Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:13:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making?  (Read 32607 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 06:40:23 AM

Granado Espada, mentioned above, allows you to control a team of 3.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 07:54:34 AM

OMG Aez that was too funny!   ROFL  Way too true, but way too funny!

Are there any MMOG's that let you command like a squad?  Not the RTSmmogs, but say a game where you can have a team of four characters you control (or more?), and level them up and have fun building a team.  I allways loved The Temple of Elemental Evil turn based system it had (even if it was a buggy, the way it played was more a thinking rpg), and a mmog where you have it more turn based with a squad would be pretty fun.

It's on the list for Tabula Rasa, but they had to make unicorn helmets first.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:35 AM

Very cool game, great game play, great art, grind kills it all.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 06:33:25 PM

The stillborn Gods and Heroes let you control a number of squad members as you went up in level. I think you could control up to 8 members at a time in the end game.

For a Warhammer 40k game, I could certainly see potential in player rank (i.e. level) giving the player a number of requisition points that they could then spend on squad configurations.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:30 PM

G&H was different though -- you only had limited control over them and limited customization (e.g. the equipment that you could put on them). The Mastermind's henchmen in CoV are basically the same thing. In Granado Espada your team are full blown characters.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:59 AM

Not a big necro, but here's some new information from Vigil Games. This is a brief CVG writeup of info provided by PC Gamer UK.

Summary:

• Yes, they're making one
  • It's an MMORPG not an MMOFPS (boo)
  • The plan an "in-depth combat system...orientated around cover, suppressive fire and flanking."
  • There's drifting space hulks. Not sure if that means planar space like Starcraft 2 or most of the unfortunate IP-based RTS space games.

The rest is fluff stuff not worth commenting until they actually have it playable.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:55:52 AM by WayAbvPar »
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 12:41:34 PM

On a related note, an interview by eurogamer with a THQ Exec. He comments on WoW's impact in the market and how he feels it has peeked and makes a reference to the "Warcraft ripping off Warhammer" debate, not I'm not suggesting the above is true just relaying.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130974
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 01:33:16 PM

• It's an MMORPG not an MMOFPS (boo)
Yep, it's going to suck big hairy donkey balls. Just getting that prediction in there first.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 02:28:05 PM

On a related note, an interview by eurogamer with a THQ Exec. He comments on WoW's impact in the market and how he feels it has peeked and makes a reference to the "Warcraft ripping off Warhammer" debate, not I'm not suggesting the above is true just relaying.

Everybody remember to quote this when WoW hits 12 million post-WotLK.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Also, he seems to think that WoW is it for Blizzard MMOGs - anyone care to fill him in about the (inevitable) Starcraft one under development?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 07:29:03 AM

If a starcraft mmo gets made it would be like printing money even if it sucked donkey balls for blizzard. I cannot imagine them leaving that mound of cash on the table and not trying to go get it.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:21 AM

Once the Starcraft MMO tops 20 million subs (in Korea alone!) and Blizzard has started printing their own currency, the players will need somewhere to spend it. One solution: Diablo MMO.

I can see it now. The first major quest hub will have an npc who says "London? I've heard of it. A group of travellers set out for London some years back. Never heard from them again."

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 08:08:18 AM

Darkfall (muahahahahahahahah *cough vaporware*) said it was going to allow you to control a squad for both battle and healing.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 02:09:36 PM

honestly, although I can't really see 40k proper turned into a MMO, Dark Heresy would make a pretty good setting for one.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #48 on: April 12, 2008, 08:19:13 PM

The guy is a badly-briefed idiot. Well, either that or is trying to put a crazy spin on things. Warcraft ripped off Warhammer Fantasy, not 40k. But then, Fantasy is EA's game..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:03 AM

The guy is a badly-briefed idiot. Well, either that or is trying to put a crazy spin on things. Warcraft ripped off Warhammer Fantasy, not 40k. But then, Fantasy is EA's game..

I haven't read everything so I might be misunderstanding you. Don't forget that Starcraft is a 40k ripoff.  I got the feeling he was talking about the ruleset though, not the setting.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 04:37:19 PM

Starcraft?
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 07:24:48 PM

Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 28, 2008, 06:25:16 AM

Getcher boltas, boyz, it's time ferra waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Orks don't use Bolters anymore - when did you last play dude! smiley
* 5150 had his uber Harlequin squad wiped out by Warboss command squad and their 50-odd attacks at the weekend :-(

/edit - the only way I think a MMORPG of 40k would work would be to set it up like the Necromunda game, otherwise you just head back into SWG territory where everyone will want/expect to be a) A Space Marine (or other hard combat class) b) the/a hero in a universe [unlike Starwars] where the [few] heroes don't actually get to make a huge difference
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:29:03 AM by 5150 »
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 28, 2008, 07:30:14 AM

/edit - the only way I think a MMORPG of 40k would work would be to set it up like the Necromunda game, otherwise you just head back into SWG territory where everyone will want/expect to be a) A Space Marine (or other hard combat class) b) the/a hero in a universe [unlike Starwars] where the [few] heroes don't actually get to make a huge difference

I'm holding out hope the game will be more like that as well.  Dark, gritty, mutants abound and territory to fight over gang warfare style would probably work pretty well as a concept.  Problem is I can't imagine there would be much market for a 40k game that didnt include space marines in some shape or other.
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 08:12:20 AM

I'm holding out hope the game will be more like that as well.  Dark, gritty, mutants abound and territory to fight over gang warfare style would probably work pretty well as a concept.  Problem is I can't imagine there would be much market for a 40k game that didnt include space marines in some shape or other.

Yep the SWG/Jedi problem all over again!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 10:55:45 AM

Sounds to me like they are shooting for Space Hulk or Rebelstar/Laser Squad in real time and with the dinggratz added.

Or in other words, Hellgate, only slower, more tactical, and hopefully not shit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 07:46:46 PM

When an mmorpg opens a class that is supposed to be a stronger class in the universe yet its faction does not dominance by its lesser number...it will ultimately prove to be too popular; rendering its the weakness of its faction somewhat irrelevant.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:59 PM

I haven't read everything so I might be misunderstanding you. Don't forget that Starcraft is a 40k ripoff.  I got the feeling he was talking about the ruleset though, not the setting.

Didn't look at this thread again till today. But here's the quote where he's clearly talking about both WoW and 40k. Ruleset wise, 40k was a rules-splinoff of WFB, and has evolved in a different direction. Very little in common with WoW.

Quote from: THQ executive Jack Sorenson
Sorenson commented: "However long it takes World of Warcraft to go through its cycle there will always be people on it, probably always be millions of people on it, but does it keep at that peak?

"Blizzard based a lot of their, let's say, RPG characteristics on 40k, which was the original," he continued. "There's a lot of commonality there that just comes right out of what Games Workshop has developed - the fiction, and the rest of it is incredibly deep. I think if we're true to that and do it at a high quality, then people will come. And they can certainly co-exist."

Starcraft?

See above.

I could go a well-done MMO-style Space Hulk/Necromunda. As long as its not shit. With devs like Vaginass onboard though, I'm not holding a huge amount of hope..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 12:36:26 AM

...vaginas?  swamp poop

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #59 on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:20 AM

Getcher boltas, boyz, it's time ferra waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Orks don't use Bolters anymore - when did you last play dude! smiley
* 5150 had his uber Harlequin squad wiped out by Warboss command squad and their 50-odd attacks at the weekend :-(

Last time I played was when the Harlequins were made of lead. =) Still got my badass squad of them splayed under one of my monitors.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 29, 2008, 04:37:44 AM

Last time I played was when the Harlequins were made of lead. =) Still got my badass squad of them splayed under one of my monitors.

I believe the new 'Quin models are still lead, I'm using the 'old skool' ones however.

They are still pretty impressive combat-wise (no Solitaire and only 1 Death Jester now though) as long as they get to charge but they are unfortunately very points heavy and quite squishy (especially when charged by a ~400 point Ork command unit <sob>)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:44 AM

I still think everyone spewing "Blizzard ripped off Warhammer!" should be strangled by Zombie Gygax, who would in turn be ripped apart by the ghost of Tolkien.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 29, 2008, 06:01:20 PM

Lets face it, this is a sad debate to have.

Still...

Gygax was inspired by Tolkien.  Games Workshop's devs were inspired by Gygax and Tolkien.  But there is a difference between the IP, a noticebale evolution.  Warhammer is a different world than Middle earth and there's no spacemarines in Tolkien's universe.

Warcraft and Starcraft however... it's almost a direct copy & paste from Warhammer.  It's like they started to do a Warhammer game but lost the IP when they were 80% done.  In fact, I vaguely remember ready a story like that. I can't remember if the story was bogus but it was definitely plausible.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:06 PM

there's no issue until the two gamers claim their universe is better or some shit. I definitely dig W40K more since it's full of outrageous shit like Angels with burning sword surrounded with laser toting all-girl choir squad worshippers.

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 29, 2008, 06:55:45 PM

Warcraft and Starcraft however... it's almost a direct copy & paste from Warhammer.  It's like they started to do a Warhammer game but lost the IP when they were 80% done.  In fact, I vaguely remember ready a story like that. I can't remember if the story was bogus but it was definitely plausible.

I heard that as well, concerning the development of the first Warcraft game. But let's face it, while Warhammer was clearly an inspiration for Warcraft, Blizzard has largely gone their own way since then. At the heart, Protoss are vastly different than Eldar, the noble-savage Warcraft Orcs are vastly different than the gleefully destructive Orks, and the hillbilly Terrans are nothing like the proto-Roman Imperium of Man. They're both richly realised universes at this point, though Warhammer 40k is quite a bit more fleshed out than Starcraft and Warcraft seems deeper than Warhammer Fantasy (though I admit I'm not by any means knowledgeable on Warhammer Fantasy).
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 29, 2008, 10:13:08 PM

i don't like warcraft plot at all. it reads like some amateur hour medieval plot rehash. 10x worse when you follow the Wc3 Campaign.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #66 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:19 PM

The sort of fanboy who really cares about such things is going to cry when it all ends up yet another "Nope, nobody else can even top prime EQ1 yet!" Blizzard speedbump.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:55 AM

The sort of fanboy who really cares about such things is going to cry when it all ends up yet another "Nope, nobody else can even top prime EQ1 yet!" Blizzard speedbump.

Just to be clear: Are you hopping on the WoW bandwagon after all this time WUA? Your anti-pathy seems to have gone.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: May 30, 2008, 03:22:20 AM

He played the game.

Not only that but he played and ENJOYED the game.   That's world-shattering in and of itself.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #69 on: May 30, 2008, 04:13:48 AM

I muck around in WoW a bit.  It's very slick and competent, in comparison to the tottering shitpile of spaghetti code which is UO on it's best day.  I mean if I'm going to play something else, it may as well be this.  But I think the reason I've finally become something of a mild WoW booster was best summed up by El Gallo in the SWG 'twitch' thread a couple years ago.

Quote from: El Gallo
I remember the great optimism on LtM about the industry's growth in the early EQ days.  MMOs were THE thing to make!  Once this next group of games hit, wow, this baby is gonna explode.  Then those games -- DAoC, AO, AC -- hit with a big ole whimper.  Maybe the genre had capped out.  Maybe people wouldn't line up around the block to throw millions at Whamdoodles after all.  But, never fear, the old guard is coming out with their second round of games.  Oops, AC2 is an utter piece of garbage.  But wait, we have the first generation winning company (SoE) teaming up with the first generation's runner-up developer (Koster) combined with solid financial backing and the most valuable license this side of Bible Online (Star Wars).  Surely, that would be the game that blow open the market....after all, we'd been waiting for ~4 years for that now.

Then SWG came out, and it was just an embarrassingly horrid pile of shit.  The HAM system is just one of many systems that a moderately intelligent 9 year old would laugh at.  It hit the marketplace with a whimper and never came close to EverQuest, which by now was finally beginning its death rattle with PoP to fuck over the casuals and GoD to fuck over the hardcore.

All of a sudden, all that optimism from 1999 is starting to look a bit laughable.  Then a MMO based on the most successful computer game ever (the Sims) crashes and burns.  And now let me engage in a bit of alternate history.  Next, the successor to the industry's brightest star -- EQ2 -- hits the shelves.  Another crushingly bland game that limps along with sub-EQ1 numbers, mostly cannibalizing them from its predecessor.  Turbine vomits out another failure in DDO.  Then we get Our Lord and Savior Aradune McQuaid's Vanguard, which reeks more and more of EQ2b every day.  Another fizzle.  It's now 2007.  The high point of Western MMOs commercially is still EverQuest -- its release day now more than 8 years in the rear view mirror.

Are you excited to invest in this industry?  Is this the wave of the future?  It sounds like a dead-end to me.  It wasn't only SWG, but SWG was a big part of this dreary picture.  MMOs were fucking done, man.  Flight simulator-done.  Betamax-done.  An inbred, backwards shithole in the world of computer gaming, much less video gaming.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Is this true? WH40K MMO in the making?  
Jump to: