Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How about an empire wardec? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about an empire wardec?  (Read 36480 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14:38 PM

They seem to feel the lack of T2 ships is somehow a drawback in a high-sec war. :)
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:04 AM

"genrous bean counters?"  Head scratch

I wonder if we start making it a habit to wardec people who can't seem to comprehend the English language just to see if they hold on to their big words.

When considering ore thievery, it's not something I personally would like to even be remotely connected to. Ever since I can recall vulturing is the lowest of lows in MMOs. Kill me, loot me, I'm fine with that, but it takes no skill to make an alt and start dragging other peoples loot into your backpack or cargo hold. I know EVE has measures against this, with flagging and locked containers, but it's disrespectful against anyone and in EVE ore thievery is the most frowned upon profession, even when it's one of the oldest. The strongest measure against it will always be the condemnation from the general playerbase.

I am more lenient with EVE however, simply because it can get dull very fast and any alternative activity shouldn't be overlooked (cybering services for ISK, suicide ganking, etc), but vulturing is just resorting to the simplest way to annoy and anger other players. Of course I can forgive a person for doing it. I have quite fond memories of explaining newbies why they shouldn't vulture and gaining a little mutual respect that way. A few I still talk to this day and a couple I've even met in person later on.

So yeah, sorry for the derail </moral police>
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: February 08, 2008, 02:18:25 AM

Why do you guys always have to declare war on morons? Aren't there any nice people for you to declare war on?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 08, 2008, 03:13:38 AM

Why do you guys always have to declare war on morons? Aren't there any nice people for you to declare war on?
I support the Darwinian approach to PvP...

Bat Country

Making the EVE universe a better place, 1 pod-kill at a time.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:54 AM

Why would I want to declare war on a great tactical genius? *boggle*

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 08, 2008, 03:40:44 AM

I think Gets has a point. F13 should think hard whether it wants to get labelled as an ore thief corp. There's a reason most ore thieves are alts.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 08, 2008, 03:43:50 AM

It baffles me that e-pirates draw the line at ore stealing. (I'm not saying I'd do it or have done it; I'm still a newbie!)

It just doesn't make sense. Eve is about lying, killing, and stealing!

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 08, 2008, 04:04:34 AM

I think Gets has a point. F13 should think hard whether it wants to get labelled as an ore thief corp. There's a reason most ore thieves are alts.
I don't think F13 is planning on doing it. Hoax is thinking about it, but so far the most I've heard about it is Bhodi blowing one up.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 08, 2008, 04:36:59 AM

I think my problem with ore thieving is that it seems to hit mostly the newbies. They're having a bad enough time mining goddam veldspar to scrape up money for their first cruiser without having somebody steal it. It's the kind of thing that makes someone quit in the trial period.

Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 08, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

I'm all for a wardec on ore thieves and grammar idiots.

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 08, 2008, 04:41:40 AM

We do alot of 'can flipping/flagging/swapping' either during slow wars or between wars (I wont call it ore theft because most of the time we will blow the can up, especially if the miner isnt biting), I think the reason it's looked down on so much is because (if you are align-stealing in a hauler) theres usually little risk and the theif stays docked up for the rest of the timer. Typically most jet canners are noobs and/or npc corp.

I guess the difference between ore theives and can flippers is a can flipper will eject his own can, move the ore into that and hang around for the fireworks

Personally (and this isnt something my corp enforces, just personal preferance) I wont flip jet canners flying anything smaller than a Destroyer/Cruiser - I'm not however picky about character age (they have to learn sooner or later) and while NPC corps are prefered (to avoid more surprises than what ship the guy might come back in) we do flip player corps (especially mining ops) if we're pretty sure we can solo them before backup arrives. Mining battleships (hopefully flown by people who purchased their account) are the best http://www.battleclinic.com/eve_online/pk/view.php?type=player&name=putit%20inme&filter=losses&id=3075465#mail (thats no ordinary Apoc!)

If I find someone ratting in a half decent frigate (Kestrel or Merlin for e.g.) I'd probably steal their loot to see if I can get a fight out of them (tends to get more bites than can flipping as the 'victim' thinks hes got a decent combat fit) and usually we try and achieve the kill in the smallest ship possible (Crows are good for this, I said small not fair!).

Its probably worth noting that alot of our empire war targets are determined by the amount of smack we get during can flips - the more smack the more likely they are of seeing more of us (plus we already know where they hang out).

On the flip side if someone is a good sport about it all I'm happy to give them pointers on ship fitting and how not to get hit next time, hell the last guy I killed I ended up giving him 5mil (he lost an Osprey and a Kestrel) because he was a really good sport about it.

Every once in a while you get some brave soul who thinks he can take it back and get away with it
http://kb.evefan.dk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22
(they put some mercs on us after this so we went to war with them after the mercs were gone)

Each pilot on the kill made 30mil each off the loot - ironically in chat afterwards he said he'd have paid 500mil ransom (unfortunately it was the first command ship we'd fought and I wanted the killmail) :-(

it's all pretty cut and dry, however, I am not clear on a few points:

1. If you loot someone's wreck / cargo container, you are red to them (able to be attacked). Are you red to their corp and/or their fleet / will they get concorded if they attack?
2. If you attack someone who looted you, so that they are red to you for 15m, does that make you able to be attacked freely by their corp and / or fleet?
3. If someone loots your wreck or container, does that make him able to be attacked by just your corp, your fleet, or only yourself?

I know the general rule is "If they aren't flashing red, you will get concorded if you attack". Who gets attack rights, when?

1. If they are in a player corp you are flagged to the whole corp (but not any alliance they are part of) but not any non-corp gang mates
2. No, if you attack a flagged target only that target can shoot you - the 'victim' is always in control of who can shoot him back
3. Inverse of 1. - Your whole corp can attack him

One of my guys in his early days flipped some guys can, the timer ran out, the guy came back in a Badger with 2 Ravens as backup. The Badger took back (and died) the Ravens thought they could now engage and got concorded (http://www.eve-pirate.com/index.php?/archives/790-The-last-wednesday-of-the-every-month-Payday.html)

Here are some freebies smiley

If a secure container is not anchored (lights are green) it can be stolen from just like a jet can (this will flag you) alternatively you could just scoop the can itself (which will _not_ flag you) - Secure containers cannot be anchored above 0.8 space!

If you are worried about getting someone flipping your can and you not noticing _never_ turn of the "theft" warning or dont jet can mine! (best thing is to mine with a hauler buddy, just use a bookmark or 1 unit of non-ore to keep the can open and grab the ore as soon as it hits the can - lag means that this is not 100% foolproof as I have stolen from people doing this in the past)

and if you want to can flip/ore steal beware of 'bait' cans/ship - the Osprey can be a formidable opponent when _not_ fitted for mining and beware of cloakers smiley

For those wondering why we don't go to lowsec......we do, and its typically empty unless you go to one of the 'hotspot' systems in which case youre probably going home in a pod or worse (we're a very small fish in that very big pond), then theres the sec hit to consider (I'm -1.3 currently).

Having said all that we don't get loads of kills from can flipping, partly because I'm neg sec and have a bounty, partly because in the area we typically flip we're quite known for it and partly because the victims learn quickly and pass their knowledge on so you do get diminishing returns on the time invested if you always flip in the same patch of space (and the loot is typically junk most of the time - although we do like T2 stip miners on those rare occasions you can get a barge pilot to play)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:17:45 AM by 5150 »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 08, 2008, 06:13:26 AM

Yeah, if you're in a player corp, the cans you jet are owned by the corp, so whoever steals gets flagged to the corp.  If you're in an NPC corp, the cans are owned by you. 

If you shoot a flagged thief he has a right to defend against you.  But he can't shoot at anyone who didn't attack first.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #152 on: February 08, 2008, 06:22:48 AM

WAH WAH Ore thieves got me, ore thieves are the scum of the universe. Like anything in this game, there are measures to allow yourself not to be stolen from. Like many other things in this game, an alt account is insanely useful. Instead of a can, you are basically throwing it to your haulers hold. When it fills up, you keep mining while you fly you alt to drop off the goods. I know, I know...not everyone can have an alt...but in this game be used to not doing everything the next guy can if you don't. Just how the game is. Also, anchoring a giant secure can make this ore thievery a non-issue. Thats why you see hundreds everywhere.

Of course, this is coming from a high sec suicide ganker....so take it for what its worth.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: February 08, 2008, 07:38:03 AM

/shrugs

Do what you like. I won't mention it again for fear of Slayerik going "waaah" at me again. Cause that always makes me cry.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #154 on: February 08, 2008, 08:16:06 AM

Yeah. Even though I'm technically a newbie (in terms of char SP) I'm definitely not in terms of my mining ship -- I've pretty much got what that apoc had, but in a rokh (better for mining anyway) minus the CPU IIs and MLU IIs -- I've got 4 MLU 1s and a named coprocessor to fit (oh, and now a warp scrambler mid).

Needless to say, I'm cautious about getting flagged and popped. I try and stack as much as I can - The only reason why I agressed these guys was it was a 7 man corp, and 3 of them were in belt, all 3 in haulers and with several day old characters. I aligned before scrambling just in case the cavalry warped in, plus I had 2 corpmates on their way.

I consider flipped cans a trap and had I been versus 5150, an experienced character, instead of a 3 day old newbie in a newbie corp, I'd have just eaten the loss and docked up or moved somewhere else.

After the incident, I went ahead and got a badger 1 on my alt to haul for me. I still jetcan, as I cycle my entire cargo hold every minute, and my alt with a badger 1 can just barely keep up by ferrying to the nearby station.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How about an empire wardec?  
Jump to: