Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:09:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures - Traveler's Tales Ltd. - Any 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures - Traveler's Tales Ltd. - Any  (Read 6536 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: June 10, 2008, 05:46:02 PM

I'm going to just go ahead and assume you have played one of the LEGO Star Wars games.  If not, you suck.  If so, then you will be pleased to know that the Indiana Jones version surpasses those games within the first few minutes.  It's really as much of a sequel as you might think, however the puzzles are tougher right off the bat and the comedy has been kicked up a couple of notches.  If you liked LEGO Star Wars, you have to get this.  Shit, I hope you have played the Complete Saga of LEGO Star Wars, because that's gaming gold right there.

If you don't have any idea what I am talking about, this game is basically a shoot-em-up platformer in the nebulous subgenre of Ratchet & Clank.  It also has obscene amounts of unlockables, hidden items and visual comedy.  You'll play through the first three Indiana Jones movies as the characters from that chapter.  After completing sections of the story, you go back to replay using any character you have unlocked... one of which has a rocket launcher.  It's in this Free Play mode where you will dig out the secret items and gags.  Loads of fun.

Note to you guys who want your women to play with you: this game and/or the Star Wars variants will probably do the trick.  Worked for me and a close friend.  Also, I made so many Count Dooku jokes that I made my wife pee herself.  True.

-

Buy

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:05:12 PM

So you're saying that Lego Indiana Jones is so good you'll piss yourself?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:34:30 PM

Bought it last week, and played through the first level on the weekend. It was pretty fun, but being a trilogy instead of a sextupology(?) the levels seem to be a little padded or extended beyond what a LSW level might be. An example would be the very first level - by the time Indy gets out of the opening temple (with rolling boulder, etc) there's a played sequence of getting to the plane and repairing it, which would have just been a cutscene in LSW.

The cast of characters is also going to be on the weaker side, with extra padding, as the Indy films are hero-centred while the SW films are ensemble based. Like, the Indy films have of interest:

Indy. His Dad. um.. Short Round, Gimili, um.. 3 different disposable love interests. Random nobodies like Belloch.

Compared to SW, with Han/Chewie/Luke/Leia/Obi/R2/3PO/Darth/Mace/JarJar/Yoda/Qui-Gon/Maul/the Emp. And that's without touching the second-string Jedi like Ki-Adi-Mundi/Aayla Secura/Plo Koon/Kit Fisto or the Boba Fetts and Greedos.

So based on this and the fact that opening-stage Indy doesn't have a pistol, I expect there will be much more use of Indy-in-slightly-different-outfit in this one, which will make the multiple-Indys more or less the same as a pile of the LSW jedi, only even more samey.

It was fun enough though. I didn't piss myself, and I'll have to see if the formula is played by the time I get a decent way through, but yeah. Not complaining about having bought it. I look forward to Lego Batman. Seems like it will be a lot more strongly character-based.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:41:07 AM

Not having a pistol is indeed a pain.

I probably should have waited to get the extra-special version when they add in the latest movie.  Oh well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:44:20 PM

Well if the thing is fun, then that's all you can really ask, after all. My main point is that the majority of the characters are going to be "whothefuckisthatguy?" muchmoreso than the LSW game. Well, that, and most stages will be Indy+some random.

He's only neutered and gunless at the start so you can be excited later when they give you the exact same Indy, but with a pistol as well!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:11:26 PM

I don't know who any of these characters are except Indy, Rhys-Davies and Short Round.  But yes, it's very fun even with near-anonymous characters.  LEGO Batman will be a hoot, and LEGO Bladerunner will be be the bee's knees.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:17 PM

Talking about Rhys-Davies made me think about how good a LotR Lego game could be.

Nice ensemble cast where there are still important characters outside of the core Fellowship (-Elrond, Galadriel, Theoden, Eomer, Faramir, Eowyn, Arwen, Gollum, etc) different kinds of adventure and setting, plenty of combat..

Damn, now I want one.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:59 PM

Too much walking. Too little funny.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:51 AM

The Lego games compress and/or cut out the walking, and add in their own lame/cute humour anyway.

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:14:00 AM

When I played through Star Wars, it was all jokes from the actual movies or exaggerated situations. The only way to make LOTRO funny would be to steal from Clerks 2 but then it would be a 3 minute game.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:28 AM

Yes, exaggerated situations. And foozle whacking.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:32:58 PM

The jokes in LEGO Indiana Jones are also sometimes Star Wars jokes.  This is a good thing, because it's funny.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 05:51:15 AM

I actually got this game for father's day. I am liking it quite a bit. I loves me some Indiana Jones, so I think that I may like it more than it may deserve, but I am having a lot of fun with it.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:47 PM

Played a little more. Levels are far too long, and has it's head stuck right up it's own arse with some of these WTF? "puzzles". Not a fail, but not a win either, by any means.

I'm also disliking the whole "pick up tools" aspect of it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures - Traveler's Tales Ltd. - Any  
Jump to: