Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 2932188 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8855 on: August 31, 2013, 08:39:31 PM

If anyone got over the last shark picture and is considering to go swimming again:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8856 on: September 01, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8857 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:58 PM

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #8858 on: September 01, 2013, 07:05:36 PM

Yeah, that helicopter is a cool effect.  The photographer matched the shutter speed of the camera to the frequency of the blades. Longer version.

Over and out.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8859 on: September 02, 2013, 06:39:52 PM

I was thinking there was some nutty thing a helicopter pilot could do to glide for short distances.  swamp poop   That makes much more sense. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8860 on: September 02, 2013, 06:54:39 PM

I believe part of helicopter training is in fact landing with the main rotor off.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8861 on: September 02, 2013, 07:05:37 PM

I believe part of helicopter training is in fact landing with the main rotor off.

The rotor is powered off, but it still spins (it's called an autorotation landing).  A helicopter with it's rotor locked flies about as well as a truck.  Even if you could get enough airspeed for the rotor blades to provide lift (which itself wouldn't be possible normally), on one side of the rotor the blades are always facing backwards, so only one side would be providing lift, and the helicopter would flip over.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8862 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45:30 PM

Watch the video never more linked.  It's clearly exactly what he described, as the copter hovers, dips and rises without the rotor moving.  Goddamn eerie.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8863 on: September 03, 2013, 05:38:23 AM

I believe Lakov and Kail were just providing color to the commentary, they aren't saying that helicopter is powered off.

I agree that it's damned eerie.  Funny how deeply embedded an concept can get - helicopter just looks wrong flying without it's blades moving.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8864 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:31 AM

Color commentary, I like that.  Yes I was talking about auto-rotation landing, with the motor off the blades will still spin from the air as the helicopter moves downward.  It sounds super crazy and scary but if your engine fails you aren't completely fucked, which it good.  Though I think if your tail rotor goes out you are proper fucked.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8865 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:39 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8866 on: September 03, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

Superbly awesome pic, K9!   For reals.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8867 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:54 PM

Superbly awesome pic, K9!   For reals.

Seconded. Those are what? MK I's? And the Master?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8868 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:34 AM

Has to be a shop, those turntables have pitch sliders and that was not added to anything Technics until after he died.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:52:23 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #8869 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:58 AM

Has to be a shop, those turntables have pitch sliders and that was not added to anything Technics until after he died.

Good eye man. I didn't even think to catch that.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #8870 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:58 AM

It is, but still an awesome picture.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #8871 on: September 04, 2013, 06:24:57 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8872 on: September 04, 2013, 12:42:05 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

Reply #8873 on: September 04, 2013, 12:45:41 PM

As I started in on that I kept thinking of Calvin and Hobbes. Glad to see he still has it... Now if he would just stop teasing and draw up a new book.  awesome, for real

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #8874 on: September 04, 2013, 12:54:42 PM

It's Bill Watterson's words but the strip was drawn by Aung Than in Watterson's style.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8875 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:10 PM

As I started in on that I kept thinking of Calvin and Hobbes. Glad to see he still has it... Now if he would just stop teasing and draw up a new book.  awesome, for real

There is no teasing and there will be no new book.  He's gone to some considerable lengths to remain out of the public eye since stopping.  Heis done with the strip and there won't be a return.  Considering some of his few statements said he recognizes a lot of it as the work of a younger man, I don't think we'd be happy if he did attempt a return.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8876 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:00 AM

I think it's sad that the dad in that strip has decided to take his daughter along on his suicide attempt at the end.
Terracotta Army

Reply #8877 on: September 05, 2013, 07:16:32 AM

There is no teasing and there will be no new book.  He's gone to some considerable lengths to remain out of the public eye since stopping.  Heis done with the strip and there won't be a return.  Considering some of his few statements said he recognizes a lot of it as the work of a younger man, I don't think we'd be happy if he did attempt a return.

That is what I thought, but stranger things have happened.

The art style is dead on in that strip which did its job to rekindle my fondness for his series. I don't think anyone would expect a resurrection of Calvin and Hobbes, but a new theme strip about another character, adult or older adult with the same style. Ah well... can't fault him for it, he did the ultimate Costanza, leaving the room on top.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8878 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:08 AM

Yea that. He had a unique sense that I'd bet is still unique enough to make a serial out of. And I'd much rather have a modern strip than anything like the transition from Bloom County>Outland. Both were fine in their own ways, but chronologically too close to not be compared.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8879 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:33 PM

I spoilered my original post, because I'm wrong.  I re-read his Wiki article and here's the man's own words about stopping from an interview with the Plain Dealer 3 years ago. (Go Cleveland.)

This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of ten years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, ten, or twenty years, the people now "grieving" for Calvin and Hobbes would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them. I think some of the reason Calvin and Hobbes still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it. I've never regretted stopping when I did.

In short, he feels he has nothing more to say. Even now, 18 years on.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:44:49 PM by Merusk »

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8880 on: September 05, 2013, 12:22:58 PM

I've always hated the Calvin pissing on things stickers. Fuck those people.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8881 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:51 PM

He pulled a Rimbaud. Good for him. He's probably right about leaving the strip when he did. Newspaper comics have long since lost all sense of funny and I assume he's well off enough that he doesn't have to put himself through that grind again.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #8882 on: September 05, 2013, 01:59:07 PM

I have the complete collection (3 big books) and go through them from time to time. Haemish is probably right about Waterson being probably right about leaving when he did, but it's still a shame. I'd love to read more of it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8883 on: September 05, 2013, 02:29:04 PM

I wouldn't.

The guy said he was done.  I have no interest in reading someone so brilliant writing/drawing something he's not happy with.  It would be awful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8884 on: September 05, 2013, 08:03:55 PM

Yup.

Plus he hated the restrictions of the format.  Which is why it's so awesome he had such a lasting impact on the Sunday strip format.  I loved reading the annotated sections of the 10th anniversary book for insight in to that struggle.

And because fuck you all;  Here's a series that's always been one of my favorites for so, so many reasons.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8885 on: September 05, 2013, 08:12:08 PM

That is so gay.

*rubs eyes*

Something in my eyes dammit.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #8886 on: September 05, 2013, 10:37:44 PM

Heh,

I've kept this link for a long while, and I'm glad the page is still up.  I like to view it every now an then because these still give me a giggle fit like nothing else

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #8887 on: September 06, 2013, 01:21:49 AM

Heh. All this Calvin and Hobbes stuff. Been a long time since I read those comics, time to break the books out.

Thanks.
Terracotta Army

Reply #8888 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:46 AM

The snowmen theme in C&H I actually snipped out of the newspaper all those years ago because they were that funny to me, more so they were THAT creative.

I fully understand the man not having it anymore or not wanting to try and rekindle that old flame. I get those spurts where I am write pages of well developed funny ideas, then go months without any inspiration - and I just do it as a leisurely hobby. I can also understand not wanting to come back and tarnish the name by coming up with something inferior. I would advocate that if he ever was bursting with ideas and needed and outlet, to run it under a pseudonym; but then again, his style and illustrations are so unique to him, I doubt he could get away with not being outed.

Oddly enough, this newspaper comic strip has had an interesting effect in that it had so many fans. If you were alive when he was doing these, you know about that and frankly I don't know anyone who read the original strip at that time who dislikes C&H. In fact, most people I know still chat about their favorite strips. All from a newsprint comic strip.

And yeah, fuck those car/truck stickers.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8889 on: September 06, 2013, 04:41:47 AM

The thing that is so amazing about C&H is that he was able to go to some really deep and meaningful place in a very limited space and in very few panes.  Totally unique.  He basically ruined all other comics, because they were stupid and superficial in comparison.  The only other one I look back on as being worth a damn is Far Side, which also managed to pull of a single pane full of hystericalness.

Also, I have the advantage on most of you in that I probably haven't even read half of Watterson's C&H stuff, so I still have it to look forward to.  If only the books weren't so expensive.  They need a kindle version or something.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 324 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  
Jump to: