Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dream of Mirror Online - Aeria Games - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dream of Mirror Online - Aeria Games - PC  (Read 10459 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 20, 2007, 02:06:39 PM

From Rendakor:
Another KMMO, with a Job Class system similar to FF5/FFT. Except, like most KMMOs, there's a grind involved. Specifically 10 levels of bullshit as a Commoner before you can really customize your character. Does it get fun after that? Hell if I know. Advancement is painfully slow, and with nothing but autoattack and harvesting skills I got bored fast.

Graphics are standard KMMO anime-esque. A gimped WASD (no keys for turning, just foward/back/strafe) or click-to-move, controls aren't customizable at all.
-
Rating: Don't waste your time.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:10:19 AM

I disagree with this review.  Heartbreak

At the first 10 levels the game is extremely retarded but if you follow the tutorial quests..which actually is quite 'well done' for a translated import you can leap frog to lvl 5-8 easily..and they even give you a town portal that recharges every 1 hour. Suckers who thinks the game is all grind probably skipped it and wondered how the fuck people return to town so quickly.

At lvl 10, that's when the game start to shine. I didn't expect much from this game since it's F2P and still in OB stage, but the customization really impressed me, I daresay I would pick this game over L2 even if someone paid me to play L2.

At first, I started a Wizard class. Having high power nukes is a nice thing; I could 2-3 shot stuff the grind was tolerable but the mp drain downtime was not, I decided to do a little research on the 'secondary' class system where you could combine 2 active and 2 passive skill sets from any classes. After doing some research, I decided upon the Shaman class that has self-buff for MP regen. Grinding it to lvl 18 unlocked it, then I switched back to my lvl 20 Wizard who happily used the buff to make him go further in his grinding. On top of that, I can use the shaman nukes as well, saving me time when my spells are on cooldown.

Later, my friends decided to join me and found out they're severely 'outleveled' by my current characters 20 wizard/18 shaman. Usually in other MMOs, there's not much choice except to powerlvl them or 'sidekick' system in COH. In DOMO however, I did the Doctor class change and helped them catch up with the doc buffs+ heal, levelling together. This is pretty nice, and the docs can use the shaman mp regen buff as well. We managed to hit 18 (my doc as well), and I switched back to my Wiz who now has gained access to some of the doctor's buff such as self regen and max HP buffs.  smiley

This is pretty neat stuff in my opinion, and shows that beneath all that cutesy anime crap that some people may find a turn off, there's a good gameplay. The devs actually put much thought into it and said ...'hmmm there's a grind...but there's the fun in combo classes' 

But I guess if don't have enough time to 'have fun in a grindy way' you should give this game a miss.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:37:45 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:13:27 AM

Well then. It's a forum. Go ahead and explain what you like.

For the record, here's my thoughts:
Leveling seemed fast and painless.
GUI was very, very nice.
Class system was decent.
Cel-Shading filter rocked.

Other than that, it didn't actually give me a REASON to play. And it was entirely unintuitive.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:48:13 AM

I would also like to add the party mechanics of 6 classes are quite hectic when playing with seasoned teams. As a doctor I was watching the hp bar constantly as the Tank would take hits from 10-20 mobs while the Thieves do quick pulls on the loose mobs around us. Not to mention the AOE wizard being squishy when he pulls aggro, thankfully the Musician is around to help out with the MP recovery.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:08:11 AM

Sounds like a K-grind MMO, a scattershot of cool stuff but as a whole there isn't any reason to play the damn game.  Sometimes they have some sort of bizarre faction based pvp in theory that you need to be the equivalent of L76 + S grade gear grind-ed to participate in and other times your not even sure why you should play beyond making your character stronger in a world that only consists of bags of loot/exp.

Of course if you've done that several times already, you know how hollow and shallow having a ub3r character in such a world is.  This is why you aren't currently playing WoW, duh.  Add to that that <insert K-grind MMO name here> is populated by the 7-17yr old set primarily and there is even less reason to stick around.

This isn't a knock on Korean game Dev's, I wish they were designing the core combat/class mechanics of games like WAR and AoC, I think they do a better job then fucking pisspoor reiterations of EQ1 that we get from the western giants.  But currently their market niche dictates that there be no minigames, no world beyond towns where people set up item shops and zones where people get loot/xp and certainly no player freedom.  Which, for someone with a global /played as high as mine means I just can't get up for their games anymore...

Honestly I've been wanting to write an article on the subject but I'm lazy and suffer from mild cases of alcoholism, ocd and add.  Which really gets in the way of writing useful things.  smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:09:54 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:10:35 AM

suffer from mild cases of alcoholism, ocd and add.

This is the only way to write. Take up smoking also.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:39:52 PM

In my defense, I wrote this when I was level 7 or 8. Finished the tutorial at 5, then got sent to kill 20 Pupus or something. The single click combat with no clickable attack skills at all got real old real fast. And the purpose of this forum isnt traditional, "beat the game" reviews, it is first impressions. And my first impression was a boring hollow early game.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 10:42:38 PM

You don't need defense, early game is Everything. :)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:57:35 PM

It might be an MMO, but it's still (supposed to be) a game. Games are (supposed to be) fun.

To look at WoW, being the preeminent Diku of the west, they give you nice controls and some different buttons to click from level 1 amd keep adding them all the way through to 10 and beyond.

Needing to grind to 10 before you can start playing the game doesn't sound like fun to me at all, rather, it sounds lik Epic Fail.
(And I prefer he levelling, questing game of WoW to the level 70 raiding game. PVP was fun, but it's fallen down recently and is shallow as fuck anyway.)

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 04:47:10 PM

huh? I don't feel the same shit about my hunter in WoW's 1-10 game.
That class is just gimp without a pet.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 06:13:41 PM

Hunter was the first character I rolled in WoW. I still felt like I was able to do stuff, and then when I got my pet it was even more wow.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dream of Mirror Online - Aeria Games - PC  
Jump to: