Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW.  (Read 65760 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: April 04, 2008, 05:54:53 PM

The way i understood it the change was made to stop the exploit where two people would tank the rating of a team to the low thousands then two others would raise it back up raising their personal rating far above the team rating since the team would be at 1100 and their personal rating at 1500 then having yet another couple who took the places of the tankers raise the team over whatever rating was needed, that way the cheaters could have both the personal and team rating needed.  It has jack shit to do with matching people according to gear or stopping point sellers.

I am the .00000001428%
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: April 05, 2008, 05:58:50 PM

If you're not packing 3 forms of hard CC go home is basically what Magister's Terrace says.
Just to give another datapoint -

I finally dragged a couple guildies through it on heroic.  Enhancement shaman, ele shaman, protection warrior, frost mage, and holy priest.  Everyone's in a mix of blues and purples.  We experimented with mind control on the early pulls, but we were less than pleased with the results, so we just stuck to sheep.  A few times we were able to use the fear to control the pull but most pulls, we didn't.  We had no issues with any pulls or bosses save the third one.  We had the arms warrior, warlock, dagger rogue, and hunter adds.  The dagger rogue was ignorable, but the rest were ridiculous, especially the arms warrior.  We finally gave up and had the enhancement shaman switch to his warlock.  The warlock trinket dropped, so everybody went home happy.  I'm bringing the holy paladin next time because I suspect he'll do much better on the 3rd boss.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #177 on: April 05, 2008, 09:56:50 PM

If you're not packing 3 forms of hard CC go home is basically what Magister's Terrace says.
Just to give another datapoint -

I finally dragged a couple guildies through it on heroic.  Enhancement shaman, ele shaman, protection warrior, frost mage, and holy priest.  Everyone's in a mix of blues and purples.  We experimented with mind control on the early pulls, but we were less than pleased with the results, so we just stuck to sheep.  A few times we were able to use the fear to control the pull but most pulls, we didn't.  We had no issues with any pulls or bosses save the third one.  We had the arms warrior, warlock, dagger rogue, and hunter adds.  The dagger rogue was ignorable, but the rest were ridiculous, especially the arms warrior.  We finally gave up and had the enhancement shaman switch to his warlock.  The warlock trinket dropped, so everybody went home happy.  I'm bringing the holy paladin next time because I suspect he'll do much better on the 3rd boss.
I had a good group today with a Prot War, Frost Mage (me), Warlock, Rogue, Holy Priest (and on Kael a Tree druid since the priest had to leave).

Sheep/Sap/Enslave on most pulls. The rogue was really slick though and blinded the extra mob on pulls lacking a demon.

Got the Warlord, Hunter+Pet, Shammy, and Rogue on 3rd boss. I chain-sheeped the warrior, the hunter was banished, the rogue fearlocked, and the shammy was sapped.

Their AI is weird and they'll body aggro on anyone close during the pull. Have everyone stand back from the group (ignoring the rogue who can just stay stealthed) and have the tank long pull them. Hit em with the castable CC when they get to you. Smoke the priestess (interrupt her heals and slam/purge/dispell/spellsteal her shields/renews, took us forever to kill her since she kept healing herself), maul the hunter pet, killed the rogue (with judicious kiting since he bounces all over), killed the shamy easy, killed the hunter, killed the warrior (who is still scary even alone).

Kael you basically have 3 DPS bars you can meet.

1. Push Kael to 50% Before he bubbles and casts the pyroblast.
2. Break the bubble and interrupt it before he casts.
3. Push him to 50% shortly after he blows the tank up.

Other than that it's the same fight.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: April 06, 2008, 03:49:14 AM

I wouldn't say you need crazy amounts of cc (look up the video of some dude 5-boxing heroic MGT with 5 elemental shamans, bosses and all), but you do need ways of dealing with multiple casters. Shamans excel in that with resist totems / grounding totems / earthshock, warrior tanks can spell reflect, and rogues / enhancement shaman can feasibly 'offtank' a caster too.

Yesterday I ran hMGT with a decked out group (rogue/warlock/spriest in tier5, tank in tier6 with illidan shield, and me as the gimpy kara-geared resto shaman) and they just applied brute force to everything in the instance; first boss died while he was channeling the first crystal (didn't even damage the crystal), second boss just ate it in 30 seconds (along with most of the group due to spark damage piling up in the last few seconds) barely used CC on the multi humanoid pulls (leading to me offtanking mobs occasionally as the healer... though it didn't matter, stuff died way too fast). It was interesting to see how differently they did things from my usual guild runs (killing crystals, slow burn on the 2nd boss waiting for debuffs to fade, heavy CC on every pull). And even with all this uber gear, we STILL wiped on the third boss; no matter what gear you have, a clothie being trained by the warrior + rogue dies in less than two seconds. Ended up clearing the entire room around the boss so we could get some control with AOE fears.

I kind of like the third boss actually, it reminds me of that tier0.5 BRD event on crack, or fighting a really bad arena team with way better gear than you (:p). My only issue is that you pretty much need to pull two extra groups if you want to use fear as a cc (which you should). Heck, you can even try the outlast game and drain the healers' mana (the priestess is especially bad about spamming renew if someone keeps dispelling it, she'll run out of mana in no time), if you can keep the melee mobs CC'd.

Amusing anecdote: I soloed heroic Kael from 48% two days ago in a guild run; we didn't have enough dps to bust through the shield (not to mention I was the only interrupter as the healer), so the tank died to pyroblast and the last two dps got gibbed by the orbs as we desperately unloaded everything to kill the second phoenix + egg (which JUST spawned after the tank died) at the start of phase 2. After that it was a lot of flying around, lesser/normal healing wave, gift of the naaru, searing totem abuse, and the rest of the group complaining about not being able to zone in to the instance, while my extreme resto shaman dps eventually got Kael down to 0%. Good times. Nerf resto shamans!

-- Z.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #179 on: April 06, 2008, 09:45:40 AM

If you try to do the 3rd boss like a normal PvE encounter you will get raped and raped hard regardless of gear pretty much. Kael is a laugh provided you can push him past 50%.

Vexallus needs nerfed in a bad way IMO since the healing and/or DPS requirements are a bit much. You shouldn't have to bring arcane resist gear if you're not rocking T4ish+ DPS. The crafted arcane resist set for warriors though I hear is really handy for that fight since it lets the heal focus hard on keeping the DPS up.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 06, 2008, 12:25:23 PM

Actually, there are 2 camps of though on how to kill vexallus.  Current info seems to indicate that he spawns the Pure Energy adds at fixed points in his health (80, 70, 55, 40 or something along those lines).

The idea being that you can do it two ways:

- do it "slow and steady".  Kill him to 80, kill the adds then let the debuff tick off (or have a mage icelance both adds and iceblock the debuff, etc), let dps top themselves up to full before bringing him down to 70 for the next wave, and repeat untill you hit 20 and everyone just burn the crap out of him. Probably the best strategy if you have a good single target healer but not a lot of Multi Target heals.

- do it "fast and hard".  Just kill the boss and adds, try to stack the add debuff on people who can make the most out of the added Damage, have your healers heal like crazy, and just melt him when he hits 20% (he should go down FAST with the amount of extra damage output from the add debuffs).

Personally, the thing i hate most about the place is tanking kael on heroic as a Druid, since 9 times out of 10, i am guaranteed to die when he pops shield and pyroblasts me (i have no useful spell interrupt, and no "oh shit" button combination i can use to survive the 50k pyro if we miss the very small interrupt window once the shield comes down)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW.  
Jump to: