, lightning struck twice, because if Urijah didn't break his hand in the first round, Mike brown would have been hamburger.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: June 08, 2009, 03:08:43 AM

The younger one will be something someday. I think the older one isnt allowed to fight in the UFC, thought dana gave him the boot. Didnt Diaz Jr win the show, meaning he has a contract for several years? I think its 3 years?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: June 08, 2009, 06:52:18 AM

Brown did get lucky as hell, and he had to be helped out of the arena; it looked like he could keel over at any time.

Well, lightning struck twice, because if Urijah didn't break his hand in the first round, Mike brown would have been hamburger.

Yeah, I feel bad for Urijah.  I don't know if he wouldn't have killed Brown, but he certainly lost his advantage rather quickly upon breaking his hand.  I think that pretty much guarantees another rematch.  Assuming that Aldo guy doesn't clean out the division first.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #202 on: June 08, 2009, 01:43:45 PM

That flying double knee by Aldo was just sick.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 08, 2009, 03:55:38 PM

The Strikeforce card was a decent event, but.... the more I think about it, the more I feel like they took a couple steps backwards.   

- It just seemed like poor matchmaking:  They didn't choose fights that would be exciting or evenly matched,  but fights that were sure to be a viewing draw.  Most of the main card matches were over very quickly, or were very one sided.

- The catchweight fights have vigorously screwed up their divisions.  Lawler and Smith, the only two relatively well regarded MWs they have outside of Cung Le (who doesn't seem to want to fight anymore....) just had their legitimacy destroyed.  If Le wants to come back, who is he going to fight?

- Shields or Diaz should have been positioned this event to become the WW champ, which is currently vacant.  Should have really set up either one of them to fight the winner of Riggs/Baroni for a WW title match.  That's not counting the fact that Strikeforce pretty much destroyed Frank Shamrock's credibility a few months ago....

I guess they could still have Shields move up to MW and try to get Cung Le back for a title match,  and set up Riggs/Diaz II (Riggs beat Diaz in the UFC) for the WW strap....

Not to mention the LHW and HW situation that Strikeforce has going.  Babalu is the LHW champ, but he's been on more Affliction cards than Strikeforce cards and there's no indication he'll show up any time soon.  The only other decent HW, and current Strikeforce HW champ, that they have under contract is Overeem...  and he's been in more fights in Dream in Japan lately than Strikeforce fights.

The WEC card, on the other hand, was awesome.  Lots of fights made the broadcast, and there were some really good fights that didn't completely fuck up future fights.

- Brown and Faber was a decent fight, and the next challenger is obviously groomed in Aldo.
- Jurgunsen/Banuelos was a great back and forth fight.
- The Pulver fight was over quick, but Jens talking about retirement and how much he loved the sport afterwards was a good moment.
- Cerrone showed he's the man.  Looking forward to him rematching Varner for the LW strap.
- Dikun's flying triangle choke was all kinds of cool.

To me, the WEC card had a noticeably better feel/production setup then the Strikeforce broadcast.  Just a better flow.

I really think that Strikeforce needs to knock off the money-grabbing catchweight stuff, and concentrate on making entertaining and even matches.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 08, 2009, 04:14:12 PM

I don't think Nick can reliably make LW in the UFC, which would put him in WW.  Which is one of the deepest of the UFC's divisions.  GSP, Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, Hazelett, Anthony Johnson, and Swick all are big guys for 170 with either great striking or great ground games, or great both.  Even the mid-tier is pretty packed, with guys like Lytle, Davis, Hardy, etc.

Oh, and Kampmann (who had a good run at MW before Marquardt dominated him) and Condit (who was destroying WWs in the WEC).

The big negatives for Nick:
1. Inconsistent.  He randomly loses to guys that he should whoop, like Noons.  Or puts on an awful performance against third stringers, like Aina.
2. Personality.  His self-destructive impulses are fucking amazing.  Between getting in a brawl with Noons camp in the ring last summer, to testing positive for marijuana and getting his win against Gomi thrown out, to picking a fight with Riggs in the fucking hospital right after Riggs decisioned him his last stretch in the UFC.

I'd like to see Nick and Shields in the UFC, if for no other reason then they have no competition left outside of it.  But I don't have much hope that they would be anything else besides mid-tier fighters there.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 12, 2009, 12:31:29 AM

Hmm well UFC 100 turned out to be rather dull, none of the fights were particularly competitive save the first.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: July 12, 2009, 02:16:18 PM

Was fairly disappointed that they didn't show the prelim fight that resulted in 8 gallons of blood being sprayed around the ring.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:26 PM

Well, Henderson's rockem-sockem block knockoff of Bisping was worth the price alone.  I expect to see replays of that for years to come.

Also, I thought Alves performed admirably but it's pretty fun to watch GSP work an opponent over thoroughly.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: July 12, 2009, 03:57:42 PM

I wanted to see that fight too gryeyes.

GSP dominates another fight; if Alves wasn't such a one dimensional fighter it might have been a better matchup. Shame there isn't anyone left in the weight class to challenge GSP.

Lesnar showed a much improved game against Mir; he took his time and imposed his will, rather than go balls out and get caught in a sub.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #209 on: July 12, 2009, 08:35:00 PM

Shame there isn't anyone left in the weight class to challenge GSP.

He better go up after this. I hope to hell he does, it would be very interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: