Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:26:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: E3 this year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E3 this year?  (Read 20221 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: April 17, 2008, 12:43:34 PM

I'm having an odd time trying to find anything substantive on the E3 Business & Media Summit and E for All conventions. Anyone have links?
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:11 PM

This might be the dumbest post I've ever made, but wasn't the last E3 the final E3 evar?

Or did I just dream it?

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:47:18 PM

I'm having an odd time trying to find anything substantive on the E3 Business & Media Summit and E for All conventions. Anyone have links?

That's because there is no news.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 01:50:14 PM

This might be the dumbest post I've ever made, but wasn't the last E3 the final E3 evar?

Or did I just dream it?

They changed the format last year because it got too Vegas-y and had too many nonessential folks there (apparently). There was the E3 Business & Media Summit in July for invited businesses only and then the E for All Expo in October for everyone.

I had thought this was the new format going forward, but it's almost May and there's nothing out there at all. So either it completely flopped, or they're doing one event way later in the year.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:31:13 PM

Hmmmm...

Option 1: Have the old Vegas-style E3 and make money, but lose developer interest

Option 2: Have a substantial event with developer interest but lose money

Option 3: Have hybrid that loses money anyway.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:04 PM

Seems like they are doing E4 again. Was kind of low key last year.

http://www.eforallexpo.com/
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:04:08 AM

http://www.e3summit08.com

Entertainment Software Association Announces 2008 E3 Media & Business Summit

Washington, DC – December 18, 2007 – The 2008 E3 Media & Business Summit will take place from July 15 – 17, 2008, at the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC), the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today. The event will continue to focus on the business of the computer and video game industry, with an emphasis on press events and small meetings with media, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, the 2008 E3 Media & Business Summit will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

"The US is the world’s number one video game market and the E3 Media & Business Summit is its premier video game conference. The 2008 Summit will provide a professional and efficient environment for suite-based meetings with media, and other industry leaders,” said Michael D. Gallagher, CEO of the ESA, which represents US computer and video game publishers and organizes the E3 Media " Business Summit. "We look forward to welcoming the media and top industry executives to a centralized, business focused and personalized experience. Our program of high-level meetings, networking and personal dialogue, and industry-shaping panel discussions will capture the explosive growth we have seen in 2007 and lay the foundation for the 2008 video game marketplace."

The event will be open to ESA members and non-members alike. Companies involved in console, PC, online, and mobile game publishing and developing, as well as makers of video game hardware and peripherals will be eligible to participate. Attendance at all events, meetings, and demonstrations will be by invitation only.

The ESA is the U.S. association dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the companies publishing interactive games for video game consoles, handheld devices, personal computers, and the Internet. ESA members collectively account for more than 90 percent of the $7.4 billion in entertainment software sales in the U.S. in 2006, and billions more in export sales of entertainment software. For more information about the ESA, please visit www.theESA.com.[/qupte]

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 12:29:50 AM

So, it's going to be shitty again. Great.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:09:47 AM

Gah.  I saw the D.C. at the beginning and got all excited.

I miss traveling.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:49 AM

Serves E3 right that everyone's bailing on them for undertaking such a douchebag-ish decision.  How nice that you believe that you're now Serious Business and are better off without the screaming fanboys... oops, wait, those screaming fanboys are the people keeping you afloat with their money, who'd've guessed?

When I was little, I'd get taken along with my parents to conventions for cross-stitch design companies, which were surprisingly large affairs that filled decently-large convention halls.  In theory, these conventions were only for the business end of things, for companies to deal with other companies, and the various meetings and dinners were always of that nature.  But inevitably, consumer-level people would come to the conventions to meet and talk to the designers.  At no point was anyone stupid enough to kick out the consumers; they may have looked like just a bunch of little old grandmas, but it was their spending power that was putting food on our tables.  The various companies that were foolish enough to be impolite to them rapidly fell upon hard times as the negative word of mouth spread around.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:16 AM

I haven't read anything about E3 that makes me miss not having bothered to go. I think this /. article sums it up well. Between the quadrupling of the annual fee and the for-elites format of the last two E3s, there's some major tinkering that needs to happen if there's going to be an effective ESA, much less E3.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: E3 this year?  
Jump to: