Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 2873953 times)
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:38 AM

I agree with Signe. You lazy motherfuckers only need to look a page or two down to find the other thread! What the hell has happened to the mod/admin around here?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 08:35:29 AM

"Awesome" is a very subjective thing.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:01 AM

I'm sorry, I can't hear your complaining over all the awesome.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 10:13:51 AM

Or for a different kind of awesome. 

What happens when you mix a polar bear with some chained up sled dogs?

They play together.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 10:36:17 AM

AAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!  awesome, for real this guy looks legit

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 10:42:02 AM

Where's the frame where the polar bear gets bored with the dog and rips it to shreds?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 11:17:23 AM

Polar bear plays with doggies?

Tre awesome.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:44 AM

Polar bear plays with doggies?

Tre awesome.
Now we know where Snow Beast came from!

ACK!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 06:35:11 PM

I have a new desktop for the first time in about 6 months. Thankyou.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 06:39:06 PM

Avalanches photographed in progress on Mars:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 05, 2008, 06:42:08 PM

That's just beyond cool....
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #46 on: March 05, 2008, 07:29:22 PM

I know its made its rounds on the Internet, but I think this is the most truly awesome, in the original sense of the word, picture that I've ever seen:

Hundreds of galaxies (GALAXIES) all found in a random spot in the sky about 1/30th the diameter of the full moon.  The vastness of this universe is truly humbling.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 07:55:40 PM

That's the first time I've seen that actually.

If I could change my career at the snap of a finger, I'd be an astronomer.  There's just so much cool stuff out there to see.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a really good telescope the last couple of years, but know nothing about them, and even less about astronomy itself.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 07:58:15 PM

That is indeed a classic. Here is a higher res and bigger version if you want to focus in on individual galaxies:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0403/hudf_hst_big.jpg

Click on the image and it will jump up in size.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:55 PM

Over and out.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:12 PM

Just think - hiding somewhere in one of those galaxies is most assuredly some form of alien life that can't wait to rip our heads off and lay eggs in our intestines.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 11:01:08 PM

I prefer to think that in one of those galaxies theres some form of alien life that consist entirely of sex starved hot naked blue chicks.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Llava
Contributor

Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 01:19:51 AM

Either way, we both of a lot of empty space to sift through before we can even find each other, much less get there.

We'll probably blow ourselves up before then.

So, looking at it like that, it's probably better for them to be insectoids who want to rip our heads of and lay eggs in our intestines.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 04:37:13 AM

Most pictures taken by Hubble are actually black and white, then they let loose some nut on LSD to smear pretty colors all over so whenever I see one of these impressive pictures I just think to myself "shop'd".
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 05:35:16 AM

Most pictures taken by Hubble are actually black and white, then they let loose some nut on LSD to smear pretty colors all over so whenever I see one of these impressive pictures I just think to myself "shop'd".

Keyboard.  You owe me one.  Grin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 06:11:48 AM

Man. Wonder how one goes about being the guy who gets to play coloring book with Hubble images. ME WANT
Ravandor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 07:31:30 AM

Well, to a point.  Most of the pictures that they use to show off are taken in black and white, but the white represents one of 3 or 4 colors (essentially the equivalent of blue, green, yellow, and red).  They color in the white with the "proper" color and then overlay and combine them.  At this point the press people at STScI  (essentially the Hubble Institute) go to an artist they have on staff and say, "Make it look pretty."  So overall it's not real, but if you know where they started there is still some good information there.  For instance, in the Hubble Deep Field picture above any galaxy that looks blue is in fact mostly blue and full of large, hot, young stars.  It's all about trying to define what color really means, and that's a longer discussion.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 08:13:55 AM

I know Hubble produces good science I just don't like how they allow people to believe that these pictures are real, their beauty is mostly from the spectacular colours, which themselves are mostly bullshit.  If you were to somehow get close enough to that blue galaxy to see it with the naked eye it almost certainly wouldn't actually be blue.  At best they are using the color blue to denote heat or a high concentration of a particular molecule and at worst the artist who was told to make it look sexy just made it up.

Hey danny, make this original photo look good so we can release it:

Sure thing boss, I thougt a combination of aqua-greens and deep yellow-orange would really make it pop!:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:33:03 PM by Miasma »
Ravandor
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:20 AM

Well, the light from the edges of the object is likely due to the 656.3nm emission line from single ionized hydrogen, which is in the red part of the spectrum.  Looking down through the middle of the object is likely a dense region of singly and doubly ionized oxygen, with emission line wavelengths of 323.7nm and a few lines ~500 nm, all of which are in the blue/blue-green part of the visible spectrum. 

Is that what the object would look like if we were there in space?  No.  The main reason for that is the gas is at such a low density there just isn't enough light being made for your eyes to pick up the individual colors.  But it's the closest approximation to what the emission line spectra are telling us about the object.  I also know that the artists typically (~50-75%) of the time talk to the astronomers who took the images to find out what colors they should work with.  The exact shade of red and blue are up to the artist, but  the starting colors are pretty much set in stone.  (Again, this is true for most pictures.  I have seen some of them with the colors completely out of whack, but they're good for the most part.)

Edit: Clarifying wavelengths and colors.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:31:20 AM by Ravandor »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 02:25:19 PM

The pretty colors aren't what impresses me.  The whole vastness of the universe thing, that's what I thought was noteworthy.  The whole "Hm, I live on a planet that can house billions of people just like me, and it's a speck of dust compared to a real planet like Jupiter, which itself is hilariously small next to the Sun, which is dwarfed by a lot of other stars, and our galaxy is composed of billions of those stars, and there are billions of galaxies, each full of billions of stars with their own planets.  Stressing about work seems kind of silly right now." thing.

Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 05:45:43 PM

For instance, in the Hubble Deep Field picture above any galaxy that looks blue is in fact mostly blue and full of large, hot, young stars.  It's all about trying to define what color really means, and that's a longer discussion.

I prefer to think that in one of those galaxies theres some form of alien life that consist entirely of sex starved hot naked blue chicks.

Ravandor proves Teleku right with science.

Also: Avalanches on Mars makes me think of "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion." So...
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #61 on: March 06, 2008, 08:38:36 PM

The pretty colors aren't what impresses me.  The whole vastness of the universe thing, that's what I thought was noteworthy.  The whole "Hm, I live on a planet that can house billions of people just like me, and it's a speck of dust compared to a real planet like Jupiter, which itself is hilariously small next to the Sun, which is dwarfed by a lot of other stars, and our galaxy is composed of billions of those stars, and there are billions of galaxies, each full of billions of stars with their own planets.  Stressing about work seems kind of silly right now." thing.

I assume everyone has seen this and this. I have real trouble imagining such scale.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #62 on: March 06, 2008, 09:04:21 PM

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:10:03 AM by WayAbvPar »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:19 PM

Giant picture quote removed by schild. Once is enough thx.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:42:12 PM by schild »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #64 on: March 06, 2008, 11:20:49 PM

Looking at those galaxy pictures, anyone know where to get a nice large picture of a solar flare? Google is being a bitch.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:16 AM

Looking at those galaxy pictures, anyone know where to get a nice large picture of a solar flare? Google is being a bitch.

Try here: SOHO Gallery
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #66 on: March 07, 2008, 04:36:58 AM

I think this is awesome:

Ravandor
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 06:04:05 AM

As was said, the SOHO gallery is the best place to look.  Also, here are a couple from the Astronomy Picture of the Day archive.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 06:51:38 AM

I know Hubble produces good science I just don't like how they allow people to believe that these pictures are real, their beauty is mostly from the spectacular colours, which themselves are mostly bullshit.  If you were to somehow get close enough to that blue galaxy to see it with the naked eye it almost certainly wouldn't actually be blue.  At best they are using the color blue to denote heat or a high concentration of a particular molecule and at worst the artist who was told to make it look sexy just made it up.

Not really.  Ravandor does a good job of talking to this.  They are done to entertain the public as well as the scientists (hey, everybody likes pretty pictures), but they're based on something very real.  Astronomy is all about light - looking for both specific emission lines (such as the ionized gas mentioned), or absorbtion lines.  Astronomy relies heavily on light to determine properties of an object.  So, when taking photos of something they're likely to get multiple shots, each of which is "black and white", or more specifically, targetted to specific frequencies of light which do not always have to be visible.  Some shots are composites of visible light, but others aren't.  In some cases the light is redshifted enough to not even be visible, even if it originally was.  Or what is visible was originally above UV.  Or the contrast on something is so great that you can't see the greater structure.  When talking about astronomy, especially very far away things like the deep image, what an object "really" looks like requires some amount of definition.  I would argue that they are real, at least as real as we can get; it is showing actual structure of the objects photographed, with colors that are pretty but also mean something.  

Anyway, some solar flare stuff...
The Sun in 3D!
Pretty
Pretty
The Sun in three colors of UV
Sun's corona
Sunspot up close.  Each of those cell like structures is the size of Australia.
Pretty

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #69 on: March 08, 2008, 06:26:28 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 324 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  
Jump to: