Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008.  (Read 233396 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: April 18, 2008, 06:11:29 AM

Heads will Roll as Age of Conan moves into Open Beta
Posted: - 17.04.2008

Open Beta exclusively available through FilePlanet.com and partner IGN sites.

50.000 aspiring barbarians may enter Hyboria on May 1st 2008.

Funcom, Eidos and IGN are proud to announce that Open Beta for Age of Conan will start on May 1. The Open Beta will be hosted exclusively by IGN’s popular game download site, FilePlanet.com, as well as being offered through partner IGN sites such as Gamespy.com, Tentonhammer.com and Warcry.com. The application pages at FilePlanet.com are now open for registrations, and gamers from across the world can sign up. As 50.000 gamers prepare their Hyborian assault, rivers of blood are about to flow, and it’s exclusively available through FilePlanet and IGN partner sites.

Linky

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:17:04 AM

I think they're only open to register for notification of the beta sign-ups.  At least that's the way they worded it at Fileplanet.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ageofconan/

(Thank you for the den, Trippy.  You are sweet like cotton candy   Heart}

Edit:  Also this: 
A level 13 cap will be applied to persons participating in the Open Beta. The Beta experience will still give hours and hours of entertainment, and complete class and culture variety, while at the same time giving Funcom the needed focus for an Open Beta

Also:  The Metal Gear Online PS3 only beta sign up for FP members starts today sometime.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:35:12 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:05 AM

It'll take you longer to download the game than reach level 13. I don't know why they are capping it there, as the newbie area is good up to level 20.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:30 AM

I try to be full of hope and optimism so I fit in around here, but I just can't help but see that as CONTENT GOES STRAIGHT TO HELL AFTER L14.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:04 AM

It'll take you longer to download the game than reach level 13. I don't know why they are capping it there, as the newbie area is good up to level 20.

I'm still under NDA, but oh, do I wish to vent.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:46:53 AM

Definitely a wait and see.  If they are stable and beat WAR out the door it's a big coup for them.

"Me am play gods"
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:01 AM

Definitely a wait and see.  If they are stable and beat WAR out the door it's a big coup for them.

Don't count on it.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:59:54 AM

I agree that's retarded, and I haven't even played the game. Why level 13? Aren't the first 20 levels meant to be playable either solo offline or online with friends?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:52 AM

I agree that's retarded, and I haven't even played the game. Why level 13? Aren't the first 20 levels meant to be playable either solo offline or online with friends?

Argggg.....

NDA

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:07:14 AM

On the subject of content.

I wonder if people sometimes feel a new game "lacks content", because they are comparing it to a game thats has been out for X number of years. I think people have forgotten that most MMO's when launched are only the ground work, the foundation if you will that all other things are built on. Perhaps some mmo's have made us forget this, and forget that MMOs are constantly expanding lifeforms. I feel sometimes people i talk to want a game that has every single thing that the current one they are playing has, at launch... even if the game they have been playing has been out for years and had X number of updates.But at the same time bitch about delays. heh.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:07:29 AM

Argggg.....

NDA

It's common knowledge that the first 20 levels are solo/confined. NDA stuff aside, there is no reason for a hard limit at 13 instead of 20.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:19:56 AM

It's common knowledge that the first 20 levels are solo/confined. NDA stuff aside, there is no reason for a hard limit at 13 instead of 20.
That was leaked a while ago to have changed, IIRC. It's all online now, some of the content ('destiny' quests played at night) put you in instanced version of the area that could be considered "single player online".

Not breaking NDA here since haven't signed any. Obviously, due to it i also have no way to verify that rumour.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:50:52 AM

I wonder if people sometimes feel a new game "lacks content", because they are comparing it to a game thats has been out for X number of years. I think people have forgotten that most MMO's when launched are only the ground work, the foundation if you will that all other things are built on. Perhaps some mmo's have made us forget this, and forget that MMOs are constantly expanding lifeforms. I feel sometimes people i talk to want a game that has every single thing that the current one they are playing has, at launch... even if the game they have been playing has been out for years and had X number of updates.But at the same time bitch about delays. heh.

I think it's still fair to compare games at launch state. If it's true and content in AoC goes to shit 1/3 the way through the leveling process (or less) that doesn't compare favorably to WoW which had solid content to the level cap at launch.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:53:10 AM

I think it's still fair to compare games at launch state. If it's true and content in AoC goes to shit 1/3 the way through the leveling process (or less) that doesn't compare favorably to WoW which had solid content to the level cap at launch.

Don't disagree there. Its ths that i questions: "compare games at launch state"

I'm not sure this happens. Correct me if i am wrong, but Wow added things like battlegrounds later, correct?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 10:19:58 AM

The only valid comparison imho, for people not of the armchair veteran set, is games as they exist against games as they exist. AoC is up against 3+ years of WoW refinement which itself was up against 6+ years of EQ1 refinement. WoW won that handily, in closed beta. I don't know about AoC. Some would pull the "it's not for the DIKU fan" card. But if that's not the case, then they're saying the game is for people attracted to the genre because of it. Even WoW had to cannabalize the genre to hit the records to make it a popular media topic.

Anyhoo, it's worth a looksee. Not sure how much you'll garner through level 13, but it's something.

But ya, a lot of what makes WoW popular for the longtime players came later and then MUCH later. Battlegrounds, most raid zones, Arenas, Honor Points, dailies, etc, all well beyond launch.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:27 AM

As much as I want to see this game be cool, 20 days of open beta? lawl

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:14 AM

Definitely a wait and see.  If they are stable and beat WAR out the door it's a big coup for them.

Don't count on it.
But, my friend, have you considered the possibility of a secret client?

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 12:01:06 PM

Don't count on it.
But, my friend, have you considered the possibility of a secret client?

rolleyes AKA: miracle patch!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 12:03:13 PM

But WAR has one of those as well, apparently!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:56 PM

Negative ping code? Is it finally time?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 12:36:53 PM

Yes, We Can!

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:31 PM

HOPE!

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:48 PM

Digging!! (But only vertically)

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 01:30:23 PM

What's even the point?  Will that even give you enough knowledge of the game to be worth it?

I'm playing AoC cuz I got most of my guildies going to try it out.. although I've made it very evident to them I think the game is doomed. lol
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:57 PM

Dejanarchy vu.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 04:02:02 PM

If it really is a pvp focused game, maybe comparing it to Shadowbane is better than comparing it to WoW.  It's launch can't possible be as much a clusterfuck as SB, could it?

Guys?

Anyone?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 06:11:10 PM

If it really is a pvp focused game, maybe comparing it to Shadowbane is better than comparing it to WoW.  It's launch can't possible be as much a clusterfuck as SB, could it?

Guys?

Anyone?

This will be a Funcom game.  You know better!  The launch could chew off your leg.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 06:57:00 PM

So destroying my computer aside, Woolly Mammoth or Rhino?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 07:08:08 PM

So destroying my computer aside, Woolly Mammoth or Rhino?

I don't think its possible to get a rhino stateside.  At least, I haven't figured it out.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:18 PM

I don't think its possible to get a rhino stateside.  At least, I haven't figured it out.
Pre-order from Best Buy  (since their page doesn't actually mention it).

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34:17 PM

If this is anything like all the other collector's edition rewards that have gone around, these things won't be very useful.  I'd say go with what you think will look coolest and hope for the best.  Neither mount will allow for melee combat, so you are probably getting a horse anyway in game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:29 PM

YOU GET A DRINKING CAPE!  I mean, really, a drinking cape!!!

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 10:34:09 PM

If this is anything like all the other collector's edition rewards that have gone around, these things won't be very useful.

Not true, not true at all.  I recently resubbed to WoW and it's awesome how many lies and fabrications I throw at the rubes whenever they ask me how I got my zergling pet.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:32 PM

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 11:54:26 PM

Given what I've seen so far today, I probably won't be touching this game for months.  I was one of those crazy people that thought Funcom may have learned a lesson from their AO launch and will absolutely have a solid, stable game because they know it's launch suicide not to.  After crashing five times just adjusting video settings before leaving the newbie beach, I have revised my opinion.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008.  
Jump to: