Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Double Exp Weekend and New Rewards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Double Exp Weekend and New Rewards  (Read 22206 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 07:18:26 PM

I ran the ITF last night (not 2XP, obviously) and netted about 4.5 million inf. Plus drops (not a lot of good ones, but enough middling ones that will sell okay).

We skipped some fights in the 4th mission, or else we probably could have been a lot higher in terms of in-game returns.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 07:06:31 AM

How often do they have these?

I'm still subbed although haven't played in a month.  Since I finally unsubbed from Toontown (after years of being inactive but I wanted to continue to support it and besides, maybe my kids would start to play again!), CoX has taken over my inactive-but-subbed game.

I think I would play double exp weekend though.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:33 PM

I'm still subbed although haven't played in a month.  Since I finally unsubbed from Toontown (after years of being inactive but I wanted to continue to support it and besides, maybe my kids would start to play again!), CoX has taken over my inactive-but-subbed game.

Not often.

However, if you haven't played since Issue 11, you can get that double XP feeling right now if you know where to look. Bosses are worth twice what they were in I11, and lieutenants 50% more. Enemies from 13-20 and from 25 on have had their rewards boosted from 20% to 50%. So basically anything you kill at 30 or above that isn't a minion is giving you relatively double XP.

With the boosts I was able to get a character up to 20 from the tutorial in about two and a half hours - well, it was with an SG and they were twinking him, but my newbie ice shields were enough to cap the team's defense.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

The next scheduled 2x weekend is not until January 23rd 2009. Like Glazius said, though, leveling is quite a bit faster now than it was before especially if you play in a large groups to maximize the number of LTs and Bosses you encounter.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 05:32:21 AM

The next scheduled 2x weekend is not until January 23rd 2009. Like Glazius said, though, leveling is quite a bit faster now than it was before especially if you play in a large groups to maximize the number of LTs and Bosses you encounter.

From 40-50 it's still pretty slow going solo.  I can usually play for an hour or two before burnout sets in on my 45 scrapper and a 2h play session doesn't net me much xp.  Of course, travel plays a big part in my play time.  I bet I spend 80% of my time getting from mission to mission or to contacts.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 05:37:18 AM

If you do the Radio or Portal Corp. missions in PI or one of the "unlimited mission dispensers" (e.g. Borea in RWZ) there's a lot less travelling required.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:59 AM

If you do the Radio or Portal Corp. missions in PI or one of the "unlimited mission dispensers" (e.g. Borea in RWZ) there's a lot less travelling required.

I did the missions that the roman guy gave (they seemed repeatable) to save on travel time.  That's good advice.  I still have this addiction to story arcs.  Some of the backstory is fun to read. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:53 AM

Yes they are.

Unfortunately thanks to a series of incredibly stupid design decisions it's virtually impossible to enjoy all the story lines and level up at a reasonable pace.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:51 AM

Yes they are.

Unfortunately thanks to a series of incredibly stupid design decisions it's virtually impossible to enjoy all the story lines and level up at a reasonable pace.

Ouroboros fixes that problem.  After level 25 you can go back and do any arcs or badge missions you missed.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 06:06:02 AM

Ouroboros fixes that problem.  After level 25 you can go back and do any arcs or badge missions you missed.

I've been selfishly saving that option for when I hit 50.  I figured my end game would be new costumes, time travel, and badge collection.  Oh... and spending a bajillion inspiration on invention enhancements.

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 06:11:33 AM

Yes they are.

Nope you can't go back and do all the story lines, only some of them. I.e. there are contacts that have really story arcs but don't generate the "story book" icon. Also you aren't getting exp from doing the Flashback missions you've outlevelled. Nor does doing the Flashback missions "unlock" the contact in the real world which is a real fricking pain in the ass if you need to go buy some inspirations real quick and you don't have an unlocked contact in the zone nearby (yet another fricking stupid design decision).

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 06:14:55 AM

Nope you can't go back and do all the story lines, only some of them. I.e. there are contacts that have really story arcs but don't generate the "story book" icon. Also you aren't getting exp from doing the Flashback missions you've outlevelled. Nor does doing the Flashback missions "unlock" the contact in the real world which is a real fricking pain in the ass if you need to go buy some inspirations real quick and you don't have an unlocked contact in the zone nearby (yet another fricking stupid design decision).

Ewww.  Looks like my motivation to get to 50 should be focused on leveling a warshade or peacebringer alt with a friend.  That or take another long break... again.

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 06:31:10 AM

I wouldn't worry about. At the level you are now I'm sure you've missed out on a bunch of storylines that you have no way of doing on your current character awesome, for real

Cryptic really did make it virtually impossible to do them all. Multiple contacts give out the same sets of missions so it's a incredible PITA to try and keep track of which mission sets you've done and not done (thankful paragonwiki.com exists now, in the old days it was a nightmarish task) and of course just to screw with you some more the initial set of contacts you get is based on your Origin type so to really go through them all you need characters with all the different origins swamp poop and even with the same origin types there's some "randomness" in terms of the contact chain you get. Oh and you'll need a PB and a WS too (they have their own special storylines).

Edit: of storylines
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:35:42 AM by Trippy »
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 06:59:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about. At the level you are now I'm sure you've missed out on a bunch of storylines that you have no way of doing on your current character awesome, for real

Cryptic really did make it virtually impossible to do them all. Multiple contacts give out the same sets of missions so it's a incredible PITA to try and keep track of which mission sets you've done and not done (thankful paragonwiki.com exists now, in the old days it was a nightmarish task) and of course just to screw with you some more the initial set of contacts you get is based on your Origin type so to really go through them all you need characters with all the different origins swamp poop and even with the same origin types there's some "randomness" in terms of the contact chain you get. Oh and you'll need a PB and a WS too (they have their own special storylines).

Edit: of storylines

You only get one of the contacts for each set of missions, though. At least each major book arc. Red book and yellow book arcs are both flashbackable, and I think you can start yellow book arcs even if you've outleveled them when you talk to a contact with no yellow book arcs open.

Of course, then you're locked into an extended mission chain full of enemies that are grey to you.

I can't believe you're complaining that, essentially, leveling up is too fast.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 07:03:23 AM

I don't think that's his objection.  It's that no matter what you do, you require several characters to enjoy the complete line of story arcs.  Even then, the random aspects prevent you from obtaining them predictably. 

-  Mark Twain
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:06 AM

I don't think that's his objection.  It's that no matter what you do, you require several characters to enjoy the complete line of story arcs.  Even then, the random aspects prevent you from obtaining them predictably. 

Ah. I would like a bit more there, maybe something to lock a story arc from showing up until you've got the contact's number at least, and then it always shows up as a third option. I think they got a little overly aggressive trying to push them on people in the early years, so somebody's first mission could be a story arc, meaning in the later levels lots of running back until you get the number.

I think I was able to get the entire collection of storyarcs in COV by remaining in debt all the time, but obviously this is not a long-term viable strategy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:54 AM

You only get one of the contacts for each set of missions, though.
Yes that's true but if you start a new character it's a PITA to keep track of whether or not the contact that's being offered to you has a set of missions you've already done before on another character.

I can't believe you're complaining that, essentially, leveling up is too fast.
No that's not what I'm complaining about. I'm complaining that you can outlevel contacts in a game that is built around being to go up and down levels and having things scale to your level -- i.e. there's absolutely no reason why contacts should be outlevel-able (and the whole excuse about certain enemy groups only being for a certain level range is a load of crap as well).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Double Exp Weekend and New Rewards  
Jump to: