Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes  (Read 87993 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: April 24, 2008, 05:07:29 AM

Review: Persona 3 Fes

Editors note: This review was submitted by Cory J. Someone who lives in Arizona, near me (schild), and was willing to play through the new content so I could start over as I wanted the "full experience." I'm not really going to say anything about this review other than "we warned you." Without further ado, I present you with... well... this.

If you haven't played the original Persona 3 let me start off by telling you exactly how much I hate you. There are no known English words that come to mind that can accurate sum up how much I want bad things to happen near and to you. It reminds me of this one time a yellow VW bug pulled up alongside of me. Two problems here:

1. I hate bugs.
2. It was yellow.

I wanted bad things to happen to this car and its occupants. Like, say, immediate death. This all-together dangerous and violent feeling that was surging through my body was only heightened when they pulled slightly ahead to reveal a plush yellow bug in the window and a vanity license plate that read, "luvmybug." Trying to remember how to breathe, I raced past them at full speed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the passenger and driver. Both were relavitely old, and by justifying that nature would take my revenge soon enough, if cancer wasn't already, I was able to calm down. Now, in retrospect they never really did anything to offend me, but if you're reading this and haven't played Persona 3, you have. Keep that in mind because in a minute I'm going to tell you all to shoot yourselves in the face. And no not in a clever way to tie in a Persona reference, mainly I just want you dead. You deserve it for being thick.

» Read More
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:34:48 AM

How long is the new content?  Ten hours?  Sixty?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:36:34 AM

How long is the new content?  Ten hours?  Sixty?

Did you read it at all?

He didn't finish it.

Did you read it at all?

He'll probably read this.

Did you read it at all?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:39:29 AM

Yes.  I was expecting an intelligent answer, perhaps from someone who HAS finished the game.  Or has maybe read something, somewhere, that said "feautring x hours of additional gameplay."
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:15 AM

Yes.  I was expecting an intelligent answer, perhaps from someone who HAS finished the game.  Or has maybe read something, somewhere, that said "feautring x hours of additional gameplay."

It's $20 less than the original game. And they didn't TAKE away content.

I've heard it's something like 15-20 hours.

Also, you got an intelligent answer. Meta, even.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:06:35 AM

Swell read.  Half an article of insults is always a sure win.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:08:21 AM

I've heard that it adds about 20 hours. I've also heard the epilogue has none of the sim elements and is almost all dungeon. I'll play it anyway because I'm curious about what will happen and of course because I want Yukari in a bathing suit while she fights monsters.

That is all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:34:51 AM

Yeah, decent review considering it's more of a BiiF with insults.  I'd like to know more about the bonus content before dropping another 80 hours onto the game, though.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:00 AM

Yeah, decent review considering it's more of a BiiF with insults.  I'd like to know more about the bonus content before dropping another 80 hours onto the game, though.

• New costumes for each character (bikinis and maid outfits for the girls, some kind of shirt for the guys, a couple of other new costumes.)
  • Two or three extra "dates" (Elizabeth being one.)
  • NPCs move around some.
  • A few extra activites like walking the dog
  • More personas (20 or more new ones)
  • Different test questions
  • A new Hard mode

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:25:53 AM

I mean the Aigis post-game.  Is the story really worth playing oustide of being a completionist?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:51:23 AM

Quote from: Raving Douchebag
Atlus, take notes here

Yeah. If anyone at Atlus started reading this, they stopped when you told people to shoot themselves in the face.

This is also when my possible interest in picking up the original Persona 3, or even finding out what it is, evaporated.

This was a bad idea. Rant reviews are better when they contain some form of humor, as opposed to amoral, misanthropic rage.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:50 AM

I mean the Aigis post-game.  Is the story really worth playing oustide of being a completionist?

From what I've heard it drops the Sim elements but does continue the storyline so you know what happens to everyone after the end of the original game.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:23:42 AM

This is also when my possible interest in picking up the original Persona 3, or even finding out what it is, evaporated.

It's not like we already have a review of Persona 3 up or anything...

Great Game + More Stuff - $20 = Win, there's really not a whole lot else to say outside of that.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 10:20:42 AM

Wait, I'm a bit confused.  I've seen this game described as an expansion....  So do you need to own the original Persona 3 to play this, or is buying basically like getting a deluxe version of the original game?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 10:40:26 AM

Super deluxe version sans art book & soundtrack CD.

-Rasix
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 11:44:33 AM

Quote from: Raving Douchebag
Atlus, take notes here

Yeah. If anyone at Atlus started reading this, they stopped when you told people to shoot themselves in the face.

This was a bad idea. Rant reviews are better when they contain some form of humor, as opposed to amoral, misanthropic rage.

LOL at people who take things way to seriously! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And to Teleku, no you don't need the original. The game is split in two "The Journey" (original) and "The Answer" (FES),  but if you're just going to import your original save to the game you might want to reconsider.  The answer section is hard as hell, so level up,  and they've added a lot of new content to the original part.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:50:04 AM by Cory Jacobs »

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:59 AM

Super deluxe version sans art book & soundtrack CD.
Ah, cool.  Never played this, been meaning to try it out.  Might have to pick up this new version sometime then.  I more or less haven't touched console games for about 5 years now, and getting the itch to play some console RPG's again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 02:46:30 PM

Here's the tl;dr version:

You really should've played it the first time around. And if you didn't, you're part of the problem. But there's a new printing with MORE GOOD STUFF. So play it this time. Also, it's $29.99. Probably the best value in gaming right now, period.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 07:36:17 AM

You really should've played it the first time around. And if you didn't, you're part of the problem. But there's a new printing with MORE GOOD STUFF. So play it this time. Also, it's $29.99. Probably the best value in gaming right now, period.

This. Faced with two choices, this is what you should have published, if your aim is to actually convince people to pick up the game and try it.

If your aim is to put some puerile attempts at yuks on the frontpage, um, well, mission accomplished.

Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:51:05 AM

This. Faced with two choices, this is what you should have published, if your aim is to actually convince people to pick up the game and try it.

If your aim is to put some puerile attempts at yuks on the frontpage, um, well, mission accomplished.

Hutch, seriously buddy, you crack me up. I especially love the link on "puerile." VERY SUBTLE!

You've certainly got me convinced that you're above all forms of humor and DEFINITELY smarter than everyone else here!

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 12:02:11 PM

Don't be an idiot.

Or better yet, buy the game and write a review.  If your review is better than Cory's (we'll have the community as a whole vote), I'll pay for the game.  It's as easy as that.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:12 PM

What is weird is that I haven't played this game, but I have absolutely zero desire to ever even try after this review.

Cory Jacobs, saving my time since 1984

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:23 PM

What is weird is that I haven't played this game, but I have absolutely zero desire to ever even try after this review.

Cory Jacobs, saving my time since 1984

That's because you hate all things that come out of Japan unless it's a street brawl.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 01:58:36 PM

So if you miss playing Persona 3 simply because of nerd rage over nerd rage, it's your loss. Persona 3 is the best JRPG ever made for the PS2.

Plus, how can you hate BACON AWESOME!. That's a great name. BACON AWESOME!
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 05:08:40 PM

Plus, how can you hate BACON AWESOME!. That's a great name. BACON AWESOME!

*nod, nod*

lesion

Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 10:26:44 PM

I hate the crap outta JRPGs and I managed to play Persona 3 long enough to make a hollywood loaf when I virtually chatted with a purported virtual girl in a virtual MMO.  That shit was hot. And I hear FES lets you walk dogs? Fuck me with a spoon.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 12:28:42 PM

I KNOW! Exciting, right?  awesome, for real

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 12:51:57 PM

Game will let you carry over your Academics, Charm, and Courage scores along with any of the Social Link Max items from regular P3.  I think it'll allow you to do this for any game in progress. This may be a bit more lenient than regular P3's new game+, which I believe required a completed game. 

This is right there with Final Fantasy 6 and Shadow Hearts 2 for me as far as jRPGs go.  The game is just a masterpiece with just about every element (music, visuals, voice acting)  done perfectly.  You can almost feel the love put into making this game.  It can get a bit grindy though, which may be it's really only fault for me.

Block out about an hour to 90 minutes for the intro when you start playing.  First save chance doesn't really pop up until around 50 minutes in and you're still not out of the intro period at that time.  Less time, however, if you click through most of the dialog.  Heh, you notice a lot of cameos in the introduction if you pay attention.

-Rasix
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 11:30:08 AM

Don't be an idiot.

Am I an idiot because you liked the review? Or the game? I'm not attacking the game, if that matters.

Back atcha in either case.

Or better yet, buy the game and write a review.  If your review is better than Cory's (we'll have the community as a whole vote), I'll pay for the game.  It's as easy as that.

Schild already wrote a better review. Vote on that.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 01:18:03 PM

blah, blah, blah.

Wear looser underwear.  Srsly.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:34 AM

So my capsule review of Persona 3:Fes:The New Parts As Opposed To The Old Parts With New Part Injections:

* No persona compendium, which means that you don't get to gleefully engage in persona breeding experiments: fuse 'em and lose 'em. (Hint: don't fuse Orpheus like I did!)
* Dungeon crawl - no social links, very little gameplay outside of Tartarus v2.0
* No carryover from the main game at all. Your characters all start at around level 25 (actually level 20 but you get about 10k XP after the first preset battle). The characters even tell you "yeah, it's been a year and I got REALLY rusty." Sorry, Akihiko, you didn't just get really rusty, you LOST EIGHTY LEVELS. EIGHTY. I think the term you are looking for is 'senility'.
* Difficulty seems to be midway between Medium and Hard - it doesn't randomly spank you with Enemy Advantage for no reason like Hard does, but the encounters are stil pretty nasty.

So if you like dungeon crawlin', you'll enjoy this. If you don't, skip it and wait for the inevitable plot spoilers on Youtube or something.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 07:40:27 PM

too much unfunny angry fanboi for my tastes.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 06:24:04 AM

This is right there with Final Fantasy 6 and Shadow Hearts 2 for me as far as jRPGs go.  The game is just a masterpiece with just about every element (music, visuals, voice acting)  done perfectly.  You can almost feel the love put into making this game.  It can get a bit grindy though, which may be it's really only fault for me.

This, except I'd add that I've been playing RPGs, J and otherwise since Final Fantasy I on the NES. This is hands down, my favorite console RPG ever and narrowly misses out to the Baldur's Gate PC series as my favorite computer/console RPG of all time. I'm replaying it in FES and instead of being bored with the dialogue and stuff like I usually am on replays, I'm immersed in the characters again. I told my fiancee it felt like I was back among a group of friends again.

If I take nothing else away from my time on F13 it will be Schild mentioning this game and perking my interest in it. Between this and Suidoken I've found a console series I much prefer to Final Fantasy 27 or whatever the new Square game will be.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 12:12:52 AM

Dude stop being so hardcore about Persona 3.  It's so niche it's niches have niches.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 07:00:28 AM

Finally got back into the game. Decided to start completely anew.

And fuck if it's not one of the best games ever made, I don't know what is.

Edit:

This is gonna be a fun year! I can feel it!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:06:17 AM by schild »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 Fes  
Jump to: