Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA  (Read 265590 times)
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: July 07, 2013, 12:00:53 PM

I laughed my ass off when I saw him get knocked out.

Greatest UFC moment ever.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: July 07, 2013, 01:40:22 PM

Silva loses and looks like a fool doing so.  Love it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #597 on: July 07, 2013, 02:21:53 PM

The head thing is just what he does. He doesn't keep his hands up like most fighters and in fact often sticks his head in and dares the other fighter to try to hit his head and often that's when he'll land a counter punch that'll take down his opponent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: July 07, 2013, 03:40:54 PM

A troll has been slain.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #599 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:24 PM

The head thing is just what he does. He doesn't keep his hands up like most fighters and in fact often sticks his head in and dares the other fighter to try to hit his head and often that's when he'll land a counter punch that'll take down his opponent.

And it was great to finally see it backfire on him.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 08, 2013, 05:12:30 AM

For Anderson, there is a fine line between trying to psyche out an opponent while in the ring, baiting an impatient fighter and then clobbering with a counterpunch, and outright clowning around and not taking things seriously enough.  We have seen him do all three.  I'm not really sure what this one was, but it was only a matter of time before someone caught him and made him pay for it.  For what it's worth, I really like the Anderson Silva who uses this as a counter-punching technique, because it is absolutely devasting.  I fucking hate the Anderson who clowns around.

I could see him going into a rematch and punching Weidman's face off.  I could also see him going in and being tentative and aloof, because now there must a be a little part of him that really doesn't want to get KTFO again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #601 on: November 17, 2013, 11:58:17 AM

I like GSP but I don't think there was any way he won that fight. I know when you get guys like him who have had the title for a long time that scoring tends to go a little bit in their favor since nobody wants to see a winning streak like that end with a close decision, but Hendricks beat the shit out GSP. I don't know if it's a problem with the judges or just with the scoring system in general. Credit to GSP though for making it through those first couple rounds.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: December 28, 2013, 09:54:16 PM

I don't think I'm going to get the screams of Anderson Silva out of my head any time soon.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #603 on: December 28, 2013, 10:13:27 PM

ACK!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: December 28, 2013, 10:27:00 PM

I like GSP but I don't think there was any way he won that fight. I know when you get guys like him who have had the title for a long time that scoring tends to go a little bit in their favor since nobody wants to see a winning streak like that end with a close decision, but Hendricks beat the shit out GSP. I don't know if it's a problem with the judges or just with the scoring system in general. Credit to GSP though for making it through those first couple rounds.
The GSP fight was as bad as Jones' last bullshit decision win.

Also tonight's fight was brutal, and probably the end of Anderson's career. I didn't like the guy at all, but he didn't deserve to go out like that.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #605 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:27 AM

I don't think I'm going to get the screams of Anderson Silva out of my head any time soon.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: December 29, 2013, 09:24:35 AM

Meh, he'll be alright.  I'm sure he'll make millions off of his new action figure.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: December 29, 2013, 10:04:25 AM

awesome, for real

It kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the GOAT goes out like that, but you have to admit...the guy has built up some pretty bad karma over the years.  Maybe the universe is paying him back.  The worst part of it all is that Weidman now has two asterisks next to his claim to the belt.  Poor guy will never be able to prove that he could really, REALLY beat Anderson, despite having done so twice as far as the record book is concerned.  Despite clearly winning round one, part of me still thinks that Anderson was going to put leather to his brain at any second.  We'll never know.  I don't predict he will have a long reign, but we will see.

Also - while I still have trouble watching women punch each other in the face, I cannot deny that the Rousey/Tate fight was really entertaining.  That girl has some stupid good judo.  The ground stuff is so different with the women, because they are so ridiculously flexible.  They can attempt shit the men can't even consider.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: December 30, 2013, 06:26:16 AM

I was originally not that interested in women fighters but I have to say in the MMA setting they are hella entertaining. Its like the feather weight guys really fast really active and flexible as hell. Not to many striking knock outs but damn they all fire off submission after submission attempt pretty crazy ground game and I have not seen one where the fighters gassed really badly which is nice after watching so many mens matches at the higher weight classes be one round of action and two rounds of exhausted panting.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: December 30, 2013, 05:26:24 PM

Every picture i see of Silva's leg breaking looks like a really bad photoshop, if i hadn't seen it i wouldn't believe it.  I mean, come on.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #610 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:32 PM

Odd that it happened so soon after the Kevin Ware injury. That's not 3 times I've seen that particular break in sports. Ware, Silva, and Tyrone Prothro.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:31 PM

Tonight's card was a big batch of disappointment. First Carlos gets hurt in a fight he was winning, causing Woodley to call out for a title shot he absolutely doesn't deserve. Then Hendricks wins with a bullshit decision that I guess is supposed to make up for getting robbed against GSP last go-round. Meh.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: March 17, 2014, 09:42:21 PM

I keep hearing that it was a bullshit decision, but I can't see how. I had Johnny winning rounds 1,2 and 5 with Robbie winning 3 and 4. Robbie may have won rounds 3 and 4 by a greater margin than Johnny won any of his three rounds, but neither of them deserved to be 10-8 rounds. Ah well, to each their own I guess, I really enjoyed the fight, though the rest of the card wasn't great.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:07 PM

I had Hendricks winning 1 and 5, Robbie 2, 3 and 4 as did the other 3 guys I was watching it with. At this point I'm not even surprised at a bad judges call, since that's all we've had lately in the title fights (GSP's last, Jones vs Gustafsson, etc.).

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: December 07, 2014, 03:16:13 PM

Looks like former WWE wrestler/champion CM Punk is coming to the UFC.  I don't know if this is going to turn out at well as it did for Brock Lesnar considering at least Lesnar was a former NCAA wrestling champion while Punk has no such background and has only been dabbling in MMA skills over the years.  He has trained quite a bit with the Gracie's over the years and is supposedly proficient in BJJ so maybe he might not embarrass himself.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11991124/cm-punk-joins-ufc-fight-2015
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: January 18, 2015, 10:10:48 PM

Connor McGregor of Clan McGregor!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: January 19, 2015, 11:50:21 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #617 on: January 20, 2015, 02:29:46 AM

His walk to the ring looked like a scene straight out of Snatch's outtakes. I wonder if he's aware of that and is riding it a bit. Anyway, great moves. I'll still put my money on Aldo though. What worries me is that the UFC is pushing him so much that if it'll ever get to a close decision Aldo is doomed by default.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: January 20, 2015, 02:28:44 PM

You know you've cleaned out the division when the #5 contender gets a title shot by beating the #10 contender  awesome, for real
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: March 01, 2015, 12:53:43 AM

That Rousey/Zingano fight reminded me of some nature film where a speedy bug tries to take on a mantis and just gets instra-grabbed and its head bit off.

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: March 01, 2015, 02:08:29 AM

She's amazing.  Those transitions are insane, I don't think there are any men who do them nearly as well.  I am sure it is amplified by the level of competition she faces, but still.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: August 01, 2015, 10:27:46 PM

LOL. Rousey one punch KO 34 seconds in.

EDIT: Ok, seen it now. Not just one punch, but just beat the hell out of her in 34 sec.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:40:24 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: August 01, 2015, 11:38:12 PM

Bethe had no business being in the ring with Rousey.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: August 02, 2015, 06:43:33 PM

Bethe had no business being in the ring with Rousey.

Has anyone?  Rousey is so far above her "competitors" that at this point I'm starting to think she's doing more harm to women's MMA than she is helping it.  She makes everyone else look like complete jokes and non-factors. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:41 PM

The only one that's given her some work is Miesha Tate in the second fight.  It is funny that there are still Rousey haters that say she's over rated.  She's not gonna fight Cyborg til he makes the 135 weight, so it'll prolly never happen. 

Also Rousey vs  Correia in gif format here.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: August 02, 2015, 08:08:43 PM

I'm not even going to try to posture, she would kick my ass so hard that I might actually die.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #626 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:52 PM

The only one that's given her some work is Miesha Tate in the second fight.  It is funny that there are still Rousey haters that say she's over rated.  She's not gonna fight Cyborg til he makes the 135 weight, so it'll prolly never happen. 

I like how she didn't try to grapple with Correia when Correia went to the ground and preferred to smash her face in instead when she got up. Correia shouldn't have taunted Rousey about her dad's suicide.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: August 02, 2015, 08:50:09 PM

I like how she didn't try to grapple with Correia when Correia went to the ground and preferred to smash her face in instead when she got up. Correia shouldn't have taunted Rousey about her dad's suicide.

Yeah, when the ref pulls her off you can see that shit eating grin on Rousey's face.  Either way, Correia deserved it and she's lucky Rousey didn't draw it out to punish her.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: August 02, 2015, 09:30:26 PM

Has anyone?  Rousey is so far above her "competitors" that at this point I'm starting to think she's doing more harm to women's MMA than she is helping it.  She makes everyone else look like complete jokes and non-factors. 
Agreed. She isn't interesting to watch anymore because she outclasses her opponents by such a large margin; the division is sort of a dud since there's no one actually in title contention.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #629 on: August 03, 2015, 06:44:43 AM

Agreed. She isn't interesting to watch anymore because she outclasses her opponents by such a large margin; the division is sort of a dud since there's no one actually in title contention.

Someone needs to get to her and explain that she's damaging her long-term potential with these short fights. It's the gladiator idea. You're not the best because you can kill quickly, you're the best because you win the crowd. You make the best spectacle. A 30 second fight isn't entertainment other than putting it on vines and blurbs for social media. If you're paying for that, you're pissed it didn't last longer and wondering why anyone should bother getting in the ring.

There has to be a reward for watching a fight. Watching the cat stalk the mouse before killing is much more entertaining than simple bite and blood in 5 seconds.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MMA  
Jump to: