Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL - Now with iron-fisted moderation!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWIIOL - Now with iron-fisted moderation!!!  (Read 3321 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:08 PM

I’ve been playing WWIIOL for a month now.   I’ll play a month or so, every year or so, just to see if the game has gotten any better than it was in the past.  I’ve been doing this shortly after the game launched.

It’s been two years since the last time I played and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the game.  Yes, the graphics mostly still suck. There have been some graphical improvements but mostly they are five years behind the times.

Gameplay is much more interesting with mobile spawns and a table of equipment that is much more filled out for both sides.  Also there are much more useful maps and the new brigade system.

Another reason I re-subscribe is the forums.   Being a military history buff they were as much fun as the game itself.   I remember them as being a lively exchange of ideas.  With discussions of various tanks and aircraft, and arguments about how they are modeled.  Also there were many discussions of gameplay and how the mechanics my favor one side or the other.

Sadly this is no longer the case.  I was surprised at how bland and vanilla the forums were when I re-subscribed.  Now I know why, fascists have taken over the moderation of the forum.

Any criticism of CRS is deleted wholesale.  Whole threads are blasted like they never existed in the first place. 

A truly embarrassing situation took place over weekend.   A player named hh1 posted about his brother (a player named Lolzza) dying in action on Saturday.  He was member of the Israel Defense Forces on a sweep for rockets hidden by Hamas militants.

He described how the IDF officers came to tell them he was separated from his unit and he was found dead with four dead Hamas terrorists around him.

Upon reading this it sounded fishy.  Israelis are very careful about letting their men get kidnapped.  Letting one of them wander off and get killed while killing four terrorists sounded like a scene from the Green Beret movie with John Wayne.

I checked the Jerusalem Post and CNN websites and there were no reports of any incursions or casualties.   I expressed my doubts on the very long condolence thread that was forming and the moderators deleted my posts without explanation.  They were happy with letting everyone in the thread respond with condolences and sadness.

Today another player with connections to the IDF posted a devastating rebuttal to the claims in the thread.  He detailed the last casualties to IDF members and how they didn’t match any of the details of the story.

How did CRS respond to being fooled at first, and then embarrassed?  They just deleted both threads like nothing had happened.  It’s like the secret CRS police took the threads off to a secret prison, never to be heard from again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I’d post it on the WWIIOL forums but it would just be deleted instantly.  And I want word of this to get out.

Ironically enough the big WWIIOL news lately is the People’s Republic of China has contacted CRS about creating a Chinese version of the game.  I guess they heard about CRS’ information controlling methods and felt they found kindred spirits they could deal with.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:39:01 PM

Aces High and leave your worries behind :P

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:03:03 PM

They did this same exact thing on the AO forums after the "big nerf patch" that happened about 4 months in or so. Any miscontent was met with mass deletions. Including them wiping their entire forums, about 80% of threads where negative. Lost all respect for their CSR after that.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:13:14 PM

Seems to be the trend with internet forums (or blogs) in general these days… …moderators are so quick on the delete trigger, and the results usually mean the death of the community sans the most loyal of boot polishers…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:05:19 AM

Bethesda software have their console fans to support the Forum.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:30:54 AM

I wondered what happened to that thread.

I'd posted in it asking for confirmation, and everyone who did got modded. I *think* it was just the one mod being an idiot ("oh noes, someone is doubting the story someone posted on the internets! The brutes!"). I'm glad to hear the story was false. Perhaps the original poster got banned. I can live in hope.  He should have suspended anyway- you post stories like that in the Off-topic forum , not Barracks!

Anyways, I think you're blowing up for little reason. It's not like anyone who doubted the story was banned or anything. Forum posts getting moderated are hardly a game ending blow.  The thread was all very embarrassing for everyone concerned (the original idiot who made up the story, everyone who posted condolences, and the over eager mod who took it seriously).   Personally I think the mods should have posted at the top of the thread with a statement saying "this story is false and the thread is now locked" rather than deleting it wholesale.

Can you name one game forum that WOULDN'T have deleted or locked it? I'd be interested to play such a game.

In other WW2OL news, there was 10 AO's up today apparently. I guess the live in game review by the German Game TV website has increased player numbers across the board.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:43:11 AM

I wondered what happened to that thread.

I'd posted in it asking for confirmation, and everyone who did got modded. I *think* it was just the one mod being an idiot ("oh noes, someone is doubting the story someone posted on the internets! The brutes!"). I'm glad to hear the story was false. Perhaps the original poster got banned. I can live in hope.  He should have suspended anyway- you post stories like that in the Off-topic forum , not Barracks!

Anyways, I think you're blowing up for little reason. It's not like anyone who doubted the story was banned or anything. Forum posts getting moderated are hardly a game ending blow.  The thread was all very embarrassing for everyone concerned (the original idiot who made up the story, everyone who posted condolences, and the over eager mod who took it seriously).   Personally I think the mods should have posted at the top of the thread with a statement saying "this story is false and the thread is now locked" rather than deleting it wholesale.

Can you name one game forum that WOULDN'T have deleted or locked it? I'd be interested to play such a game.

In other WW2OL news, there was 10 AO's up today apparently. I guess the live in game review by the German Game TV website has increased player numbers across the board.

Of course the thread should have been locked with an explanation, but that's not what they did.  They just deleted everything and left everyone (like you) wondering what happened.

Heavy handed moderation will not kill the game.  Hell, the way this game has survived it's obvious you couldn't kill by beating it with a very large stick.   But it has a chilling effect on speech in forums.  Yesterday I was responding to another post and got an error after hitting the button.  Why?  The post I was responding to was deleted while I typing my response.

So it makes me wonder, why bother posting when you need to figure out what will make it past the CRS thought police? 
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:29 AM

I have Graves disease, and was on a related forum... The background for the forum was white with harts all over it. I started a topic and asked "Why all the harts? It seems kind of girly... Men have this disease to..."

The moderator Banned my userid, IP address, and deleted the post. LOL

Oh yea... and get your Thyroid checked. Doctors don't do it unless you ask.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:40:51 AM

mods delete this unconstructive thread plz

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL - Now with iron-fisted moderation!!!  
Jump to: