Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Viva Piņata - Rare, Ltd. - XBox 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viva Piņata - Rare, Ltd. - XBox 360  (Read 5874 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 01, 2008, 11:10:01 AM

Well, I'm beginning this write-up after two sessions of the game, around 3-4 hours in total so far. It's essentially a kind of cutesey farming/breeding sim, with kid, or family-friendly graphics and such. In the first hours, though, I've been struggling to find the game underneath all the extraneous bullshit and distractions so I can try to determine if it's fun or not. So far, it's mostly frustrating.

Not frustrating in the way a trickily-designed level or a tough boss fight are. No, this game is frustrating because of the constant interruptions.

Every 30 seconds-to-3 minutes whatever you're doing just stops, so that you can see the cutesey introduction to a new animal/Piņata, or one of the wacky-side characters such as the Nervous Doctor or Seed Guy, or because of some other random shit. These interruptions are always accompanied by your screen covering up with leaves or perhaps an Aztec-inspired pattern while it takes ten-ish seconds to load. Of course, by the 900th interruption the 10-second loads seem like 2-minute loads, so it doesn't become less painful.

So anyway, the point of the game. Well, it seems to be to breed your Piņata and make them do the "Romance Dance". The first time you get your Piņata to fuck dance, you get a little cinema showing them actually doing a cute little G-Rated dance inside their house. Speaking of which, Piņata Incest and inbreeding are just part of a normal day's routine as you basically just breed any two hermaphroditic members of a species together at any given time. The Piņata are cute though, so therefore it's not evil or twisted or fucked-up in any way, kids! You also hassle the Seed Guy when he visits around once per day for some new seeds, and also try to remember to water your plants, or they die.

That leads of course to the frustration at not having any ability to get Seed Guy to give you another seed of X type so you can attract another Piņata of Y type to make them a resident so you can breed the little fuckers so you can feed a spare one to the other Piņata that's hanging around so they become a resident. This can be alleviated, kinda, by paying a bunch of money to the Hunter Chick, who will then take a really really long time to hunt down a member of any Piņata species that's already been a resident.

All this while suffering an endless bombardment of "alerts" which contain important information such as "a snugglofagus has just looked sideways at your garden" and "a flower just grew". I mean, I've been gaming for more than 20 years, and I just wished the game would
1) Shut the fuck up.
2) Stop fucking interrupting me with annoying cinemas every 72 seconds.
3) For Fuck's Sake, just let me Play The Fucking Game!!

Oh yes, the point of the game. There's a Poke'Mon element to it in "trying to catch 'em all", or attracting the many different Piņata to your little plot of dirt and trying not to have them kill or eat one another. I'd say there's also that god sim element of having built something nice to look at, but I'm not sure if I can see that happening.

So, is it fun?

Well, no. Not really. It's more annoying and frustrating than anything else so far. It's teetering in between that "I want to play it again to see if it gets any better - maybe it'll stop fucking interrupting me trying to play it soon" and the abyss where Pack-In Games I Will Never Play Again go to rot.

I dunno. it might get better, it might become fun later, but on the strangth of the first couple of hours, it mostly just makes me want to punch my television.

----

Rent It.

Sent in by Azazel.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:12:09 AM by schild »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 03:31:46 PM

Should be:

The first time you get your Piņata to fuck dance
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:33:48 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:32:34 PM

I thought fuck dance was funny.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:34:25 PM

I wish it were more of a fuck dance. The entertainment value would really go up.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:35:00 PM

I wish it were more of a fuck dance. The entertainment value would really go up.

True. It would also make the game hella uncomfortable.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:47:03 PM

Sounds like a game that needs PvP. Coming back to your Pinata park only to find shreds of paper blowing in the wind and candy entrails littering the ground as I put another notch in my club.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:00:52 AM

This game is not a kids game. It's sold as one, but it is fucking not. I was playing it with my cousin (she's 4) and she was loving it up to the moment where our snake pinata ate our cutesy mouse pinata. We fucking loved the mouse pinata. It was named and all. I spent the next two hours trying to explain why the snake didn't really eat the mouse, even if it very obviously did.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:28 AM

The mouse was turned into delicious candy!  Although I can see how that's a fairly  ACK! way to learn about death.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 12:43:14 PM

I guess kids' reactions could also depend on how much exposure kids have to Piņata before they see the game.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:46:42 PM

I got it (PC version) at Christmas.  My daughter (age 9) has played it two or three times.

She'd rather play the Sims2, Webkinz or Club Penguin.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:49 PM

This game is not a kids game. It's sold as one, but it is fucking not. I was playing it with my cousin (she's 4) and she was loving it up to the moment where our snake pinata ate our cutesy mouse pinata. We fucking loved the mouse pinata. It was named and all. I spent the next two hours trying to explain why the snake didn't really eat the mouse, even if it very obviously did.
this guy looks legit That's unfortunate. But it reminded of this webcomic that I never quite understood till I read your statement.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:37:35 AM

Viva Pinata = Herding Cats

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 12:02:26 PM

Viva Pinata = Herding Cats

This. The amount of horribly banal micromanagement killed it for me. And the (PC) interface. Straight mouse-driven ports of a six/eight-button controller-driven game do not work well.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:04:20 PM

FWIW, the controller interface ain't that crash hot either...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Viva Piņata - Rare, Ltd. - XBox 360  
Jump to: