Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: Gen Con '08 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gen Con '08  (Read 8673 times)
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:49 AM

Anyone going this year?  We have 6 of us from my town coming up (I just got approval for vacation time), we have the kids with us, so not too rowdy of a crowd.  I'm all for meeting up with anyone and having some grub and drinks.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:49:56 PM

I'm not going (you know - whole different country thing) but would like to throw in an early plea for someone going to report back on the Champions Online demostrations that are meant to be going on. Apparently you'll be able to see Jack Emmert everywhere - he'll be parking your car, taking your bags to your room, fixing you a drink and take you out dancing after - but I'd like to hear what ChampO is actually like (since you should be able to play it there if I understand things correctly).

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:51 AM

<--- Going to Gencon...OZ next week. So far their organization for games has been hopeless, i hope it works out better on the day of the con.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:11 PM

Was a great time, need to do a write up on Champions Online, Warhammer Online, and all the other stuff I got to see.  Damn work...
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:53:58 PM

Gen Con 2008:

Went to the convention with my son and I, we got to see a lot of things, I’ll just post them from what game we watched, played, or talked to a developer (and yes I’m a dumb ass for leaving my camera at home):

Champions Online:  Got to talk to two developers, they were very straightforward and I felt sorry for them as most people would come up and ask, “How is this better than City of Hero’s?”  I didn’t get the names but here is what they told me:
1.   Open ended character design, with no arch types.  You want to be a healer with melee and ranged attack?  Sure!  Want to be a specialized healing type?  Sure.  They said that there will be basic attacks of ranged and melee and travel powers (I was thinking you start off with travel powers…could be wrong).  They say this is due to a lot of support for no arch type on the official forums.
2.   Solo and group content.  You can solo to level 40 without ever grouping and there will be high level stuff to do at 40 for both solo and groups.
3.   Arch Nemesis development.  You get to pick your arch rival, and give a story and powers to him and program him to do different things from trying to break up a mission, attacking your base, or ambushing you.
4.   They want to have Xbox 360 and PC up and running on release, and all will play on the same servers, Xbox and PC.  The game was set up for use of the Xbox 360 controller, it ran pretty smooth and was responsive to the controls on the mice/keyboard or controller.
5.   Diablo II, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and/or X-men video games were more how this played.  It had a feel of you had to get in range and hit them with the melee or ranged attacks.  You weren’t waiting for them or waiting a turn, it was more run and gun.  The villains seemed to give clues on what they were doing so you could dodge there attacks or block it.  You could pick up things in the environment and chuck it or smash on the bad guys.
6.   Super Groups and Super Group bases will be in, but they couldn’t show us how those were working.  Forgot to ask if you have to have a super group to get a hideout/base.
7.   Travel powers were super speed, super jump, flying, and teleport.
8.   There will be different zones, but the zones are pretty big, with different missions in them.  We got to use the zone with a Wild West robot dude ranch gone haywire and Area 51.  If you go to another zone there will be a loading time.  They had some ideas on instances but didn’t get to go into detail on that.
9.   Costume and character generation was not ready for public display, so we couldn’t check that out, other than they said almost all parts will be available when you make a character.
10.   They will have loot!  They didn’t go into detail as to how powerful, but they said it was more in the utility thing, because they want the main powers to work more than the loot.  Although the loot stuff they showed had some neat ideas, like you could put on gloves that have a chance for you to root them in place when you hit them with an attack, or stuff that makes you heal faster.  All the loot is useable by everyone, just that once you equip it you can’t trade it with another character, plus you had back pack slots.  No word on if you get a bank or apartment or storage bin to store stuff.  He did say that some items will let you do stuff, like if your group needs a healer, and you got some gear that would change you up to help with healing if needed.
11.   Group size is five people right now.  No word on raid size or pvp size.
12.   Ability to make villains won’t be in on launch.  Didn’t get to go further on this issue.
13.   Your basic attacks power up and endurance bar, and that bar allow you to do higher level of attacks.  So in theory all of your attacks are needed.

I’m probably forgetting something, and I wish I had wrote down the names of the two gentlemen I talked to, as they were really nice and gave a ton of information.

Warhammer Online:
Public Play Test, so what I saw and did, the Mythic personal said I could come back and yap at on the net to all you guys and gals.  I’m sure what I’m writing about isn’t that big of deal to you all that are in beta, but it was brand new to me.  I got to play test it, along with my son and his friend.

1.   RvR was 2 even teams of level 21 characters and it was capture the flag and bring it back to your base.  I got to try it as a White Lion.
2.   PvE was level 1-5 run around and check out the starting areas.  Got to try that out as a Dwarf Engineer.
3.   Felt DAoC’ish but was easy to understand the controls and go out on the quests.
4.   RvR was okay.  They didn’t have the siege warfare up and running for the play test, so it felt like WoW battlegrounds.  I heard that a lot from the other players and from the kids with me.
5.   One of the developer commented that it would be nice to add commander and squad leader abilities like battlefield has, he said they don’t have something that will allow squads and platoons to group up and have objectives set by the players yet.  All that they let us try was the capture the flag battle, with ability to set a group up for that battle.
6.   I’m mixed on how fast you will level to cap and then go RvR.  If you level slow to cap, I don’t see a lot of people switching over to it.  Hopefully they won’t make it so it takes forever to level up.  My gut feeling is that it will be too slow, especially on the play test.
7.   The poor pregnant gal who kept answering questions and restarting the computers deserves a raise.

Sony Online Entertainment had Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game Champions of the Force.
1.   Was a pretty neat online card game.
2.   You get free boosters packs while being subscribed to SOE Galaxies
3.   Played pretty easy and fast
4.   They gave out free SW Galaxies games

I’ll write some more tomorrow.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:59 AM

Thanks Jimbo.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: Gen Con '08  
Jump to: