Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:09:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Traveller's Tales - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Traveller's Tales - 360  (Read 11361 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 19, 2008, 10:56:50 AM

Here's an interesting little game. One you've probably heard of as well. Essentially a jumping platform, coloured coin (sorry, block) collecting game with simple combat mechanics divided between lightsabers and blasters, all presented in a cute Lego-styled package with a load of Star Wars imagery thrown on top of it. This is the kind of game that's more than the sum of its parts. I'm not normally a fan of jumping platform games, and definitely not a fan of collect 100 coin type gameplay. I usually find cute to be twee, and while I enjoy a bit of Star Wars-themed stuff, this licence can often spell lazy devs, aggressive publishers pushing games out before they're finished, or a HAM-fisted disaster of a MMO, but somehow, against all these odds, Lego Star Wars manages to get it right, and also be a game that's an awful lot of fun. This is actually the third game in the series (Trilogy?). The first was simply called Lego Star Wars and had the prequels in it, the second was Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, and this one is essentially a mash-up of the previous two, with all of the levels and characters from the others, plus a few extra levels, things to do, and a few extra characters as well.

The Story mode follows the plots of all 6 films through 6 stages each. Each of the films seems to also have at least one flying stage, which can be presented as a flying rail shooter, a racing game, or a free-roaming isometric-style shooter, The rest of the stages are a mix of platforming, simple puzzles and simple combat where the player can toggle between 2-5 characters, all with slightly different abilities. A second player can drop in and out at will, as well. This makes the game socially friendly for those of us who have wives, kids or even friends.

The other main mode of the game is Free Play mode, where you can choose a couple of characters, and the CPU selects another bunch, and you go through each mission able to toggle through your "squad" with the shoulder buttons (only 2 onscreen at a time) so you can use their various special abilities to make your way through all the secret and hidden areas (again, usually a videogame task I despise). Add to this a bunch of extra stuff you can do, and you really do have a winner of a game. A game that has now a semi-sequel of Lego Indiana Jones coming soon as a follow-up. Oh, you can also play as Indy in this.

So despite being made up of elements I usually dislike or find annoying, along with a licence that's far from a guarantee of quality, this game manages to pretty much get it right. I don't really like most of the vehicle sections, but perhaps those will get better later. The main game though, is damned fun.

-----

Buy It

-
Sent in by Azazel.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:00:57 PM

This one is a big favorite for me and my son (who's almost 7 btw). Also one of the few games my son likes to hop on and play without me. If you have kids that are gamers this is a great one to have at home. Also it's fun for the adults.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:02:08 AM

They're also working on Lego Batman.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:31 AM

They need to do Lego Rocky Horror.

"Me am play gods"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:52:39 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:10:53 PM

Lego Indiana Jones will be out soon, too.

They've also had licenced kits of Spider-Man.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 04:32:38 AM

I bought myself a little Lego Indy with Lego Sean Connery today. A Shplendid Win!

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:54 PM

Lego Batman Trailer.. Gameplay looks more-or-less identical. I guess they have a formula, now.

http://www.mywii.com.au/NewsDetail.aspx?id=1620

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:28:44 PM

I got the Wii version (is it same version, or just slightly | completely different?)… …have not played, though it does look like fun… …though I think Batman and/or Indiana Jones would be cooler…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:28:13 AM

The Wii version is the same game.  It's damned fun, and the kids are already bugging me about getting Batman & Indy.   Still, I can't imagine either game having anywhere near the # of available characters for free-play that Star Wars has.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:44:33 AM

Batman might, owing to how long the comic series has run.  They can always throw in other super heroes when they run out of villains, cops and psychiatrists.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 12:43:20 PM

Man, the possibilities of Lego games are endless...

Money hats!

edit: This thread prompted me to go have a look at the Lego toys. These things were never cheap, but yowza! The Millennium Falcon costs 500 clams.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:48:23 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:11 PM

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars has been announced as coming up later this year.  You know marketing works and is properly targeted when you are informed about an upcoming game from your five year old and you don't even believe him when he says "another Lego Star Wars is coming out" until you look it up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:28 AM

Despite my enjoyment of the above game, the Lego "Licenced Franchise" series has gotten a bit old. I didn't get far into Indy, and barely even looked at Batman. Did the Harry Potter one come out yet? Actually. Who cares?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 07:12:50 AM

I care.  It's fun.  Enough fun that I didn't care about the movie elements in the last Indiana Jones one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:21:56 PM

I completely finished both Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones and the thrill is gone from these type of games.

Lego Indiana Jones 2 has already come out and pretty much disappeared without trace. Its main focus was the Crystal Skull film.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Traveller's Tales - 360  
Jump to: