Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:01:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Hellboy II trailer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellboy II trailer  (Read 16627 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:49 PM

The issue with Rodriguez quitting the guild was merely a legal issue. It sucks, yeah, but it had nothing to do with them trying to cockblock Miller specifically. There are rules to that sort of thing, and Rodriguez was too stoked/impatient to wait on the project to get rolling. If a similar situation popped up in some kind of labor union, you'd get a similar outcome.

Besides, unions are probably the most benevolent element in hollywood. I know there are bad guys in that industry, but they're not it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 03:22:26 PM

The length of a feature film is deceptive. There's a lot crammed in that two hours, and a lot of depth and subtlety in the storywriting when it's done right.

You can cram a lot in, but you're still limited to one doing one major story arc per movie for a lack of a better way of putting it.  I'd rather have Geoff Johns doing his work on Green Lantern and JSA among other things, and able to write mutiple story arcs in the time it would take him to do one movie.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 04:12:28 PM

The best geek goody money can buy.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Cim
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 06:08:54 PM

I like that cup!

Theres a place on your face that can save the human race, its called a smile, the positivity that it creates takes awhile, but the grin will turn an inch into a mile.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 04:44:17 AM

I thought "V for Vendetta" worked very well as an adaptation and as a film of our time. If it had been a straight take and been about Thatcherist England, it would have been outdated and off-target.

I don't doubt that Hollywood is a bitch of a place for writers (see: the current strike) but in most cases Moore is just being a stubborn bastard.

For the record, I didn't think LXG was that bad a movie (no, it wasn't a great film); if they had done a straight take of the first run of the comic, it would have been a very boring movie.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:51 PM

For the record, I didn't think LXG was that bad a movie (no, it wasn't a great film); if they had done a straight take of the first run of the comic, it would have been a very boring movie.

I'm going to do you a favor and ignore that whole bit.  Your post had way more credibility before this.  Yes, it really was that bad a movie.  Go back and watch it again.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 06:19:15 PM

I'm going to do you a favor and ignore that whole bit.  Your post had way more credibility before this.  Yes, it really was that bad a movie.  Go back and watch it again.

I've seen LXG at least twice. It is hilariously bad, but it wasn't eye-gougingly bad. That honour in 2006 was reserved for Van Helsing.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 07:26:35 PM

No.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:43 PM

I've seen LXG at least twice. It is hilariously bad, but it wasn't eye-gougingly bad. That honour in 2006 was reserved for Van Helsing.
There is nothing eye-gouging about Kate Whatsherface in tight pants and frilly shirts.  Mind-numbing and drool inducing 'entertainment' perhaps.

LXG was, however, eye-gougingly bad.  I wanted my money back even though I saw it when a friend rented it through NetFlix.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Llava
Contributor

Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:55 PM

Yes.

(Van Helsing was silly and melodramatic and it set that context in the first 5 seconds of the film.  It's not the movie's fault that it wasn't what you wanted it to be.)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: January 07, 2008, 08:19:03 AM

No, Van Helsing was just shit. Kate's ass in leather could not save that movie, and I should have turned it off after Dracula first appeared with that accent. It was shitty shit shit shit.

LXG was bad, but it wasn't anywhere near that bad. It was a bad version of the comic story, it was a cheesy fest of silliness, and it had Tom Fucking Sawyer, but it wasn't Van Helsing.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 08:24:46 AM

OK, knocking Tom Sawyer is Alan Moore's schtick. Fuck him. I'm glad they rubbed that in his face.

That being said, the movie was really bad. No argument there. But it wasn't because of Tom Sawyer!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: January 07, 2008, 08:56:49 AM

Tom Sawyer was an American icon, that was written into a collection of British pulp characters, who shouldn't even have been the age he was at that time. It was a character shoehorned into something he had no business being in because some asshead producer thought American audiences wouldn't identify with non-American characters. The concept was ludicrous on its face.

And yet I liked the movie.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:01 AM

Guillermo del Toro is awesome.

Queue Eff Tee, motherfuckers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 08:44:11 AM

Del Toro has another movie due for release called The Orphanage. It's being compared to The Others, so it should be a solid thriller/horror flick. Still, I'm definitely higher on Del Toro working on projects with more of an action flavor.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 09:16:44 AM

Del Toro has another movie due for release called The Orphanage. It's being compared to The Others, so it should be a solid thriller/horror flick. Still, I'm definitely higher on Del Toro working on projects with more of an action flavor.

It's already in release.  I got it at my theater last week, but haven't watched it yet.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:45 PM

Doh!

BTW, LXG was bad, but Van Helsing was so awful I couldn't sit through the whole thing. With Van Helsing, I wanted gore, cursing, and T & A the way Coppola did it in his Dracula flick. That one had Keanu and it still managed to be awsome (Garry Oldman FTW).

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #52 on: January 08, 2008, 01:38:49 PM

Bram Stoker's Dracula was the last time Winona looked smoking hot, hotter than Kate at her best.

I have never played WoW.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 06:56:09 PM

Well, all I can say is that Roger Ebert agrees with me.  Van Helsing may not have delivered what you wanted, but it delivered what it promised.  Yes, it was fucking silly.  It was supposed to be.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Well, all I can say is that Roger Ebert agrees with me.  Van Helsing may not have delivered what you wanted, but it delivered what it promised.  Yes, it was fucking silly.  It was supposed to be.

Van Helsing was promoted as the next great action franchise, ala Indiana Jones. It was a long way from delivering what was promised.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 12:03:10 AM

Not at all what I pulled from those commercials, but that's a matter of interpretation.  By "what it promised" I'm referring to the first couple minutes of the movie indicating what you should expect.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 12:23:49 AM

Not at all what I pulled from those commercials, but that's a matter of interpretation.  By "what it promised" I'm referring to the first couple minutes of the movie indicating what you should expect.

By which point people had already paid their money.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #57 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:00 AM

Yes, fine, fair enough.  I honestly don't really care to continue to defend a movie I found passably entertaining.  Hate it all you want.

LXG was worse. That's all.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #58 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:41 AM

Yes, fine, fair enough.  I honestly don't really care to continue to defend a movie I found passably entertaining.  Hate it all you want.

LXG was worse. That's all.

LXG was worse in the respect that its existance actively discourages people who have never read the comic to actually give it a try.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Hellboy II trailer  
Jump to: