Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW.  (Read 65883 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: March 18, 2008, 07:53:08 PM

Ranked #3 in the US according to WoW-Jutsu, Risen has quit playing WoW.  I'll c&P their frontpage here, in the event it goes kablooey.

Risen - a Alliance guild on the Alleria Server
Posted on 03.11.08 by Failure

To start off, I am making this post to hopefully clear up a number of misconceptions spreading around. That being said, I am fully aware that the same people who are so hopelessly lost now will stay lost, due to their inability to understand simple English.

1. Those of us that quit, did so because we were no longer having fun with the game.
2. Games are meant to be fun, in their entirety.
3. When a person who primarily raids in the game is no longer having fun, it is very likely related to raiding. In no way does this mean this is the only part of the game. It means this was the part of the game the individual speaking was interested in.
4. Nowhere, anywhere, was it said "casual" was a bad thing. Nowhere was the line between casual and hardcore drawn. Nowhere was it said that I cared one fucking bit about the WoW community, what they thought, or that I even cared if they read my post. Now, I do care. My post was aimed at people that cared why we quit. If you don't care about why we quit, then fucking stop reading our fucking website. No Risen member posted this -anywhere- except in response to others who either a) cared or b) pretended they cared.

Ok, now that those points are out of the way, I will continue. Elaborating on (1): If you are doing something for fun, and it is no longer fun, you should quit. If you are doing something to make money, and you are no longer making money, you should quit. If you are doing something to break your toe, and you are unable to break your toe, you should quit. Make sense? We were playing for fun. It was no longer fun. We quit.

Moving on to (2): We all agree we play this game for fun, right? If you don't, well, stop there and reevaluate what you are doing in the game. And before someone starts to try to say that Risen raided 40 hrs a week and it was a job, I'll clear that up for you too. We've been raiding something like 6-8 hours a week. Since TBC came out, we raided 7 days in 1 week roughly 2-3 total times (In 60-70+ weeks). We do not raid anywhere near what would be required of a full-time job. Furthermore, there are actually people out there that enjoy their jobs very much. So even if you want to compare the time investment to a part-time job, so what. If it's fun, power to you. If it's not, find a new hobby. It was fun to us, back in the day.

In any decision, there is some amount of weighing to be done to come up with the decision. To people saying we are behind the times, no, we aren't. We weigh the positives vs the negatives, and make a decision on what we feel is in our best interest. In this case, having fun was the main interest. Up to this point, we were still having fun, and perhaps ignored the future a little bit, because again, this is entertainment. At some point, those scales got tipped, and the "not fun" won out. At that point, it was an amalgam of reasons as to why it was no longer worth playing. Some of these reasons may be old; some of them may be new. It takes a lot more than 1 piece of straw to offset a balance that has a brick on the other end. It is pointless to pick out 1 piece of straw from the stack and ignore the rest. If nothing else, understand this fact.

I bring up (3) because yes, when I made my post, it was from a raider's perspective. It was why Risen, a raiding guild, was no longer raiding. Nowhere was it stated that these were the only problems with WoW. Nowhere was it stated that these were problems everyone had with WoW. It was merely stated that these were some of the things that contributed to the end of a PvE raiding guild.

Do you want the truth? Blizzard is giving nobody that pays for a subscription to WoW what they deserve. With the amount of money they are making, they should be putting out at least 4 5-mans and 1 10-man per month and 1 25-man every-other month. Not to mention they should probably be adding 1 new battleground each month, and 1 special tournament every other month. I even PvPed too, ended S1 on a Gladiator 5s and 2s team. Was in a top3 5s team for the first 1/3rd of S2. I got annoyed with PvP for the same reasons I stated in my initial post with raiding. Seasons dragged on too long, it meant nothing to be at the top, and farming honor for gear was far worse than the 8th month of Black Temple (and just as meaningless). I also have a character on a different server I played casually. I got the best badge gear I could back in the day, I got some Kara gear. I never got a 25-man raid item ever. To be honest, I'm more irritated with this badge loot bullshit on that character than I am on my main. No, I really really don't want to do more Kara, more of the same heroics, or anything else that gives badges. That is OLD CONTENT, regardless of the rewards.

Do people that enjoy 5-mans and heroics not enjoy seeing different encounters in different instances? Do they not enjoy seeing new things and seeing things slightly more challenging than what they did before? If nothing else, can people that are not raiders understand this basic desire? Don't apply it to raids and say they shouldn't be designing content just for raiders. Do you not like to be challenged, and to overcome that challenge? Do you not just get a nice feeling inside yourself for succeeding at something that you believed was a challenge? Some of the most fun times in this and many other games is when something goes terribly wrong, and yet you still manage to recover and pull it through. The challenge there is what made it fun. As was said earlier, -everyone- should be getting content. Yes, there are enough raiders who have seen Illidan to make it worth Blizzard's time to continue to create content for them. No, nowhere was it said that 5mans, 10mans, and even solo content should be excluded. It is all being put out in this game slower than it is in AC1, and AC1 has been out for what, 9-10 years, and has less than 1% of the player-base of WoW.

Finally on this topic, as I said, my post had to deal with raiding, and only raiding. I neglected other aspects of WoW in the first post because well, they had little to do with the guild as a whole ceasing to raid. I am sorry if you think something I said was not a problem from your perspective. Sadly, your perspective didn't matter to Risen, nor does it matter to other raiding guilds. And no, that doesn't say your opinion doesn't matter. I'm merely saying your opinion has nothing to do with whether or not Risen continues to raid. Your opinion also has nothing to do with whether any other guild continues to raid. Also, our guild had stopped raiding 2 full weeks before that post was made. The post was -not- made to get attention from Blizzard. The post was not made to try to get anything changed. Many of our members had canceled their account, found a new guild, and/or transferred just to play casually with friends when that post was made. So please, don't think there was any intent there to screw up the game for you.

This brings us to (4). I incorrectly assumed people would be intelligent enough to realize that I didn't type "I hate all casuals and everyone who can't kill Illidan." My bad guys. Well, I hate you if that's what you got out of my post. Casual is great, it's a fucking game. Playing more and trying to do well is also great, IF that is fun for you. It was fun for me, and I would go ahead and say it was fun for most all of the other members in Risen. I will even go out on a limb and say the people in DnT and Nihilum that still do that find it fun too. I'm sorry that it offends you so that we find other things fun that you don't find fun. For the record, I also don't find baseball or football fun, if you'd like to flame me for that, go for it. Soccer and basketball I enjoy, however. Oh wait, was that opinions I posted? Gee, my bad, forgot I'm not allowed to have those. Everything in life is obviously clear-cut black and white.

So in conclusion, the game wasn't fun. I'm not even going to try to type up a list of all the things I found not fun. I put a small handful of them in the last post, and people decided they thought we didn't have the right to quit (the only point of the post was that we were quitting raiding) because they disagreed with 1 or 2 of the points. They disagreed that something small was able to detract from the amount of fun we were having with a game. If you truly care about my reasons, feel free to talk to me, but they are opinions; and they only point to why it's not worth it for me to be in an end-game guild and raid in the current incarnation of WoW.

World of Casualcraft
Posted on 03.07.08 by Failure

Ok, so it's a shitty title, sue me. The idea is there, and everyone knows it's true. Blizzard no longer cares about the hardcore gamers, be that the raiders or the pvpers. Well, we're done with it. It wasn't just one thing really. While we were all excited to get some tier6 for our freshly 70 alts from this new badge gear, there's a part of you that just has to feel some pain when you look back at all the time you spent farming instances...for nothing.

About 2 weeks ago it became official. No, Risen is not a dead guild. We are a group of gamers that likes being the best we can be. Well, WoW isn't about that anymore, so we are taking WoW for what it is - casual. Some of us may be around running their casual content as they release it, others of us are taking an even more casual approach and deactivating until Wrath. It's kinda funny really. Shortly after making this decision, it was announced that Karazhan would now drop TEN epic gems per clear. Wow, that's more than we get in Hyjal half the time (not to mention that can be 10 spinels, not 9 emeralds and a lionseye!). I was just about to get pissed off when I read that, then I remembered it didn't affect me anymore and a wave of calm relief passed over me.

Not having been back in Black Temple for 2 weeks was kind of nice as well. As much as I loved still trying to complete our first warglaive set (along with Nihilum, DnT, and Vodka I believe?), it's nice not having to worry about it anymore. No longer have to worry that the 200th US guild to kill Illidan has 4x the warglaives that we have (3rd US?). And looking to the future, damn am I glad we won't have to farm Sunwell like we did Naxx. Not that we have anything to show for Naxx or BT. I'm sure Sunwell will be different, right?

But ya know, forget all that. What happened to the competition? What happened to the encounters that took time to learn? In BT PTR I said this, and people told me it would be different on live. It sure didn't seem that way to me. Nihilum praised the Souls encounter and Illidan both. Neither of those seemed even remotely challenging. Well, Sunwell PTR seems even worse. Granted, we quit before some of the later encounters...but if that instance is what we've been farming BT for 8 months waiting for then well, this post speaks for itself.

Well Blizzard, it was a fun 3 years. You want a casual game, we're playing your game casually. See you again in the expac. We'll give it another try most likely, see if anything has changed. In the meanwhile, if anyone has any suggestions for us, feel free to let us know (or if any devs from other games want a top guild to help with beta-testing! ^.^)! In the meanwhile, can look us up in other games (TF2, DotA, FFXI, and more).

TLDR version: Whahh, it's too easy.

Even as a raider, I laugh.  I've said time and again that I play for FUN, and don't care about other folks purples. I like killing bosses, period.  I'll admit I'm the minority and this kind of bullshit whining just reminds me of that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:58:18 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:04:11 PM

Huh, I translated the tl;dr version as this:

We're doing it wrong. And that's not our fault.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:11:23 PM

Yah, that too.  "We blew through content that everyone_not_us is just hitting and now we're bored!"

However, there's a forum thread on their site that goes along with it.  Failure (so apt a name.) goes on to talk about how MMOs are about standing out and not letting everyone be on equal footing so people can stand out, and it's not fair that since new (RAID) content has taken so long to come out they don't stand out anymore.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:04 PM

I used to raid semi-hardcore a few years back and I still didn't see everything the game had to offer.  I still don't get how some people expect fresh content on the order of 3-4 instances or zones a month.  I don't really want to do Ragefire Chasm re-skinned 3-4 different times, each a little more difficult than the last.

The part that makes me laugh is them expecting Blizzard to have changed.  Blizzard is still the same company from 1996 that put Diablo 1 out.  They release content on their own schedules and when they feel it is ready, not to satisfy the most hardcore who blow through the content in a month and then want more to do.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:44:21 PM

Our crew is on RoS in BT and I'm having a helluvha lot of fun with the game right now. We'll be finishing up BT in the next few weeks, just in time for the Sunwell to kick off.

But give me a fucking break. When you raid 7 nights a week of course you're going to burn through content faster than they create it. You did power raiding to shine your epeen. Once that glow wore off, you found out that you burned right past any and all fun you could have been having with the game in the process.

Bravo douchebags, bravo.

EDIT: I'll expand on this a bit

If you don't find raiding inherently fun, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Granted, raiding sure as hell isn't for everyone. But for me personally, I love the challenge of taking down "big shit" with guys I've been gaming with for years. The cheers on vent when you finally knock over a guy you've been working on for a few nights makes it well worth it.

Enjoy raiding for what it is, challenging encounters designed for large groups of people. If you base your raiding on anything other than that you are, as Schild said earlier, doing it really fucking wrong.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:00:18 PM by Falwell »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:19:43 PM

About 2 weeks ago it became official. No, Risen is not a dead guild.

So, what is it that became official?  Is this just, like, some notification of policy change or something?  They say a lot of them are still playing, and that they'll all resub in nine months when the expansion comes out, so what is this announcement for?

ATTENTION:  WE WILL NOW BE DOING CASUAL CONTENT!  ALL YOU NUBS RUNNING 5-MANS, PREPARE TO HAVE THE SHIT CASUALED OUT OF YOU!  RAAAAR!  But first, a whine from our sponsor...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:58:40 PM

I just think it's adorable they think anyone besides them really, truly cares if they're playing or not.   Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:10:27 PM

Can I have their stuff?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:17 PM

U KEN HAF DEIR ARKANE DUST  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:52:59 PM

Heh....this cracked my guild up when it was posted last week.

One of our Pallies (guild I am in raided 5 nights a week back in the times o progression) ninja apped to Risen and got accepted so transfered off to Alleria in the dead of night because he "wanted to raid everyday" about 3 weeks before our guild's first Illidan kill back in November.

Funny thing is, Risen had been clearing BT and Hyjal for long enough even then that alts were getting in for Hyjal and Black Temple and even if they did SSC/TK/Gruul/Mag every week, they were not going to be raiding more nights than we were. Unless you are only raiding for 2 hours a night, you can't possibly milk all the BC raid content over 7 days.

The first thing our guild leader (a pally) says when he hears this about Risen is: "Oh poor Al, I guess he won't be raiding more nights a week than we do now."

And getting all worked up about everyone who goes to Kara getting enough badges for an epic gem is pretty dumb. Our raid leader is ecstatic that he is going to have a use for his 350 badges he has had for 6 months and will be able to finally catch up on the number of Crimson Spinels the guild owes members for tier6 gear.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 11:36:40 PM

Do you want the truth? Blizzard is giving nobody that pays for a subscription to WoW what they deserve. With the amount of money they are making, they should be...

I thought that part was pretty apt though. They are making ludicrous amounts of money, and can't seem to be bothered to really put it back into the game in any meaningful, consistent way.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:20:37 AM

What sort of meaningful things you want? You have ding grats. Then shinies from killing huge HP mobs or killing other players. Unless you're talking about player towns...that's different.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:01:15 AM

Not to rain on the lolraiderz parade you guys are having, but i thought he did have one good point. Blizzard needs(needed?) to create a great deal more 5 and 10-man content. I know for a fact i'd still be playing if there were more 5-mans to level-up with.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 03:19:19 AM

Heh....this cracked my guild up when it was posted last week.

One of our Pallies (guild I am in raided 5 nights a week back in the times o progression) ninja apped to Risen and got accepted so transfered off to Alleria in the dead of night because he "wanted to raid everyday" about 3 weeks before our guild's first Illidan kill back in November.

Funny thing is, Risen had been clearing BT and Hyjal for long enough even then that alts were getting in for Hyjal and Black Temple and even if they did SSC/TK/Gruul/Mag every week, they were not going to be raiding more nights than we were. Unless you are only raiding for 2 hours a night, you can't possibly milk all the BC raid content over 7 days.

The first thing our guild leader (a pally) says when he hears this about Risen is: "Oh poor Al, I guess he won't be raiding more nights a week than we do now."

And getting all worked up about everyone who goes to Kara getting enough badges for an epic gem is pretty dumb. Our raid leader is ecstatic that he is going to have a use for his 350 badges he has had for 6 months and will be able to finally catch up on the number of Crimson Spinels the guild owes members for tier6 gear.
What's up with everyone wanting Crimson Spinels instead of anything else again?

Also, BAWWWWWWWWWWWW on Risen's part. Go play Vanguard.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 03:24:07 AM

Not to rain on the lolraiderz parade you guys are having, but i thought he did have one good point. Blizzard needs(needed?) to create a great deal more 5 and 10-man content. I know for a fact i'd still be playing if there were more 5-mans to level-up with.

You're right, they do, absolutely.  However, the whine wasn't that they aren't putting in enough small group but enough raids. I just can't look at the numbers and see how the hell hardcore raid-types justify that arrogance.  It's ludicrous.

Should Blizz be putting-in more small-raid and small-group stuff? Yes.  Is the excuse "well our content teams are working on the x-pac" really valid?  No, not with the rake they're pulling down.  All I can imagine is there's some kind of struggle to 'stay a small company' despite everything around the game pointing in a different direction.

On a related note, it was predicted by someone (or maybe a few someones) when woW first started-up that  Blizzard's content pace would doom them.  It looks like the cracks on that might finally be showing.. 4 years later.  swamp poop  I guess the catalyst would be 2 new MMOs coming out relatively soon that actually have captured the player's imaginations, unlike Vanguard and TR.  Odd, that.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:55 AM

Do you want the truth? Blizzard is giving nobody that pays for a subscription to WoW what they deserve. With the amount of money they are making, they should be...

I thought that part was pretty apt though. They are making ludicrous amounts of money, and can't seem to be bothered to really put it back into the game in any meaningful, consistent way.

Yes, that stood out to me as well.  To me, it looks like this Cash Cow is on cruise control.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:17 AM

I thought it was a great post.

tl;dr for me was "With regards to fun, to each their own, and if you're not having fun, fucking stop."

Which pretty much sums it up doesn't it?
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 05:26:46 AM

Hrm, I must have been sleeping hard because I didn't feel a thing.  I doubt Blizzard did either.

I certainly would like more content to come out quicker, but I'm not going to assume that mo'money is the answer to pumping out the instances.  Mo'money just means you can hire more people.  More people doesn't exactly mean more content.

Depending on how they originally designed the architecture of the game, changes may be just a tad bit harder than shoving new items, monsters, instances, skills, talents, etc into it by multiple different design teams.  You guys want more content, but you'd be the first to bitch if anything was broken or nerfed due to any content additions too.

Hell, we have pages and pages of complaining that all the old content is useless now.  I imagine it is much like trying to impregnate a women by 9 men to make a baby each month.  The system isn't built to produce that way.

I suppose if Blizzard had foreseen that they had a 10 million sub game on their hands.  It would have been structured differently so that scaling up production of content was feasible.

My bet is that the revenue they are raking in now is being used on standard content expansions/patches and whatever is left over is spilled over into the "Next Best Thing."  Hell, I'd be working on more than one.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 05:35:51 AM

4 years of at least 1 million subs is already a huge success. No pressure on them. If Blizzard is smart, they'd take half of the team off to develop a new title that can operate on a low to medium spec and repeat the cycle again while using the remaining half to trickle more free content and $40 exp packs.

The issue here is probably to make 5-mans more accessible to all classes but they still refused to take down the tank-healer-dps philosophy that limits their design. Let's just imagine for a moment if we just run into instance where we're fighting around 10 mobs per pull that each of the class in 5 man party can take on two at a time? Is there anything wrong with that? I feel it's more fun than, 'HEY HEAL ME!' 'HEY MORE DMG PLZ' 'BUFF ME PLZ' and then groaning when the healer/tank had to log off midway. Fuck, let us go dps crazy for once and not worry team make up ala COH. 5 warlocks? Sure. 5 Shammy? Why the hell not. 5 Hunters? Sure. Hardcore raiders would complain 'oh noes it's too easy' 'don't give epics to the casuals so cheaply'. Sigh. they can still have their 40 mans or 20 mans, but at least the casuals have SOMETHING to do while getting their gear up to actually take on 20mans instead of getting their eyes bleed on 5 mans till their gears and guilds are good enough.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 05:58:59 AM

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:08:32 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 06:08:17 AM

Having unlimited amounts of money doesn't really help them make more content, there are only so many people they can manage and still put out a high quality experience.  And besides, Blizzard probably is making a new zone and a new instance every month, for their next MMO.

What's funny is most of the people in that guild won't really quit, they are too addicted and have nothing else to do.  They will probably just play in other guilds with alts or PvP.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 06:29:28 AM

Having unlimited amounts of money doesn't really help them make more content, there are only so many people they can manage and still put out a high quality experience.  And besides, Blizzard probably is making a new zone and a new instance every month, for their next MMO.

I don't agree. For example, You can set up two separate teams that are dedicated to adding 5 mans.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 06:39:19 AM

Oh mathematically it's possible sure, but in the real world that means you have to find fifty new artists/designers/programmers/testers/managers who are just as good as the ones you already have, that's the problem.  You can't double your team and expect to put out the same excellent product, it's a quality versus quantity problem.  I'm sure blizzard is hiring as many people as it can but it won't let down its standards to fill those positions.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 07:01:15 AM

What's up with everyone wanting Crimson Spinels instead of anything else again?

The red gems are always the most soughtafter for DPS and healing classes because they are the raw "money stat" gems: 10 agility, 10 strength, 12 spelldmg, 22 healing. Certain colors (like green) are poorly thought out and are very rarely used, but are just as common a drop as spinels, if not more.

It is literally a joyous occasion when they mine a gem node in hyjal and you get more spinels out of it than anything else.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 07:10:16 AM

Yes, that stood out to me as well.  To me, it looks like this Cash Cow is on cruise control.

Fuck! If it were my game, I'd be on cruise control too!

Think About It:

Addicts.

Money already taken.

No guarantee for new content.

I'd be sitting in a chair with a very tall back, pointing, and laughing.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:14 AM

Oh mathematically it's possible sure, but in the real world that means you have to find fifty new artists/designers/programmers/testers/managers who are just as good as the ones you already have, that's the problem.  You can't double your team and expect to put out the same excellent product, it's a quality versus quantity problem.  I'm sure blizzard is hiring as many people as it can but it won't let down its standards to fill those positions.
They've also lost a lot of people leaving to join/form other companies and of course they are working on an expansion.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:07 AM

They've also lost a lot of people leaving to join/form other companies and of course they are working on an expansion.

They are also working on other products.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:46 AM

I'd love to have more quanitity and more diverse 5-mans/10-mans.  That makes sense.  Give us variety.

Having more BG's can be an issue though.  Right now, the queue times are very nice.  I can PvP my heart out all night solid.  If you start dividing the same playerbase that is running 4 BG's now into 10?  Not so hot.

One or two more probably wouldn't be a big deal, but there will be a breakpoint that starts to affect queue times substantially.  Plus, they'll then have that many more BG's for people to bitch about how "unfair" they are for their side as opposed to the other.  Will having 2-3 more AV's make your gaming experience better?

Maybe they'll come out with some BG that has a really neat twist to it for some additional fun, but my limited mind can't come up with it right now.  If all they add is another AB or EoTS with different looks and more or less flags, my PvP experience won't be improved.  Maybe this promise of long ranged comabt and destructible buildings will be the bee's knees?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 08:13:19 AM

You're right about BGs, adding more isn't a great solution as it you have to spread the population out more. However I really wouldn't miss WSG, AB or AV if they made new CTF, CP and Assault style maps for higher levels.

They could also do the decent thing and give us a BG where the sole goal is to be the first side to XXX kills, which frankly would be more enjoyable than any of the existing BGs as far as I'm concerned.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 08:25:04 AM

I'd love to have more quanitity and more diverse 5-mans/10-mans.  That makes sense.  Give us variety.

Having more BG's can be an issue though.  Right now, the queue times are very nice.  I can PvP my heart out all night solid.  If you start dividing the same playerbase that is running 4 BG's now into 10?  Not so hot.

One or two more probably wouldn't be a big deal, but there will be a breakpoint that starts to affect queue times substantially.  Plus, they'll then have that many more BG's for people to bitch about how "unfair" they are for their side as opposed to the other.  Will having 2-3 more AV's make your gaming experience better?

Maybe they'll come out with some BG that has a really neat twist to it for some additional fun, but my limited mind can't come up with it right now.  If all they add is another AB or EoTS with different looks and more or less flags, my PvP experience won't be improved.  Maybe this promise of long ranged comabt and destructible buildings will be the bee's knees?

Adding different maps to the same bgs wouldn't increase queue times.  They did it for arenas.

I am the .00000001428%
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 08:32:08 AM

I disagree with most people in this thread.  I think the first post was about as well reasoned correctly spelled as you can get, and he nicely kept his head from exploding like a lot of intarnet pundits.  He even used the word "amalgam" correctly.

I guess the first instinct is to just say 'lolraiders' and move on, and I agree he probably spent too much time playing the game, but the post in itself was well-written.  And like he says, I don't see how it can be whining if he says up front: if you don't care about what I'm about to write, don't read it.

Witty banter not included.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 08:40:46 AM

Blizzard no longer cares about the hardcore gamers, be that the raiders or the pvpers. Well, we're done with it. It wasn't just one thing really. While we were all excited to get some tier6 for our freshly 70 alts from this new badge gear, there's a part of you that just has to feel some pain when you look back at all the time you spent farming instances...for nothing.

I polish my shitty quest greens with his tears.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 08:53:12 AM

I disagree with most people in this thread.  I think the first post was about as well reasoned correctly spelled as you can get, and he nicely kept his head from exploding like a lot of intarnet pundits.  He even used the word "amalgam" correctly.

I guess the first instinct is to just say 'lolraiders' and move on, and I agree he probably spent too much time playing the game, but the post in itself was well-written.  And like he says, I don't see how it can be whining if he says up front: if you don't care about what I'm about to write, don't read it.

In every game you get to the point where everything gets old and it's time to quit.  There is no need to make GINORMOUS LOOK AT ME IM QUITTING IM SO IMPORTNAT  threads.

You just cancel and move on.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:24 AM

Saying that is a lame tactic to try and avoid criticism.  If he truly, TRULY didn't want othe hardcore people to rise up to the cry of "Yeah, give us harcore people shit to make us special again!" then there was no reason to post it on the front page, and a discussion thread in the public parts of their forum.   It's real simple to post the "we're not going to raid anymore, bye" bit in your private forum and simply dissapear.  But that doesn't get you eyeballs and attention.

The second post I quoted was the first in the series (since I just ripped it from their front page.).   The "stop whining you internet dweebs, it wasn't FOR YOU." post was after the first started to circulate and people were doing the "LOLZ hardcore" laugh & dance, in an attempt to spin the aftermath.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 09:21:14 AM

I kind of have to agree with a lot of his point. The second (first on page) post was well done IMO. The first post did seem like "Wahhhhhh casual wahhh epics" but the longer post was well done.

He has some good points. His guild like raiding hardcore, and the game isnt offering what they are looking for anymore, so they are not going to freak out and try and make the game something its not. I have much more respect for people like him who say "This isnt fun for us ant more, we are quitting" than the people who constantly whine and moan about how not fun the game is, yet continue to play day in and day out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: #3 guild in the US quits WoW.  
Jump to: