Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: "What do you think?" asks Game Informer, which I made the mistake of reading. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "What do you think?" asks Game Informer, which I made the mistake of reading.  (Read 29743 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: June 26, 2008, 08:20:35 AM

\"What do you think?\" asks Game Informer, which I made the mistake of reading.

In the new Game Informer there’s a survey of (over!) 1,300 people. Apparently Game Informer is as confused as the public. See, the two questions posed here were about ‘which third-party publishers do you trust to make good games’ and ‘which developers do you trust to make good games?’ Full proper questions, with notes are below. But the results are absolutely dumb-founding and would’ve been great fodder for Game Informer to educate the public on how not to be gibbering malfunctioning retards. Instead, they went the opposite direction and continue to let the public be gibbering malfunctioning retards. Click 'read more' to find out why Game Informer occupies the bottom rung of the gaming press ladder.

» Read More
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:10 AM

The second graph lines up in a straight line? Smells made up.

"Me am play gods"
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:59:31 AM

It all smells like bollocks. The retarded masses of gamers don't know the difference between Bioware Austin and Bioware Edmonton? Outside of the game industry, gaming press, and fan sites, who gives a good god damn?

As far as the average gamer cares, Halo, Guitar Hero, and World of Warcraft came from Best Buy or from Amazon. If they happen to get some brand recognition by seeing the developer's name on the box, that's about as good as you can hope for.

Sociopaths who follow the careers of individual devs, and who care which development house got borged up by which monolithic gaming giant, are in the minority.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
driph
Developers

Jet Set Games

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:00:58 AM

As GI is shilled out to folks at the counter, my guess would be that, out of all the print rags, they probably have the highest number of readers who use the magazine as their sole source of gaming news. From that point of view, it's an interesting look at the perception of industry leaders from a demographic that doesn't often jump into the conversation. The lists are almost ranked in order of advertising budget (which is why we'll probably never see any followup to correct the public perception).

Chris
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:29 AM

I'm with Hutch, but this is one of my favorite parts of f13, when Schild gets riled up the good times roll.  Also please god let there be lurkers who come to edumacate us on this issue.

Tbh though, I couldn't give less of a fuck who is making good games.  I read f13 and ask RL friends and even sometimes plunge into the fetid sewage of an ebgames.com comment threads when I'm looking for insight.  When I last had a gaming mag sub I had just entered high school and I thought Coconut Monkey was le'awesome.  

Should we poll f13 and see if we get better results?  Honestly I dont think you would if you forced everyone to respond, what you would get instead is under 100 responses for anybody but Blizzard who would garner more like 500+.  Because most f13 readers dont know/care any more then the smucks who responded to Game Informer.  But unlike them, we know how little we know/care and wouldn't respond to a fucking poll that we dont know/care about!

The issue here is that the mouthbreathing, lowest common denominator worms that make up Joe Public think they know shit, when they dont.  Also polls are stupid.  For proof, feel free to visit our lovely politics board and read the epic primary thread.

Loved the post though, it made me laugh even though I hardly have any clue as to why your so angry.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:02:05 PM

Meh?  I'm not sure what's going on?  We're railing at Game Informer for shitty poll?

What is the point of this article?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:43 PM

I admit that I care -- at least with the smaller dev teams that have built good things in the past. If I hear Naughty Dog or Team Ico are making a game, then I will look forward to it without even knowing what it's about.

My concern isn't industry wide though. Just like it isn't with movies. There are only a few directors that I absolutely look forward to seeing more from, and only a few that I absolutely detest. The rest are...pretty much transparent. Same with designers/developers.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:38 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:16:45 PM

The absolute biggest problem with this questionnaire is that it appears to rate all studio houses across all respondents. This is just plain wrong. What they should have rated (and maybe they did - I haven't read the full article, nor have I seen the full results, but those graphs tell a big story on their own) is awareness of the brand. Or allow for a "don't know" option on the question. Then base the results on people who have actually heard of them. This at least allows niche brands to compete with the big boys on the grouns for something as nebulous as 'trust'.

Actually, a "which of these companies have you heard of before today?" would have been a very telling measure.

That said, if NCsoft is putting any ads into GI, they should just pull them now. GI obviously isn't their market.

It's sad that such a basic frequency analysis appears to count as in-depth industry coverage.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:29:46 PM

Meh?  I'm not sure what's going on?  We're railing at Game Informer for shitty poll?

What is the point of this article?

What were you expecting? All the front page articles are just random ranting on whatever topic strikes schilds fancy, it's just that for the front page he makes them long.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:01 PM

an article that tells me another article suck.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:47 PM

an article that tells me another article suck.

Would've been poignant without the fuckiness of your grammar.

I admit that I care -- at least with the smaller dev teams that have built good things in the past. If I hear Naughty Dog or Team Ico are making a game, then I will look forward to it without even knowing what it's about.

Team ICO was folded into SCEI. And then left off the list along with SCEE, SCEA and SCEI. But hay, Nintendo is there.

Whoever made the survey should be put in a bag and beaten to death with an original Xbox controller.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:51:58 PM by schild »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:55:38 PM

It's a bad question. How much do you trust <insert company name here>?
I wonder if NCSoft would react at all to this article. Saying a game is rated 68% already warranted a lawsuit in Germany (Atari), but saying it's the least trustworthy among other companies surveyed? Wtf

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:50 PM

I know it's a bad question. In fact, the whole situation stinks so bad that I wrote an article about it. It wasn't just an article that existed to talk about how another article sucked. It was more about how GI should be educating instead of placating and how the biggest face of the gaming press is nothing but a bunch of mongoloid jackasses who are doing nothing to help the industry. Other than be a completely ad-driven hypebeast entity, of course.

Also, what did NCSoft expect? Exteel, Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault - all made of pure suck. Lineage 2? Suck. City of Heroes? Who cares. Grind was mind-numbing. Dungeon Runners - theoretically good if the handful of people on it would stop dicking around and make with the serious every once in a while. The company is a fucking mess. Of all the companies listed, I'm actually in agreement with how they should be trusted. The rest of the list is suspect though. Both lists.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:14:15 PM

I like how they skewed the X-axis to drastically exaggerate the differences between the top and bottom.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:21 PM

That too. But what bothers me more, is they obviously collected enough data to write at least 4-8 pages on this and have what would probably be the most interesting article they've ever had or will ever have. Instead, I suppose they figured the following: People who read GI can't read. That's the only thing I can come up with to explain this horrible "industry analysis."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:35 AM

Isn't Game Informer that advertising rag you get foisted on you in GameStop?

Time to go drinking.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 11:09:14 AM

Games press sucks monkey ass for loose change. Film at 11.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

dannyBstyle
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:34:28 PM

I give this commentary a 4...............................................................................................

..............out of 5.

Mainstream gaming press sucks. Just like mainstream media sucks. This whole article reeks of the "mien's bettur then urs" mentality that the "mainstream" gamer possesses. My older brother called me once simply to say that "OMG THE PS3 IS GOING TO BE 9 TIMES BETTER THAN XBOX".

And so, for once, I agree with schild. These mongoloids may never emerge from their cocoons of sweet, cheeto-stained ignorance. But articles like these simply turn complex relationships between multiple dynamic factors into "MINES BIGGUR". Fight the Power. Cause I'd rather fight the Man.

Good Read

Heart

-danny

MAH NAME IS DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNY B

microwaveyourbaby.com
Salvator
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:07 AM

I would venture to guess that the majority of gamers, whether they be the average gamer who plays whatever they find fun or the obsessed mouth breathers who write thesis on why Ken Troop failed at Turbine, get there gaming news online.

The era of game magazines and the journalism contained within is obviously over. At this point, writing an article about how old media fails is like choking a 2-legged puppy with a life-endangering birth defect.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:07:08 PM

Hm...I never thought about using a birth defect to choke somebody...I always use my hands...interesting idea.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:07 PM

Your hands are obviously life endangering, then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: "What do you think?" asks Game Informer, which I made the mistake of reading.  
Jump to: